[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

11719212223

Posts

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited October 14
    Might have to create a partition in the drive formated to the NSTF file type I think

    Yep,

    You need to fire up the computer in windows on your on your old hard drive, go into disc manager, partition the new drive to NSTF, reboot, go into bios to change boot priority to whatever you are installing windows from, then the new drive, then your old drive. Then install windows to the new drive!

    webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Hefflingchr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think you can just remove the older drive from the boot order in your BIOS, maybe?

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Naphtaliwebguy20MidniteSorce
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited October 14
    I also forgot what a pain in the butt a fresh windows install is to get setup how you want it.

    But I think that old system drive was on its last legs, it was really struggling to reboot at all at times or install updates, often hanging at 100% use for several minutes at a time. I might need to just take it out of the system when I harvest what I need off of it. It's like a ten or more year old hdd.

    Uriel on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I also forgot what a pain in the butt a fresh windows install is to get setup how you want it.

    But I think that old system drive was on its last legs, it was really struggling to reboot at all at times or install updates, often hanging at 100% use for several minutes at a time. I might need to just take it out of the system when I harvest what I need off of it. It's like a ten or more year old hdd.

    yea, retire the drive. It's lived a good life.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    chr1sh4ll3ttb3pimentoSorceV1m
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I wouldn't trust a 10 year old HDD even if it wasn't having troubles, which it sounds like it was.

    aeNqQM9.jpg
    chr1sh4ll3ttb3
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Rest in peace local disk.

    You served me well.

    The hard part is gonna be making sure I have everything of use picked off the thing! I've never been good about keeping my file structure organized.

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Rest in peace local disk.

    You served me well.

    The hard part is gonna be making sure I have everything of use picked off the thing! I've never been good about keeping my file structure organized.

    Don't throw it away, just set it aside. You can always pick up an external enclosure to put it in at some point if you need to pull more stuff off of it.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    UrielTynnanCormacpimento
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    edited October 14
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    Rest in peace local disk.

    You served me well.

    The hard part is gonna be making sure I have everything of use picked off the thing! I've never been good about keeping my file structure organized.

    Don't throw it away, just set it aside. You can always pick up an external enclosure to put it in at some point if you need to pull more stuff off of it.

    That was the plan.

    I gotta remember if it's the Seagate or the WD in there that's the old sytem drive too. I wanna keep the other platter one which is slightly newer as a bulk files drive for like music and pictures and stuff. It hasn't been a system drive so it's not been through so hard a life either.

    Uriel on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    ok I had to select custom installation but now it's going to ask me which windows install to log into every time I start my computer...

    This is a huge pain in the but.

    At least this SSD is fast.

    Run msconfig and go to the boot tab for options related to that boot menu.

    If you remove the entry for an OS it does not remove the install, but it is slightly less straightforward to get it back later.

    Switch: SW-6132-4331-5349 || Steam
  • UrielUriel Registered User regular
    What game should I install...?

  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Ah yes, the true promise of VR: stripping you of your humanity

    IKknkhU.gif
    MidnitetynicmightyjongyoGoose!TynnanBroloKwoaruBucketmanV1mZonugal
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I just kinda wish my Pixel 3XL hadn't been such a dud, it basically started disintegrating the minute the one-year RMA/warranty period ended six months ago

    but my family went with Fi for the family plan and that's so much cheaper and more flexible than basically any plan that I could get on my own

    I might go for a 3A or whatever the hell the next mid-tier phone available on Fi is, but I'm not going to be happy spending money after less than two years and I really wish Google Fi had an equivalent of a Galaxy Active. The Galaxy Active is 100% my kind of shit - big battery, shatterproof, good enough hardware. But then I'd be bankrupted by the plan itself. RIP

    The 4A's been really nice for me for the last few months (non 5G version).

    My 4a shipped today, I'm looking forward to finally getting my hands on it.


    Naphtali
  • JedocJedoc Bringing the past to life so we can beat it to death with a shovelRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Ah yes, the true promise of VR: stripping you of your humanity


    Barry is programmed to know what he did.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    DiarmuidKnight_DoodmanntynicTynnanbowenBucketmanEchoZonugal
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    I will say manager opportunities to roleplay/practice are sorely lacking, but....this is not great.

