As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pardon my French [Canadian Politics Thread]

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    No deciding if someone, or a group, you know personally, have worked with, have been paid by, plan to work for, or hate get or don't get a contract is not actually hard.
    You just leave the room when you recognize the name. It's even easier now, since you just need to close the video-conference while you go get a coffee.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    As an example, I'm required, ethically, to hand over to another person in my area any work I'm doing if I recognize the person.

I don't have to be related to them, or be friends with them. It could be a neighbour, or a former neighbour, or a person down the street. If I recognize the individual as someone who I've known personally at some point previously, I can't continue working on that particular piece of work.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    mrondeau wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »
    mrondeau wrote: »
    It's not actually complicated: you don't get to be part of the contract attribution process if you are involved with one of the candidates. It's actually trivial to avoid.

There was one candidate.
    Yes. That is, as we say, the fucking problem.

How many organizations capable of running a billion-dollar program as part of the pandemic response are we supposed to have lying around?

Isn't that what the government is for?

Oh wait, it outsourced all the powerful parts of itself to private corporations.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    What would be the best place to report/get a workplace audited for Cerb misappropriation?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    What would be the best place to report/get a workplace audited for Cerb misappropriation?

CRA?

:so_raven:
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

CRA National Leads Centre

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/programs/about-canada-revenue-agency-cra/suspected-tax-cheating-in-canada-how-report.html

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    BlarghyBlarghy Registered User regular

How could a workplace potentially misappropriate someone's cerb payments?

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Blarghy wrote: »

How could a workplace potentially misappropriate someone's cerb payments?

A workplace cutting people's wages because they are receiving CERB (there's a threshold that if you earn less you can qualify for the CERB if I recall correctly).

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uzZbyYPozA
    Some US Reps are starting to make noise that they want the Canadian border open so they can go to their summer properties

No, this is not a joke.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Some US Reps are starting to make noise that they want the Canadian border open so they can go to their summer properties

No, this is not a joke.

Can you let them in and then not let them back please?

• Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

No, this is not a joke.

No.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

No, this is not a joke.

I’m actually OK with letting people in so long as they properly quarantine. Then, serve people up with federal charges if they don’t. They could end up spending years here in Canada, being supported by the Canadian taxpayer, if I had my way.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

No, this is not a joke.

I’m actually OK with letting people in so long as they properly quarantine. Then, serve people up with federal charges if they don’t. They could end up spending years here in Canada, being supported by the Canadian taxpayer, if I had my way.

Given the issues NZ has been having with this shit, hells no.
    On Wednesday a man, aged in his 30s absconded from his managed quarantine hotel in central Auckland to visit a supermarket and later tested positive for coronavirus. It came after a woman jumped over a hedge to get out of quarantine. Later, she got lost and asked a passing policeman for directions back to her hotel.

In the latest case, a man in his fifties cut through ties in a 1.8 metre fence to break out of a temporary quarantine facility in Hamilton, on New Zealand’s North Island and visit a liquor store.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/10/new-zealand-man-cuts-through-fence-to-escape-covid-19-quarantine-and-buy-alcohol4

People cannot be trusted to quarantine.

• Options

Which is why I’m suggesting that breaking quarantine become a federal crime, and that people get imprisoned.

And then enforce that.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Which is why I’m suggesting that breaking quarantine become a federal crime, and that people get imprisoned.

And then enforce that.
    They can just stay in house arrest. In their house.

There's an argument for opening for the EU, but the US, no. Absolutely not.

• Options

57t3o8e9f2b1.jpeg

• Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

And then enforce that.

I mean, we're already undergoing something of a revolution about the role of policing and law enforcement, and there's a lot of good arguments to be made that prison culture (i.e. the culture that imprisons people) should also be abolished or at least completely reformed, as it is also systemically racist. Adding another law that is very likely to be abused to target minorities and low-income members of society and criminalize them unnecessarily is probably not the strongest choice right now.

• Options

And then enforce that.

That's the problem I'm pointing out though. Enforcing it is not that easy and people are constantly trying to get around it. Up to and including apparently cutting a hole in a fucking fence. It just does not at all seem like a good idea. It's too hard to make people follow the rules.

• Options
    Ok I was pissed off and used wrong term (Also partly because Cerb has become a catch all term for the various benefits.)

Its abuse of the worker top up I want to report. We had all already been suspicious because of the big variances in everyone's add on, and none were to the amount expected, but all attempts at inquiry are deflected and ignored.

Yesterday one of the prep cooks found the paystub of one of the owners kids that works there in the trash.

It had almost 9k as his top up for that pay period.

He is one of 3 of their children working there also

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Ok I was pissed off and used wrong term (Also partly because Cerb has become a catch all term for the various benefits.)

Its abuse of the worker top up I want to report. We had all already been suspicious because of the big variances in everyone's add on, and none were to the amount expected, but all attempts at inquiry are deflected and ignored.

Yesterday one of the prep cooks found the paystub of one of the owners kids that works there in the trash.

9k top up in a 2 week pay period?

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    darkmayo wrote: »

9k top up in a 2 week pay period?

Yep

Edit: no actual employees even hit the 2500 that 4 weeks of work + top up was supposed to hit either. Everyone was short

WiseManTobes on
  • Options

No, this is not a joke.

