As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Flattening it vertically doesn't count, Jason, but good on you to finally notice the last few weeks...

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Ya, those late restrictions last week really flattened things out when it takes 2+ weeks to see any MEANINGFUL effect in the data. What a goose.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Oh goody, it looks like Jason Kenny took time away from destroying Alberta to do a video about how the Great Reset isn’t a conspiracy theory and is something conservatives should be on the lookout for, and how Trudeau was proposing policies for the Great Reset at the UN

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Oh goody, it looks like Jason Kenny took time away from destroying Alberta to do a video about how the Great Reset isn’t a conspiracy theory and is something conservatives should be on the lookout for, and how Trudeau was proposing policies for the Great Reset at the UN

Didn't he just get caught on video, literally days ago, not wearing a mask along with several others in an indoor setting?

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Didn't he just get caught on video, literally days ago, not wearing a mask along with several others in an indoor setting?

Yes, and once again The Beaveton balances on the razor's edge between satire and reality.

Kenney Defends Maskless Meeting Claiming It Wasn't a Workplace Since He Hasn't Done Any Work

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Sounds like Ontario's going full lockdown on Christmas Eve specifically, unless Ford starts another round of the freestyle hundred-meter backpedal soon. That's surely going to go better than that fiasco in the UK last night...

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Speaking of the UK, we just banned air travel from there due to mutant Covid-19

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Until Wednesday, which feels like a bit of an odd decision..

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    How... how is that not “until further notice”?

Yes yes, I’m aware that the UK thread (or a covid thread? They’re all blurring together) has noted that it has also been detected in Europe already as well, but if you’re going to block off travel, why do it for just a few days? Make it a couple of weeks at least, while the UK sorts some shit out (uh, among the dozens of clocks ticking away to doomsday on their mantles, some more figuratively than others).

ffs

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Seriously. The UK (or at least England proper) seems to be trying as hard as the dumber US states to bungle the whole thing, even by the standards of countries handling things terribly. Add to that the fact that the population's response yesterday to their lockdown was a mass decision to spread the virus as enthusiastically as they possibly could and I think it'd be reasonable for travel policies with the UK to boil down to "NOPE" for at least several weeks.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Forar wrote: »

Yes yes, I’m aware that the UK thread (or a covid thread? They’re all blurring together) has noted that it has also been detected in Europe already as well, but if you’re going to block off travel, why do it for just a few days? Make it a couple of weeks at least, while the UK sorts some shit out (uh, among the dozens of clocks ticking away to doomsday on their mantles, some more figuratively than others).

ffs

We're still letting dumbfuck boomer snowbirds fuck off to Florida; our tracking/tracing initiatives are truly abysmal; leadership in most provinces have been a perpetual joke, like what are we expecting at this point? Everyone vaccinated by September 2021? Yeah, those government timetables have totally ever stayed on track.

All this shit has done is remind me that there are likely several fucking huge, horrifying mutations swirling the current health-cesspit of the United States. Wisconsin alone is probably breeding some fucking hyper-active 45% increased fatality shit, and we're just sitting next to it with bated breath.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

ffs

We're still letting dumbfuck boomer snowbirds fuck off to Florida; our tracking/tracing initiatives are truly abysmal; leadership in most provinces have been a perpetual joke, like what are we expecting at this point? Everyone vaccinated by September 2021? Yeah, those government timetables have totally ever stayed on track.

All this shit has done is remind me that there are likely several fucking huge, horrifying mutations swirling the current health-cesspit of the United States. Wisconsin alone is probably breeding some fucking hyper-active 45% increased fatality shit, and we're just sitting next to it with bated breath.

There are really no good avenues for stopping the snowbirds if they really want to go.

Everyone has the right to leave and enter Canada both as a charter right and a generally accepted right under international law

• Options
    I'd mind it less if there was actual enforcement of quarantines, but I find it seriously hard to believe that the kind of person touristing it up in Florida right now is going to do anything other than beeline to the nearest restaurant or church the day they're back in the country.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    When you have enough money you can actually use your rights

No so much for the poor your survival is means tested and couldn't even keep the grocery workers extra pay for a yeah

Only a police state when the wealth are slightly bothered the workers can't do fucking anyrhing

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    So in the interest of catching up with Alberta's per-capita case numbers, Ford switched the Ontario lockdown from Christmas Eve to Boxing Day, thus encouraging the maximum possible spread in the next two weeks.

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    The Rebel apparently needs to raise $380,000 after a loan was called in.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer group.

