As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox] 2.75 Gamecubes

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    eMoander wrote: »
    So I was going through the list of demos available (link here) and while I think it is awesome that Microsoft is doing this event, I want to know who decided that 2-d sidescrolling games are what the market wants right now. Seriously, like 80%* of the demos seem to be in that category. I guess I'm clearly in a minority :(

I am downloading the Hellpoint demo, as it looks interesting. Will also probably take a look at the Destroy all Humans demo, but that's kind of a known quantity given its a remake. Curious to hear what games you all are looking at (and impressions once you do!).

*OK 80% probably hyperbole, but its definitely a lot!

This is kind of what you get if you grab fifty to a hundred indie games on console, I strongly suspect. The demo pool isn't limited to "indie games", of course, but a good chunk of it seems to be.

Synthesis on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    2D Sidescrollers are easier to design than a 3D game, making them ideal for indie studios. You have a smaller possibility space for where a character will be in the level given there's only two axis to move on and you can be assured of how far the art assets will be from the screen at all times so you don't need them to be super duper high res for when the player puts the camera up next to it like in a 3D game.

There's probably other reasons I'm missing because I'm not a dev, but those are the ones that popped out to me immediately.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Not to mention studios like Devolver making a name for themselves with titles like that. My Friend Pedro and that new game about being a parasitic monster both are fun twists on the genre.

Not to mention studios like Devolver making a name for themselves with titles like that. My Friend Pedro and that new game about being a parasitic monster both are fun twists on the genre.

Carrion. Comes out in two days, I can't wait!

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

Carrion. Comes out in two days, I can't wait!
    YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS!!!!!!!!!! *cough* ...I am mildly excited for Carrion.

EDIT: OOOOO... and it's included with Game Pass!

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    So I was going through the list of demos available (link here)
    I played Armed and Gelatinous at PAX East this year and it was a good deal of fun. Unfortunately, looks like it's just couch co-op, which is real convenient during a pandemic. And Destroy All Humans was a fun game, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the remake is like.

I also want to try out Tesla Force. It won't be as good as Tesla vs. Lovecraft, but I love top-down shooters. ERMERGERD! It's the same studio as Tesla vs Lovecraft? JOY!!!!!! Now I'm really excited. The one thing missing from that game was online co-op.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    jeez, even going back to that site a few hours later and the list of games is growing ridiculously. Microsoft needs to put out a sortable spreadsheet or something; by the time I watch all those intro videos the playtest time will be over!

Set Tesla Force to download, will give it a try! Looks kinda like a shooty diablo from the screenshots.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man I miss the old summer of arcade games where theyd have a lineup of big games coming to the 360 arcade

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    !! SkateBirb!!

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Maybe my dashboard just hasn't updated but where do you find the demo's?

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The game section of the store has a specific category for them.

Store > Browse Games > Game Fest Demos

Carpy on
  • Trojan35Trojan35 I want Too Human 2. Registered User regular
    So, despite me being a huge GoW1-3 fan I somehow missed the awesomeness that is Gears 5. Game Pass and Op4 fixed that. Anyone here still playing it and wanna do some Horde mode?

• NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    The game section of the store has a specific category for them.

Store > Browse Games > Game Fest Demos

Though, last time I checked not all of them are listed there, SkateBird for one. That one I had to do a search to find.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    So I was going through the list of demos available (link here) and while I think it is awesome that Microsoft is doing this event, I want to know who decided that 2-d sidescrolling games are what the market wants right now. Seriously, like 80%* of the demos seem to be in that category. I guess I'm clearly in a minority :(

I am downloading the Hellpoint demo, as it looks interesting. Will also probably take a look at the Destroy all Humans demo, but that's kind of a known quantity given its a remake. Curious to hear what games you all are looking at (and impressions once you do!).

*OK 80% probably hyperbole, but its definitely a lot!

...I'm suddenly way more interested.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited July 2020
    Ol' Tricky Phil surprises no one: Game Pass unlikely to come to Sony or Nintendo console.

