As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game Deals] Thread: Occasional Low Prices

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Was that Hot Wheels DLC any good?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Frem wrote: »
    Forza Horizon 3 hits end of life on September 27th (yay car likeness licenses), so it's discounted to $10 for the base game on the Windows Store and Xbox. The "Ultimate" edition is also discounted, but does not include the Blizzard Mountain or Hot Wheels expansions; those are in the expansion pass (also discounted).

I was thinking this was the latest one for a moment and couldn't believe it, then I realized the newest is 4.

Still weird that they would just take down the DLC, though. Does it have to do with the license to use the cars or something?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Forza Horizon 3 hits end of life on September 27th (yay car likeness licenses), so it's discounted to $10 for the base game on the Windows Store and Xbox. The "Ultimate" edition is also discounted, but does not include the Blizzard Mountain or Hot Wheels expansions; those are in the expansion pass (also discounted).

I picked up the Ultimate to get all the cars and the Hot Wheels part. It was just a few more cents than picking up the base game and Hot Wheels Expansion.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

So how much is it for the game and lego add on? I feel like i have this througj gamepass maybe?

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    anoffday wrote: »

I was thinking this was the latest one for a moment and couldn't believe it, then I realized the newest is 4.

Still weird that they would just take down the DLC, though. Does it have to do with the license to use the cars or something?

That’s exactly what it is. They only license the car likenesses (and probably the music/other brands like Hot Wheels/Fast & Furious/etc) for so long, and when that contract is up they stop selling the game.

The game still exists and is playable, and for most Forzas at least the multiplayer still works. It’s just a “you can’t sell this game and make money on it after X years” thing.

This time it’s interesting though, as most other Forza games get included with Games With Gold right before they get delisted. This one isn’t yet, and there’s a CHANCE it could be a September GwG, but it’s hard to know.

And @RickRude
    Forza Horizon 3 has the Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels DLCs. FH3 has not been game pass.

Forza Horizon 4 has the Fortune Island and LEGO DLCs, and that one is currently in Game Pass.

Perrsun on
    So if I just have the base game, what should I buy now? The ultimate edition or the expansion pass?

steam_sig.png

edited August 2020
    So if I just have the base game, what should I buy now? The ultimate edition or the expansion pass?

Do you want a bunch of extra cars? Double wheel spins and a little crown by your name in multiplayer? Buy the Ultimate Edition.

Do you want to play the Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels stuff? Each with a whole new map to race around with its own trials and challenges and achievements and cars to earn? (This is the good stuff, especially Hot Wheels) Buy the expansion pass.

Do you want all of that? Buy both.

Perrsun on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Perrsun wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »

That’s exactly what it is. They only license the car likenesses (and probably the music/other brands like Hot Wheels/Fast & Furious/etc) for so long, and when that contract is up they stop selling the game.

The game still exists and is playable, and for most Forzas at least the multiplayer still works. It’s just a “you can’t sell this game and make money on it after X years” thing.

This time it’s interesting though, as most other Forza games get included with Games With Gold right before they get delisted. This one isn’t yet, and there’s a CHANCE it could be a September GwG, but it’s hard to know.

It could be worth waiting for the GwG announcement before pulling the trigger. If it isn't, which is possible, then interested parties could pick it up before the end of September.

edited August 2020
    Perrsun wrote: »

Do you want a bunch of extra cars? Double wheel spins and a little crown by your name in multiplayer? Buy the Ultimate Edition.

Do you want to play the Blizzard Mountain and Hot Wheels stuff? Each with a whole new map to race around with its own trials and challenges and achievements and cars to earn? (This is the good stuff, especially Hot Wheels) Buy the expansion pass.

Do you want all of that? Buy both.