Lost Canuck on
    QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    moo-hoo-ha-ha

Sadly they'll probably make it and then some because they are nothing if not expert grifters.

• Options
    I enjoy their shock and astonishment at the fact that they actually have to repay loans eventually.

• Options
    Sometimes, looking at the US and UK threads, I feel like grandpa’s got dementia and our big brother is on meth.

We have some bad premiers and things aren’t perfect at a federal level but damn, we could have a lot worse national leadership.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Like, at the rate things have been going, it honestly seems inevitable to me, just like four to eight years out. Look how close we got to Max and how he turned out. The right is absolutely frothing to elect cult personalities who will stick it to big government / own the libs, and enough people are political pendulums that were going to keep seeing the CPC elected no matter how bad the candidate.
    I guess just hope maybe a little bit changes by the time it happens? <_<

• Options
    Sure Bernier almost won the Cpc leadership but would he have had a chance of becoming PM? I don’t know, frankly, there’s a lot of anti francophone bias in western Canada that might have depressed votes for him.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    banks don't randomly call you and say they suddenly decided they need their money back

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    Sure Bernier almost won the Cpc leadership but would he have had a chance of becoming PM? I don’t know, frankly, there’s a lot of anti francophone bias in western Canada that might have depressed votes for him.

Hate > Bias

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    banks don't randomly call you and say they suddenly decided they need their money back
    ... I have a few phone calls to make, then.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Seems like a fundraising ploy to separate some suckers from their money more than anything

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Gosh, I bothered to read that cry for help and boy is there some choice text in there.
    Like ... we go from:
    Now, along the way, my friend who loaned us the money ran into a change of circumstances himself. And he had to sell our loan to a banker — who doesn’t know us, who isn’t a supporter. He’s not a bad guy — he’s just a banker who wants his money back. And under the terms of the contract, he can ask for it back. He doesn’t actually have to renew the loan. And now he is calling in the loan.
    to
    If I were with 99% of the media in Canada, I’d just call up Justin Trudeau, and sign up for his media bail-out. But I’m not a prostitute. I won’t let him buy me. I’d have to agree to be a good Liberal boy, and stop criticizing him. I'd be like the CBC: I’d rather go out of business than take taxpayer money from Trudeau.
    and I'm pretty sure I have light whiplash from the shift in cadence. :P

The comments are also interesting (once you get past all the technical issues ones), because boy do people want to threaten bankers on their behalf and not understand how loans work.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Like, at the rate things have been going, it honestly seems inevitable to me, just like four to eight years out. Look how close we got to Max and how he turned out. The right is absolutely frothing to elect cult personalities who will stick it to big government / own the libs, and enough people are political pendulums that were going to keep seeing the CPC elected no matter how bad the candidate.

I am hardly the most educated on Canadian politics (what with me being ineligible to participate in them for at least two and a half more years), but the general feel I've had has definitely reminded me of pre-Trump America in a somewhat concerning way.

Which, I swear to god if it happens again...

(though the charter and courts seem to be more resistant to the specific events that made me leave the US, so that's cool)

• Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

I am hardly the most educated on Canadian politics (what with me being ineligible to participate in them for at least two and a half more years), but the general feel I've had has definitely reminded me of pre-Trump America in a somewhat concerning way.

(though the charter and courts seem to be more resistant to the specific events that made me leave the US, so that's cool)

Canadians don't hate each other with the fervor that Americans do IMO.... And we don;t have free speech here keeping the worst of the crazies at bay

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »

Canadians don't hate each other with the fervor that Americans do IMO.... And we don;t have free speech here keeping the worst of the crazies at bay

It helps that we don’t have the 50 (meth) labs of democracy with each cooking up new ways to tamper with the vote. Also with fewer provinces and territories it makes it easier to look over your neighbours shoulder and call out their shit.

Even then we get some nutters, and the slimier ones like Harper who abused rules and procedures as deftly as Mitch McConnell / Newt Gingrich.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The future of federal politics is gonna be the same as what happened in Ontario. At some point, next election or 1 or 2 after that I'd guess, the electorate will become tired of Liberal control and decide it's time to "give the other guys a chance" again. And "the other guys" always means the Conservatives. And whoever ends up randomly sitting in the CPC leadership chair when that happens gets to be PM.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

ffs

There are really no good avenues for stopping the snowbirds if they really want to go.

Everyone has the right to leave and enter Canada both as a charter right and a generally accepted right under international law

I’m in a two week lockdown in northern Ontario, so my charter rights have already been restricted.

