As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
edited October 2020 in Games and Technology
taqr0tfatdqm.jpg

NO TGS OR E3.
ONLY MAN.

Months weeks before next year's E3 Series X Summer Showcase, it's another Xbox, console hardware and Xbox Live thread! Here we talk about backwards compatibility, play-anywhere support, subscription services, "the cloud", and why internet streaming is better when you're forced to accommodate the schedules of others?

Games with Gold

Since the beginning of time, users with a "Xbox Live Gold" paid membership will have four free titles made available for download for limited timed--two on Xbox One (which require continued membership) and two on Xbox 360 or original Xbox (which are yours in perpetuity). Yes, you do need to actually obtain them within the overlapping four-week opportunity window. Yes, you can get Xbox Live Gold through a normal subscription fee, buying discounted months of membership through vendors, or abusing Xbox's overly-generous reward program. While original Xbox titles are not playable on original hardware (for obvious reasons), all Xbox 360 titles are (more on that below).

Xbox Game Pass for Console, PC, and Game Pass Ultimate

And here's where things get different and complicated! Like EA Access, Xbox Game Pass for Console is Microsoft's own subscription gaming catalog service ("Netflix for video games") with over a hundred periodically rotating titles, making it attractive for digital only libraries and people who want to try first party new exclusives (which will make the rounds on the service at the time of their launch). And now, it's been formally introduced for Windows 10 as Xbox Game Pass for PC, which includes a number of PC-only titles that can be installed through Windows 10's Store App or Xbox App. However, both services come with their own separate fees. If you want them both, you may wish to consider the new hotness that is Xbox Game Pass Ultimate: for less than the cost of the individual services, you can have your Xbox Game Pass on Console and PC and Xbox Live Gold subscriptions in a single plan! Because nothing bad ever came from bundling services! Use the above link to see if you're still eligible for the absurdly cheap one-time charge to upgrade your Xbox Live Gold subscription to Game Pass Ultimate plus the span of your current Xbox Game Pass subscription time. Oh yeah, it's complicated.

In either service, there is no limit on how many games you can download and install from it, and access is for as long as the subscription holds--permanent purchases made from the catalog are discounted 20%, and DLC by 10%. It still does not require Xbox Live Gold (though that is part of Game Pass Ultimate).

Xbox Backwards Compatibility Library

It's not just for the Xbox 360 anymore! In addition to almost six hundred Xbox 360 titles, more than forty 'Original Xbox' titles are now playable on the Xbox One (all models), with some visual upgrades (such as resolution bumps to 1080p and beyond, not possibly on the original console, and improved in-game performance). Pending exact details, Microsoft has promised continuity with the full compatibility program (along with the Xbox One library) going onto Series X (though "perfect" emulation across 100% of the library doesn't exist presently, so be prepared for unexpected bugs). Want a list without the box art? There's one!

Xbox Series X (and probably Series S) arriving in Holiday 2020

After their last two highly successful E3 showings, stay tuned for a summer showcase (and price announcement) sometime in July. Hopefully. Followed by the console launch towards the end of 2020. Probably.

https://youtu.be/XCTPu1aUsTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ktN4bycj9s

