As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PbP] [Fellowship] Let the Prologue Commence!

• Options
    InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Bonds:

I cannot help but respect Namora.

Ferun seeks power like mine, but is not yet ready.

Arthur and I used to fight all the time, but we can't remember why.

I will use my strength to keep Rose safe.

@Dex Dynamo
    @JusticeforPluto
    @El Skid
    @AustinP0027

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    That ties in well with the one that I speculated at for Kaj. @Invictus

Kaj and I have shared a moment of piece together

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Invictus wrote: »
    Bonds:

Not opposed but can you explain what power you wield that I seek? My back story is that I'm a professional soldier hoping to follow in my parents footsteps. Perhaps I am skilled, but not as skilled as you?

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I'd like to go with "I have never had a more loyal ally than Kaj."

• Options
    Invictus wrote: »
    Bonds:

Not opposed but can you explain what power you wield that I seek? My back story is that I'm a professional soldier hoping to follow in my parents footsteps. Perhaps I am skilled, but not as skilled as you?

Yup. I'm an older Orc, an experienced fighter even among a race that has recently won its freedom with combat, part of the reason I was chosen by the Orcs. If I understand your character correctly, you are a young dwarf, untested and inexperienced. You might not think to yourself "I want to be like Kaj," but Kaj sees you and thinks "The thing it is that Ferun wants is a thing I have developed over a lifetime."

• Options
    Sounds good!

• Options
    @JusticeforPluto

I think the one I had still works for Ferun given the rumor/backstory about Dwarves I established for Arthur.

I've never even seen someone like Ferun before

• Options
    I played around with a map making tool for fun. Based off what little I know, this is what I made. Might be a little large.
    6p4bxjt7spzy.jpg

• Options
    That's awesome looking!

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I see we have another Wonderdraft user in here!

I was considering doing the same thing, so well done

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Arthur is looked at as a younger bother, one to protect as he finds his place in the world.
    I grudgingly respect Namora. For a pirate, she has redeemable qualities.
    I view Kaj as a respected elder, one to learn from.
    Rose is a great drinking buddy.

• Options

Inkarnate actually.

I was really relaxing, and then really stressful once I had to go into more detail.

• Options

Inkarnate actually.

I was really relaxing, and then really stressful once I had to go into more detail.

I see! I thought I recognised the assets, but then I imagine they wouldn't be all that different between the two.

I can make maps for days. Such a great way to just kill a couple of hours if you're stuck at home. I was actually planning on doing smaller 'Region' maps as we go, to eventually form one, larger map once enough detail were established.

• Options
    Well dont let me stop ya, I was just having fun and didnt mean to step on your toes.

• Options
    Oh, not at all! I'm just not used to my players taking the initiative to that degree!

In fact, with your permission, I could incorporate your design into the eventual wider map if that okay? You've basically charted the area that the QoS has devastated thus far, so it'd be pretty handy to use.

• Options
    I prefer to work with Rose when I can. (Birds of a feather!)
    Ferun's people have aided mine throughout history. (This is some new lore I'd like to propose: it turns out, when your people exist metaphorically underground, people who exist literally underground are a great friend to have!)

• Options
    For my last slot:

I know I can trust Rose no matter what

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Sorry I’m late to the party!

My bond ideas for Rose:

I don’t think Arthur has noticed how much I like him

I will never lie to Namora Rose

Kaj has my back when things get tough out there

I respect Isensya, and they respect me too!

E-
    Rose’s riding dog is a Great Dane named Barktholomew, or more often just Barky.

Bonds:

Barky would give his life for Rose
    Barky is a good boy, and follows Rose’s commands

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    This is how bonds stand at the moment. Everyone should ideally have 2 bonds with each other member of the Fellowship, at least one each of a bond they have made, and a bond made with them. There's a lot of interesting stuff here, so I'll leave this for a bit and if there's any shared history you guys would like to expand on from these bonds, feel free to do so now. More details never hurt anybody!

I'd also like to remind everyone to double check their playbooks at this time. Make sure you have set up any companions and gear you may have, and make sure you have bonds with them where applicable. Overall, make sure you're happy to play as the Fellowship sits now, and if you need to make any changes, post in this thread and tag anyone relevant, or shoot me a PM if there's anything I, specifically, can help with.

