As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread can't open until schools do.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    There are currently "no plans" to delay or cancel New York Comic Con. I just went to their site on a whim because I read something about it and I'm like no way that petri dish isn't canceled this year right? I'm pretty sure everyone gets sick at that thing anyway, COVID or not.

Nope. Still supposedly happening.

What a bunch of fucking goobers.

Yeah, that seems incredibly unlikely. I'd guess they're waiting until they are forced, by law, to cancel for contract reasons.
    Yeah, supposedly if they cancel themselves, they're on the hook for everything, but if the government tells them to cancel, they're able to get it of some liability

That was the deal with SXSW, wouldn't surprise me if NYCC is waiting on officials to shut them down.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I think people here are under the mistaken impression that wearing a cloth mask is for your own protection. Unless you are wearing an N95 mask, the mask will not prevent virus particles or micrometer sized water particles from being breathed in. What a cloth mask does is stop someone who is infected from spreading the virus through larger droplets of saliva as they breathe and cough/sneeze. The reason we are all being forced to wear a mask is because someone who is infected doesn't know it until well after they've probably already passed it on to at least one other person, and we can't trust that those that are actually symptomatic will wear a mask voluntarily. If you are not infected, it is best to take the precautions that you would take if you were maskless as you go about your day (If you are infected STAY THE FUCK HOME). If you are in an enclosed space like a break room or someone else's home do not linger, unless the HVAC system is specifically designed to push air to the ground and/or completely replace the air within the room within a small timeframe.

Edit: This isn't to say a cloth mask offers zero protection, but on a scale of 1 to 100, it's about a 5, maybe 10 at best, per layer of fabric.

Veevee on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

Trump is incapable of not bringing something up or not getting into a fight with his people over the most minor stuff no matter how many times people explain why he shouldn't, but it is kind of really harmful during a pandemic.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    I think people here are under the mistaken impression that wearing a cloth mask is for your own protection. Unless you are wearing an N95 mask, the mask will not prevent virus particles or micrometer sized water particles from being breathed in. What a cloth mask does is stop someone who is infected from spreading the virus through larger droplets of saliva as they breathe and cough/sneeze. The reason we are all being forced to wear a mask is because someone who is infected doesn't know it until well after they've probably already passed it on to at least one other person, and we can't trust that those that are actually symptomatic will wear a mask voluntarily. If you are not infected, it is best to take the precautions that you would take if you were maskless as you go about your day (If you are infected STAY THE FUCK HOME). If you are in an enclosed space like a break room or someone else's home do not linger, unless the HVAC system is specifically designed to push air to the ground and/or completely replace the air within the room within a small timeframe.

Edit: This isn't to say a cloth mask offers zero protection, but on a scale of 1 to 100, it's about a 5, maybe 10 at best, per layer of fabric.

maybe i just don't understand the science, but if masks are only increasing protection by 5% (or say 15% for triple layers), then why have they been so effective at reducing the rate of infection in every country that adopts widespread mask usage? if a mask will not prevent virus particles from being breathed in, why would they prevent them from being breathed out?

my gut feeling (not based on science) is that masks do protect the wearer and are likely to prevent virus particles from going through. it's just that they aren't 100% effective. but perfect is not the enemy of good. i would think that wearing a mask provides a lot more protection than nothing. if we had to put numbers on it, which i don't think we should, but if we absolutely had to, shouldn't it be closer to like 75% or 80% protection?

again, this is just based on global infection rates and anecdotal news evidence (for example, that hairdresser that tested positive but did not transmit to even one of his 120 clients because they were all wearing masks).

i would love to understand the science here and why people keep insisting that masks don't really protect the wearer.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It's not that masks prevent the particles from being breathed out, it's that the particles smack into the mask and slow down, reducing the spread of infectious material. Or are blown around the mask instead of straight forward, same idea. Most of the spread reduction comes from preventing people who are infected but unaware or out anyway from spreading as much.

The reason a cloth mask doesn't provide as much protection going in is you're actively drawing air toward your face. Most of it is going to go around the edges. And cloth masks don't filter much anyway. Still better than nothing, probably still closer to 50% than 5, but not as effective.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    We now have an 8pm curfew in our area, basically because the government looked at the statistics and realized that most transmissions at the moment are "community transmissions" i.e, its happening in people's homes rather than in gyms and cafes.

Which I'm all in favor of if it makes it easier for the authorities to spot the shit-heads still not following the rules, but I certainly didn't have "mandatory curfew, enforced by the actual goddamn army" on my 2020 bingo card.

Wait you have open gyms and a military curfew?

How are they demonstrating that people are definitely transmitting this at a bunch of 9PM house parties and not the gym or cafe?

Curfew is pretty awful, and really fucks over people with no home to return to. I feel like at a minimum no indoor intense breathing spaces is a step before it.

