Obligatory: not about weed
I'm looking for a window fan that:
- works, and won't spontaneously quit for no apparent reason after a month (or a week) of use
- moves enough air to ventilate a small- to medium-sized room
- is reasonably quiet (that is, doesn't vibrate on low settings, doesn't vibrate much on higher settings, doesn't rattle, and is durable enough that it doesn't develop vibration, rattling, or grinding (all of which indicate mechanical wear and possible failure) over time with normal use
- doesn't have flimsy/mushy components
- doesn't have any glaring design flaws (can't tolerate rain, lets in bugs, isn't reversible)
Reasonable criteria, you'd think. I'm willing to pay more for quality, if I can find
it.Wirecutter's top pick for window fans
started having serious quality control issues about a year ago, and their (distant) second pick is sold out everywhere. Frankly, though, reading reviews I get the impression that every window fan currently available is cheaply made with half-assed quality control at best, and if you want an actually good product you have to go vintage. Lots of people unfavorably comparing their brand new fan to their (or their parents') still-functioning, quieter, more powerful 30-year-old fan from the same company. Diving into the vintage rabbit hole looks exhausting, though. Also, most reviews aren't from experts; so it's hard to tell why
a particular model has the issues it does and whether there are ways to mitigate it. (Minimizing vibration by making sure it's installed correctly? Doable. Fixing imbalanced blades? Annoying, and I shouldn't have to; but still technically doable. Compensating for a defective circuit board or a badly-made motor, not so much.)
I'm not sure what the square footage of my apartment is. It's the top floor of what was originally a single-family home. It has windows on all four sides, so it's an ideal situation for cross-breezes. A whole-house/industrial fan is probably overkill (which is ironic, because industrial is where you start to get less-mushy quality). I'm fine with putting several smaller fans in different rooms.
The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.