The Halfling - Rose Leaflighter
    I don’t think Arthur has noticed how much I like him

I will never lie to Namora Rose

Kaj has my back when things get tough out there

I respect Ferun, and they respect me too!

The Squire - Arthur Greenhand
    Kaj and I have shared a moment of peace together

I know I can trust Rose no matter what

I have Namora's back no matter what

I've never even seen someone like Ferun before

The Heir - Namora Rose
    I shall take Arthur under my wing, and teach him all that I know.

I have never had a more loyal ally than Kaj.

I prefer to work with Rose when I can.

Ferun's people have aided mine throughout history.

The Orc - Kaj Sirocco

I will use my strength to keep Rose safe

The Dwarf - Ferun Hirban
    F:

Arthur is looked at as a younger bother, one to protect as he finds his place in the world.

I grudgingly respect Namora. For a pirate, she has redeemable qualities.

I view Kaj as a respected elder, one to learn from.

Rose is a great drinking buddy.

C:

I owe Ririnda Donarek a life debt.

I would rather die at Garseck Teden's side than anywhere else in the world.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Oh right, I need 2 bonds with my dog! And I guess I can flesh it out a bit too, while I’m at it.

Rose’s riding dog is a Great Dane named Barktholomew, or more often just Barky.

Bonds:

Barky would give his life for Rose
    Barky is a good boy, and follows Rose’s commands

I see Barky as being really good at reading Rose, and using that information to decide how to treat people. Rose has a good poker face and doesn’t really let her true emotions show mostly. But she really likes Arthur, so Barky is probably a bit too friendly with him. But if Rose dislikes someone Barky wil probably pick up on that and put his ears back, maybe growl in extreme cases... even as Rose laughs and jokes while playing a card game and not really acknowledging the person.

El Skid on
  • Options
    I have one bond with each of my companions:

O'Hare the Butler is a friend of the family. He basically raised me.
    Watchtower the Bodyguard would give his life for me. (I'm not happy about it, but such is being royalty, I suppose...)
    Getaway the Getaway Horse has proven a valuable companion.

I also still have to choose a Fellowship Move for the Community I Call Home.

• Options
    Sandstorm is similarly old and experienced to Kaj, and while they treat each other as equals, both know that Kaj is the brains of the operation.

Bond with my mount:

Sandstorm is an ally who expects that I know better than he does.

• Options
    @The Brayster Actually, I'm struggling a bit with this Fellowship move I should take.

Here's the text of the item in my gear:

"You also gain the Fellowship of the community you call home. Choose one Fellowship move from Chapter 4 to start the game with."

Does this reflect the community of Cut-Purse Cove, or somewhere else entirely? And if the latter, do you have any guidance for where you'd like us to start off or where I'm calling home or is this something I'm making up largely wholesale? If so that's cool, but I just want to know what I should be aiming for.

• Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    @The Brayster Actually, I'm struggling a bit with this Fellowship move I should take.

"You also gain the Fellowship of the community you call home. Choose one Fellowship move from Chapter 4 to start the game with."

Does this reflect the community of Cut-Purse Cove, or somewhere else entirely? And if the latter, do you have any guidance for where you'd like us to start off or where I'm calling home or is this something I'm making up largely wholesale? If so that's cool, but I just want to know what I should be aiming for.

I definitely read that as you gaining the fellowship of (in your case) Cut-Purse Cove, as this is the mechanical advantage you gain in virtue of being their ruler. But @The Brayster has last say, obviously.

• Options
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »

This would be for Cut-Purse Cove, the community you rule over. Should the Fellowship ever venture there for any reason, they don't need to earn the trust/loyalty of the locals, you already command it!

You can pick any of these options you like, but I have a couple of conditions:
    • Supported by the book: You can pick any Community Bond, even those with Race prefixes that aren't your own. We can rename these to be more appropriate, but if you do this, please provide a justification as to why this would apply to your people too.
    • GM Specific: Some of the Community bonds allow you to gain extra companions, or even a Small Army! The book doesn't say anything on this, but I have a House Rule - if the community bond provides this, you do not have this benefit immediately, you gain it when you first visit your own community. The reason I have for this is that, while the idea of starting with a Small Army off the bat might sound awesome, it makes balancing a bit tougher for me in the early stages. Either I throw a slow ball and you use the army to crush it effortlessly, or I overcompensate with a fast ball and annihilate your chances of success. The middle ground can be tough to find! So sure, you can summon an army from your community for an epic clash with the armies of the Overlord, but you need to go home and muster them first!

