As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]! Ahhhhhh!

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Also my computer is in a corner with like zero wifi so it will take me SOME TIME to download the game.

In the mean time, Surfpossum credeiki I would appreciate any more design input. I have rearranged the panels, added a different image in one, and added white space. Is this ok/are there obvious issues/should I abandon nine panels?
    3ru9abx5cx52.jpg

Second thing: I could move the sharper images to the cardinal directions instead of corners, allowing me to have one fewer "sharp" images. This doesn't have the white space, but I could easily (though with some time) add it, but I am wondering about the possibility of this arrangement:
    ydkekfpt3c5e.jpg

(I realize that the same image is arranged in a position to be hard and soft in the two images, but I'm not totally sure how to class it)

Shiv what do you think about this? Maybe the dark red matting is a matter of taste but the composition does genuinely look a lot better. All I did was crop.
    q45uls4jjoxf.jpg

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    This year might be time for either a motherboard swap (and therefore a cpu / ram upgrade) or changing over all my storage to pci-e flash sticks.

Yuuuup. I'm waiting for the new Ryzens to drop then I'm going for the upgrade, I think.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I’m planning to:

Read a lot of books
    Finally plan out my dnd game for my players
    Play video games
    Maybe do acid?
    Take a day trip somewhere with my husband
    Cook

One of the last weekends before the lockdown my sister and I went up to Beacon to see the art museum and check out their quaint main street

Huge fan of that experience, but I wonder if day trips are still a thing? The whole experience (hour train -> strange new england town -> hour train) seems so impossible now

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure there's a better way for the light bulb reset?

You could add a button, but that's both more expensive (and those bulbs have a lot of engineering challenges with managing heat in a cramped enclosed space), and requires end users to have a light fixture where the button can be accessed while the bulb is installed... (And if it's up high or something you get people complaining about having to move their bulbs around to reset them, or standing on a ladder holding down a button then falling or all sorts of nonsense) Or users just not understanding that they should move the bulb to a different fixture first and then thinking it's impossible to reset.

So controlling it through an on-off code seems best. Turning on and off the is the core function of a light fixture so we can assume it's easy for the user.

Really the only bizarre thing is the serial killer narration on the video, but I think that's the best you can get with such a dull script.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    dark souls

is kool

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    There's actually a fair number of live service games that've been around for a 2+ years that have noted that, having released for the old console generation, they're now having trouble adding new stuff without taxing their memory allocation (and hard drive space) on those machines.

I also think that although the PC upgrade treadmill is more staggered, monitors and graphics card in particular are still alive and kicking as far as gaining advantages in games (especially since large open worlds eg Battle Royale types have grown more popular, which require beefier graphics cards for good render distances and FPS).

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    You know in neutral dark photoshop I wasn't feeling the white matte but back on mobile with the dark blue theme the red looks bad.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I’m still going for a ps5 first because it is tradition but if it turns out to be that big of a difference to the games being developed I might end up buying both eventually

Or maybe I will just stay with Nintendo for forever and no one else ever forever

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    We just received another gift in the form of a case of candy bars from another department.
    Yes
    shower us in gifts mortals
    our power grows

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I setup the PS4 for some Lego Dimensions. I am going to play the Doctor Who level after work.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2020
    Bethryn wrote: »
    There's actually a fair number of live service games that've been around for a 2+ years that have noted that, having released for the old console generation, they're now having trouble adding new stuff without taxing their memory allocation (and hard drive space) on those machines.

I also think that although the PC upgrade treadmill is more staggered, monitors and graphics card in particular are still alive and kicking as far as gaining advantages in games (especially since large open worlds eg Battle Royale types have grown more popular, which require beefier graphics cards for good render distances and FPS).

But it is mostly fringe stuff and not needed to play a game... just needed for Ray Tracing, 144Hz, or something else on the bleeding edge.