I don't know what Double Wheel Spins are, and I don't plan on playing a ton of MP, so it sounds like if I don't care about getting new cars and just want the fun stuff, I should get the Expansion Pass only.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Weekly ads time, holding pattern edition:

Target Circle
    Nothing

Target
    Lots of pre-order info, not much else

Best Buy
    $59.99
    Sandisk 256GB Switch themed SD card

$49.99
    Astral Chain
    Outer Worlds switch

$39.99
    FF7 Remake
    RDR 2

$34.99
    Borderlands Collection switch
    Bioshock Collection switch

$29.99
    Shovel Knight Treasure Trove switch
    MLB The Show 20

$19.99
    GTAV
    Civ 6 switch
    WWE 2k20
    Death Stranding
    Nioh 2
    Days Gone
    Dreams
    MediEvil
    Everybody's Golf VR
    Concrete Genie

$16.99
    Witcher 3 ps4/xbo

$14.99
    Borderlands 3
    Power A Wired Pikachu controller

nusu on
    edited August 2020
    Weekly ads time, how long until black friday again? edition:

Target/Circle
    No deals listed, a couple pre-orders and recently released full price games

Best Buy
    Save 40-50% on select Sandisk memory for Switch

Save up to 50% on select digital Switch games

$39.99
    XCOM collection switch
    Borderlands collection switch
    Bioshock collection switch
    RE 7
    MK 11 Aftermath Collection

$29.99
    Jedi Fallen Order
    Sims 4 bundle

$24.99
    PvZ Battle for Neighborville

$19.99
    Civ 6 switch
    Sims 4 PC
    Far Cry 5
    Far Cry New Dawn
    Lego DC Villains switch

$16.99
    Lego Movie 2 the game switch

$14.99
    AC Odyssey
    Ghost Recon Breakpoint
    Borderlands 3
    Injustice 2 Legendary Ed

nusu on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    It's so weird seeing new Best Buy ads on Monday. Guess they're finally giving up on basing their campaigns around newspapers.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    It's a relatively recent change. There was a time that the company was doing three ads every week, but I'm sure that was confusing for customers who already can't read dates on coupons and want to yell at people because reasons.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited August 2020
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    It's so weird seeing new Best Buy ads on Monday. Guess they're finally giving up on basing their campaigns around newspapers.

They don't even really do ads anymore, they just refresh the top deals section of their web site.

nusu on
    The September Games with Gold have been announced, and they do not include Forza Horizon 3.

So if you were waiting to pull the trigger on that one, you’ve got about a month left before it’s gone.

edited August 2020
    Weekly ads time, school's in session (aka not a lot of deals) edition:

Target Circle
    nothing

Target
    Free Bitty Boomer with purchase of Marvel's Avengers

Best Buy
    $39.99
    RDR 2
    Power Rangers Battle for the Grid Switch

$32.99
    DMC 5

$26.99
    Fallout 76 Wastelanders

$19.99
    Just Dance 2020
    Mario + Rabbids
    Fifa 20
    NHL 20
    AC 3 Remastered
    AC Rebel Collection Swtich

$14.99
    Civ 6 Switch

nusu on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    I regret posting that Forza deal and purchasing it myself. The port has some bug where the world won't be fully load before or during races, resulting in 30 second freezes as terrain and objects pop in ahead. Multiple times a lap! The more I've played, the worse it's gotten. Load screens have gotten longer and longer too; from thirty seconds to over five minutes. Six hours in it's literally unplayable.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I regret posting that Forza deal and purchasing it myself. The port has some bug where the world won't be fully load before or during races, resulting in 30 second freezes as terrain and objects pop in ahead. Multiple times a lap! The more I've played, the worse it's gotten. Load screens have gotten longer and longer too; from thirty seconds to over five minutes. Six hours in it's literally unplayable.

Do you have the game on a SSD or spinning drive? Is there an update queued in Steam but hasn't run yet? Is there a mod that fixes or improves it?