I don't think they have open gyms any more.
    It's now one hour of exercise within 5km of their house.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Ketherial wrote: »
    maybe i just don't understand the science, but if masks are only increasing protection by 5% (or say 15% for triple layers), then why have they been so effective at reducing the rate of infection in every country that adopts widespread mask usage? if a mask will not prevent virus particles from being breathed in, why would they prevent them from being breathed out?

Physics. When air hits a mask it slows down. Particulates in the air then fall to the ground instead of dispersing.

When you breathe in through a mask the volume in must be the same as if you were not wearing a mask. And if the volume in is the same then the air that you breathe in is largely the same. Air just flows around the mask. Making the mask a better filter does little unless it’s also air tight because the inhalation will bring air via the least resistance (the holes in the mask and not the filter)

So if there is virus in the air due to particulate spray then the mask won’t stop you from breathing it in. But the mask will prevent particulate spray from being in the air from an infected person exhaling it.

Think of it like exhaling into a tube that goes to your feet and inhaling normally. The virus isn’t lighter than air it’s just not heavy enough to fall really fast. So if you exhale into a tube that goes to your feet only people sniffing your feet get sick

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Well, my cunt of a boss - after spending all day Friday bloviating over the WI mask mandate. Sent an email at noon today, saying that he had found out just a few hours previously, the he came in contact with someone with covid last saturday(25th). But his wife(a fucking idiot beyond compare) talked to their doctor and they said there is no reason for them to get tested.

Except their son- also a coworker- got tested on Saturday for exposure to this same person. So I don't believe a fucking word out of their mouths on this.

Also would have been great information to share on Saturday, before I went and had dinner with my parents.

ARRRR what a fucking selfish prick.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    CNN reporter:
    Trump, noting flare-ups in foreign countries where the virus had been thought to be under control, claims lockdowns "do not prevent infections in the future," because...the virus "comes back."
    Trump again claims that a vaccine might be available "maybe far in advance of the end of the year." It is already August, and that timeline is much more optimistic than that of Fauci and other experts.
    Trump says he doesn't want people evicted, especially because the virus will spread if they have to go to big shelters. He says that when they're evicted, "it's China's fault."
    Trump is likely to try to bet on an early vaccine over anything remotely sensible despite nobody with any credibility thinking it will be ready that early, and he is already washing his hands of evictions resulting from coronavirus control measures.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It really shouldn't surprise me any more that the president of the USA writes tweets that sound like a child wrote them, but somehow it does every time!

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    My parents and aunt have a “mild cold with intense GI effects.” In Florida. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Decided if I have to keep wearing a mask, I might as well get a Star Wars helmet or something.

Now I have fallen down a deep, deep hole of sci fi helmets.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »
    My parents and aunt have a “mild cold with intense GI effects.” In Florida. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Could be the literal flu. I know everyone has their mind on COVID but there is still the flu going around.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Could be the literal flu. I know everyone has their mind on COVID but there is still the flu going around.

Or it could be salmonella because that's a thing right now, too.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Or it could be salmonella because that's a thing right now, too.

What a time to be alive!

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Trump is incapable of not bringing something up or not getting into a fight with his people over the most minor stuff no matter how many times people explain why he shouldn't, but it is kind of really harmful during a pandemic.

This is more "Trump is incapable of growth or learning". He's still latched on to this same idea. He just shut up about it for awhile but he never stopped believing it.

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Work has given us some company branded cloth masks. They have this cloth pocket where you can stick in some sort of filter, which they also provided some. What are these filters made of? Searching online there's carbon and charcoal filters, along with warnings about being careful about stuff with fiberglass that's bad to breath in. Along with more DIY materials like paper coffee filters or simply using folded up kleenex tissues in put in cloth masks.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    There are currently "no plans" to delay or cancel New York Comic Con. I just went to their site on a whim because I read something about it and I'm like no way that petri dish isn't canceled this year right? I'm pretty sure everyone gets sick at that thing anyway, COVID or not.

Nope. Still supposedly happening.

What a bunch of fucking goobers.

Yeah, that seems incredibly unlikely. I'd guess they're waiting until they are forced, by law, to cancel for contract reasons.
    Yeah, supposedly if they cancel themselves, they're on the hook for everything, but if the government tells them to cancel, they're able to get it of some liability

Thanks @Spoit and @DevoutlyApathetic - that makes more sense.

Not sure how I actually *feel* about that but...

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Masks allow me to brazenly but silently mouth “fuck you” at people doing something risky in public (like grocery shopping without wearing a mask or riding their bike on the sidewalk) while directly looking at them, so masks will forever get a thumbs up from me. Hell, I feel like we should never stop wearing them.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Work has given us some company branded cloth masks. They have this cloth pocket where you can stick in some sort of filter, which they also provided some. What are these filters made of? Searching online there's carbon and charcoal filters, along with warnings about being careful about stuff with fiberglass that's bad to breath in. Along with more DIY materials like paper coffee filters or simply using folded up kleenex tissues in put in cloth masks.