There were games that needed a voodoo2 to play and wouldn't work at all on a voodoo1 or voodoo banshee, shortly after the launch of said card. 3D-capable GPU generations were fucking WILD back in the early days. You can still play almost every single AAA game today on a mid-tier GPU from 6 years ago if you are willing to make compromises on settings. That was more or less impossible up until somewhere around the PS3/Xbox 360 generation of consoles.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I’m still going for a ps5 first because it is tradition but if it turns out to be that big of a difference to the games being developed I might end up buying both eventually

Or maybe I will just stay with Nintendo for forever and no one else ever forever

Polygaming is for the immoral

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

It's a fine way to be. Can recommend.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    I'd vote for black matte but if it's going to a print-on-demand type place then big swathes of black ink might not look so good.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I will probably cheat on Lego Dimensions and not build anything. Just use the bases they stand on.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    you ever sit there at 1am and spontaneously desire to eat chicken noodles

yes

i'm not making chicken noodles though :(

🍜 😩

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Eddy wrote: »
    ydkekfpt3c5e.jpg

My guesses on what the network was trained on:

Starry Starry Night, Kandinsky?, Cubism (Nude Descending a Staircase or a Picasso/Braque)
    Hentai, Matisse, Chinese watercolors
    Chagall?, Chagall?, Hokusai

So, since I trawled Google Images, these are not all well known. But!

1) Starry Night, yes
    2) Not actually Miro, but something in Miro's style, by this guy, image here
    3) Yes, it's cubist. It's actually this, though I ALSO trained on nude descending a staircase and got this:
    09j2jrvthz64.png
    (I'm re-running this right now with random initialization)
    4) Not hentai, but right style, it was on Lichtenstein
    5) the Scream
    6) Yes, some random Chinese-style bamboo painting - you can see in her ear (her left ear, the one on the right of the image) that it started to try to include the signature as well
    7) I'm not actually sure who did this, and the site I got it from has been unhelpful. It is from here, and is specifically this rad thing.
    8) Miro's L'air
    9) Hokusai. The Wave, obvs, I haven't run anything on his other works.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Sweet zombie jesus

Stopped by gregs cycle to have my brakes checked. Super long line and they no longer do appointments. At least in the shade though.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Wait, maybe that's a different picasso, But yeah, those are the images I optimized on!

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    @Shivahn instead of being helpful I got distracted and made this:

http://surfpossum.com/cats/grid.html

so that I could drag stuff around and zoom in and out easily.

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Shivahn instead of being helpful I got distracted and made this:

You use a js package for the zoom and scroll gestures or is tgat default browser behavior?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

You use a js package for the zoom and scroll gestures or is tgat default browser behavior?
    Zooming is just default zooming in and out, the only thing I did was stick some drag and drop stuff onto the images.

It all stays in place because the divs have hardcoded sizes.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Zooming is just default zooming in and out, the only thing I did was stick some drag and drop stuff onto the images.

I could peek at the DOM, but lazy...

using canvas for this?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Yeah, cropping is definitely correct. Thanks for the mockups and suggestions, everyone. I like how you've cropped it, DK. I definitely let OCD get in the way of actually trying to find the best framing, so it's good to see how it looks good when you ignore the desire to create perfect squares...

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    this new video burger king put out
    i can't process the range of emotions
    https://youtu.be/x6xDv8RX87A
    but also they actually did this shit and 100g of lemongrass added to a cows diet reduces cow farts by 33%
    but also everything about this video is horrifying from beginning to end
    children
    country music
    cow shit

Is this what insanity feels like?

