As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread can't open until schools do.

• Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So the attorney general of the state of Texas issued a finding this past week saying that local health authorities have no authority to mandate school closures. Previously the Texas Education Agency (state agency regulating schools, disbursing funds, etc.) said that if schools remain closed under a local health authority then they'll still get funding. After the attorney general's finding, TEA reversed course and said if schools do not offer in-person education for those that request it they will not get funding.

Soooo that's great ya know.

Well the superintendant of one of the public San Antonio school districts on the news went "okay sure and we will sue you and see you in court"

I wish the local school districts in my area had tried to stand up to it instead of just going, "Well, I guess we're opening 100% in person on day 1!"

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Paywalled(ish) but:

One of the first school districts in the U.S. to reopen its doors during the pandemic did not even make it a day before a call came from the county health department — a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive https://t.co/gTmeoCjZkW

from the article:
    Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus.

so.

yeah.

What kind of monster school department starts school on August 1st?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Paywalled(ish) but:

One of the first school districts in the U.S. to reopen its doors during the pandemic did not even make it a day before a call came from the county health department — a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive https://t.co/gTmeoCjZkW

from the article:
    Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus.

so.

yeah.

All throughout the South and Southwest

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

The whole thing is crazy, because in media you pick and choose word choice carefully to avoid this kind of thing. But here we are, even worse, phrasing wearing ppe during a pandemic as a "debate" for some god awful reason to promote neutrality or controversy on something very clear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Muh freedoms, I don't care if I have to ruin everyone's day.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-01-20-intl/h_8ad604eda5aa3be2fe3bc1b8ed1eb83c
    A Delta flight was forced to return to the gate when two of their customers wouldn’t wear masks, according to Delta Air Lines spokesperson Emma Protis.

Protis told CNN in an email that Flight 1227 on July 23 was on its way from Detroit to Atlanta when they were forced to turn around.

Delta released the following statement to CNN:
    "Flight 1227 from Detroit to Atlanta returned to the gate following two customers who were non-compliant with crew instructions. After a short delay, the aircraft departed to Atlanta.""

The two passengers were removed from the plane, Protis said.

According to Delta's website, "Delta customers and employees are required to wear a face mask, or appropriate cloth face covering over their nose and mouth throughout their travel, aligning with best practice guidelines from the CDC."

I'm surprised they even left the gate before making sure everyone had masks on.

Probably took them off once the plane was in the air. Probably thought it was like a road trip and no matter what they the adult wouldn't actually follow through with don't make me turn this around threat.

Yeah. Lotta people seem to think flight attendants are like waiters or waitresses.

I mean, they do that too, but they're also there for emergencies. You either obey them or you will regret it. They can, and will, turn this plane right around young man!

Yeah, you kinda hope they follow through with the implied threat of prosecution in their initial safety announcement, but it being federal aviation safety law... *looks at who is ultimately responsible for federal law in the country* I'm not counting on it.

Unless that is completely outside his jurisdiction and he chooses not to ignore that it's completely outside his jurisdiction.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

The whole thing is crazy, because in media you pick and choose word choice carefully to avoid this kind of thing. But here we are, even worse, phrasing wearing ppe during a pandemic as a "debate" for some god awful reason to promote neutrality or controversy on something very clear.

They just have so much faith that they are cunning linguists

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Trump retweeted this:

Amazing how Trump cannot help but attack support for basic virus containment measures

• Options
    https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-07-30/column-kodak-drug-ingredients
    Worth noting: Among the drugs Kodak initially will focus on will be hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug that Trump has repeatedly pushed as a coronavirus treatment but that scientists say can cause harm.

Harvard’s Frank said that while increased domestic drug production may be prudent from a national security perspective, tapping a company with little pharmaceutical experience as your backstop doesn’t make a lot of sense.

“There’s a lot more to it than just knowing chemical engineering,” he said. “You need to know the suppliers. You need to know the regulatory structure. You need to know the distribution network.”

Anirban Basu, a professor of health economics at the University of Washington, said it’s hard to understand why drug companies would purchase higher-priced ingredients from Kodak, “unless the government puts out a regulation forcing them to do so.”

That’s definitely not something Trump is proposing, or that any Republican lawmaker would support.
    Of freaking course. This is definitely going to crash and burn.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Less crash and burn, more pump and dump

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    The Kodak thing is so nakedly corrupt that I'm actually surprised, I didn't think that was possible for me anymore.