(Considering it would amount to Microsoft paying developers to maintain a subscription service on a competing closed hardware platform, not very surprising.)

Here is perhaps a slightly more complete list of the 70 67 demos available for this week (so try them out before they're goine if you're interested!).
    1. Ars Fabulae (Punk Notion)
    2. Back to Belt (Mauricio Felippe)
    3. Bite the Bullet (Mega Cat Studios)
    4. Book of Adventum (Dark Amber Softworks)
    5. Cake Bash (High Tea Frog)
    6. Chickens Madness (Vikong)
    7. Clea (InvertMouse)
    8. Cris Tales (Dreams Uncorporated, SYCK)
    9. Curved Space (Only By Midnight Ltd.)
    10. Dandy Ace (Mad Mimic)
    11. Darkestville Castle (Epic Llama)
    12. Deleveled (ToasterFuel)
    13. Destroy All Humans! (Black Forest Games)
    14. Doodle God: Crime City Demo (JoyBits, Inc)
    15. Dungeon and Gravestone (Wonderland Kazakiri inc.)
    16. Dungeon Scavenger Inferno (Vidama Software)
    17. Ephemeral Tale (Dawdling Dog, ltd.)
    18. Flowing Lights (gFaUmNe)
    19. Fractal Space (Haze Games)
    20. Freshly Frosted (The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild)
    21. Galacide (Puny Human)
    22. Gauntlet Force: Rise of the Machines Demo (Forge Studios)
    23. Genesis Noir (Feral Cat Den)
    24. Haven (The Game Bakers)
    25. Helheim Hassle (Perfectly Paranormal)
    26. Hellpoint (Cradle Games)
    27. In the Valley of Death (stdio.gypsy)
    28. Kaze and the Wild Masks (PixelHive)
    29. Klang 2 (Tinimations)
    30. Knight Squad 2 (Chainsawesome Games)
    31. Kova: AlphaLink (Black Hive Media)
    32. KungFu Kickball (WhaleFood Games)
    33. Long Ago: A Puzzle Tale (GrimTalin)
    34. Lost Wing (BoxFrog Games)
    35. Mars Power Industries Deluxe (7A Games)
    36. Mayhem Brawler (Hero Concept)
    37. Momentus (Swerve Studios)
    38. Nine Witches: Family Disruption (Indiesruption)
    39. OkunoKA Madness (Caracal Games)
    40. PHOGS! (Bit Loom)
    41. Pixel Skater (Chickopie Games)
    42. Ponpu (Purple Tree Studio)
    43. Projection: First Light (Shadowplay Studios)
    44. Raji: An Ancient Epic (Nodding Heads Games)
    45. Re:Turn – One Way Trip (Red Ego Games)
    46. Road to Guangdong (Just Add Oil)
    47. Rover Wars: Battle for mars Demo (Sakari Games)
    48. Sail Forth (David Evans Games)
    49. ScourgeBringer (Flying Oak Games)
    50. Seasons of the Samurai (TopView Studio)
    51. SkateBIRD (Glass Bottom Games)
    52. Skycadia (Studio Nisse LLC)
    53. Solaroids: Prologue (DynF/X Digital)
    54. Space Otter Charlie (Wayward Distractions)
    55. Swim Out (Lozange Lab)
    56. Swimsanity! (Decoy Games, LLC)
    57. Tesla Force (10tons Ltd.)
    58. The Ambassador: Fractured Timelines (tinyDino)
    59. The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav (Daedalic Entertainment)
    60. The Dark Eye: Memoria (Daedalic Entertainment)
    61. The Last Cube (Improx Games)
    62. The Vale: Shadow of the Crown (Falling Squirrel Inc.)
    63. Tribble Troubles Demo (Scary Robot)
    64. Unspottable (GrosChevaux Ltd)
    65. WarriOrb (Not Yet)
    66. Welcome to Elk (Triple Topping)
    67. YesterMorrow (BitMap Galaxy)

Synthesis on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Steam did something similar a few weeks back, about a billion demos, some of which were time-limited. I'm not convinced that throwing so much out there at once and only giving you a limited time where they'll even work is the best idea.

edited July 2020
    Jazz wrote: »
    Steam did something similar a few weeks back, about a billion demos, some of which were time-limited. I'm not convinced that throwing so much out there at once and only giving you a limited time where they'll even work is the best idea.

