As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Social Media]: The Intersection Of Money, Policy, And Hate

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Yahoo Answers is apparently shutting down completely in a few weeks and will be totally wiped in about a month.

Thought it was a little strange until I read slightly more, and it, like Facebook, has apparently been taken over by Nazis. The front page's list of "top questions" is about 75% rightwing conspiracy crap.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It isn't being shut down because of a (lack of) moderation problem or anything like that. It's being shut down because it's no longer generating enough profit for them.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Guess we'll never find out how babby is formed

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    It isn't being shut down because of a (lack of) moderation problem or anything like that. It's being shut down because it's no longer generating enough profit for them.

Those sorts of things can be left to wither for a long time if something doesn't cause their death to be accelerated. I remember that Google Plus was scheduled to stick around for a while longer than it did until security issues showed Google that it would have to actually bother to maintain it in the meantime.

Of course, I'd hardly consider Yahoo Answers' death to be "accelerated". How long has that been planned without anyone noticing or caring?

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It's probably been deprecated forever. Something internal is either shutting down, or migrating and they don't want to spend any effort on it, or traffic levels are so low it's not worth the disk space it's using up

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I thought Quora essentially replaced it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Good news! The questions will forever be available to all.

Via Typing of the Dead mods.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I thought Quora essentially replaced it.

Pretty much. Quora is actually curated, Yahoo Answers was widely known as "dumb questions and dumber answers".

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Facebook is still biasing job ads by gender despite being ordered not to discriminate in employment ads in 2019. They may have thought they could get away with it since the censoring is so insidious - women wouldn't even know that they weren't seeing ads for engineering jobs because they wouldn't be told; they just wouldn't see any or have any hints that these jobs were actually available.

I will also venture out on this very thick limb and state that Facebook is almost certainly not following any of the other anti-discrimination orders that have been handed down on them. The punishments are so light and enforcement is basically nonexistent that there's no reason why Facebook should care about following any sort of law at all. The corporation shouldn't be allowed to continue existing.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    Facebook is still biasing job ads by gender despite being ordered not to discriminate in employment ads in 2019. They may have thought they could get away with it since the censoring is so insidious - women wouldn't even know that they weren't seeing ads for engineering jobs because they wouldn't be told; they just wouldn't see any or have any hints that these jobs were actually available.

I will also venture out on this very thick limb and state that Facebook is almost certainly not following any of the other anti-discrimination orders that have been handed down on them. The punishments are so light and enforcement is basically nonexistent that there's no reason why Facebook should care about following any sort of law at all. The corporation shouldn't be allowed to continue existing.

The problem is that the controlling opinions are such a mess that nobody wants this to get anywhere near a court.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

This implies Yahoo! Answers was ever profitable which I am not sure I believe.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    One of the architects of our current hellscape has left Google:
    Chris Poole, who founded controversial online community 4chan before joining Google in 2016, has left the search giant after jumping among several groups within the company, CNBC has learned.

Poole's last official day at Google was April 13th, according to an internal repository viewed by CNBC, which described his last role as a product manager. Oftentimes, employee shares attached to hiring vest at the five-year mark, though it's unclear if that's a reason for Poole's departure now.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/04/new-florida-law-banning-tech-from-deplatforming-politicians-is-a-mess/

So Florida, AKA America's Dong, is passing legislation that bans social media companies from deplatforming political candidates or censoring large journalistic organizations. This is highly unconstitutional, but then they realized "oh shit, a lot of our state revenue comes from Disney tourism... well, shit..." and carved out a special exception for "company that owns and operates a theme park or entertainment complex". Now, likely this will get nuked to oblivion as unconstitutional under the 1st amendment. But I can imagine a world where Twitter and Facebook simply sidestep it by building TwitterLand or Six Flags Over Facebook. Or, you know, Facebook simply buys Cedar Point or something. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/04/new-florida-law-banning-tech-from-deplatforming-politicians-is-a-mess/

So Florida, AKA America's Dong, is passing legislation that bans social media companies from deplatforming political candidates or censoring large journalistic organizations. This is highly unconstitutional, but then they realized "oh shit, a lot of our state revenue comes from Disney tourism... well, shit..." and carved out a special exception for "company that owns and operates a theme park or entertainment complex". Now, likely this will get nuked to oblivion as unconstitutional under the 1st amendment. But I can imagine a world where Twitter and Facebook simply sidestep it by building TwitterLand or Six Flags Over Facebook. Or, you know, Facebook simply buys Cedar Point or something. :D

You're slipping. Dorseyworld was there for the taking.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

You're slipping. Dorseyworld was there for the taking.

Heck, "Joe Dirt's Gator World, A Twitter Enterprise".

Unless they're tying a revenue value to it, take the cheapest thing that could be argued to be a "theme park or entertainment complex" in one of the abandoned areas of the state, and tell them to fuck off.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Chris Poole, who founded controversial online community 4chan before joining Google in 2016, has left the search giant after jumping among several groups within the company, CNBC has learned.

