Options

[Chat]! Ahhhhhh!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    "Ricing" as a verb means something very different, I think, but I can't remember what.

I guess I'll never know.

There's a cooking implement called "ricer" that's basically like a big garlic press with rice grain diameter holes. Using it is called "ricing" and you use it on boiled potatoes when mashing would produce the wrong texture.

There's also ricin, the very deadly toxin.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Companies doing hydrogen fuel cell shit are getting a little boost from a recent scientific breakthrough: a stable, reusable, non-explosive polymer that can sequester hydrogen at a power-storage density a couple times higher than lithium polymer batteries. It's still in laboratory testing and hasn't been commercialized but it looks very promising and could potentially allow car-sized and larger fuel cells to operate without a giant terrifying high pressure hydrogen tank.

I believe speculation about this breakthrough is mostly driving fuel cell stocks to come back from the dead.

This would be pretty big as a stepping stone, and possibly the only way to make air travel long term sustainable.

i mean you'd think that but hydrogen and air travel don't have a positive history

My prediction is air travel remains on hydrocarbons, just using biofuels instead of oil as the source so it's neutral.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I got yer biofuels right here

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    How efficiently can we generate hydrogen?

Like if we put a kWh of electricity into our generator, then put that hydrogen into a cell, and the cell spits out 0.25 kWh before it runs dry then... not great.

(especially since from what I can tell li-ion batteries are about as efficient as you can possibly expect)

Isn't more that it has the advantages of a "burned fuel" in that the system becomes lighter as you use more fuel, unlike batteries.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Good morning deadly neurotoxins and other overused Portal jokes

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Good morning deadly neurotoxins and other overused Portal jokes

Feeling very attacked

• Options

Like if we put a kWh of electricity into our generator, then put that hydrogen into a cell, and the cell spits out 0.25 kWh before it runs dry then... not great.

(especially since from what I can tell li-ion batteries are about as efficient as you can possibly expect)

Isn't more that it has the advantages of a "burned fuel" in that the system becomes lighter as you use more fuel, unlike batteries.

Hmm, also an important consideration.
    Though I wonder what the mass difference between a full and empty hydrogen cell is?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

That depends how quickly we can get the scoops up and running on Jupiter

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    When I'm pressing my active-yeast culture filled, neurotoxic, plastic models of dried grapes into thin strands, I'm ricing my ricin raising resin raisins

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

Lithium polymer batteries are extremely poor in terms of energy density in the grand scheme of things. Compared to battery tech of the past they are good and cheap and reusable, but compared to gasoline or a snickers bar, we can see that they are tremendously far from the energy storage upper bound.

For future fuel cell tech, you make hydrogen gas by splitting water when you are "charging" the cell, then you store the hydrogen in a polymer. When it comes time to run it in reverse, you heat the polymer and the hydrogen is released, and water+power are made. It's a semi-closed system to which you occasionally just add some more water.

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

That depends how quickly we can get the scoops up and running on Jupiter

Oh sure just plunder Jupiter's natural resources, you monster.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    "Ricing" as a verb means something very different, I think, but I can't remember what.

I guess I'll never know.

There's a cooking implement called "ricer" that's basically like a big garlic press with rice grain diameter holes. Using it is called "ricing" and you use it on boiled potatoes when mashing would produce the wrong texture.

Hmm. I had a vague feeling that ricing was some kind of torture method or something. I guess you could use a ricer as a torture device but I don't think that's where I got that from.

Oh well.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I guess I'll never know.

Hmm. I had a vague feeling that ricing was some kind of torture method or something. I guess you could use a ricer as a torture device but I don't think that's where I got that from.

Oh well.

Much like with unpeeled potatoes, if you riced a human I imagine the skin would plug up the holes and render it unusable

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    "Attack and Dethrone Goodell" is such a damn good NFL thread title.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Compared to battery tech of the past they are good and cheap and reusable, but compared to gasoline or a snickers bar, we can see that they are tremendously far from the energy storage upper bound.

candy bar batteries, you say

• Options
    Compared to battery tech of the past they are good and cheap and reusable, but compared to gasoline or a snickers bar, we can see that they are tremendously far from the energy storage upper bound.

candy bar batteries, you say

All I got from this is that I should put snickers bars in my gas tank

• Options

Lithium polymer batteries are extremely poor in terms of energy density in the grand scheme of things. Compared to battery tech of the past they are good and cheap and reusable, but compared to gasoline or a snickers bar, we can see that they are tremendously far from the energy storage upper bound.

For future fuel cell tech, you make hydrogen gas by splitting water when you are "charging" the cell, then you store the hydrogen in a polymer. When it comes time to run it in reverse, you heat the polymer and the hydrogen is released, and water+power are made. It's a semi-closed system to which you occasionally just add some more water.

Yeah the density on batteries is bad, but the efficiency is good. So the fuel is exactly as cheap as we can make electricity.

What I'm saying is, if hydrogen cells are 4x as dense, but the power costs 4x as much, is it worth it?

• Options
    Though are you saying the new cell tech does the electrolysis inside the cell? That's neat.
    The last round of hydrogen tech I looked at you'd need to inject gaseous hydrogen into the cell. (Though this did have the advantage of quick charging, disadvantage of needed hydrogen fill-up stations)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    This is the part where he kills us

Seriously one of the greatest comedic moments in videogames I've ever experienced.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    There’s a rumor going around that JJ Abrams and Warners wants Keanu Reeves for more Constantine, including rolling him into a Justice League Dark film

This sounds like the ravings of an addlebrained moongazer, but some more-reputable news sites are picking it up

• Options
    Wow are the paintings that accompany completing thoughts in Disco Elysium fucking fantastic

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Every once in a while I meet a person at work who is closeted or not out and looks at my queer ass in pure terror. But, I wish I could tell them that I would never have guessed they were also LGBTQIA until they make the terror eyes at me. Most of the time this ends in like them telling me six months later. <3

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Has anyone suggested they try doing The Dark Tower by making a single "The Gunslinger" film, just using the cast and crew of Justified and seeing where it goes from there?