Quite possibly. As with Steam, I suspect it has to do both with agreements with the developers ("We only want this very unfinished demo out for a limited time.") and the overall publicity/hype machine. It's definitely inconvenient for players (putting aside the whole "But I need to try all of them!" this is obviously intended to appeal to a broad segment of the audience...especially if they like...indie platformers) if it just happens to be a bad week for them.

When the norm is "no demos at all, get your digital pre-orders in today!" putting up this many demos has to provide an obvious benefit to the developer more than actually serving as a demonstration of their game.

Synthesis on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Definitely a good move to finally get past the whole "indies can fuck off" initiative during the One launch. It'll build up goodwill among indie studios if nothing else.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2020
    Except they've showcased literally dozens of indie games at E3 years past, each.

Come on, you know it'll never be enough for you, Cloudeagle. That's why we like you. :lol:

Synthesis on
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Except they've showcased literally dozens of indie games at E3 years past, each.

Come on, you know it'll never be enough for you, Cloudeagle. That's why we like you. :lol:

Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo have featured hundreds.

Honestly, they're getting there, but it's taking a LOT of time and effort to undo the damage.

cloudeagle wrote: »

Honestly, they're getting there, but it's taking a LOT of time and effort to undo the damage.

Hundreds at a single event?

I gotta say, that's impressive. Considering at their last E3, Sony featured six games (and one flutist).

I gotta say, that's impressive. Considering at their last E3, Sony featured six games (and one flutist).

Oh, you mean individual events? Near as I can tell, Microsoft has never featured dozens of games in a single E3.

In 2019 they had 11, near as I can tell.

Meanwhile Nintendo features indie Directs nearly every quarter, with upwards of a couple dozen each.

I'm not saying that Microsoft isn't doing indie stuff, it's just that Nintendo and Sony have (in the past) done more, which has made it difficult for Microsoft to keep up and get their weekly indie release list numbers close to theirs.

edited July 2020

Oh, you mean individual events? Near as I can tell, Microsoft has never featured dozens of games in a single E3.

Meanwhile Nintendo features indie Directs nearly every quarter, with upwards of a couple dozen each.

I'm not saying that Microsoft isn't doing indie stuff, it's just that Nintendo and Sony have (in the past) done more, which has made it difficult for Microsoft to keep up and get their weekly indie release list numbers close to theirs.

In 2018 they had 22 (plus at least two more outside of the specifically Indie part)--which is less than I remembered (and two dozen is the lazy man's "dozens"). And way more than Sony, even with if count the flutist (which I totally do).

In 2019, they actually had more than thirty Indie games available as part of the Xbox Experience, but I doubt they actually featured dozens of them in videos. Versus the hundreds Nintendo presumably had. :lol:

Synthesis on
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

this was the most recent ID@Xbox showcase, 5 videos covering 34 games.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/24/id-xbox-launches-summer-spotlight-series/

they've done a couple of these these now. prior to that they had shorter more focused videos and did a couple ID@Xbox on Game Pass videos to highlight smaller games coming to that service. the idea that they aren't doing as much as others is just not close to being true anymore. and this isn't even getting into the various streams they do each week highlighting games big and small.

Wraith260 wrote: »

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/06/24/id-xbox-launches-summer-spotlight-series/

they've done a couple of these these now. prior to that they had shorter more focused videos and did a couple ID@Xbox on Game Pass videos to highlight smaller games coming to that service. the idea that they aren't doing as much as others is just not close to being true anymore. and this isn't even getting into the various streams they do each week highlighting games big and small.

