As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]ter's Block

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    'night you keter-class eldritch abominations and joneses with party hats

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Single Children Parents

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    http://progressbarserver.appspot.com/

I know we've touched upon the quixotic, counter-productive, hubristic nature of calendrical reform in chat BUT maybe a progress bar would make more sense to kids these days

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I got out of bed today, which I generally feel might have been a mistake.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    I got out of bed today, which I generally feel might have been a mistake.

I only left the bed to cook or use the restroom today

I’m hibernating for the coming winter of discontent

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    I’m getting a haircut today and fuck I’m excited

• Options
    medt9iklzu0k.jpeg

• Options
    edited July 2020
    https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/hivdmc/skies_captured_from_my_window_during_june/

Coincidentally enough, I've been keenly aware of how beautiful the sky is for the past month

I'm not sure if it's an underrated aspect of summer per se but it's just a wonderful thing

Eddy on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    wow they replaced the original creepy photo in scp-701 (which was perfect due to its 'found footage of some low budget play' feeling) with some gamer-ass character-select-screen attempt at a creepy photo

this is the original for reference
    tumblr_pmopzxrrxP1vgf7nm_540.jpg

the new one is much worse

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @Evil Multifarious well i did it

I bought Hardbreaker: Shipspace

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    I still don't get scp

well, it's crowd-sourced content with some uneven curation, so the quality ranges from mediocre to fantastic

sadly, the best stuff tends to be the least accessible

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I still don't get scp

What’s to get? It’s edgy internet people telling each other horror stories.

Naw it's just people coming up with creepy stories. If it was "edgy" internet people coming up with it they'd be less creepy and more just flat out reprehensible.

I mean I get it if creepy stories aren't someone's thing (they're definitely not mine), or if they super are and thus amateur creepy fiction annoys them but SCP seems pretty harmless from everything I've seen.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    i guess the setting and general themes of scp don't really do much for me

like ooooga boooga everything is mysterious and redacted oooooh

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've never got on with SCP but it's never come across as edgy.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    There's an apocryphal story that floats around the SCP fandom of how one fan's mom legitimately thinks everything on the site is real

It's just believable enough due to the total credulity displayed by some human beings. The past couple of months have bumped it from plausible to probable

Eddy on
  • Options
    i guess i just like the continuity of a cast dealing with the monsters of the week rather than the monsters just being this really weird specific thing that's just kind of there

i don't really want the x files without mulder and scully

• Options
    I just love worldbuilding

I love colossal fake worlds complete with their own lore and metaphysics and such

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i guess i just like the continuity of a cast dealing with the monsters of the week rather than the monsters just being this really weird specific thing that's just kind of there

i don't really want the x files without mulder and scully

I don't really view any of the SCP entries I've read as stories. More like story hooks I guess?

Basically a range of goofy to interesting Monster Manual descriptions that could become entertaining as a DM but aren't much more than that on their own.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I just love worldbuilding

I love colossal fake worlds complete with their own lore and metaphysics and such

I think this is one of the main drivers why I like computer rpg’s so much.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The best SCP entries feel like "official" found footage in written form

Most of them just feel like a heavy overuse of REDACTED and REDACTED

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Burnage wrote: »

it's very definitely swerved away from that [redacted] stuff - because the scp people got tired of that too - so maybe not most of them, anymore

a lot of the ones I've read in the last couple of years have been pretty good about it

and my favourite thing to spring from that, the ones that are layered into clearance levels where the [REDACTED] stuff gets revealed one step at a time, which I've often found quite a nice structure

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I also just really like the whole aesthetic of secret facilities of concrete and security doors and strong-ass bitter cafeteria coffee, and all the mundane details around the organization that come through in descriptions of events and measures

not the dreary overly specific description of walls and stuff, which is also something their guides specifically tell you to not do - just write "standard containment cell" or similar, if a locked room is really what you're describing. Specifics in the containment procedures should be noticeable details if they're out of the ordinary, not lost in descriptions of how the walls are 450mm concrete walls. But I guess what I'm saying is that I really like the framing device that is the scp format.

also exploration logs in pretty much any of them are to me the literal equivalent of a bowl of crisps

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    although it's hard to say anything about "most of them" unless you're deep into it because count stands at, according to wikipedia, about 5700 SCP articles and about 3000 of the short stories

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Got tested for Corona yesterday, got a call back that I do not have it. Soooo relieved.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Control does the redacted thing so well