...mostly, I think, because there seem to be so many other people involved in obvious ways who shouldn't expect (I would hope) to be protected against consequences come the next administration.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-07-30/column-kodak-drug-ingredients
    Worth noting: Among the drugs Kodak initially will focus on will be hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug that Trump has repeatedly pushed as a coronavirus treatment but that scientists say can cause harm.

Harvard’s Frank said that while increased domestic drug production may be prudent from a national security perspective, tapping a company with little pharmaceutical experience as your backstop doesn’t make a lot of sense.

“There’s a lot more to it than just knowing chemical engineering,” he said. “You need to know the suppliers. You need to know the regulatory structure. You need to know the distribution network.”

Anirban Basu, a professor of health economics at the University of Washington, said it’s hard to understand why drug companies would purchase higher-priced ingredients from Kodak, “unless the government puts out a regulation forcing them to do so.”

That’s definitely not something Trump is proposing, or that any Republican lawmaker would support.
    Of freaking course. This is definitely going to crash and burn.

My question is which Trump family member or business associate has the stake in the drug.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    FujiFilm had to buy out some companies to to use its patents and chemical expertise to enter the medical market. I am not sure how the husk of Kodak can do that without something similar.

Hell, Kodak even sold its Healthcare Imaging branch in 2007 to shove more money into comeras.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Couscous wrote: »
    Trump retweeted this:

Amazing how Trump cannot help but attack support for basic virus containment measures

It's important to note who is making that tweet.

Richard Grenell is the former acting DNI and former Ambassador to Germany who was very nearly PNG'd out due to being a shit

Also an utterly incompetent right wing media hack but that kind of goes without saying in this administration

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Paywalled(ish) but:

from the article:

so.

yeah.

Why?

I went to the high school in NH that prided itself for being the first in the state to open, and that was only a few days - 3-5 - before Labor Day. Done for both the PR - it was a semi-private academy - and to (hopefully) offset the average number of snow days we'd get so the school year could still end in early-to-mid June.

Why would anyone make kids go to school during summer in regions where summer can be persistently oppressively hot?

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Have some schools adopted a year round schedule?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Have some schools adopted a year round schedule?

Not sure from the pandemic but there were ones around me in Colorado growing up that had.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Take Louisiana for example, summer break is usually sometime latter in May to early August, varies some. Even LSU is begging of May to mid August. If you want kids out of school when its not hot and humid as fuck outside most of time, may as well make breaks around late March-mid April and October. So unless you do go to year round schedule, when in the summer it is make no difference. Its a good chance to be 85-90+ most days with 70-90% humidity no matter when you pick from late April to mid September.

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Well.

Clearly we need to start a campaign to get anti-maskers proudly calling themselves mask debaters.

Ideally, a reporter asking the president, "Mr. President, you've questioned the efficacy of masks in the past. Would you say you are a mask debater?"

Taximes on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So on my errands today I listened to Radio lab on 1918.

Dispatches from 1918

It was interesting and I know a few things about this and I still learned a lot.

The tracing of the RNA of modern influenza to 1918 is fascinating. And the fact that if you want to really do a trace 1918 has been killing people for 102 years now.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I have a general question for the group. My family's been doing what we can to maintain social distancing, but every couple of weeks, we've met for a meal outside. We've gone to my mom's house to use their multi-level deck, with my mom and I on both sides of the top level and my brother's family on the lower level. We've been pretty careful, using masks whenever we have to get too close. That said, my mom in particular is getting a little antsy and is wondering if it would be possible to eat inside the house sometimes, especially as the weather gets worse. We'd still be careful, keeping families to two separate couches, but I'm not sure about the prospect.

On one hand, we're in Illinois, so it's better than a lot of other states have it, and we've avoided most of the obvious risks so far. On the other hand, I've had to return to work in an office 4/5 days, and my niece and nephew may have to return to school at the end of the month (I think Illinois in general still hasn't fully committed to a school plan.) What do you think I should do? How should I talk to my mom about this?