https://youtu.be/0eBaPS3uj-A

https://youtu.be/S82YvCtwfHY

https://youtu.be/qcY4nRHapmE

https://youtu.be/4cmclCjS5jg

Xbox Game Streaming

Like Google's Stadia that everyone's been talking about and the Playstation Now service that Sony never talks about, Xbox Game Streaming (formerly "Project XCloud") replaces your grandparents' Xbox game from the ancient era of streaming a console over your home network to the sexy future of piping your game in from The Cloud on your mobile devices! Play console-quality games! Take advantage of all the normal Xbox Live services! Drain your phone battery before you know it! Not coming to other consoles (pending some indication otherwise). Still in (free) beta with the following games offered at no cost, full list courtesy of the excellent TrueAchievement website:
  • ARK: Survival Evolved
  • Absolver
  • Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
  • Battle Chasers: Nightwar
  • Black Desert Online
  • Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
  • Borderlands 2
  • Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
  • Children of Morta
  • Conan Exiles
  • Crackdown 3: Campaign
  • Darksiders III
  • Dead by Daylight
  • Dead Island: Definitive Edition
  • Devil May Cry 5
  • F1 2019
  • Fishing Sim World: Pro Tour
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
  • Halo 5: Guardians
  • Halo Wars 2
  • Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
  • Hello Neighbor
  • HITMAN
  • Just Cause 4
  • Killer Instinct
  • Madden NFL 20
  • Mark of the Ninja: Remastered
  • Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
  • Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
  • Overcooked
  • Puyo Puyo Champions
  • RAD
  • ReCore: Definitive Edition
  • SOULCALIBUR VI
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Sniper Elite 4
  • Sea of Thieves
  • State of Decay 2
  • Subnautica
  • Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
  • Tekken 7
  • TERA
  • The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut
  • theHunter: Call of the Wild
  • Vampyr
  • Warhammer: Vermintide 2
  • West of Dead (BETA)
  • World of Final Fantasy Maxima
  • World of Tanks: Mercenaries
  • World of Warships: Legends
  • World War Z
  • WRC 7 FIA World Rally Championship
  • Wreckfest
  • WWE 2K20
  • Yoku's Island Express

2020 Xbox E3 Games Showcase

https://youtu.be/F7nkg_5ZfrM

https://youtu.be/pTp3W0mlsJA

https://youtu.be/apZ3a4h5C54

https://youtu.be/Ci4n8sE5iZw

https://youtu.be/6bfC-vvlbHc

https://youtu.be/ZkHpw7HArBM

Penny Arcade Forums' Game Clubs

Pax Arcadia
Arcade Squad (Gears of War series)
The Bees Knees (Halo series)

Additionally, you can find the forums Xbox Live gamertag list here, and the form to sign up here.

Synthesis on

• HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Additionally, you can find the forums Xbox Live gamertag list here, and the form to sign up here.
    wait, when the heck did this get started?!

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    wait, when the heck did this get started?!

Way, way before I started making this threads, considering where I am on the spreadsheet.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Why does Stadia have an extra "a" in it?

Jazz wrote: »
    Why does Stadia have an extra "a" in it?

Probably because I spell it wrong every other time I write it. And Google has ignored my requests to rename the console in singular form, "Stadium."

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Saw this on YouTube. Thought on posting it here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQGTpDJDxLg

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    "I'll watch a 20 minute video talking about the Xbox One reveal"

*video is like an hour and five minutes long*

How the hell do you talk about the Xbox One launch for over an HOUR?

• OptyOpty Registered User regular

Because the Xbox One Launch Event lasted an hour and they're talking over the video.

I'm about 20m in and when they're talking about how baffling the decision was to focus on Movie and TV apps when Smart TVs existed, they're forgetting just how bad Smart TVs were at the time. I got an LG smart TV in 2011 and its UI was dogshit (it used a motion control remote), it was slow as molasses (opening an app took for fucking ever), and its wifi adapter (not built in to the TV) stopped working all the fucking time and you had to remove it and plug it back in to get it to work again. Even with how slow the Xbox One was at loading apps, it still felt faster and more consistent to boot up my Xbox and load an app than to use my TV for it.

Also they don't touch on the HDMI Input that much, but in a similar vein cable boxes were terrible back then. They all had ugly SD resolution UIs that were slow as hell that they'd had for like a decade at that point, so Microsoft thought they could go in and present a modern snappy UI over it to entice you to run it through your Xbox. Unfortunately for Microsoft, literally right after the Xbox One came out, Comcast upgraded all of their cable boxes to their new X1 style that had a modern UI, snapping, and apps, basically making the UI part of their argument as to why you should run your cable box through the Xbox null and void. Basically the Xbox One was 2 years too late for everything it wanted to do.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Yeah, I feel you could wrap that up in a few minutes. Maybe a little more if you tied in some of the PS4 presentation and the bit where they casually slipped in the “oh btw online play isn’t free any more” and nobody paid attention because they were too busy having a laugh at the SPORTS SPORTS TV MORE SPORTS oh and I guess it maybe plays video games?

It’s actually a little weird thinking that the Series X is THIS YEAR because of how impressive the Xbonks is. I have been trying to get my last few backlog games knocked off and I’m playing AC Odyssey and... honestly if Vikings looks this good on the box I own today, I’m sure it could look BETTER on the Series X but I am not feeling horribly constrained by the current hardware.