Poole's last official day at Google was April 13th, according to an internal repository viewed by CNBC, which described his last role as a product manager. Oftentimes, employee shares attached to hiring vest at the five-year mark, though it's unclear if that's a reason for Poole's departure now.

...google was employing the founder of 4chan?

• Options

...google was employing the founder of 4chan?

Yes, ever since he sold 4chan a few years back. I've pointed to Poole's hire as symbolic of how the tech industry ignores the dark side of social media.

• Options
    Tomorrow, the Facebook Oversight Board votes on reinstating Trump.

This will not go well.

• Options

This will not go well.

I'm not 100% as pessimistic as others are.

Sure. Facebook are evil, and they could reinstate Trump because fuckers gonna fucker.

But Facebook are also greedy. If they reinstate Trump, they run the risk of pissing off a lot of people and having a measurable number of users abandon the platform, and then they're stuck because if Trump continues to be a fucker (Narrator: He will.), then they're stuck either allowing him to peddle his hate and lies, or removing him again, and having to deal with people on both sides abandoning the platform.

They have to weigh up whether the number of people that will leave the platform if he's returned, versus the number of people who'll return, and not then leave again when Trump continues the Big Lie.

That also provides the perfect out. If Trump had disappeared into Maralago, and remained silent for the past five months, maybe it could be argued that it needs reconsideration. But he hasn't. He's been publicly stating the exact same kind of garbage that Facebook have said is unacceptable on their platform.

If you kick someone out of a library for flinging their own shit at the stacks, and they spend the next five months flinging theor own shit at the front door, you don't reconsider reinstating their library priveledges.

Note, I don't think Facebook won't choose to reinstate him because denying reinstatement is the right thing to do. They're not about that. I'm not delusional.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

This will not go well.

Sure. Facebook are evil, and they could reinstate Trump because fuckers gonna fucker.

But Facebook are also greedy. If they reinstate Trump, they run the risk of pissing off a lot of people and having a measurable number of users abandon the platform, and then they're stuck because if Trump continues to be a fucker (Narrator: He will.), then they're stuck either allowing him to peddle his hate and lies, or removing him again, and having to deal with people on both sides abandoning the platform.

They have to weigh up whether the number of people that will leave the platform if he's returned, versus the number of people who'll return, and not then leave again when Trump continues the Big Lie.

That also provides the perfect out. If Trump had disappeared into Maralago, and remained silent for the past five months, maybe it could be argued that it needs reconsideration. But he hasn't. He's been publicly stating the exact same kind of garbage that Facebook have said is unacceptable on their platform.

If you kick someone out of a library for flinging their own shit at the stacks, and they spend the next five months flinging theor own shit at the front door, you don't reconsider reinstating their library priveledges.

Note, I don't think Facebook won't choose to reinstate him because denying reinstatement is the right thing to do. They're not about that. I'm not delusional.

The problem with this analysis is that the quasi-independent Oversight Board is probably not primarily interested in Facebook's business interests.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »

This will not go well.

The problem with this analysis is that the quasi-independent Oversight Board is probably not primarily interested in Facebook's business interests.

Legit question, any evidence of the quasi-independence of the Oversight Board?

I mean, I guess it's possible, but I have zero faith in the ability of corporations policing themselves in a fair and just manner (or opening themselves up to be judged in that manner).

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    According to fox news, trump has launched a brand new "communication platform"

(actually just a blog)

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Disqus, the US company who offers services for comments on various websites, is in hot water.

The Norwegian Data Protection Authority (DPA; "Datatilsynet" in Norwegian) is preparing to fine Disqus 25 million NOK (3 million USD) for violating Norwegian data laws. This fine is about 15% of Disqus' estimated earnings.

DPA alleges that Disqus has used their comment fields to illegally gather and sell data on Norwegian users without their knowledge and consent, and also without the knowledge of the owners on the websites who bought Disqus' services.

The reason for the spying is apparently that Disqus didn't realize that Norway and Norwegian users were covered by the GDPR until 511 days after it took effect.

The spying was uncovered by the Norwegian public broadcaster NRK's computer news division NRK Beta in 2019.

Disqus has the option of disputing the allegations.

Via NRK (Norwegian) and DPA (English).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Burtletoy wrote: »

(actually just a blog)

A blog that looks like it was slapped together in 10 minutes;
    00Mj83JsA96mTAMCcSgMww3-1.1620162238.fit_lim.size_1600x900.jpg

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

(actually just a blog)

This is making international news, mostly to make fun of it/him.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

This will not go well.

Looks like you were right. They upheld the ban.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

(actually just a blog)

This is making international news, mostly to make fun of it/him.

It seems like it's deliberately designed to look vaguely twitter-like, which is even funnier.

It's literally the "give him a word document and tell him it's a blog" solution, but it's a wordpress page instead.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Facebook took what was the most obvious route: try and find some way to not be yelled at by either side of the Trump-facebook-ban argument

https://www.cnn.com/business/live-news/facebook-trump-decision-05-05-21/index.html
    Facebook just released a statement reacting to the oversight board's decision this morning ruling that Facebook can keep blocking former President Trump from using its platform.