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    I have a general question for the group. My family's been doing what we can to maintain social distancing, but every couple of weeks, we've met for a meal outside. We've gone to my mom's house to use their multi-level deck, with my mom and I on both sides of the top level and my brother's family on the lower level. We've been pretty careful, using masks whenever we have to get too close. That said, my mom in particular is getting a little antsy and is wondering if it would be possible to eat inside the house sometimes, especially as the weather gets worse. We'd still be careful, keeping families to two separate couches, but I'm not sure about the prospect.

On one hand, we're in Illinois, so it's better than a lot of other states have it, and we've avoided most of the obvious risks so far. On the other hand, I've had to return to work in an office 4/5 days, and my niece and nephew may have to return to school at the end of the month (I think Illinois in general still hasn't fully committed to a school plan.) What do you think I should do? How should I talk to my mom about this?

Eating inside seems to be a particular risk, because there's no way to do it with a mask on. Is it necessary for this to be a meal, or can it just be a meetup where everyone wears a mask?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    Paywalled(ish) but:

from the article:

so.

yeah.

Why?

I went to the high school in NH that prided itself for being the first in the state to open, and that was only a few days - 3-5 - before Labor Day. Done for both the PR - it was a semi-private academy - and to (hopefully) offset the average number of snow days we'd get so the school year could still end in early-to-mid June.

Why would anyone make kids go to school during summer in regions where summer can be persistently oppressively hot?

School years getting longer and summers getting shorter has been an issue for a long time now. As teachers are expected to take on growing class sizes with inadequate materials, the response has been to add more school days to cover all the material.

But the folks running the education system habitually ignores the needs of the students anyway. I mean, we've known for how long now that kicking teenagers out of bed at five or six in the morning to go class starting at 7:30AM is nightmarishly horrible to them and a huge waste of effort? Yet that shit is still happening so they can cram more athletics time into afternoons without having to pay for lighting, even though we've known better for something like 30 years.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod

I mean, being inside with others for an extended period is risky. Eating, which inherently involves spraying saliva particles everywhere, is more risky. If you stay far apart and have good air ventilation and wear masks except when you're actually eating, it lowers the risk somewhat, but doesn't eliminate it. (To be fair, eating outdoors doesn't eliminate the risk either, it just lowers it further.)

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable with that level of risk, but I'm not you, I don't know your personal situation, and I'm not going to judge either way.

Basically, sitting in your house far away from everyone and never leaving for any reason makes your risk effectively zero. Any variation from that behavior adds risk. Some added risks are small, some are larger. The ones you suggest are on the larger side, but it's not at the same level as, like, going to an indoor restaurant or a gym.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've chosen to eat my meals in my car during my breaks at work. Early on I was eating in our breakroom, but I just don't feel comfortable eating in there now, especially when there are 2-3 other people also eating. Everyone's socially distanced, but it still seems like an unnecessary risk.

We've started having issues with people coming into the library who aren't wearing their masks properly. The most common one is the person wearing it over their mouth, but not their nose. Most people will bring it up when asked to do so, but we had one guy who claimed he "can't breathe" when it's on that way. In cases like that, we're supposed to say we can only assist them from behind our plexiglass shield at our desk. It's probably only a matter of time before we get an outbreak, though.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Sort of related to this current tangent, how are people handling their masks during lunch at work? I go back to work at a school tomorrow and typically I've had my lunch in my office, sometimes going to grab it out of a mini fridge. But I am under the impression that removing the mask is generally not something I want to be doing all that often, so what's the best plan there, other than just not eating until I get home? (which I may just end up doing because I'm anxious as hell)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Sort of related to this current tangent, how are people handling their masks during lunch at work? I go back to work at a school tomorrow and typically I've had my lunch in my office, sometimes going to grab it out of a mini fridge. But I am under the impression that removing the mask is generally not something I want to be doing all that often, so what's the best plan there, other than just not eating until I get home? (which I may just end up doing because I'm anxious as hell)

Surprised you don't have lunch supervision duties given the obvious dangers of a cafeteria.

School have a courtyard or something? That'd be my best advice as long as the weather is even vaguely tolerable.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'm lucky, in that i work somewhere large and the night shift is way smaller than the day shift, so i can just eat lunch 15 feet away from everyone else.

if you mean the physical routine:
    drop lunch at lunch spot -> remove gloves, wash hands -> move back to lunch spot -> open lunchbox (i only touch the zipper/interior with clean hands)
    -> eat lunch with clean hands, only putting stuff down inside the lunchbox, which is clean -> finish, close lunchbox -> put on new gloves.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    We now have an 8pm curfew in our area, basically because the government looked at the statistics and realized that most transmissions at the moment are "community transmissions" i.e, its happening in people's homes rather than in gyms and cafes.