Sounds like another good reason to ban foreign ownership of Canadian property.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

No, this is not a joke.

No, just continue to refuse entry because owning property doesn’t automatically grant them permission to enter the country.

If they don’t like it they can feel free to sell the property.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I hope he kept the paystub and that's what you're submitting as evidence. CRA doesn't fuck around when it comes to payroll.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

No, this is not a joke.

No, just continue to refuse entry because owning property doesn’t automatically grant them permission to enter the country.

I mean it's another reason, aside from all the other good reasons to ban foreign ownership.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

No, this is not a joke.

I mean it's another reason, aside from all the other good reasons to ban foreign ownership.

I’m curious about this, mostly to clarify what foreign ownership is, and what the issues are (versus, say, mass-purchase of property by the extremely wealthy as asset havens, independent of nationality).

As a recent immigrant to Canada, do I count as a “foreign owner”? I’m not a citizen, but also, I’d like to own my own home. So...could you clarify?

I mean, GTA being what it is, we’ll have enough problems doing that anyway.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »

No, this is not a joke.

I’m curious about this, mostly to clarify what foreign ownership is, and what the issues are (versus, say, mass-purchase of property by the extremely wealthy as asset havens, independent of nationality).

As a recent immigrant to Canada, do I count as a “foreign owner”? I’m not a citizen, but also, I’d like to own my own home. So...could you clarify?

Generally when people are talking about foreign ownership they are talking non-residents buying properties as either vacation properties or (more commonly) investments

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The way I normally see it expressed is 'banning foreign investment ownership'. This is the one for people who do not live at least 6 months of the year in the residence with it as their primary residence.

Another variation is banning foreign ownership for someone who does not have permanent residency/citizenship. This would include people on work visas, student visas, or temporary working holiday visas. I can't recall if there are typically any exceptions for things like the old NAFTA visas which allowed for longer duration work in fellow NAFTA countries. Of course with NAFTA being replaced by New NAFTA this could all be up in the air for a while.

There's probably a version about banning foreign ownership for all non "old-stock Canadians" to use the Harper Conservative language.

I imagine there should also be a version about banning all non-First Nations from owning property here, since there's that whole colonization thing that happened. I don't hear too much about this version.

So it is going to depend on who you ask.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    CroakerBC wrote: »

No, this is not a joke.

Basically the idea is to prevent foreign investment driving up property prices, so that property prices remain coupled to local incomes (though this is already broken in most major markets in Canada). For example, in BC there's an additional property transfer tax on property sales to foreign nationals, in specific areas. But, if you are a permanent-resident you are exempt.

BC Bill 28

New Zealand has a version of a foreign buyer ban, that does not apply to residents:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-45199034

Corvus on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

No, this is not a joke.

Or hire a nice Canadian property management company to go and make sure everything is OK and do maintenance.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Finance Minister Bill Morneau also has family ties to WE Charity: two daugthers; one paid term employment after an internship; the other as a speaker during WE events.

The really completely shit part about this entire fiasco is the fact that it's actively derailed the student volunteer grants program that was supposed to be kicking in by now.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

The types of people who are adamant on coming up here now of all times because their summer cottage is calling to them are exactly the types of people who would in all likelihood literally rather die than comply with quarantine requirements.

That's close enough to an absolute given as makes no difference, so it'd be easier to just turn them back at the border.

That said, plenty are already up here, having lied about their reasons for entering the country and their willingness to quarantine, and I'm pretty sure lying to border officials can also result in federal charges, so...

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    If we're going to contain it we're going to have to close the border even harder because the us is headed in the opposite direction

• Options
    Phyphor wrote: »
    If we're going to contain it we're going to have to close the border even harder because the us is headed in the opposite direction

Yeah, like until say, April.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

The types of people who are adamant on coming up here now of all times because their summer cottage is calling to them are exactly the types of people who would in all likelihood literally rather die than comply with quarantine requirements.

That's close enough to an absolute given as makes no difference, so it'd be easier to just turn them back at the border.

That said, plenty are already up here, having lied about their reasons for entering the country and their willingness to quarantine, and I'm pretty sure lying to border officials can also result in federal charges, so...

What, don'tcha know the only route thru Canada to Alaska involves vacationing for 3 weeks from Manitoba to B.C.?

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

No, this is not a joke.

I'm pretty opposed to any sort of non-essential travel; It sucks for the tourism industry that we can't have people come in from abroad, but the simple fact is that the more restrictive we are WRT allowing people to cross the border the lower our chances of having a fresh outbreak.

Because yeah: America's handling of this has been equal parts scattershot and stunningly naive.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Because yeah: America's handling of this has been equal parts scattershot and stunningly naive.
    I agree with the rest, but there's nothing "naive" about the US handling of the crisis. They know exactly what they are doing, they just don't want to do what's actually needed.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'd characterize a lot of the US response as criminally negligent rather than just naive.

Not everyone in the US, mind you; some governors and mayors and stuff are trying to do the right thing. But basically republicans. Criminally negligent.

• Options
    As far as I can see, the leadership and powerful have chosen to sacrifice the vulnerable because they don't care and think they are insulated from any consequences.

• Options
    It's more that trying to actually deal with the pandemic is hard and so they've simply decided to not bother. There's a freedom in simply deciding you are fucked anyway, so why even try.

This discussion has been closed.