  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    I will say manager opportunities to roleplay/practice are sorely lacking, but....this is not great.

    Yea, people DO need practice firing or laying people off, but I SERIOUSLY doubt this is the way to do it. You need people to teach managers empathy and how to deal with people, not a VR experience.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    schussBucketmanEchoOrca
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    I will say manager opportunities to roleplay/practice are sorely lacking, but....this is not great.

    Yea, people DO need practice firing or laying people off, but I SERIOUSLY doubt this is the way to do it. You need people to teach managers empathy and how to deal with people, not a VR experience.

    I mean, if it's a good VR experience that means I can practice while getting inside their body and randomly tossing things around the room.

  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    schuss wrote: »
    I will say manager opportunities to roleplay/practice are sorely lacking, but....this is not great.

    Yea, people DO need practice firing or laying people off, but I SERIOUSLY doubt this is the way to do it. You need people to teach managers empathy and how to deal with people, not a VR experience.

    I mean, if it's a good VR experience that means I can practice while getting inside their body and randomly tossing things around the room.

    Well, this is going straight to HR...

    schussexpendableBucketmanHefflingZonugal
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, talk about parking ambulances at the bottom of the cliff, rather than build a proper barrier...

    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

    bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    The only real difference between the iPhone 12 and the pro is the zoom on the camera and a fractionally larger screen isn’t it?

    I will probably just get a 12 if that’s the case.

    pimento
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    The only real difference between the iPhone 12 and the pro is the zoom on the camera and a fractionally larger screen isn’t it?

    I will probably just get a 12 if that’s the case.

    From a person on Reddit:
    Differences between 12 vs 12 Pro:
    • 6 gb of Ram (vs. 4 gb)
    • Essentially the same display resolution (in terms of PPI) except the 12 pro has a slightly higher max brightness (800 nits vs 625)
    • Telephoto lens
    • Dolby vision HDR at 60 FPS (Normal iPhone 12 = 30 FPS)
    • Apple PRORAW (which is “coming soon”)
    • Stainless steel body
    • Larger sensor/sensor shift (12 Pro Max only)
    • LIDAR Scanner
    • Nightmode portraits

    Also the base storage is 64GB vs 128GB
    Battery life is supposed to be the same for the 12 and 12 pro, 12 mini it will be lower by about 10-15%.

  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    It took me 17 minutes of fighting error messages but I got a 12 pro ordered for delivery next Friday.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork


    Jedocwebguy20godmode
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    I just ordered a 12. I don’t think I need the extra thingies. It went surprisingly smoothly, I think the website store opened up earlier that the apple App Store thing.

    But since I’m a capitalist pig I got the clear mag safe case and the charger thingie.

  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

    I just don't understand the culture at Google that thinks actively sabotaging and blowing existing and working services is a good idea

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    SorceMortal Skychr1sh4ll3ttb3BucketmantynicDouglasDangerDiarmuidGoose!TynnanDoodmanngodmodesponomightyjongyoNarbusqwer12EchoMvrckV1mpainfulPleasancehonovereButters
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

    I just don't understand the culture at Google that thinks actively sabotaging and blowing existing and working services is a good idea

    "It wasn't my idea. The people who get the credit are no longer in a position that they can do anything or care. It's in the way of my new idea/it's an acceptable sacrifice for me to enhance my profile."

    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
    pimentoMidniteBucketmana5ehrenDouglasDangerMortal SkyDoodmannmightyjongyoNarbuschr1sh4ll3ttb3V1mpainfulPleasance
  • timspork's ghosttimspork's ghost Master Librarian and Ghostbuster Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I just ordered a 12. I don’t think I need the extra thingies. It went surprisingly smoothly, I think the website store opened up earlier that the apple App Store thing.

    But since I’m a capitalist pig I got the clear mag safe case and the charger thingie.

    Yes it did but I was getting more errors on the website. I was going to order the charger but it was adding an extra step to the order process so I just got the phone for now.