• Options
    Got it! In that case, there's one Fellowship move that feels especially appropriate:

The Pleasures of a Nomadic Life
    This community has decided to come with you, traveling behind you for the rest of your adventure. (I'm going to lightly re-flavor this, below)
    You gain all the benefits of having a community within an hour's walk of you at all times, and they can always provide you new mounts and a safe place to rest, should you need them.

I like the idea that, being a people that are in scattered pockets across the world, we're never far from a crew of Riders Errant. They may not be the nicest people to hang around, but it never hurts to have a friend around the corner.

(Let me know if you want me to pick another option)

• Options
    No, that's awesome, we can work with that!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Everyone can have any time they need, but if everyone is ready for us to finish up creation and begin our journey, give this post an agree so I know I can move us on.

In related news, spent a couple of hours making a region map for where we will be beginning. Context will come naturally once we start. (Not necessarily my finest work, but the entire game won't take place here, so it does the job).
    yPtTa73.png

This region is pretty North on the main continent, the fallen Kingdom of Sedonia and surrounding territories (as illustrated by Justice) would fall East and North-East of this region. Everything north of the mountains is pretty much hostile territory due to the rising power of The Queen of Souls.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    @El Skid just wanted to check, do you need any more time or are you good to go?

While I finish prepping the 'Prologue', as it were, does anyone have any questions or need me to clarify anything about how the game works, flow wise? I've penned a couple of things below that I might get asked about, but hit me with anything you can think of.

1) What are my Dice?

Fellowship is exceptionally simple compared to more stat-based RPG's. Your roll and result is always the outcome of two six-sided die (2d6) + the stat modifier for the move you made (Each standard Move will tell you the relevant Stat).

On any standard roll, roll 2d6.

If you roll with Hope, you roll 3d6 and your result will be the highest two.

If you roll with Despair, you roll 3d6 and your result will be the lowest two.

That's it.

2) Is there initiative, or a set turn order?

Nope! The 'Spotlight' shines on the person who has something to do, right now. Players can step up and take it when they feel it is their natural time to shine, or pass it on to another player if they feel that their actions would flow well into someone elses. Failing this, The Overlord will step in to 'steal' the spotlight, doing something themselves to force the action forward, or swing it at another player to force them into action.

3) I don't know what to do / what roll should I make?

Keep Them Busy is your core move to fall back on when nothing else springs to mind. You don't have the Advantage, you don't have a plan, you're not looking to get away, you don't meet the conditions for a custom move. You are helping keep the threat contained while someone else makes another move. This is your neutral gear - when in doubt, Keep Them Busy.

4) Finish Them(?)

A lot of people tend to get caught up on this, but Finish Them doesn't always mean putting a violent end to a life! The Move description itself gives some examples of non-violent uses of this Move, but in short, you can use Finish Them to put an end to any situation where you hold a discernable advantage, you just have to apply the relevant Stat. You can end a debate in your favour using Finish Them, and it doesn't mean putting a dagger in their throat (but don't let me tell you how to live your life)!

and, for the sake of Full Disclosure:

5) Overlord Cuts

The moves I make, as The Overlord, are referred to as 'cuts'. There are two kinds, a Soft Cut and a Hard Cut. When I take the spotlight, I will use a cut to force a situation on at least one player, then immediately surrender the spotlight directly to that player, or the player best situated to get involved. This is always in service of making the situation more interesting.

Example: The fellowship is entangled in a fight with some bandits, who release an attack dog to take down Player A.

Soft Cut: 'Player A, during this fight you hear an angry snarl and the furious gallop of four paws as an attack dog is set loose and pounces towards you. How do you react?'. This is a Soft Cut, it is a situation inviting you to react with very clear consequences if you fail to do so - you're definitely going to get bitten, and you're likely to get pinned down.

Hard Cut: 'Player A, as you pull your sword from the bandit, you feel the presence of something rapidly closing on your flank. Before you can react, an attack dog sinks its fangs into your arm, knocking you to the ground with the momentum of its leap. Take Damage'. This is a Hard Cut, a situation in which you do not get to pre-empt the consequence, this thing just happens to you. You are simply left to react in the aftermath.