Load times do suck, I guess. That will be a big difference. But It’s not like 2012-era 360 and PS3 games where you could practically hear the poor things begging for death when you asked them to launch a modern game.

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    They are watching the launch and talking during the entire duration. All of those launches are pretty long.

edited June 2020
    It’s actually a little weird thinking that the Series X is THIS YEAR because of how impressive the Xbonks is. I have been trying to get my last few backlog games knocked off and I’m playing AC Odyssey and... honestly if Vikings looks this good on the box I own today, I’m sure it could look BETTER on the Series X but I am not feeling horribly constrained by the current hardware.

Load times do suck, I guess. That will be a big difference. But It’s not like 2012-era 360 and PS3 games where you could practically hear the poor things begging for death when you asked them to launch a modern game.

We'll see. I keep insisting that hardware improvements are incremental for a reason. As it stands, Microsoft pretty much won the last two E3 (which is not that much of a feat--Sony skipped the last one, and pretty obviously half-assed the one before that for whatever reason; Nintendo was moving away from the venue as a whole). It doesn't really get much more one-sided from that from a realistic standpoint, and I generally like to manage my expectations anyway. We're looking at features--level asset streaming and ray-tracing in particular that, while obviously substantial feats from a technological standpoint, become very dubious when you try to apply them to any game, compared to "high resolution", "spatial audio", "high framerates" or even HDR. Especially ray-tracing, since there isn't some magic law that says all games need to draw their lighting effects the same way any more than they all need to support HDR10--Control launched without HDR (I have no idea if they added it), how many people playing that game could actually take advantage of its ray-tracing splendor compared to people playing it on HDR-capable displays?

You'll have your Gears of Wars, your Gods of Wars, your Horizons and your Forza Motorsports, sure. But for the other 99% of games--including our existing libraries--everything is going to look the same, and just run faster, run sharper, load faster.

I'm totally okay with that. I can understand anyone for not wanting to drop $500 or more or less for the privilege though. And, provided your game isn't missing entirely, that's an argument for the Switch (especially a cheaper Switch)--"Good enough."

@dporowski (is that Polish? I can't look at that name and not think "Polish") asked me about my Elite Series 2 controller, so I thought I'd share my thoughts a few days later.
    • It's weirdly light. To try and put aside my own feelings, my kitchen scale says my Dualshock 4 is 216 g, my Project Scorpio edition controller is 279 g (with batteries), and the new elite controller is 326 g. So it is easier than a current generation controller with removable batteries. The original elite controller, however, was 346 g with its batteries. So the difference is actually pretty small, especially compared to the baby-light Dualshock 4 controller, but I don't like it. Someone...I think Windows Central but possible Xbox themselves, sold the integral battery as being "more balanced." Fuck that noise, me and my weak, noodlely arms miss that extra 20 grams of heft.
    • I do, however, like the construction. The "unibody shell" is probably the single feature I most missed from my Elite controller compared to the current models, for aesthetic, tactile feeling (ironically only when I'm holding, but not using, it), ease of cleaning, and potentially durability. I don't miss the "two part" shell design (it made sense back when smaller part of the controller had invisible-light sensors under the plastic, but not anymore). In fact, I'd say I like how the Elite Series 2 looks in general. The change in the texture surfaces is inoffensive, but honestly not that obvious.
    • I'm dubious as to the need for three profiles. I think a switch between two (in my case, normal and "manual inversion" mode) was more elegant then a single button that toggles between the three, but I guess two is better than three.
    • The three, as oppose to two, trigger positions are nice though, even if it does strike me as overkill.
    • I haven't adjusted the stick tension. I have a hard time picturing that I'd need t.
    • I didn't notice any weird "right-body vibration" :p . Actually putting it up to my ears in in the Accessories app (which, by the way, is an amazing feature that all the consoles need if they don't have), I was surprised to hear that each of the four vibrating motors actually has a unique report (you think they'd be paired off or something). But other than that, nothing.
    • It needs a removable battery. Not even support for AA batteries (even if they are literally the most common battery format in the world). Trying to sell "this controller is going to be unable to hold a charge one day, thereby giving you the privilege of throwing it away" as a positive thing is stupid, it's stupid on the other consoles, and it's stupid here. Maybe someone will figure out an easy way to replace them. Without the screw under battery compartment, the process has to be different now. Though I would've liked that battery status light on the original Elite Controllers too.