We shouldn’t be letting these assholes come and go during a global crisis they clearly don’t care about.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/premier-s-office-calls-ottawa-mayor-reckless-and-irresponsible-for-opposing-lockdown-1.5241594

Jim Watson condemned the lockdown, saying that Ottawa had consistent low numbers and didn't need to be locked down

Ford is accusing him of gross irresponsibility and not caring if body bags stack up

Ottawa probably didn't need to lock down yet, not as bad as the GTA, but both of these men are coming off as disingenuous to me. Restrictions should have come down before Christmas if they are going to be implemented.

I feel like the province should have locked down preventively at the start of December, knowing that Christmas would be a shitshow, if they intended to let Christmas happen with no lockdowns and gatherings with multiple households. The disease isn't going to magically go away without public health measures and restrictions being established!

There is an astonishing reluctance to take preventive action. They only want to react, and their motivated reasoning seems to control every reaction.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

ffs

I’m in a two week lockdown in northern Ontario, so my charter rights have already been restricted.

We shouldn’t be letting these assholes come and go during a global crisis they clearly don’t care about.

(IANAL) A blanket ban on travel would likely fail the proportionality test, when the alternative that has been used in many jurisdictions, including Canada, is mandatory quarantine on re-entry.

Characters
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I mean this just ignores the notwithstanding clause though

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/mobile/premier-s-office-calls-ottawa-mayor-reckless-and-irresponsible-for-opposing-lockdown-1.5241594

Jim Watson condemned the lockdown, saying that Ottawa had consistent low numbers and didn't need to be locked down

Ford is accusing him of gross irresponsibility and not caring if body bags stack up

Ottawa probably didn't need to lock down yet, not as bad as the GTA, but both of these men are coming off as disingenuous to me. Restrictions should have come down before Christmas if they are going to be implemented.

I feel like the province should have locked down preventively at the start of December, knowing that Christmas would be a shitshow, if they intended to let Christmas happen with no lockdowns and gatherings with multiple households. The disease isn't going to magically go away without public health measures and restrictions being established!

There is an astonishing reluctance to take preventive action. They only want to react, and their motivated reasoning seems to control every reaction.

Province should have locked down in like, October, because these numbers were all pretty predictable; however, Ford's very much into paying back his donors with favourable policy, so he held out because he only ever strategized for the short term and his friends in development and big business needed more cash

Now we're at the point where 300 people in the ICU is a realistic possibility in the next month, and we might have to prioritize care, and he's.....blaming the feds for letting planes fly in?

Ottawa's doing decently, but I think this is a pretty barefaced political play by Watson. He's a pure centrist who will only act when something is as uncontroversial and agreed-upon as possible, and hams it up whenever he can for the spotlight. I think this is very much in line with his usual MO of saying a thing that will be popular (especially with the small business base) but not needing to actually do anything about it.

If anything I'm disappointed in Etches for this. Ottawa is averaging 40 cases a day, and we were the covid capital of the country a few short months ago. We should be pretty aware of how easily we could break that bad again, especially with Christmas. If a lockdown lets us get back to 7-13 cases a day max and being able to contact trace reliably, it should probably be a priority?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    KetBra wrote: »
    I mean this just ignores the notwithstanding clause though

Mobility Rights are section 6 rights. The Notwithstanding Clause can only be used against section 2, or sections 7-15 rights. So it cannot be invoked to restrict mobility rights, alongside language rights which are sections 16-23, and democratic rights (the right to vote) in sections 3-5.

Edit: So, you'd have to restrict it under a section 1 justification, which would tie back to having to argue your ban is proportional.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    Over 25,000 people have had their first dose of the vaccine now.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html

• Options
    I heard over the radio Thunder Bay got an early shipment of the vaccine. Woo, Northern Ontario.

Characters
  • Options
    FrostwoodFrostwood Registered User regular
    The vaccine rollout in Ontario has been a complete disaster. Our Home got assigned 27 doses of the vaccine, which most of the staff signed up for.

However, once the staff said yes, it was revealed that they would have to go to RVH to get the vaccine(another city), and provide driver's license or similar ID.

The problem is most workers as minimum wage workers and a fair bit don't have a car or id, so they had to reject the vaccine doses even if they wanted to. I'm the only one getting vaccinated out of 20 staff(compared to 90% saying yes before)(in our department), because of these rules.

Most people thought it would be done at our local hospital.

I don't drive so I'll have to try to find a ride.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Vaccinations are currently only being distributed at central sites around the country. Unless your local hospital is one of the 14 sites you'll have to travel. That's not actually ontario's fault

This discussion has been closed.