I will use a combination of the two - each has it's own distinct purpose. If I'm using Soft Cuts, I'm steering events into a new direction or highlighting new opportunities. If I'm using Hard Cuts, I'm not just being a dick*, I'm making you very much aware that you're not immortal, and need to understand that you are in danger.

*Ultimately, I do want you guys to 'Win' overall. But I am also The Overlord, you are going to bleed for it.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    I’m good to go @“The Brayster” unless there’s something I’m missing!

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Your Story Begins...

Two weeks ago, your fellowship enjoyed the last nights rest that anyone could reasonably describe as 'comfortable', before setting off North from the farming village of Tawdrywood, knowing full well a bitter journey lay ahead of you all. It was clear from the moment you arrived that while the village had cetrainly been established here for a while, it was not an old village. Indeed, it was made apparent on your arrival that this village doubled as both a farming hamlet and a military barracks, housing the soldiers who would otherwise man the wall at Rolvik's gate while rotated out. The entire area eminated a gentle sorrow while you were present, and upon learning that your fellowship was destined Northward, your group was hurried away from their camping arrangements into the barracks, where they were hastily provided a warm meal and a stiff bunk. While no one said as much, you got the impression this was being provided for you out of a twisted sense of pity, a 'Last Farewell'.

A few days of travel later you came upon the fortress of Rolvik's Gate. This fortress is the pride of the 'New North', guarding the only land route between civilisation to the south and the ruins of the 'Old North'. To the South, the Kingdom of Rudavia, through which you have travelled for the better part of the last moon. To the North, the Kingdom of Brevik and beyond that, the Kindom of Sedonia, once ancient rivals to Rudavia, now nothing more than ruins and memories. The fortress itself is impressive and even intimidating to the beholder, massive iron gates that seem so tall as to reach to the very sky, and so wide as to allow 500 men abreast to march through when fully opened. Aside the gate on either side, strong, thick walls of stone and iron, built into the very mountains themselves. It was here that you found yourselves in the presence of Lord Commander Titus Drake, the man responsible for the defense of all civilisation against whatever it was that was bringing ruin to his northern neighbours.

The Lord Commander was not used to the idea of civilised folk from the south wanting to head beyond the gate into unknown peril. It was here that you explained that you had been sent on this errand for a very specific artifact - 'The Horn of Yr'manse', a relic of the Heroes of Eld, a band of heroes who defeated an ancient evil that threatened the world many centuries ago. Such relics were well known, though only few remain accounted for, held in treasury vaults and thronerooms across the kingdoms, reminders to each that their people had once produced a great hero. The Horn of Yr'manse is one such relic, left behind in the Great Migration that saw the peoples of the north hurry south from an unknown peril, laying somewhere in the inner halls of Castle Irvine, or so it is believed. The Lord Commander scoffed at the quest, yet pity remained in his eyes. "Go then, find your relic" Drake uttered, "Though I must beg you - if you find whatever it is that sleeps in those lands, pray leave it there. Our peoples have suffered enough".

With these parting words from the Lord Commander, your fellowship set off North once again, through Rolvik's Gate and out the other side, into lands cold and hostile. The rest of your journey, arduous as it was, saw little of note occur. Hopes were raised and dashed when the party set eyes on the ruined village of Middleswood, as the promise of shelter turned to disappointment - whoever had attacked this village had damaged it enough, the weather since had rendered what remained, uninhabitable.

At last, the Fellowship arrives at the gates of Castle Irvine, which, to the surprise of all present, seemed to be in somewhat decent condition. The old fortress that once served as the seat of some high lord or another looms over you, with the promise that danger likely resides within.

What do you do now?
    Tagging everyone to let them know we're starting! @El Skid @AustinP0027 @Dex Dynamo @JusticeforPluto @Invictus .

In general, I'd like our posts to follow the same format as this one. In Character conversations, observations and actions out in the open, then Out Of Character discussion/questions, dice rolls and Move Announcements in spoilers at the end. From this point, feel free to grab the spotlight whenever you wish if theres something you wish to do, say or observe.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Kaj dismounts from Sandstorm, awkwardly hurling his body across his rough saddle in order to let all of his weight slip to the ground at once. He cautiously approaches the gates, stopping a little more than an Orc's arm's-reach away, and slowly walks up and down, carefully inspecting them.