All in all, pretty good. No obvious manufacturing defects, etc., though I can't completely exclude that either. It's pretty good, but it could be better. :?

Synthesis on
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Yep, it's Polish.

Nuts. Well, either Warframe just made my controller go slightly weird, or I'm insane. And/or Warframe's real bad at vibration usage, which is also entirely possible.

Wish I could easily get it apart to look, but yeah, that's not happening. And I don't think "hey the vibration is kind of weird..." is going to rate an RMA, even with the extended MS protection plan thing.

edited June 2020
    dporowski wrote: »
    Yep, it's Polish.

Nuts. Well, either Warframe just made my controller go slightly weird, or I'm insane. And/or Warframe's real bad at vibration usage, which is also entirely possible.

Wish I could easily get it apart to look, but yeah, that's not happening. And I don't think "hey the vibration is kind of weird..." is going to rate an RMA, even with the extended MS protection plan thing.

The thing of it is, not to doubt you, but it's not clear what I'm looking for. The right side does vibrate (that would be pretty obvious)--from either end. But it's not discernably stronger than the left side, it just sounds a little different.

The cable is very long, though I doubt 12 feet.

Synthesis on
    Yep, it's Polish.

The thing of it is, not to doubt you, but it's not clear what I'm looking for. The right side does vibrate (that would be pretty obvious)--from either end. But it's not discernably stronger than the left side, it just sounds a little different.

The cable is very long, though I doubt 12 feet.

Yeah, I can't describe it sanely. It's as though a larger mass is vibrating for a given intensity, when compared to the left body motor? Though if you're also noting that left/right body motors sound different, it could totally be me going nuts after that like, 3 hour session of near-nonstop vibration I noted it after, and now I'm just hypersensitive. (Which would not be the first time.)

And the charging is just so much damn slower than swapping batteries.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yes, you do need to actually download them within the overlapping four-week opportunity window.

Well, crap. All this time, I've just been going in and adding them to my account, save for the odd title here or there. I didn't know you had to actually download them, or else it wouldn't count.

Crap.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yes, you do need to actually download them within the overlapping four-week opportunity window.

Well, crap. All this time, I've just been going in and adding them to my account, save for the odd title here or there. I didn't know you had to actually download them, or else it wouldn't count.

Crap.

No, you're fine. There's no need to complete a download, the "Get" button is enough. That's what the OP is trying to say, you have to take action enough to add the games to your collection, having Gold during the time period isn't enough.

Oh, whew! That's a relief!

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

I suspect the idea is that you'd just pop the controller in the charging cradle every night so for most people this isn't really an issue

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

I suspect the idea is that you'd just pop the controller in the charging cradle every night so for most people this isn't really an issue

This is why it's nice to have at least 2 controllers for swapping

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    edited June 2020

Crap.

Yeah, the correct word should be "purchase" them, you don't need to download them. The distinction came about when some people hoped the service might be automatic (have xbox live gold = accounted is automatically "credited" with the games, not requiring any further action).

Synthesis on

I haven't been playing as much as I have of late, but I feel like "every night" is pretty often; this thing has a ridiculous battery so far as I've seen.

I haven't been playing as much as I have of late, but I feel like "every night" is pretty often; this thing has a ridiculous battery so far as I've seen.

To each their own, but I don't want to treat a controller like a phone--I don't even necessarily play my console every day, and if the battery doesn't a few hours (the equivalent of a day's use, at least), it's failed. Which, fortunately, it does. In the meantime, the case gets stuck in the corner cabinet with all my other controllers, and doesn't need to stay plugged in either.

I don’t have any Elite controllers, but I swear by the Controller Gear charging stands. They’re a little pricey but their design makes it almost impossible to put the controller on wrong, you just kind of vaguely set the controller on top and it slips into place naturally. I have a cheaper charging stand for my PS4 controllers and you have to line up the charging connector and it’s really twitchy to get it seated properly.

Also they have variants that match most of the Xbone controller color schemes, obviously not Design Labs variants but if you want a matching stand for your Cyberpunk 2077 controller they can fix you up.