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    @milski instead of video games, Bel and I sat around laughing all night while I read aloud all of June in that thread you linked :):)

that shit is gold

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »

it's very definitely swerved away from that [redacted] stuff - because the scp people got tired of that too - so maybe not most of them, anymore

a lot of the ones I've read in the last couple of years have been pretty good about it

and my favourite thing to spring from that, the ones that are layered into clearance levels where the [REDACTED] stuff gets revealed one step at a time, which I've often found quite a nice structure

It's been cool seeing the macro conventions shift

scp-002-999 = spooky thing what kills you
    scp-1000-1999 = spookier [redacted] what kills you
    scp-2000-2999 = postmodernist format screw what kills you
    scp-3000-3999 = meta-commentary what kills you
    scp-4000-4999 = let's just get real weird with it
    scp-5000-5999 = SCP Neoclassicalism

Eddy on
  • Options
    @Eddy I had the most amazingly meta experience with SCP the other day because of you.

You'd linked to the antimemetics stories, and I went back and realized I hadn't read a whole set of them!
    So I read http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2256 which was new to me but vaguely reminded me of something

Then I read http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-3125 and I looked at the touchpad

and suddenly I remembered the code

so I typed it in, and I was right. Started reading, and realized that I'd read this before and forgotten it...

fucking hell that was unsettling :):)

• Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I refuse to even smile at the title "[name redacted]" unless it's a cover of a John Cage classic, or I get taken down by a particularly violent MTF, or I start worshiping the king in yellow

whew I spooked myself out just thinking about the king in yellow and had to turn on the lights

To be clear he is absolutely real and also coming for you

I'm going to sue creepypasta sites with the same legal scaffolding used by the Twitch simp

Just gratuitously introduce pictures of like, abandoned houses and moldy dolls

an affidavit devoted to all the times I peepooed myself (in fear, not for laziness or sexual gratification [I'll of course clarify for the court those instances out of an abundance of transparency])

really enjoying "peepoo" as a verb here

• Options
    edited July 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Eddy I had the most amazingly meta experience with SCP the other day because of you.

You'd linked to the antimemetics stories, and I went back and realized I hadn't read a whole set of them!
    So I read http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2256 which was new to me but vaguely reminded me of something

so I typed it in, and I was right. Started reading, and realized that I'd read this before and forgotten it...

what's the code

Crimson King on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    @Mazzyx I think you have two options if you wanted to port this over to 5E

Just translate it, as is knowing that some things have an immediate equivalent (feats are gone, right? so treat these like unique class features then). If you go this route, I highly recommend just making the adjustments based on what players in your game actually choose vs. converting the whole thing. Pros of this approach is most of the work is done for you, cons are that some things will probably feel a little bolted on and you are putting a huge burden on your players by forcing them to read a lot of book that they may not understand if they don't have PF familiarity.

The other, more preferable option IMO, is to just reduce all of the nuts and bolts down to flat bonuses and categories and let players dictate it based on what they want. Something like, at 1st level everyone gets to choose a Ancestral Bloodlines and Heritage Proficiency. All of the bloodline abilities fall into general categories: Environmental, Occupational, and Magical.

Give them advantage as it relates to their bloodline choice - if they go the occupational route, they choose 1 skill that they always have advantage rolling. For Environmental and Magical, give them advantage in specific situations - ie, Arctic Elves always have advantage when rolling to resist the effect of Cold. Or Dwarves have advantage when rolling to resist spells from a particular school of magic.

For the Heritage Proficiencies, I would just grant additional proficiencies based on their choices. Again - don't convert anything, make it about what the player wants.

• Options

what's the code

It's a fun little puzzle to work out but if you've consumed a lot of SCP within this world, it should jump out at you:
    Look to the Fifthist SCPs - there are overtones here - or type

• Options
    SCP has got to be the most consistently high-quality. high-volume collaborative writing project in the history of the world.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

It just keeps getting betterer

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Eddy I had the most amazingly meta experience with SCP the other day because of you.

They say an Antimemetics Division operative is as good on their first day as they're ever likely to be...

Also, something startling I learned about that subgenre(?) of SCP is that although the broad strokes touch on the threats of fascism and institutional impotency / myopia in the face of longterm global crises, the author got a lot of inspiration of the human-level reaction to antimemetics from Alzheimer's, and it hit me very hard because I spent so much time thinking about the occluded thematic inspirations that I missed the immediate and ubiquitous adult fear that screams out from the page...

• Options
    SCP has got to be the most consistently high-quality. high-volume collaborative writing project in the history of the world.

this is an interesting question

shakespeare's plays might count, it's not clear how collaborative those were

• Options

this isn't very high praise when Harry Potter erotic fanfiction is second

This discussion has been closed.