They totally don't count though. It's not the event was literally called "Independent Development at Xbox" compressed into a dumb-sound initialism! :biggrin:

In less amusing news and more heartwarming news, in honor of the Special Olympics Turn10 is giving us a modest gift.

I love me some Forza Motorsport, so I am pleased.

edited July 2020

Which is exactly the point I made in my initial post, but bringing up Microsoft's loooooong efforts to fix the initial mistake is apparently a sore point.

Though where are the weekly streams? I'm intrigued but can't find them.

cloudeagle on

Which is exactly the point I made in my initial post, but bringing up Microsoft's loooooong efforts to fix the initial mistake is apparently a sore point.

the sore point is that you're downplaying those efforts to a comical degree, acting as if the attitudes from the beginning of the generation still hold true. and yes those efforts have been long, because its been almost a decade since the start of this generation and these things take time. no one here is pretending that MS didn't make some massive errors with the launch of the of the Xbox One, its approach to indies being one amongst many, but we've seen them move on from those mistakes and the Xbox of today isn't the Xbox of 2013.

edited July 2020

the sore point is that you're downplaying those efforts to a comical degree, acting as if the attitudes from the beginning of the generation still hold true. and yes those efforts have been long, because its been almost a decade since the start of this generation and these things take time. no one here is pretending that MS didn't make some massive errors with the launch of the of the Xbox One, its approach to indies being one amongst many, but we've seen them move on from those mistakes and the Xbox of today isn't the Xbox of 2013.

...how am I downplaying? I totally acknowledged that Microsoft has improved mightily from 2013 and is doing much better. They don't have those attitudes anymore. However, it's been a long and gradual process, judging by the number of weekly releases compared to the competition. (Which is improving!) Which is not to say the flurry of demos isn't impressive! My whole point was to say the flurry of demos was impressive.

Also, where's the weekly streams? I'm intrigued.

cloudeagle on

...how am I downplaying? I totally acknowledged that Microsoft has improved mightily from 2013 and is doing much better. They don't have those attitudes anymore. However, it's been a long and gradual process, judging by the number of weekly releases compared to the competition. (Which is improving!) Which is not to say the flurry of demos isn't impressive! My whole point was to say the flurry of demos was impressive.

Also, where's the weekly streams? I'm intrigued.

maybe i got the wrong end of things but your initial comments read like you felt that this was a recent turn of events, that MS have only just begun putting the work in to court indies and that's just not true.

as for the the streams, they have been on the Xbox channel on Mixer predominantly(i'm not sure if they also stream those on Twitch), but as that service is being killed off today its not worth looking up. looks like they've also been streaming on Twitch so worth checking out the official Xbox channel on there. again, its a mix of big and small games dependant on what is being released/updated at the time. recent ID@Xbox streams have featured Ooblets Superliminal, and West of Dead

in other news, Halo Infinite box art*!

*i assume.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Plus ca change...

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm not letting myself get hyped for Halo anymore. It's nice they're finally trying to embrace the legacy of the series in the final game in the 343 trilogy... But yeah.

I'm very much looking forward to it. I still enjoy Halo 5 in co-op, and the multiplayer is literally unrivaled in the genre, plus we're going to get another excellent soundtrack.

I will miss the work the creative community has done being "lost" when we transition over to a new game, but I've watched that happen with every title since Forge was introduced. I used to worry that 343i was going to make the franchise more like Destiny, but that no longer keeps me up at night.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what Halo Infinite even is, but I fully expect it to be the best game ever made and I'll be disappointed if it's anything but.

For what it's worth, 343i's been doing a lot better with how they're treating Halo. They've done a lot of good stuff with MCC, giving the legacy of Halo the respect it deserves. Just the simple matter of going back to traditional designs instead of the different-to-be-different hot mess they had before is promising. And the focus on big, open spaces again is intriguiging.