Which I'm all in favor of if it makes it easier for the authorities to spot the shit-heads still not following the rules, but I certainly didn't have "mandatory curfew, enforced by the actual goddamn army" on my 2020 bingo card.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Surprised you don't have lunch supervision duties given the obvious dangers of a cafeteria.

School have a courtyard or something? That'd be my best advice as long as the weather is even vaguely tolerable.

I have my own tiny office, I'm the tech guy and a teacher, so I don't have lunch duty thankfully. I can easily stay away from people, in just wondering what to do with my mask while I eat. New mask after I eat? Gonna have to do laundry pretty often to wash em. Where do I put it? Just flat on a table?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

I have my own tiny office, I'm the tech guy and a teacher, so I don't have lunch duty thankfully. I can easily stay away from people, in just wondering what to do with my mask while I eat. New mask after I eat? Gonna have to do laundry pretty often to wash em. Where do I put it? Just flat on a table?

I mean, chinstrapping or going fighter-pilot style* are kind of the two main methods I've seen

Miss-Mass.jpg

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    We now have an 8pm curfew in our area, basically because the government looked at the statistics and realized that most transmissions at the moment are "community transmissions" i.e, its happening in people's homes rather than in gyms and cafes.

Which I'm all in favor of if it makes it easier for the authorities to spot the shit-heads still not following the rules, but I certainly didn't have "mandatory curfew, enforced by the actual goddamn army" on my 2020 bingo card.

Wait you have open gyms and a military curfew?

How are they demonstrating that people are definitely transmitting this at a bunch of 9PM house parties and not the gym or cafe?

Curfew is pretty awful, and really fucks over people with no home to return to. I feel like at a minimum no indoor intense breathing spaces is a step before it.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Shamelessly stolen for Jon Oliver without credit given I see

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Shamelessly stolen for Jon Oliver without credit given I see

For or from? The tweet's dated a few days after that episode of Last Week Tonight aired, at least.

edit: And clearly has the LWT editing/music on it

Kamar on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    So I have seen the writting on the wall and bought face masks today, even though Norway never mandated them(except on trains and airplanes).

Once the second wave hits I suspect that its going to become mandatory to wear them outside your home, so I bought mine early to beat the rush.

I have been wearing a mask while training at the gym, but that was actually not for virus control issues. That difficulty to breath thing the anti-maskers talk about? Sounded like a great way to increase your cardio while lifting, so I figured I would give it a try. Uncomfortable, but it was great training for actually having to wear a mask day to day.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    There are currently "no plans" to delay or cancel New York Comic Con. I just went to their site on a whim because I read something about it and I'm like no way that petri dish isn't canceled this year right? I'm pretty sure everyone gets sick at that thing anyway, COVID or not.

Nope. Still supposedly happening.

What a bunch of fucking goobers.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    There are currently "no plans" to delay or cancel New York Comic Con. I just went to their site on a whim because I read something about it and I'm like no way that petri dish isn't canceled this year right? I'm pretty sure everyone gets sick at that thing anyway, COVID or not.

Yeah, that seems incredibly unlikely. I'd guess they're waiting until they are forced, by law, to cancel for contract reasons.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Yeah, that seems incredibly unlikely. I'd guess they're waiting until they are forced, by law, to cancel for contract reasons.
    Yeah, supposedly if they cancel themselves, they're on the hook for everything, but if the government tells them to cancel, they're able to get it of some liability

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

I mean, chinstrapping or going fighter-pilot style* are kind of the two main methods I've seen

Miss-Mass.jpg

@SniperGuy Don't do the chinstrapping thing. It infects the inside of the mask with whatever is on your chin/neck. I'd probably to remove it, fold it in half so that the interior (the part facing your mouth is clamshelled inside), and place it inside its own container or bag. Ideally, of course, you'd get a new mask, but I think it's reasonable to just remove the mask during lunch if you have your own lunch space and put it back on afterwards.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

A provincial mask order went into place on the weekend; we now need to wear masks while in stores.

I went to a Sobey's today, and to my surprise and delight 100% of the people there were masked.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
This discussion has been closed.