As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    That giant wall at Gold's gym where all the loud grunty guys stare at themselves.

Nope. Can't grunt loudly without breathing!

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    As I lay in bed at the Rockyview and see the awesome work that the nurses do here, it makes me mad when the UCP just continues to cut funding etc to healthcare. Surgery went well but I get to chill her likely til Sunday.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    (Awesoming the smooth surgery, not the funding cuts.)

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Tragic news.... the only game I brought for my 3DSXL was the Japanese version of DQV that I had bought in Japan back in 2008. Siiigh

Might as well read news online on what else the shit UCP are doing

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    Tragic news.... the only game I brought for my 3DSXL was the Japanese version of DQV that I had bought in Japan back in 2008. Siiigh

Might as well read news online on what else the shit UCP are doing

perfect time to start learning japanese via in-game text! think of it as a challenging mini-game

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    So we previously had a max of about 60 active cases at our peak during the entire pandemic, tending to trend down to less than 30.

In the last two weeks, we are now at 173 active cases and climbing, in part because of 5 school & 2 high school outbreaks. Ontario's moved us back into the Red category, though I could see us locking down again as this is the worst it's ever been.

Just a downright stellar job of school re-opening all around everyone.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Those kooks from AB are headed back to court. Not the Oil and Gas ones, the my kid doesn't need any medical doctor to cure his meningitis when we have essential oils kooks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/david-collet-stephan-appeal-decision-toddler-1.5941209

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    uuuuuuuuuuugh

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The judge who acquitted seems kinda racist

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Seriously. Also this is ridiculous
    But after the second trial, Clackson agreed with the defense's medical expert who said the boy died from a lack of oxygen in the ambulance.

It's sort of like trying to claim "the shot didn't kill him blood loss did" and the judge buys it?!

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    TECHNICALLY CORRECT.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

But after the second trial, Clackson agreed with the defense's medical expert who said the boy died from a lack of oxygen in the ambulance.

It's sort of like trying to claim "the shot didn't kill him blood loss did" and the judge buys it?!

Hey, a fall has never killed anyone.... Just the landing.

I hate these kooks so much

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

More like "black immigrant MD says the shot killed him, but white shooter says it was the blood loss that did".

sig.gif
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

I’m sure there was plenty of oxygen in the ambulance, sounds like a problem with the boys lungs not being able to take it in /process it. Perhaps due to some sort of illness like meningitis.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    It sounds like the judge had a very hard time understanding what the doctor was saying due his thick accent and then took that frustration out on the prosecution. It may be racist, but it could also just be the judge being a goose. If he's having a hard time hearing the witness, that should be dealt with during the testimony, not in the verdict.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

HuffPost Canada and Quebec are closing, several weeks after we were bought by BuzzFeed. Monday is my last day of work.

I'm pretty emotional right now, because I've loved my job so much. Thank you to everyone who's let me share their story — it's meant a lot to me.

Layoffs hitting HuffPost today, weeks after it was acquired by BuzzFeed:
    - 47 staffers in the US
    - exec editor Hillary Frey and international exec editor Louise Roug have decided to leave
    - closing HuffPost Canada
    - consultations on slimming down UK/ Aus

Today, we learned that 33 of our unit members — nearly 30% of our unit — are being laid off. Our union's statement: "We are devastated and infuriated, particularly after an exhausting year of covering a pandemic and working from home." (1/x)

So - there goes another source of Canadian journalism.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

HuffPost Canada and Quebec are closing, several weeks after we were bought by BuzzFeed. Monday is my last day of work.

I'm pretty emotional right now, because I've loved my job so much. Thank you to everyone who's let me share their story — it's meant a lot to me.

Layoffs hitting HuffPost today, weeks after it was acquired by BuzzFeed:
    - 47 staffers in the US
    - exec editor Hillary Frey and international exec editor Louise Roug have decided to leave
    - closing HuffPost Canada
    - consultations on slimming down UK/ Aus

Today, we learned that 33 of our unit members — nearly 30% of our unit — are being laid off. Our union's statement: "We are devastated and infuriated, particularly after an exhausting year of covering a pandemic and working from home." (1/x)

So - there goes another source of Canadian journalism.

Not much money to be made in that field, unfortunately.

I support a few local independent folks here in Alberta such as The Sprawl

https://www.sprawlcalgary.com/

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited March 2021
    So I don't know if people are following what's going on in Ontario these days?

But basically Ford is ramming through legislation that retroactively makes it harder for municipalities to oppose zoning orders, for example, when it will cause environmental damage. Basically the province can issue MZO (municipal zoning orders), that can be resisted by local municipalities on a number of different grounds. The legislation makes it basically impossible to do so.

At the same time, the government then issued a number of MZOs, at least one of which allows developers to literally pave over some of Ontario's protected wetlands. Hey, also it turns out several parcels of our wetlands happened to be owned by some of Ford's buddies and donors!

Oh and then there's this little tidbit:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-duffins-creek-wetland-pickering-ajax-warehouse-amazon-1.5942938

The short version is this. There are two parcels of land, one in Ajax (on the East side) and one in Pickering (on the West side). Some big ecommerce company (Probably Amazon) wants to build a distribution centre, and is fielding bids on one of these two sites. The

Ajax site is already approved for development as it's setback from the creek and doesn't require paving over existing wetlands.

The Pickering site is not approved for development by the municipalities as it would require paving over a bunch of existing wetland and would be very damaging to the local environment. The Toronto Region Conservation Authority is opposed to development on this site as it would cause a ton of damage. The new Ford law means the municipality is forced to rezone (per the MZO) by Friday, and wouldn't allow anyone to object or opposed.

So why would Ford be ramming through legislation, and MZOs to allow Amazon to pave over protected wetlands when there's an available parcel of land juuuuust a few hundred meters to the east?

Guess which one of those parcels of lands is owned by a Ford buddy/donor?

Edit: I'm sure there are errors in my summary but that's wide angle picture.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So it sounds like the Manitoban Reservist that assaulted Rideau hall with his armoury has been sentenced to 5 years with 1 year for time served, and has also been banned from owning firearms or ammunition in Canada for life.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    So it sounds like the Manitoban Reservist that assaulted Rideau hall with his armoury has been sentenced to 5 years with 1 year for time served, and has also been banned from owning firearms or ammunition in Canada for life.

now if we could just expand that to all Canadians that'd be great

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

But basically Ford is ramming through legislation that retroactively makes it harder for municipalities to oppose zoning orders, for example, when it will cause environmental damage. Basically the province can issue MZO (municipal zoning orders), that can be resisted by local municipalities on a number of different grounds. The legislation makes it basically impossible to do so.

At the same time, the government then issued a number of MZOs, at least one of which allows developers to literally pave over some of Ontario's protected wetlands. Hey, also it turns out several parcels of our wetlands happened to be owned by some of Ford's buddies and donors!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-duffins-creek-wetland-pickering-ajax-warehouse-amazon-1.5942938

The short version is this. There are two parcels of land, one in Ajax (on the East side) and one in Pickering (on the West side). Some big ecommerce company (Probably Amazon) wants to build a distribution centre, and is fielding bids on one of these two sites. The

Ajax site is already approved for development as it's setback from the creek and doesn't require paving over existing wetlands.

The Pickering site is not approved for development by the municipalities as it would require paving over a bunch of existing wetland and would be very damaging to the local environment. The Toronto Region Conservation Authority is opposed to development on this site as it would cause a ton of damage. The new Ford law means the municipality is forced to rezone (per the MZO) by Friday, and wouldn't allow anyone to object or opposed.

So why would Ford be ramming through legislation, and MZOs to allow Amazon to pave over protected wetlands when there's an available parcel of land juuuuust a few hundred meters to the east?