If the game's a dud, oh well. But I am very excited to see whatever this game turns out to be.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    So brief report on the demos I tried last night:

Hellpoint: I didn't realize going in, but this is a dark souls clone, right down to the community markers and bonfires as save points/upgrade points, to the extent where it wouldn't surprise me if the maps were identical and its just a graphical reskin. They start you off at level 48-ish with +8 weapons which is pretty nice so you can jump in and play around without feeling limited. As a DS fan, I liked it, but nothing jumped out at me as new or different so YMMV. I also got a hard crash after about 30 minutes so that was about all I played.

Unspottable: Played couch co-op with son and daughter and was a lot of fun, with much yelling and (family-friendly) cursing. However, the core concept of try to figure out who on the screen is another player and punch them feels like it would get pretty old after a couple hours. They had a couple more complex things like trying to eat 4 pieces of sushi and then escape, but if you punch the other player you win instantly, so it wasn't clear why you would ever engage with the other mechanics. Played maybe 10 matches and it was fun during that time for what its worth.

Destroy all Humans: As advertised, the identical old Xbox game with fancy graphics. The graphics are very nice though!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    edited July 2020
    Unlike its interior sections, Halo 5 has by far most massive open-space level design in the series thusfar (and going back to the Bungie trilogy, you realize how tiny the actual traversable levels are by comparison, even in 3, simple due to the technology), it's interesting to see what they'll do next in a new engine they've been bragging about.

I wonder if we'll see a treatment like Gears 5, which moved towards non-linear questions (sort of how we got in the second level of CE, but on a much grander scale). Not necessarily something I want, but I was surprised how well the Coalition pulled it off.
    So brief report on the demos I tried last night:

Hellpoint: I didn't realize going in, but this is a dark souls clone, right down to the community markers and bonfires as save points/upgrade points, to the extent where it wouldn't surprise me if the maps were identical and its just a graphical reskin. They start you off at level 48-ish with +8 weapons which is pretty nice so you can jump in and play around without feeling limited. As a DS fan, I liked it, but nothing jumped out at me as new or different so YMMV. I also got a hard crash after about 30 minutes so that was about all I played.

Unspottable: Played couch co-op with son and daughter and was a lot of fun, with much yelling and (family-friendly) cursing. However, the core concept of try to figure out who on the screen is another player and punch them feels like it would get pretty old after a couple hours. They had a couple more complex things like trying to eat 4 pieces of sushi and then escape, but if you punch the other player you win instantly, so it wasn't clear why you would ever engage with the other mechanics. Played maybe 10 matches and it was fun during that time for what its worth.

Destroy all Humans: As advertised, the identical old Xbox game with fancy graphics. The graphics are very nice though!

Thanks for sharing. I don't exactly have a great deal of time--also not a huge fan of the Dark Souls formula personally, so I'm just trying to find a free moment to play the Cris Tales demo.

Synthesis on
    Handy graphic taken from the Xbox Reddit for viewers outside our "usual" time zones:

3x2mnw8dnec51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=4044e3fadb250b246a146917c1869fe49be340ef

edited July 2020
    nothing exciting, but Seagate have put up a page detailing the storage expansion cards they'll be releasing for the Series X. 1TB in size. games will run off them as they would off the internal drive*. also offering a 3 year warranty which is nice. no word on price yet though.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n42537/xbox-series-x-storage-expansion
    Seagate is thrilled to be a key player in next-generation gaming. With a new standard in performance, games will be more dynamic, visually stunning, and more immersive than ever. Seagate's Xbox Series X Storage Expansion Card technology delivers additional game storage at peak speeds, replicating the console’s internal SSD experience. We are proud to join forces with Xbox and can’t wait to help gamers immerse themselves in the high-fidelity experience.

offical page here.

*or should do at least. we'll need to wait and see if there's any actual performance difference between running off internal drive and expansion cards.

Wraith260 on
    They look like they'll work great. They also look like they're going to be very expensive, but we knew that coming in.

They look like they'll work great. They also look like they're going to be very expensive, but we knew that coming in.

Also, given what we know about the PS5, expanding the storage on that is going ot be LUDICROUSLY expensive.

Like, when this news first came out for the Series X, I cringed. Now it's looking like they'll be the cheaper of the two, which is nuts.