One of the tips going around in March and April was to use AC filters above a certain density (MPR 1250 or something, not sure what it stands for but that's the unit of measurement) and cutting them down to size. Wouldn't be as good as N95 but it'd be pretty darn good. Anything you put in there will be better than nothing, except for fiberglass products which will fuck your lungs up.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have come to the conclusion I can only allow my store to operate if I mandate masks now. I am not in a coronavirus epicentre, but I will prioritise protecting my customers.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Masks allow me to brazenly but silently mouth “fuck you” at people doing something risky in public (like grocery shopping without wearing a mask or riding their bike on the sidewalk) while directly looking at them, so masks will forever get a thumbs up from me. Hell, I feel like we should never stop wearing them.

You're a better person than me. I see another customer going the wrong way down a grocery store aisle and I point to the signs. No mask? I'm now a vampire and you're garlic. I'm polite, to start with, but I will not be quiet about my disapproval of folks who refuse to follow basic human decency.

e: I have, however, simply refused to comment at all on any retail/food service worker wearing their mask improperly or not at all. I just ... they're getting shit on enough already. Maybe they are doing it wrong, but I can just politely avoid them, they're already being treated like crap.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Toronto Comic Con and Indianapolis’ Gencon did the same song and dance. It’s theorized (but I haven’t seen blatant confirmation) that a lot of these contracts carry penalty clauses if they just cancel. But if they’re forced to cancel, a force majeure/act of god clauses might kick in and help them avoid a crippling financial blow.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Pretty much any major convention's contract looks like that, hence why the con management is more or less forced to play chicken with assuming the event is happening, and keeping their staff and press releases in a state of presumptive readiness (including the one I've been volunteer staff for years, but I'm not listing right now so as not to sound like I'm making a statement on their behalf)

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular

Axios is an American political website founded by former Politico staffers.

This interview is absolutely nuts. It's easy to be reminded of the "this goes to 11" scene from "This is Spinal Tap."

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Because it makes me look bad," and there is no greater sin against Trump.

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    I'm sure there is some town out there that has one case and one death. Worst infection ever!

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    That interview is deeply fucking embarrassing

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    That interview is deeply fucking embarrassing

My brain is like... Actively trying to reject it.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Is there a transcript? I really don't want to watch that video.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Is there a transcript? I really don't want to watch that video.

The tweet is basically a transcript, but for 2 minutes of repeating the same dumbness.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Christ, at one point he's flipping the paper all over, I thought he was just gonna present a chart upside down or something.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It is incredibly difficult to watch that video. He’s the classic boss that doesn’t understand what you're describing but by god the schedule says we need to hit this milestone on this date and what do you mean it's literally physically impossible.

• Options
    If I presented data like that fool or used the “logic” he is trying to use, I’d be fired.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    If I presented data like that fool or used the “logic” he is trying to use, I’d be fired.

13 weeks...

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Can.... can I ask if that interview was actually real? That was Trump and not an actor? Because if that was actually Trump, holy fucking shit. That's unbelievable.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Can.... can I ask if that interview was actually real? That was Trump and not an actor? Because if that was actually Trump, holy fucking shit. That's unbelievable.

Trump has been bragging for weeks about acing this really difficult, nearly impossible test which, it turns out, was a test designed to check if someone has signs of Alzheimer's.

It's pretty easy to believe, unfortunately.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I watch that clip and quickly get a clear idea of how this plays out behind closed downs in the White House.

Trump gets fed some bullshit graph which shows America last (or "the best") to make him happy. Said graph is the work of some staffer having to run the data dozens of times to find a way to make American stats look good. Once he has these graphs, Trump then thinks these are THE graphs because he's the President and only gets the best things. He then can't understand why news outlets are reporting America as first (or 'the worst') and.. oh-no Trump twitter rant. Repeat daily.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I watch that clip and quickly get a clear idea of how this plays out behind closed downs in the White House.

Trump gets fed some bullshit graph which shows America last (or "the best") to make him happy. Said graph is the work of some staffer having to run the data dozens of times to find a way to make American stats look good. Once he has these graphs, Trump then thinks these are THE graphs because he's the President and only gets the best things. He then can't understand why news outlets are reporting America as first (or 'the worst') and.. oh-no Trump twitter rant. Repeat daily.

Bet they're not even running any data, just slapping a table into Excel, printing out a graph where one point is much higher or lower than the others, and handing it to Trump while saying "That is us and it is good."

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Shortpacked seems to sum up their whole approach:
    7gqo9yixu8xn.png

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
This discussion has been closed.