I don’t have any Elite controllers, but I swear by the Controller Gear charging stands. They’re a little pricey but their design makes it almost impossible to put the controller on wrong, you just kind of vaguely set the controller on top and it slips into place naturally. I have a cheaper charging stand for my PS4 controllers and you have to line up the charging connector and it’s really twitchy to get it seated properly.

Also they have variants that match most of the Xbone controller color schemes, obviously not Design Labs variants but if you want a matching stand for your Cyberpunk 2077 controller they can fix you up.

Sounds very fashionable.

Regarding batteries, I was on Team Rechargeable until this generation. I have two PS4 controllers, and maybe six hours of life between them (if that) with only light use, i.e. turning the console on/off, using media players.

Apparently there's some scuttlebutt that the original plan before the pandemic was to drop the Series X in late summer or early fall, which would have been interesting, and pissibly also gave MS the ability to still get the console or this year after a COVID delay.

edited June 2020
    Apparently there's some scuttlebutt that the original plan before the pandemic was to drop the Series X in late summer or early fall, which would have been interesting, and pissibly also gave MS the ability to still get the console or this year after a COVID delay.

That's the rumor--there's still no indication that either Series X or PS5 will be pushed into 2021, but the "scuttlebutt" further was that Sony was still working on the design more recently. Maybe Microsoft thought they could get the drop on them? I'm doubtful of that ultimately, as interesting an idea as it is, but it doesn't change the fact that they revealed the actual hardware--along with a technical analysis--months earlier, so they seemed to be at least a little bit ahead.

One can also imagine that there was an internal debate within Microsoft--launch the Series X and Series S simultaneously (as Sony will with their PS5 models) or get the Series X on the ground first.

Synthesis on

To each their own, but I don't want to treat a controller like a phone--I don't even necessarily play my console every day, and if the battery doesn't a few hours (the equivalent of a day's use, at least), it's failed. Which, fortunately, it does. In the meantime, the case gets stuck in the corner cabinet with all my other controllers, and doesn't need to stay plugged in either.

No, I mean as in I charge the thing every few weeks... Little light turns amber, I plug it in for a while.

No, I mean as in I charge the thing every few weeks... Little light turns amber, I plug it in for a while.

I meant to quote Hardtarget there, my bad.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I have requested access to Pax Arcadia. I am called RoboBuddy on XBox.

I use rechargeable batteries in the controller. They last a surprisingly long time.

Krathoon on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Someone needed to warn me how ridiculously locked down gamepass PC/ Windows Store games are. Want to install a mod or edit your save file? Like say to unlock the extra modes in Bloodstained? Good luck editing the WindowsApps folder where they reside. Even if you want to keep using Steam as your launcher and the steam overlay, you need to use a program called GloSC. And while that works fine for Ori, it's not finding Bloodstained. Good grief.

Someone needed to warn me how ridiculously locked down gamepass PC/ Windows Store games are. Want to install a mod or edit your save file? Like say to unlock the extra modes in Bloodstained? Good luck editing the WindowsApps folder where they reside. Even if you want to keep using Steam as your launcher and the steam overlay, you need to use a program called GloSC. And while that works fine for Ori, it's not finding Bloodstained. Good grief.

They are extremely-locked out. Modding is supported in rare cases like the purpose-designed mod tool for Final Fantasy XV.

There's actually more than one reason for it: namely, unlike most of Steam, a large number of Xbox Games on Windows 10 (a lot of which are on Game Pass) aren't just cross-play on PC (want to play Streets of Rage 4 between console and PC? Xbox is the only way to do so without adventures in tunneling), a lot of them are cross-save compatible, unlike all of Steam. If Microsoft didn't want to already lock the games down, the nature of cross-platform saves pretty much gave them full reason to do so. Otherwise, it basically exposes the ecosystem to the same unreliable, half-assed arrangement with have on Steam, where achievements pop whenever they want to, are simultaneously easily obtainable via cheating and don't work half the time legitimately.

You can actually see immediate examples of this: games like MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries and Undertale (I believe) have no achievements--coincidentally, they are compatible with saves from other releases (if they're the same version), and the files, while hidden, are modifiable. For Xbox multiplayer and achievement games, this would be unacceptable--it has to be as locked down as the console, or it doesn't work. That leaves modding that basically resembles the console-side modding (a reason why I never purchase Bethesda games on console).

That being said, I'd still like it if INI editing were available (though this could be exploitable in many games, especially multiplayer, for things like FOV).