"As we stated in January, we believe our decision was necessary and right, and we’re pleased the board has recognized that the unprecedented circumstances justified the exceptional measure we took," Nick Clegg, VP of Global Affairs and Communications, said in the statement.

The board said, however, that Facebook must review its decision to block Trump from the platform within six months.

"We're still going to block him but we're gonna come back and pretend to think about it again soon"

Facebook wants to avoid the heat for him calling for a rebellion again but doesn't want to have to actually rebuke him for doing that directly.

shryke on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    it was pretty much the best outcome possible from anything involving both trump and facebook, so I'm happy

• Options
    That avatar on the blog is something else. It's a dictionary-sized book that he's...writing in?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    That avatar on the blog is something else. It's a dictionary-sized book that he's...writing in?
    It's what they always show to show him as busy.

Coincidentally, the same thing he used to do to his Dad when he was getting hit hard with Dementia.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Signal puts out an ad that shows off the info that Facebook collects, and Facebook immediately Facebooks:
    A series of Instagram ads run by the privacy-positive platform Signal got the messaging app booted from the former’s ad platform, according to a blog post Signal published on Tuesday. The ads were meant to show users the bevy of data that Instagram and its parent company Facebook collects on users, by... targeting those users using Instagram’s own adtech tools.

The actual idea behind the ad campaign is pretty simple. Because Instagram and Facebook share the same ad platform, any data that gets hoovered up while you’re scrolling your Insta or Facebook feeds gets fed into the same cesspool of data, which can be used to target you on either platform later.

Across each of these platforms, you’re also able to target people using a nearly infinite array of data points collected by Facebook’s herd of properties. That data includes basic details, like your age or what city you might live in. It may also include more granular points: say, whether you’re looking for a new home, whether you’re single, or whether you’re really into energy drinks.

• Options
    This is not fake:
    E0ok6drXsAYilHw?format=jpg&name=small

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Loud idiot doesn't know how government works. News at 11.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    “Private businesses should be free from the oppressive hand of government....until they do something I don’t like. Then they should be forced to comply!”

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    This is not fake:
    E0ok6drXsAYilHw?format=jpg&name=small

The stupid here has gone to plaid

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    “Private businesses should be free from the oppressive hand of government....until they do something I don’t like. Then they should be forced to comply!”

Again, for conservatives, the law is meant to protect but not bind them, and to bind but not protect anyone else.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Oh, and regarding Trump's blog, no one else can comment, if you click like you can't unclick it, and metrics can't be viewed by anyone.

It's his own little safe space.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Moving this to the proper thread:
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Let me know when facebook actually starts routing out the Conspiracy theorists, racists and perveyors of "alternative facts".

Politico had an article yesterday that mentioned 2/3rds of Facebook users view rightwing media and that the GOP spent over $200 million in Facebook ads during the 2020 election, so I wouldn’t hold my breath. I’m honestly surprised to find out that Trump’s remains banned.

like .... on purpose? or because it's shoved in our faces?

Ultra right-wing sites and videos are by far the most shared on Facebook. It's the default non-TV news source for conservatives.

It's also well known at this point that Facebook prioritizes and signal boosts right wing shit, conspiracy posts, and anti vaccine hogwash on the site because it drives views and engagement. They've known for years now that the negative, toxic right wing posts are ruining the facebook community and making people crazy, and they don't care. One jackass spewing hate gets a bunch of other people to click so it's all gravy.

They should care, because toxic engagement is not good for their business.

Facebook is a lifestyle brand and should be focusing on happy consumer stuff like “my new baby” (plus lots of baby gear ads) or “my party on Tuesday” (plus lots of beer ads)

What they don’t need is “why immigrants are evil” stuff because it’s a downer even if you are racist and doesn’t sell anything (maybe ammo)

I agree. I've been waiting for the last few years for people to simply abandon the platform because it's all hateful toxicity now, and they steal every piece of your information they can find and intrude into your private life as much as possible. But somehow people keep using the platform....

it's because there's nothing better at the moment

if there was some website called 'shoulderbook' or something, that had roughly the same layout but less shitty practices, I'd be there in a heartbeat

There probably are. But how committed are you to searching out and using other platforms when you already have one? Imperfect as it is?

well, I tried mewe but heard it was essentially the same as facebook with regards to far right news, there was some myspace clone, but I couldn't actually get it to work very well, myspace is dead, parler and gab are obviously no goes, twitter blows, and instagram is facebook

if I'm missing one, I'd love to know! (legitimately not sarcastically)

edit: wait, this is the coup thread, sorry

want to move this over to the social media thread?

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Oh, and regarding Trump's blog, no one else can comment, if you click like you can't unclick it, and metrics can't be viewed by anyone.

It's his own little safe space.

That dipshits will screenshot and post to Twitter to repollute everything

This discussion has been closed.