Weekly ads time, some labor day deals edition

Note: Best Buy deals may only be good through end of day Monday:

Target Circle
    Nothing

Target
    no deals listed
    Free Target pack with purchase of Madden 21

Best Buy

$49.99
    Last of Us 2

$44.99
    FF7 Remake

$43.99
    Monster Energy Supercross 3

$39.99
    Mario Tennis Aces
    Splatoon 2
    Mario Maker 2
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
    RDR 2

$29.99
    FFX/X2 Switch
    FFXII Switch

$27.99
    Collection of Mana

$19.99
    Just Dance 2020
    Mario + Rabbids
    Fifa 20
    AC Rebel Collection
    AC 3 Remaster
    NHL 20
    Dragon Quest 11 PS4

$14.99
    Kingdom Hearts 3

Mugsley wrote: »

Do you have the game on a SSD or spinning drive? Is there an update queued in Steam but hasn't run yet? Is there a mod that fixes or improves it?

It's on an SSD and UWP apps preclude mods, but I might have figured this out. I played around with the (significantly more optimized) sequel on Xbox game pass and managed to kinda reproduce the issue there as well. I think what is happening is that my third gen i5 CPU is a bottleneck. The higher the framerate, the more load on the CPU. I had it set to uncapped FPS, and instead of dynamically reducing quality to keep from choking, the game was pegging the CPU at 100% all the time and freezing up. When I locked it to a lower framerate the CPU load went down and it became playable again.

edited September 2020
    Weekly ads time...

Target Circle
    no deals

Target
    No deals but...

Free magnet set with purchase of Super Mario 3d all stars

Free target pack with purchase of Madden 21

Best Buy
    $59.99
    Sandisk 256GB SD card for Switch

$44.99
    FF7 remake

$39.99
    XCOM 2 Collection switch

$29.99
    FFXII switch
    FFX/X-2 switch
    Wonderful 101 switch

$14.99
    Kingdom Hearts 3
    Jeopardy/Wheel of Fortune switch
    Hasbro Family Game Night switch
    Sports Party switch
    Borderlands 3

nusu on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Gamestop's bumped up the number of stores it plans to close to 450.

If the next generation doesn't encourage more physical spending (as the company's hoping), they're fucked.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Gamestop's bumped up the number of stores it plans to close to 450.

If the next generation doesn't encourage more physical spending (as the company's hoping), they're fucked.

Before this whole COVID-19 thing I was liking how they were becoming more like mini toys r us for finding toys.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    I wonder when we'll see the list of closures.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    While it is nice to be able to get physical copies of non AAA games, Gamestop has had terrible business practices for so long that I will shed no tears for them.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    edited September 2020
    There are a couple areas around here were I can imagine 1 of the 2 Gamestops near each other will be shutting down (for example: just south of Seattle there's 1 in a mall and 1 in a strip mall 2ish blocks from the mall).

nusu on
    We've got a triangle of them, where it 's a 4 mile drive from any one of them to either of the other ones. Works great for finding deals on clearance stuff, but it can't be worth the real estate on all of them.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    We have one Gamestop in our area. The only thing I've gone in there for years is I get a $25 gift card quarterly as one of those 'take surveys for money' things and I use that to get either a PSN or a Switch gift card.

edited September 2020
    Weekly ads time.... some deals!

Target Circle (Note: This is an additional coupon thing you have to add to your Target account)
    10% off
    Select video games (does not include pre-orders, NBA 2k21, Madden 21, Nintendo games, THPS 1&2, Ghost of Tsushima)

Target
    Free magnet set with purchase of Super Mario 3d All Stars

$39.99
    Super Mario Maker
    Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
    Splatoon 2
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    Mario Tennis Aces

Best Buy
    $34.99
    RDR2
    Jedi Fallen Order
    Fast & Furious crossroads

$27.99
    World of Warships Legends Firepower ps4

$20.99
    Trover Saves the Universe

$19.99
    GTAV
    RBI Baseball 20 switch
    YuGiOh Legacy of the Duelyst switch
    Subnautica
    Astroneer

$18.99
    Into the Dead 2 switch

$16.99
    PvZ Battle for Neighborville

$14.99
    Risk of Rain 2 xbo

$9.99
    Banner Saga Trilogy switch
    We Happy Few

nusu on
    Promo code didn't work.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nusu fails us, again!