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

They are extremely-locked out. Modding is supported in rare cases like the purpose-designed mod tool for Final Fantasy XV.

There's actually more than one reason for it: namely, unlike most of Steam, a large number of Xbox Games on Windows 10 (a lot of which are on Game Pass) aren't just cross-play on PC (want to play Streets of Rage 4 between console and PC? Xbox is the only way to do so without adventures in tunneling), a lot of them are cross-save compatible, unlike all of Steam. If Microsoft didn't want to already lock the games down, the nature of cross-platform saves pretty much gave them full reason to do so. Otherwise, it basically exposes the ecosystem to the same unreliable, half-assed arrangement with have on Steam, where achievements pop whenever they want to, are simultaneously easily obtainable via cheating and don't work half the time legitimately.

You can actually see immediate examples of this: games like MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries and Undertale (I believe) have no achievements--coincidentally, they are compatible with saves from other releases (if they're the same version), and the files, while hidden, are modifiable. For Xbox multiplayer and achievement games, this would be unacceptable--it has to be as locked down as the console, or it doesn't work. That leaves modding that basically resembles the console-side modding (a reason why I never purchase Bethesda games on console).

That being said, I'd still like it if INI editing were available (though this could be exploitable in many games, especially multiplayer, for things like FOV).

Cross Save does not get enough credit, especially with how seamless it is (obvious caveat: when it works).

I used it a lot for Halo Wars 2 and Ori & TWOTW. There were just some missions in Halo Wars 2 where, as good as the controller mapping was, I really wanted a mouse.

I've also been bouncing between our living room Xbone and my gaming nook Xbonks for AC:Odd and it's been great, barring the one case where I had AC:Odd suspended on one of the boxen and it popped up a message saying that it couldn't sync the save while it was in suspend mode and I needed to close the game and relaunch it. Which is like, they anticipated this and put in code to deal with it, awesome.

I'm surprised they're doing this given that game demos tend to decrease sales rather than increase them.

edited July 2020
    Nosf wrote: »

Technically, they already do. They're just bringing it to more.

Cross Save does not get enough credit, especially with how seamless it is (obvious caveat: when it works).

I used it a lot for Halo Wars 2 and Ori & TWOTW. There were just some missions in Halo Wars 2 where, as good as the controller mapping was, I really wanted a mouse.

I've also been bouncing between our living room Xbone and my gaming nook Xbonks for AC:Odd and it's been great, barring the one case where I had AC:Odd suspended on one of the boxen and it popped up a message saying that it couldn't sync the save while it was in suspend mode and I needed to close the game and relaunch it. Which is like, they anticipated this and put in code to deal with it, awesome.

The only time cross-save hasn't worked is when...save-syncing doesn't work (which used to be a serious threat back when Xbox basically invented cloud-saving for consoles). And it still pops up (though at least now the Xbox interface has copious warnings when it thinks something has gone wrong). There were one or two indie games were cloud-saving was outright disabled, strangely, when it wasn't supposed and I suspect that had less to do with something "being broken" and more to do with the developer actively leaving it disabled at that point in time. I use it whenever I play Vambrace on PC for obvious reasons.

Synthesis on
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    New rumour - the series S will be available on the same deal as the One S - pay in instalments over so much time, get the console, Gold and Gamepass.

If this is true, and rumours of how powerful it is are true, I might be tempted to get a S instead of the X.

Or at the very least, I can get both and give the S to my nephew as an Xmas present.

3 weeks until we find out, hopefully.

A lot of buzz about what we can basically call Xbox Series S at this point, formerly 'Lockhart' along with some rare images of the Project Scarlett devkits (missed opportunity: no huge 'X' design rising from the casing, Sony style).

It's probably going to look more like the current Xbox One consoles (small, flat rectangular prisms), rather than some sort of perfect cube (as WindowsCentral speculated). Reduced graphical output comparable to an Xbox One X (less, even) translating to less heat management on top of missing the UHD drive could mean a console smaller than that even (though it would still have a bigger footprint than the "tall" Series X).

That being said, even the PSAD-model of the PS5 is still a big, tall console (those curved panels take up space), on top of being more powerful (and generating more heat, even if none of the rumors about Sony's cooling concerns were actually accurate) so it'd look tiny next to that.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen