As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Here's a Twitter thread from about the demise of MEC. It sounds pretty crappy though I'm sure this is a highly simplified and biased version but definitely seems possible.

The change in focus that people complain about seems to predate the specific rule changes in 2013. It seems like something started happening with management around like 2010-2011. Or at least started to manifest then.

The wiki also suggests a really rapid turnaround from profitability to losing money in 2018->2019.

Seems like an interesting story some reporter should dig into going on there.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    They did open up a bunch of new stores in the past couple years, maybe not profitable?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So I saw a news story last night that the owners of U-Line (Republican mega donors) were given waivers by the Canadian government to cross the border in their private plane, so that they could hold in person meetings at their Ontario facility, without having to go into quarantine first.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    So I saw a news story last night that the owners of U-Line (Republican mega donors) were given waivers by the Canadian government to cross the border in their private plane, so that they could hold in person meetings at their Ontario facility, without having to go into quarantine first.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/billionaire-covid-quarantine-exemption-1.5726050

Sounds like a lower-level issue worth investigating, since apparently they didn't get the actual, correct approval. Probably enough to evade any actual liability but - 100% a dick move since they should have known better than to ask for a bullshit reason.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/billionaire-covid-quarantine-exemption-1.5726050

Sounds like a lower-level issue worth investigating, since apparently they didn't get the actual, correct approval. Probably enough to evade any actual liability but - 100% a dick move since they should have known better than to ask for a bullshit reason.

A republican skirting the law and using technicalities so that they can get away with it?

I'm shocked ....

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet tests positive for COVID-19

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/blanchet-covid19-positive-bloc-quebecois-1.5729630?fbclid=IwAR2Fo8BCCY3gwsGgSgY4rUeTNW28xlWXbVASKxnnNGBFnUmpj9zMgbA4bHY

A notice from the party said Blanchet is doing "perfectly well" but will follow Quebec public health instructions and remain in isolation at his residence in Shawinigan until September 26.

Blanchet went into isolation alongside his wife, Nancy Déziel, after she tested positive for COVID-19.

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole and his family have been tested for COVID-19 after one of his staff members received a positive diagnosis.

Hope everyone is ok but only after they feel, personally, how serious this can be for people in the country.

• Options

Give us our money back you bastards! /S

Being a "Have-not" province is mentally breaking the UCP so that's nice.

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

Give us our money back you bastards! /S

Being a "Have-not" province is mentally breaking the UCP so that's nice.

Hmmm didn't they dish out around that much to Oil and Gas Companies....

Also in UCP shit . The lovely Sunshine list that they have been threatening physicians with. Here are the specifics of what will be disclosed.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/58a224a2-0fed-4b1e-b8d5-9f6cf70450c6/resource/847f8445-44f2-4026-8305-c94131030bc3/download/health-ahcip-bulletin-med-235-physician-payment-disclosure.pdf

What will be disclosed?

 Total Fee for Service (FFS) payments made in respect of a physician at the date of disclosure for
    insured medical services provided within the reporting period to Alberta residents.
    Of course this isn't a representation of what doctors actual take home is, doesn't show all the expenses they pay for licenses, insurance, overhead, staff, equipment etc etc.
    As well physicians receive no sick days, no vacation days and no benefits from their job.

 First, middle and last name of the physician in respect of whom the payment for insured medical
    service(s) was made within the reporting period, as of the date of the most recent fiscal year’s
    disclosure.
     City or town of the facility/location where the physician provided the most insured medical service(s)
    within the reporting period.
    The first part is fairly normal with sunshine lists, but paired with the second one it makes things a little sketchy. Don't like how much money a doc is making and you want to stick it to them.. or maybe you are an international doctor and your relatives back home happen to live in a place where ransoming is common...(that is a thing that has happened) maybe you have an ex that you don't want to know where you work or how much you make... well too fucking bad

 Branch of medical practice (i.e. primary specialty) under which the physician received the most FFS
    payments for insured medical service(s) provided within the reporting period.

Number of discrete patients, excluding repeat visits by those patients, a physician provided insured
    medical services to, and in respect of which FFS payments were made, within the reporting period.

This one is shit for GP, Psychiatrist and other specialties where they see the same patients or deal with chronic illness, or inpatient situations. You see the same people over and over again. A GP only has so many people in their practice for example but they are only counted once. Easy to point at those people and say, look they are only helping X many people yet make X, they must be lazy.

 Number of days within the reporting period on which a physician provided at least one insured
    medical service in respect of which a FFS payment was made

There is rules for asking for getting exceptions from the list but it boils down to are you in immediate danger from this information being released.. if so prove it.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I guess they don't want to have doctors in Alberta anymore?

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Alberta's broke? Try a sales tax you wannabee republicans!

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    So apparently Maxime Bernier will be running in the upcoming York Centre byelection.

In Toronto.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Bloc Québécois Leader Yves-François Blanchet tests positive for COVID-19

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/blanchet-covid19-positive-bloc-quebecois-1.5729630?fbclid=IwAR2Fo8BCCY3gwsGgSgY4rUeTNW28xlWXbVASKxnnNGBFnUmpj9zMgbA4bHY

A notice from the party said Blanchet is doing "perfectly well" but will follow Quebec public health instructions and remain in isolation at his residence in Shawinigan until September 26.

Blanchet went into isolation alongside his wife, Nancy Déziel, after she tested positive for COVID-19.

Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole and his family have been tested for COVID-19 after one of his staff members received a positive diagnosis.

Hope everyone is ok but only after they feel, personally, how serious this can be for people in the country.

O'Toole has it now too.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    "Jagmeet Singh, the only major party leader to definitely not have had COVID-19".

Also, on Kenney asking for equalization payments.
    *Chef's kiss*
    I can't tell you how happy I am to see this day. Don't get me wrong, I'm rooting for the people of Alberta to turn this around. But I'm going to savor the Alberta conservatives tasting what it feels like to be in that position for a change.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Also, after ping-ponging a bit, Nova Scotia got back down to 0 active known cases of COVID today. The Atlantic Bubble has a total of four active cases.

I'm currently visiting a friend in Quebec. I did so, despite my best judgment. I'm feeling ... conflicted to say the least at the moment. (We've all been following all of the proper protocols, don't worry). I'll be home soon. Even with the 14 days of quarantine (Which I will absolutely observe), it'll be good to be back.

That said, I won't miss being there for Hurricane Teddy. The absolute best of luck to my fellow Atlantic Canadians there. I remember being there during Dorian and Juan. Hopefully this is a bit lighter. Either way, I'll be home in a bit.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So apparently Maxime Bernier will be running in the upcoming York Centre byelection.

In Toronto.

That's got to be Beaverton, right?

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    more news of people trying to infringe on first Nations rights

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/nova-scotia-first-nation-launches-lobster-fleet-amid-tension-on-the-water-1.5108680

NS just had some cons get into power right, probs gonna get extra faschy and Canadians are pretty primed for it since we feel so entitled to this country

icGJy2C.png
  • Options

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/nova-scotia-first-nation-launches-lobster-fleet-amid-tension-on-the-water-1.5108680

NS just had some cons get into power right, probs gonna get extra faschy and Canadians are pretty primed for it since we feel so entitled to this country

Reading that, this mostly seems to be a question of what the Sipekne'katik's conservation plan is. Which seems to be something they negotiate with the federal government rather then the provincial one.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

You're thinking New Brunswick - the premier demanded there be no election-forcing measures (i.e., unquestioning support from opposition parties) until a covid cure was deployed, and when they refused immediately called one anyway.

NS has had a conservative government for awhile, but they've been cleverly concealing themselves by wearing another party's livery the whole time.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

hahahahahaha

Oh wait, he's serious? Let me laugh harder.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Reading that, this mostly seems to be a question of what the Sipekne'katik's conservation plan is. Which seems to be something they negotiate with the federal government rather then the provincial one.

Well they did sign a treaty that lets them fish at will then, we settlers stole the management of the fishiers and proceeded to run them into the ground cause profits > sustainability, they don't need to renegotiate to uh exercise their rights!

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I don't really like this headline since it seems to push most of the initial narrative wrongdoing to the officials that the Ethics Commissioner is ordering not to have dealings with MacNaughton, when MacNaughton is the one that was found to be contravening his post-employment ethics obligations.
    While the offers did not result in any contracts being awarded to Palantir, the former ambassador to the U.S. "has acknowledged, with the benefit of hindsight, that these communications and meetings, to the extent they could have furthered the interests of Palantir, were contrary to [the act]," Dion wrote in his findings.

Really? It requires hindsight to realize that offering pro-bono services to nearly a dozen high-ranking members of government, to position the company you're lobbying for at the forefront of their minds, might unduly benefit your company? Who could have possibly forseen this.

But I would like it if I could turn my head and not fucking see some kind of ethics investigation regarding current or former officials.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options

Well they did sign a treaty that lets them fish at will then, we settlers stole the management of the fishiers and proceeded to run them into the ground cause profits > sustainability, they don't need to renegotiate to uh exercise their rights!

I know nothing about this and can say that this seems pretty cut and dried...

• Options
    Corvus wrote: »
    Alberta's broke? Try a sales tax you wannabee republicans!

Kenney literally ran on a platform of "The NDP will enact a sales tax if elected"

This would be much sweeter if he was not shredding every social program and performing a witch hunt on the medical profession as we speak.

• Options
    edited September 2020

That's not quite what your link says:
    It was on Sept. 17, 1999 that the Supreme Court of Canada decided Marshall had a treaty right to fish for eels when and where he wanted -- without a licence.

The Marshall decision also said the Mi'kmaq, Maliseet and Passamaquoddy bands in Eastern Canada could hunt, fish and gather to earn a "moderate livelihood," though the court followed up with a clarification two months later, saying the treaty right was subject to federal regulation.

So specifically while the First Nations groups (I assume the decision was general and not just specific to those 3 mentioned) can fish without a license, it's for the purpose of earning a "moderate livelihood" and still subject to federal regulation.

The contention is based around that second important point:
    That additional ruling is at the crux of the argument being made by non-Indigenous fishermen, who say First Nations must abide by Ottawa's conservation measures.

Which the band in question then acknowledges:
    Michael Sack said his First Nation has spent years drafting its lobster fishing management plan, which has its own set of conservation regulations.

"We have compliance officers and we're going to regulate our own fisheries," he told reporters as traps were loaded onto three fishing boats. "We're not outside of any season. We don't have a season."

The chief said the band's management plan has been submitted to the federal Fisheries Department for approval.
    They say they have their own plan and it's been submitted to the federal government, who we've already established have a say in the matter via court decision.

They are saying though that Ottawa is slow rolling them:
    [Federal Fisheries Minister Bernadette Jordan] said Ottawa is working with First Nations to establish agreements, but Indigenous leaders in Nova Scotia have said that process is taking too long.

Jordan said the talks will continue, and implementing the Marshall decision is a priority of the her government.
    Bruce Wildsmith, the lawyer who represented Marshall in 1999, said while it's true Ottawa retains the right to regulate, the Marshall decision also says the fisheries minister must propose regulations and then consult with the Mi'kmaq about those rules.

"That has never been done," he said in an interview.

Wildsmith, who is now an adviser to the Mi'kmaq in Nova Scotia, said negotiations with Ottawa have stalled.

The long and short seems to be that First Nations don't need to obey licensing issues like the commercial fishery so long as they aren't going crazy with the fishing, but all of this is still subject to federal conservation regulations which take precedence over everything. And the whole thing boils down to what Ottawa and the band can hash out around their plan. But the band is claiming Ottawa is stalling (which would not be surprising or unprecedented). But that doesn't change that the federal government still has say here, seemingly mostly under the auspices of conservation.

To the general point, everyone drove their fisheries into the ground and the concept of conservation is a pretty modern invention because it turns out knowledge of how ecosystems work isn't something we are born with.

shryke on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Considering how the BC government continually fucked over the Wekweeti, I am amazed at how long so many of the nations try to work within the system. I suppose the willingness of the RCMP to violate their rights leaves them little room, but the crowds of people threatening to trash their boats and kick the shit out of them need to be dispersed. Treat those protests like the ones at the G7.

But I guess I already know why that doesn't happen.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Considering how the BC government continually fucked over the Wekweeti, I am amazed at how long so many of the nations try to work within the system. I suppose the willingness of the RCMP to violate their rights leaves them little room, but the crowds of people threatening to trash their boats and kick the shit out of them need to be dispersed. Treat those protests like the ones at the G7.

Mainly because the average Canadian does not care.

We've essentially been in the same holding position with the various bands all over the country for decades and nothing is going to change.

• Options

We've essentially been in the same holding position with the various bands all over the country for decades and nothing is going to change.

The average Canadian isn't indifferent to First Nations issues, they're actively hostile to them.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

The average Canadian isn't indifferent to First Nations issues, they're actively hostile to them.

I wouldn't really agree. I'd say the average Canadian spends 0% of their daily lives thinking about anything to do with First Nations. Because most Canadians live in places where native issues are practically irrelevant to their daily lives. They might notice occasionally when they block a railroad or road or something but that lasts only so long as the blockage does and only in the sense that it's directly effecting their lives.

shryke on
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Actively hostile is saying that most even think about them or plights. Really think ignorance/indifference/neglect is the majority and isn't really active in any sense.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Infidel wrote: »
    Actively hostile is saying that most even think about them or plights. Really think ignorance/indifference/neglect is the majority and isn't really active in any sense.

Sure, until the attosecond they're on the public's radar for any reason, at which point the best result is a lot of people ranting about The Indians Getting Special Treatment and the more likely result is that we all get reminded why Canadian media has a general rule that if an article even tangentially involves the First Nations comments must be disabled. If people reflexively froth themselves up into a rage every time they hear about a chunk of the population, and in this part of the country it really is every time for a lot of people, I'm not going to pretend that's not hostility just because they get to not care when they can pretend they don't exist in the first place.

(That's not even counting things like one of the main federal political parties regularly going to the mat on the "it's cool that we tried to exterminate them" issue.)

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options

Sure, until the attosecond they're on the public's radar for any reason, at which point the best result is a lot of people ranting about The Indians Getting Special Treatment and the more likely result is that we all get reminded why Canadian media has a general rule that if an article even tangentially involves the First Nations comments must be disabled. If people reflexively froth themselves up into a rage every time they hear about a chunk of the population, and in this part of the country it really is every time for a lot of people, I'm not going to pretend that's not hostility just because they get to not care when they can pretend they don't exist in the first place.

(That's not even counting things like one of the main federal political parties regularly going to the mat on the "it's cool that we tried to exterminate them" issue.)

Online comments represents the average Canadian now?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I mean, everywhere I've been, people complain about how great the natives have it.

Everywhere.

I think it's fair to say that the average Canadian doesn't often think about First Nations issues. But anytime they do, they're angry that they're being bothered by First Nations issues. Maybe the average Canadian doesn't actively hate First Nations people. But the average Canadian passively hates them. And most definitely would rather they didn't exist.

• Options
    That's the point I think we're trying to make? That you shouldn't be focused on "active hostility" when the problem is gross indifference and annoyance when faced with the issues.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    I don't think you're quite understanding.

Most Canadians want First Nations people to stop existing.

Everything else comes from that. So that's the problem we should be addressing instead of pussyfooting around and trying not to offend the fragile snowflakes.

• Options
    Most Canadians want First Nations people to stop existing.

Okay.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    That's the point I think we're trying to make? That you shouldn't be focused on "active hostility" when the problem is gross indifference and annoyance when faced with the issues.

Kneejerk resentment at any mention of an ethnic group existing, regardless of whether that existence is coming up in the context of "the issues," is hostility, even before the much uglier and regularly violent reactions when they - gasp! - suggest that maybe there's room for improvement there.

I get that D&D makes an art form out of pedantry, but Christ, this shouldn't be as hard to understand as it somehow is.

• Options
    I mean, everywhere I've been, people complain about how great the natives have it.

Everywhere.

I think it's fair to say that the average Canadian doesn't often think about First Nations issues. But anytime they do, they're angry that they're being bothered by First Nations issues. Maybe the average Canadian doesn't actively hate First Nations people. But the average Canadian passively hates them. And most definitely would rather they didn't exist.

A lot of places I've been people just don't give a shit.

Like for example, going urban parts of Southern Ontario vs Northern Ontario is a huge change in attitude on this issue in my experience. Like a sea change. From complete indifference to people with very firm capital-O Opinions on the subject.

My experience is a lot of people who never think about First Nations issues get mad when they come up because the only context in which they come up is, like, some First Nations people are protesting by blocking a road or a railway line or something like that. And they treat it with the kind of hostility they treat basically any protest that gets in their way. The stereotypes are just different between lazy university kids vs lazy first nations.

On the stereotype front I think that's also pretty regional in many ways. I've heard people here bring up the "natives have it great" thing before but my experience from growing up is that in the rare instances where the negative stereotypes would come up they were things like "lazy drunks living in squalor".

After having spent time in and knowing people from all sorts of parts of Canada my biggest impression on that front has been that there's some dramatic regional differences that, at least from my anecdotal observation, seem to be tied a lot to how relevant first nations anything is their lives and local politics.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Canadian prime minister John Turner, second-shortest serving PM at 79 days, has passed away :(

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options

I wouldn't really agree. I'd say the average Canadian spends 0% of their daily lives thinking about anything to do with First Nations. Because most Canadians live in places where native issues are practically irrelevant to their daily lives. They might notice occasionally when they block a railroad or road or something but that lasts only so long as the blockage does and only in the sense that it's directly effecting their lives.

Not exactly true.

In my personal experience with living in both Montreal and Calgary native issues are fairly common as both have large reserves very nearby.

Calgary literally has a reserve on its southern limits and trust me when I say that when the ring road was being built this was something that was talked about constantly. There are 3-4 large reserves inside of an hour's drive as well.

The main issue is that most people here only encounter them in not ideal situations.

dw4tymryfqvb.png

This discussion has been closed.