edited September 2020
    Weekly ads time... what even are deals edition:

Target Circle
    Nothing

Target
    Free badge with purchase of Star Wars Squadrons

Best Buy
    $49.99
    Captain Tsubasa switch

$39.99
    Jump Force switch
    NFS Heat

$29.99
    The Outer Worlds

$16.99
    Civ 6 ps4/xbo

$14.99
    AC Odyssey

nusu on
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    nusu wrote: »

Target Circle
    Nothing

Target

Best Buy
    Check tomorrow

....like a Target nametag?

edited September 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »
    nusu wrote: »

Target Circle
    Nothing

Target

Best Buy
    Check tomorrow

....like a Target nametag?

lol if only (for your target associate rp needs). It's a xwing badge thing that's like a sticker?

nusu on
    edited October 2020
    Weekly ads time...

Target Circle
    10% off
    1 select video game (or electronic item). Excludes consoles and accessories, and there's a game exclusion list far too large to paste here.

Target
    $10 Target gift card with purchase of Mario Kart 8 + Mario Party 2 game pack

Free sticker badge with purchase of SW Squadrons

Best Buy
    There are a lot of games listed on sale at BB this week, so I'm going to try to hit some highlights

$49.99
    Yoshi's Crafted World
    COD Modern Warfare
    Kirby Star Allies
    Splatoon 2
    Mario Tennis Aces
    Pokemon Let's Go Eevee
    Project Cars 3
    Mario & Sonic at the Tokyo Olympics

$48.99
    Sekiro

$47.99
    MH World Iceborne Master Edition
    Skyrim VR

$44.99
    Zelda BOTW
    Super Mario Odyssey
    DKC Tropical Freeze
    Super Mario Party
    Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu

$43.99
    Fallout 4 GOTY

$39.99
    Daemon X Machina
    RDR 2
    RE3
    Power Rangers Battle for the grid switch
    Overpass

$35.99
    Bioshock collection switch
    Trine ultimate collection
    WRC 8

$29.99
    Witcher 3 Complete
    Greedfall
    Ministry of Broadcast
    The Survivalists

$27.99
    Gears 5
    Forza 7
    Doom VFR
    Saints Row 3 remastered
    Wolfenstein 2

$19.99
    Call of Cthulhu switch
    Borderlands 3
    Lumines Remastered

nusu on
    Killer Queen Black is $2 on Steam and Switch through the 16th. It's sort of a 4v4 RTS version of the Joust arcade cabinet. Apparently there's a low online population normally, but there's cross platform online play and a bunch of full games right now.

edited October 2020
    Weekly ads time...

Target Circle
    10% off
    1 select video game (or electronic item). Excludes consoles and accessories, and there's a game exclusion list far too large to paste here.

Target
    $10 Target gift card with purchase of Mario Kart 8 + Mario Party 2 game pack

$49.99
    PGA Tour 2k21

$39.99
    RDR 2

$29.99
    Sims 4 Bundle
    Sims 4 + Star Wars Bundle

$19.99
    Ghost Recon Breakpoint
    AC Odyssey
    GTAV

Best Buy
    A lot of the same games as were on sale last week. It's 10 pages worth of games on sale...
    I will call out:

$34.99
    NBA 2k21
    Dreams

$32.99
    Jedi Fallen Order PC

$29.99
    Jedi Fallen Order XBO/PS4
    Burnout Paradise Switch

$19.99
    Division 2

nusu on
    Best Buy's Black Friday stuff is going to be starting tomorrow. I have no idea what's in the ad yet, but I know it's starting tomorrow.

I saw something on the news that many retailers are starting their holliday sales earlier. Or at least Best Buy and Amazon.

Best Buy is, ostensibly at least, trying to avoid some of the BF crowding. I'm sure it won't help keep all the dipshits away, but hopefully it will lighten the load a little.