I think that the proper procedure in that case is for the municipality to put a law in their books saying that if they're forced to rezone by the provincial government, then municipal taxes on that land are ONE BILLION DOLLARS and also that the municipality reserves the right use eminent domain rights on anything built in that zone and fuck you, we won't compensate you.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

I think that the proper procedure in that case is for the municipality to put a law in their books saying that if they're forced to rezone by the provincial government, then municipal taxes on that land are ONE BILLION DOLLARS and also that the municipality reserves the right use eminent domain rights on anything built in that zone and fuck you, we won't compensate you.

Municipalities don't have unlimited power to arbitrarily tax and seize, and are subordinate to the province in any event.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Yeah, constitutionally speaking in Canada "municipal government" translates to "whatever the individual provinces feel like allowing at any given point in time." If a municipality has a disagreement with a province on something that means they lose.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

They can still make the process onerous for Ford and the Cons - enough to potentially tie things up long enough to get a new government.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That is sadly, provably not true. If they could, Toronto would still have 47 wards while court cases were pending. But instead, we have 25, and we're hoping to make a nuisance of ourselves after the fact.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Yeah, municipalities are creatures of the provinces.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Current speculation is that certain migratory birds tend to arrive in those wetlands in late March each year. If the birds are there and laying eggs, the province loses the power to pave over the wetlands as those birds are protected by the federal government. Which is why the push to start paving over it is happening so aggressively right now.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Just as a heads up, but the CRA has announced that it will be locking 800,000 more online accounts tomorrow.

I like finding out about these things in the media first. Yup, sure do.

Characters
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    CBC is reporting that Amazon has already decided, "No, we won't be building on that site, because we had many sites to pick from and, uh, environment I guess" which...I mean, the Fords are gonna try it anyway, because they're sitting on prime land and also the cruelty is the point, but they might have a harder time without King Shit of Online Retail Mountain backing them up.

• Options
    The energy war room has declared war on a children's cartoon. Delicious!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/canadian-energy-centre-bigfoot-1.5948163

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »

In a letter sent to subscribers to CEC's email list on Thursday, the centre said Bigfoot Family was "full of lies and misinformation." It pointed to one scene in which oil is extracted by blowing up a valley using "glowing red bombs."

I worry about their grasp on reality.

Characters
  • Options
    Shadowen wrote: »
    CBC is reporting that Amazon has already decided, "No, we won't be building on that site, because we had many sites to pick from and, uh, environment I guess" which...I mean, the Fords are gonna try it anyway, because they're sitting on prime land and also the cruelty is the point, but they might have a harder time without King Shit of Online Retail Mountain backing them up.

The MZO still went through. They can start paving over the Wetland today, they'll just have to find another buyer.

:(

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Nosf wrote: »

In a letter sent to subscribers to CEC's email list on Thursday, the centre said Bigfoot Family was "full of lies and misinformation." It pointed to one scene in which oil is extracted by blowing up a valley using "glowing red bombs."

I worry about their grasp on reality.

About that...

Andrew leach is an economist at the u of a

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    To be fair, there was that stretch of the mid-late 1960s where people figured the solution to any large engineering problem might include "but what if we nuke it?"

Project Plowshare and related schemes were kind of wild.

• Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    Just as a heads up, but the CRA has announced that it will be locking 800,000 more online accounts tomorrow.

I like finding out about these things in the media first. Yup, sure do.

Aye, got an email about mine being locked this morning.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CorporateGoonCorporateGoon Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    To be fair, there was that stretch of the mid-late 1960s where people figured the solution to any large engineering problem might include "but what if we nuke it?"

Project Plowshare and related schemes were kind of wild.

But has anyone gone back and revisited this? Would it be more environmentally friendly than what they're currently doing to nuke Northern Alberta?

• Options
    Hey, it's probably better for the planet than cryptocurrency right now at least.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hmm no one wants our oil, what if we make it radioactive? .

:so_raven:
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Hmm no one wants our oil, what if we make it radioactive? .

Then put it in vehicles and have them emit radioactive exhaust! Surely nothing bad could come of this.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.