Someone in hollywood should give me...60 million dollars and I think we can make this happen.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Every once in a while I meet a person at work who is closeted or not out and looks at my queer ass in pure terror. But, I wish I could tell them that I would never have guessed they were also LGBTQIA until they make the terror eyes at me. Most of the time this ends in like them telling me six months later. <3

How do they knew you're queer? Do you just introduce yourself that way? "Hi I'm Fuzy and I'm queer. Nice to meet you?"

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    This is the part where he kills us

Seriously one of the greatest comedic moments in videogames I've ever experienced.

The achievement certainly helped

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »

How do they knew you're queer? Do you just introduce yourself that way? "Hi I'm Fuzy and I'm queer. Nice to meet you?"
    I present my anus at every meeting.

No, I am out at work and mention my husband and people ask me about how my husband is doing. I also look queer though lots of people say in a way they think is a compliment that "they would never have guessed".

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Has anyone suggested they try doing The Dark Tower by making a single "The Gunslinger" film, just using the cast and crew of Justified and seeing where it goes from there?

Someone in hollywood should give me...60 million dollars and I think we can make this happen.

The Gunslinger would be a fantastic low budget, Cannes-friendly movie. I would go sparse as all hell, focus heavily on the massiveness and emptiness of it all... don't blow a wad on a special FX budget but hint at it when they hold palaver and roland drifts off by the fire as flagg talks.

End on the beach, fade as the sound of the waves crash in the distance... provide zero resolution to anything whatsoever.
    The Boy is dead, merlin seems dead, roland seems kind of irredeemable, the world is massively large and complex and your quest is pointless. The end.

I would watch that move 1000 times.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

I guess I'll never know.

Oh well.

it's when you make your linux distribution look nice

pretty much every linix themed subreddit has a load of "my first rice" posts

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

The problem is that I'm not aware of anything (rechargeable) that has anything even close to the energy/weight ratio of a Li+/Li0 system. I guess hydrogen is the only thing that can compete.

But for both of those the necessary support/containment structures are the vast majority of the weight of the end product, so if you could engineer something that didn't require all that infrastructure it might be possible to beat them.

• Options
    also good morning friends

• Options

Yeah the density on batteries is bad, but the efficiency is good. So the fuel is exactly as cheap as we can make electricity.

What I'm saying is, if hydrogen cells are 4x as dense, but the power costs 4x as much, is it worth it?

Oh I see what you mean. You're talking coulombic efficiency. Charge in vs charge out. Yeah, LiPo batteries are near 100% if you trickle charge and something like 70%-80% with quick charge techniques.

When running electrolysis of water, the semi-closed battery model, assuming polymer sequester and not pressurization, this process is about 80% efficient. So overall you've got 80% efficient charging on the reverse reaction and then usually for forward step is somewhere like 60% efficient + a bunch of heat produced. More efficient cells have been made by also vamping heat off the cell as it works but I'll keep it modern-day realistic and say that fuel cell systems acting like batteries have a coulombic efficiency of ~50%.

This efficiency loss is a lot easier to swallow when solar panels and wind turbines are taking the hit. Less so when it's fossil fuel power generation. But regardless, the higher storage density means you can branch out into areas previously off limits. Like air travel or long haul trucking.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Everyone must enjoy this modern rice
    gj6b671mgfc0.jpeg

Everyone must enjoy this modern rice.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hey guys I think I see 1 or 2 holes in this logic:

8h78g7m771jw.png

• Options
    ~50% real world efficiency is probably good enough
    still cheaper than gas

• Options
    Also @arch I made a new friend

xi9m0c3hqklv.png
    Drunella coloradensis?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

The real meat and potatoes is if we can do it with solar or nuclear fusion. Once we can do that on a large scale we're really cooking.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »

I guess I'll never know.

Oh well.

it's when you make your linux distribution look nice

pretty much every linix themed subreddit has a load of "my first rice" posts

Oh right. Also street racing cars, right? Spoilers, decals, underside lighting.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I’m finna ricin these taters

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Hey guys I think I see 1 or 2 holes in this logic:

8h78g7m771jw.png

This is such a huge mistake... I am trying to think of a sport that is worse from a covid perspective and all I could come up with is basketball.

Buch of folks heavily breathing and slamming forcefully into each other on the field, roughly once a minute, for hours. Yeah, making them stand apart from each other after all that fixes the problem.

cool. cool cool cool.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

Oh I see what you mean. You're talking coulombic efficiency. Charge in vs charge out. Yeah, LiPo batteries are near 100% if you trickle charge and something like 70%-80% with quick charge techniques.

When running electrolysis of water, the semi-closed battery model, assuming polymer sequester and not pressurization, this process is about 80% efficient. So overall you've got 80% efficient charging on the reverse reaction and then usually for forward step is somewhere like 60% efficient + a bunch of heat produced. More efficient cells have been made by also vamping heat off the cell as it works but I'll keep it modern-day realistic and say that fuel cell systems acting like batteries have a coulombic efficiency of ~50%.

This efficiency loss is a lot easier to swallow when solar panels and wind turbines are taking the hit. Less so when it's fossil fuel power generation. But regardless, the higher storage density means you can branch out into areas previously off limits. Like air travel or long haul trucking.

Or it's replacing internal combustion. 50% is still a win, even 50% of fossil fuel generation is pretty close

Phyphor on
This discussion has been closed.