Options

[Chat]! Ahhhhhh!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    ~50% real world efficiency is probably good enough
    still cheaper than gas

Yeah gas, coal, lp, and natural gas are "cheap" if we completely ignore the costs they present in long term effects to our environment and the efficiency they had in their creation. So even 50% efficiency is good for the energy loss in hydrogen probably.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    what if we could harness the power of disappointment

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    No Vish that's a bug

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    No Vish that's a bug

or is it a feature

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    How can I enjoy the modern rice?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    "Ricing" as a verb means something very different, I think, but I can't remember what.

I guess I'll never know.

There's a cooking implement called "ricer" that's basically like a big garlic press with rice grain diameter holes. Using it is called "ricing" and you use it on boiled potatoes when mashing would produce the wrong texture.

There's also ricin, the very deadly toxin.

Hmm. I had a vague feeling that ricing was some kind of torture method or something. I guess you could use a ricer as a torture device but I don't think that's where I got that from.

Oh well.

it's when you make your linux distribution look nice

pretty much every linix themed subreddit has a load of "my first rice" posts

Oh right. Also street racing cars, right? Spoilers, decals, underside lighting.

yup, it stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

• Options
    How can I enjoy the modern rice?

you must

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

it'd be some sort of alternating current

"YAY" -> No disappointment left to power stuff -> Disappointment about the lack of forethought -> "YAY"

• Options
    "Ricing" as a verb means something very different, I think, but I can't remember what.

I guess I'll never know.

There's a cooking implement called "ricer" that's basically like a big garlic press with rice grain diameter holes. Using it is called "ricing" and you use it on boiled potatoes when mashing would produce the wrong texture.

Hmm. I had a vague feeling that ricing was some kind of torture method or something. I guess you could use a ricer as a torture device but I don't think that's where I got that from.

Oh well.

this feels like a racist backronym

• Options
    The reason we use gas and coal is because all the "efficiency" we gain from it was created over millions of years of heat and pressure. Having a 50% efficient model with a few hours of electrical generation from our star? Is that even a fair competition? Hydrogen wins every time.

The effects hit our planet anyways, at least we can capture some of it and make it do work for us.

That's a win in every conceivable way.

Now if we can figure out fusion we'll be an interstellar species in a generation.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tyrannus wrote: »

it'd be some sort of alternating current

"YAY" -> No disappointment left to power stuff -> Disappointment about the lack of forethought -> "YAY"

perpetual motion machine!

• Options

I guess I'll never know.

Oh well.

I read this quote tree backwards and thought it was about something very different

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Hey guys I think I see 1 or 2 holes in this logic:

8h78g7m771jw.png

This is such a huge mistake... I am trying to think of a sport that is worse from a covid perspective and all I could come up with is basketball.

Buch of folks heavily breathing and slamming forcefully into each other on the field, roughly once a minute, for hours. Yeah, making them stand apart from each other after all that fixes the problem.

cool. cool cool cool.
    It's about as different as the XFL (as in, not at all).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    The reason we use gas and coal is because all the "efficiency" we gain from it was created over millions of years of heat and pressure. Having a 50% efficient model with a few hours of electrical generation from our star? Is that even a fair competition? Hydrogen wins every time.

The effects hit our planet anyways, at least we can capture some of it and make it do work for us.

Now if we can figure out fusion we'll be an interstellar species in a generation.

what if we use up all the sunlight and there's none left for the plants

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

They shoulda grown taller

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »

They shoulda grown taller

THERE IS UNREST IN THE FOREST
    THERE IS TROUBLE WITH THE TREES

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    No Vish that's a bug

This is rude

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I guess I'll never know.

Oh well.

this feels like a racist backronym

I am like 80% sure this is true based on how many definitions mention "asian" cars, but while I will read scientific reference material for 20 minutes to ballpark the coulombic efficiency of a fuel cell, this is a research hole I am not crawling into willingly.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular

Then we've constructed a dyson sphere and so have won

• Options

Dyson sphere time then

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Oh shit the crazy mother fuckers did it. They found a way to make Catholicism cool again.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    is a dyson sphere just a moderately better regular sphere at four times the price

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

this is a joke but also my dad's job installed a big solar farm and the heat and shadow killed all the plants around it, their roots vanished, the soil eroded, and now it's kind of an ongoing problem.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

this is a joke but also my dad's job installed a big solar farm and the heat and shadow killed all the plants around it, their roots vanished, the soil eroded, and now it's kind of an ongoing problem.

hmm i didn't expect shitposting to be serious business

• Options
    Theoretically it'd be possible for us to build a partial dyson sphere to the point where earth could survive the red giant phase

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    is a dyson sphere just a moderately better regular sphere at four times the price

Well it also spins

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Oh shit the crazy mother fuckers did it. They found a way to make Catholicism cool again.

fuck me they need to stick on of these on a shotgun wielding priest in the purge or some shit

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Theoretically it'd be possible for us to build a partial dyson sphere to the point where earth could survive the red giant phase

Seems like a bad idea then

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

seems like if we could do that we could just move

• Options

I think there's a variety of clover that is super heat tolerant and loves the shade.

Plus bees love it.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I forgot how good Cara Mia was

Really glad that there's not going to be a Portal 3 any time soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfJRDKnDWtI

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options

This is warhammer af

• Options

seems like if we could do that we could just move

why not both?

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    this is a good joke

• Options
    Putting on my ecclesiastical rebreather and mercing a newborn from 6 feet away with a super soaker full of God's love and cleansing.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Okay but imagine Portal 3 VR

• Options
    That's the one part no one talks about with global warming, sure humans are fuckmuppets, but we're going to need to do something about our sun because it's getting hotter as it burns through its fuel.

We've got maybe 2 billion years before it'll be too hot for any life, and about another 4-6 billion years before it goes into the red giant phase.

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Okay but imagine Portal 3 VR

no

well…

chell shouldn't be the protagonist

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    i wanted to fact check and it turned out to be more challenging than i expected to find out if christ church oxford is anglican or catholic

i mean i was pretty sure anglican but it's good to be sure

wikipedia led me there but it wasn't just like straightforward "denomination: anglican"

it did however have a straightforward "named after: jesus christ"

as if there might be some confusion on that point

• Options
    this is a good joke

i think i've made it at least two other times in the science thread over the years

stick with the classics

This discussion has been closed.