Kaj is just figuring out what's happening here, which is I understand the Move Look Closely, so I roll Sense.
    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Look Closely

I think I get to ask 3 questions, so:
    (I'm just copy-pasting from the list, so let me know if I should do anything else. Kaj is looking to find information about the gates, and in particular how best to get in.)
    What is going on here? What do my senses tell me?
    Is something hidden or out of place? If so, what looks suspicious?
    Tell me about the opening mechanism of the gates. How could it hurt me? How could it help me?

Look Closely:
    2d6+2 12 [2d6=5, 5]

Invictus on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    * As you approach the gates, you pick up the uneasy sense that this place has been disturbed recently, recent enough that the cause of the disturbance might still be here.

** There is nothing hidden to speak of, though as you get closer you can see that the gates are ajar, implying that someone (or something) has passed through from the outside.

*** The mechanism of the gates, like most defensive gates, is relatively simple and designed to stop (or delay) forced entry from the outside. The gates themselves, however, are in disrepair, guarding a castle long since abandoned. They will afford you no discernable advantage nor disadvantage.

The Brayster on
  • Options
    "Careful. Something else has come here recently." Kaj looks through the gates, and if necessary pushes them open.
    Do the gates open into a courtyard or a building? Also I feel silly doing all that stuff becuase I was thinking we'd have to open the gates somehow.

• Options
    The gates creak open onto a wide courtyard, revealing the decrepit ruins of a once functioning garrison. There's evidence of buildings which once housed a blacksmith, a stable for the knights horses, and what would look to be a barracks or mess hall. All of these features are riddled with torn-thatch rooftops, smashed in windows and doors hanging off their frames.

At the other end of the courtyard lies a large stone staircase, leading up into the castle proper. At its base, you see the outlines of three individuals, large in build... Orcs, if your eyes don't deceive you.

• Options
    Namora dismounts from Getaway the Getaway Horse, patting it gently on the side. "Not yet, friend. You'll know when it's your time to shine."

She holds up a hand to Watchtower, signaling him to take the rear and guard the horses and O'Hare. She then signals a much more esoteric series of hand gestures to O'Hare, who gets a very serious look on his face and begins rifling through a bag before pulling out a metal mixing tin.

Namora sheepishly looks around at the rest of the Fellowship. "Sometimes the really nice ones take awhile... Ahem."

Hand resting on her sword, she approaches behind Kaj, and eyes the three figures above, and whispers from the side of her mouth.

"What do you think, friend? Should I do what I do or do we let them take the first move?"

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Arthur dismounts as well after Namora and Kaj, slowly creeping up to the gates. He arrives after the other two, taking more care than necessary to sneak forward.

His eyes are drawn to three figures ahead and Kaj and Namora talk about them, but he doesn't say anything yet to his companions. Instead, Arthur tries to help by scouting the area further, looking at not just the three large creatures on the other end of the courtyard, but the courtyard itself.

Three Questions:
    Tell me about the Orcs. What are they doing? What will they do next?
    Tell me about the courtyard. How could it hurt me? How could it help me?
    Is something hidden or out of place in the courtyard? If so, what looks suspicious?

Action:
    Using Look Closely
    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Look Closely

Look Closely:
    2d6+2 10 [2d6=4, 4]

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    * The Orcs are standing in a group, all facing away from the party. Their eyes seem fixed on the castle itself. They each seem to be swaying slightly, and don't look particularly alert.

** The courtyard itself is wide open, though around at the wall edges there are a variety of delapidated buildings that once served as various castle quarters. If someone so desired, there may be various points among the ruins that could be used to hide, or launch an ambush. This would be risky, however, as some of these structures look as though it wouldn't take too much force to make them collapse.

*** Nothing appears particularly out of place. The courtyard feels eerily empty, Orcs notwithstanding.

• Options
    Arthur whispers to the other two.

"They aren't looking our way, and it looks wide open. I don't see anything out there that might jump out and surprise us.Still, never hurts to be careful."

Arthur then prepares his crossbow, stepping back slightly from the other two to allow them to decide to rush in or not, and if so, to support them as they do.

• Options
    Ferun walks up with her two companions. She jokingly asked Kaj if they are "friends of his".