As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    dont have to worry much about these implants, there are tons of singularity chasing tech millionaires who will happily lobotomize themselves to work out all the kinks on this one. then in 2040 they'll be fine and I'll get one

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    So with Google Music going the way of the dinosaur I'm thinking I may as well finally go ahead and buy some cloud storage somewhere to keep a backup of my music collection (and the rest of my backups, why not). Any strong recommendations for those that have used any of the services out there?

I did a rough price comparison the other day between Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive and I think OneDrive was the most affordable in terms of storage/price, and it does have the Windows 10 syncing stuff I guess but I'm not too worried about always on backups, this is really more for upload it and not worry about it (or being able to pull down music a la cart to my phone/tablet).

I use OneDrive for work and Google Drive for my personal stuff, and they're both fine. They both upload and download stuff just fine.

If you are going with OneDrive, I'd at least give the Windows 10 app a try. It really does make your online files just another folder in Windows Explorer, which is way more convenient than I imagined it would be when we first rolled it out at work.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    dont have to worry much about these implants, there are tons of singularity chasing tech millionaires who will happily lobotomize themselves to work out all the kinks on this one. then in 2040 they'll be fine and I'll get one

Yeah I won't lie. The idea of being able to transfer my memories and potentially consciousness into a robot body one day is very attractive to me.

However, allowing Elon Musk access to my body in any way is not.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I don't think we're anywhere close to being able to transfer memories out of a body on to some sort of artificial storage.

Like not even a little bit close.

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    I'll just note here, apropo of nothing, if you offer a rat a lever that dispenses a food it likes, and a lever that dispenses a small shock to the pleasure center of its brain, even with free choice and water etc, that rat will press the second lever until it dies of starvation/exhaustion.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    I don't think we're anywhere close to being able to transfer memories out of a body on to some sort of artificial storage.

Like not even a little bit close.

I can't seem to recall where I saw it, but I think they had recorded a recall of an object when a person thought about it in video via... mri?

But it was like 1960s black and white tv being viewed as though you coated your eyes in duke's mayo.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited September 2020
    Somehow the little switch on the side of my phone got switched, so when I got a spam call just now it caused my ringtone to play for the first time in actual years. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    No, that's just a VFX guys creation. They'll likely do a few things:
    1. Have city outposts with tons of the things to fly stuff to people in dense populations
    2. Have a few mounted on every truck that speed delivery and eliminate people doing things. This is what UPS is experimenting with as well. If you could cut driver effort by even 10% that's huge, as the drones could drop all of the small packages to a full cul de sac while the human wrestles the new TV out for a single house.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah that was my understanding, they were going to be based out of trucks rather than the blade runner blimp.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not totally averse to drone delivery if it will cut down road miles/ emissions from Amazon trucks. But I'm still very averse to Amazon, so ..not sure where I stand overall.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Surely powered flight can't be more energy and emissions efficient than a truck+a person

BahamutZERO.gif
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Surely powered flight can't be more energy and emissions efficient than a truck+a person

i mean i would think for a drone, definitely? it uses a battery and has zero emissions.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
    The electricity doesn't come from nowhere.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Lowering the wear and tear on municipal infrastructure and traffic should also be taken into account.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Like if the drones are based out of trucks I'd imagine they will be charged by the truck's engine.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Lowering the wear and tear on municipal infrastructure and traffic should also be taken into account.

I think it's getting to the point where I have a spidey sense for when someone on the forums mentions municipal anything. Because yes, this would be great.
    The electricity doesn't come from nowhere.

This is true, but if drones are delivering smaller packages they can operate without significant power usage. The basic calculation would be: drone usage of Y electrical power (its corresponding X carbon output) must be < X carbon output of vehicle used to cover the equivalent distance for the drone to be a more efficient use. And I imagine that it's probably the case otherwise Amazon wouldn't be looking to do this (since they can compare the actual electrical cost vs the saved gas cost).

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Like, flight is all about weight -- lighter packages means you can deliver a lot more on the same electrical input. Vehicles I don't think get that much more efficient with less weight load.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm not totally averse to drone delivery if it will cut down road miles/ emissions from Amazon trucks. But I'm still very averse to Amazon, so ..not sure where I stand overall.

Personally I'm at, "out front with a net cannon". Every delivery fleet these days is expecting completely insane behavior from their drivers and somehow I don't expect that Amazon will use a 10% driver efficiency boost to give them back their bathroom breaks.

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    when will people figure out that SF has almost always operated as a warning system and is rarely aspirational

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    We’re just so fucked.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited September 2020
    I both hate and love that that's a thing that could very possibly be real.
    My current manager got to try out a jetpack system once, she said it was very freaky.

tynic on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I both hate and love that that's a thing that could very possibly be real.
    My current manager got to try out a jetpack system once, she said it was very freaky.

Ive always wanted to try those flying wings that you can strap into, that have 4 rc jet engines on them.

this is... I don't know what to think about this. But it's definitely something that at least some companies are gonna make their employees wear, I'm pretty confident that'll happen.

https://www.covid19tag.com

this is... I don't know what to think about this. But it's definitely something that at least some companies are gonna make their employees wear, I'm pretty confident that'll happen.

You know how its going to go too. That asshole who thinks this is all a hoax is going to come over and talk to you, this thing will record the interaction and failed social distancing. You’ll both get written up by HR, regardless of how much you tried to shoo the person away or get out of their space.

webguy20 wrote: »

You know how its going to go too. That asshole who thinks this is all a hoax is going to come over and talk to you, this thing will record the interaction and failed social distancing. You’ll both get written up by HR, regardless of how much you tried to shoo the person away or get out of their space.

so it needs to incorporate some kind of active repellent, maybe some blowdarts, is what you're saying

so it needs to incorporate some kind of active repellent, maybe some blowdarts, is what you're saying

At least. What we really need is a badge that monitors someones facebook for virus hoax groups and just doesn't let them in the building to begin with.

well falling back on the corporate surveillance state has never failed us yet.

well falling back on the corporate surveillance state has never failed us yet.

At least we’re good at it.

when will people figure out that SF has almost always operated as a warning system and is rarely aspirational

i swear i know this is all english but i have no idea what it's talking about

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    basically, they're gaming the gig economy for Amazon's tasks by making themselves as close and available as possible to the source of those tasks, like deep sea shrimps feeding by a geothermal vent

Mortal Sky wrote: »
    basically, they're gaming the gig economy for Amazon's tasks by making themselves as close and available as possible to the source of those tasks, like deep sea shrimps feeding by a geothermal vent

this post is the ancient greek to the Demotic/Hieroglyphic of the linked tweet

It's been over a decade since we had to start making sure all the high-frequency trading computers had the same length of cable so that one robot wouldn't have a few billionths of a second to screw a second robot out of millions of mostly imaginary dollars.

We're so far into the black mirror at this point that the robot uprising will be all the Roombas desperately trying to commandeer a rocket so they can get the fuck away from our nonsense.

GDdCWMm.jpg

ohhhhhhhh ok

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCiKYcbCL2g
    I feel like Simon Pegg, and it hasn't gotten to Nick Frost yet.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Raytheon's knife-missiles.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.