No, this is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BB6wj6RyKo

Oh hey I've seen that show, I think they were on an island and there was a smoke monster

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    surfing is so god damn fun

boxing was fun too again but they closed down the gym a 2nd time

at least I can still swim and do bodyweight stuff

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I’m planning to:

Read a lot of books
    Finally plan out my dnd game for my players
    Play video games
    Maybe do acid?
    Take a day trip somewhere with my husband
    Cook

One of the last weekends before the lockdown my sister and I went up to Beacon to see the art museum and check out their quaint main street

Huge fan of that experience, but I wonder if day trips are still a thing? The whole experience (hour train -> strange new england town -> hour train) seems so impossible now

@eddy we have access to a car here (we moved to parents place in westchester temporarily)

We did drive to beacon a couple weeks ago and walk around town and got coffee and ate outside. It was delightful!

My husband loves beacon and is lobbying for us to move there. I’ve fallen for it pretty immediately tbh

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

if you are willing to make compromises on settings

25983uyd8a2g.jpeg

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    I'm not sure there's a better way for the light bulb reset?

You could add a button, but that's both more expensive (and those bulbs have a lot of engineering challenges with managing heat in a cramped enclosed space), and requires end users to have a light fixture where the button can be accessed while the bulb is installed... (And if it's up high or something you get people complaining about having to move their bulbs around to reset them, or standing on a ladder holding down a button then falling or all sorts of nonsense) Or users just not understanding that they should move the bulb to a different fixture first and then thinking it's impossible to reset.

So controlling it through an on-off code seems best. Turning on and off the is the core function of a light fixture so we can assume it's easy for the user.

Really the only bizarre thing is the serial killer narration on the video, but I think that's the best you can get with such a dull script.

It really is a sort of interesting problem, because you really only have one input and it already spends a good part of its life fully powered down so a hard power down reset isn't an option either.

Really this makes a lot more sense for a lightbulb than the asinine steps you have to do for some things in devices / machines that have plenty of input options. Here are the steps for resetting the service notification in our truck:
    • Set the ignition to the ON position.
    • Open the hood.
    • Open the drivers door.
    • NOTE: A service resetting message will appear on the instrument cluster.
    • Fully depress both the accelerator and brake pedals and hold for 60 seconds.
    • Set the ignition to the OFF position.
    • Set the ignition to the ON position and check the message has been cleared.
    • If the message remains, repeat the process.

Like, you couldn't have just let us go into a screen and press a button?

• Options
    It's cool that you threw that together so fast, surfpossum. I wish I were a better (faster?) programmer.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Beacon is... just delightful

I am slightly worried everyone is going to move there before we are ready and the pandemic seems to be accelerating the timeline of everyone moving out of the city

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

But it is mostly fringe stuff and not needed to play a game... just needed for Ray Tracing, 144Hz, or something else on the bleeding edge.

There were games that needed a voodoo2 to play and wouldn't work at all on a voodoo1 or voodoo banshee, shortly after the launch of said card. 3D-capable GPU generations were fucking WILD back in the early days. You can still play almost every single AAA game today on a mid-tier GPU from 6 years ago if you are willing to make compromises on settings. That was more or less impossible up until somewhere around the PS3/Xbox 360 generation of consoles.

What Synd is trying to say is bring back Glide

• Options
    It's cool that you threw that together so fast, surfpossum. I wish I were a better (faster?) programmer.
    It's basically all just copying this:
    https://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html5_draganddrop.asp

And being vaguely aware that an image in a div is a child element of that div.

• Options
    I am now doubting if i will get through this line before my meds upset my stomach to the point I have to leave.

I can get by with no rear brake a another day

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HTML has gotten really cool btw.

• Options
    Lia is standing by the door, SCREAMING, because she has learned that she is allowed outside under some conditions. Why did I do this. I have fallen into a trap of my own design.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    fuckin Joan Miro

I want to wage a propaganda campaign to destroy his legacy but his artwork seems to be accomplishing that agenda on its own

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    surfing is so god damn fun

boxing was fun too again but they closed down the gym a 2nd time

at least I can still swim and do bodyweight stuff

Are you a part of the storm?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    new overwatch skin is pretty lit. the maestrooooo
    h3ltxhjbxxxz.png

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Why must this game keep giving me download errors

This discussion has been closed.