    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork


  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

    I just don't understand the culture at Google that thinks actively sabotaging and blowing existing and working services is a good idea

    Google you have to know this just reads like a toddler yelling words

  • NaphtaliNaphtali Null Registered User regular
    Like I thought Solo & Duo were replacing Hangouts. I guess not now? Need a scorecard to keep up with this.

    B.net: Naphtali#1830 | Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | PSN: EI-Naphtali | Wish List
    BucketmanMidnitegodmodemightyjongyo
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Surprised they haven't done this to Stadia yet

    Orca
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Surprised they haven't done this to Stadia yet

    to what?

    BahamutZERO.gif
    RanlinEchoOrcahonoverereplacewythy
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Surprised they haven't done this to Stadia yet

    to what?

    the stadium, it's a place where the old ones used to play "games"

    they've all been abandoned, now

  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    speaking of a(n actually pretty decent) Google product line ended before its time, I dug my Nexus 7 2013 out of storage last weekend from my parents' basement, where it had been sitting for a couple years.

    for a seven year old tablet it's in pretty awesome shape - getting grand battery life and generally running smoothly. great manga/comics app reader, handy for video and podcasts too

    V1m
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I just ordered a 12. I don’t think I need the extra thingies. It went surprisingly smoothly, I think the website store opened up earlier that the apple App Store thing.

    But since I’m a capitalist pig I got the clear mag safe case and the charger thingie.

    Yes it did but I was getting more errors on the website. I was going to order the charger but it was adding an extra step to the order process so I just got the phone for now.

    Apple here at least is offering free shipping for online orders is it worth seeing if you can do a seperate one. (I assume you aren’t going in store.) Not wanting to talk down the pandemic, but we haven’t had a transmission case here is over six months but we have to pre book a time, line up, have a mask and ridiculously limited numbers in the store and I just don’t want to deal with that.

  • sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Registered User regular
    I ordered a moto g power to replace my old moto g6

    Should be a decent upgrade. $160.

    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • EchoEcho Moderator mod
    Instead of getting an iPhone 12 I decided to get the Magic Keyboard Folio for my iPad. I winced while pressing Buy because dang, that's expensive for a cover/keyboard.

    It's pretty darn great to use though. But I did hear it's a dust magnet, and people weren't lying. This is the bottom after 24 hours. It cleans up nicely with a damp cloth, but it's still annoying. I might get a vinyl skin or something for it.

    8nuvik4zoski.png

    Echo wrote: »
    Let they who have not posted about their balls in the wrong thread cast the first stone.
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited October 18
    I finally upgraded from my decade old TV to a Sony X90H, and in the process I've discovered that my currently receiver (Yamaha HTR-3065) doesn't actually support HDMI 2.0, so it looks like it's also time to revisit my audio setup.

    I'm considering going with a soundbar (as a 5.1 setup isn't really an option) and I've had my eye on the Yamaha YAS-209, as it seems to be one of the more decent ~$500 range options.

    Alternatively, would it be worth me looking into just switching out the receiver itself and keeping the existing speakers and subwoofer? They came with the unit and they sound fine I guess, but I've also been using them for 10 years so I'm probably also very accustomed to them.

    Veldrin on
  • McFodderMcFodder 'SploringRegistered User regular
    edited October 19
    Unless you've got more than 5.1 setup already, you could probably plug everything into the TV and use the receiver just for the audio side of things, sending it from the TV over HDMI via ARC or by optical cable if the TV supports it? You might lose support for a few of the super fancy audio codecs but everything else should be fine.

    A lot of people seem to be using the TV as the 'hub' of the system now that new consoles are coming out and HDMI 2.1 receivers are still thin on the ground this year.

    McFodder on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / NNID: Fodder185
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Unless you've got more than 5.1 setup already, you could probably plug everything into the TV and use the receiver just for the audio side of things, sending it from the TV over HDMI via ARC or by optical cable if the TV supports it? You might lose support for a few of the super fancy audio codecs but everything else should be fine.

    A lot of people seem to be using the TV as the 'hub' of the system now that new consoles are coming out and HDMI 2.1 receivers are still thin on the ground this year.

    Yeah I did give that setup a go with optical from the tv to the receiver, but it resulted in a huge audio lag which couldn’t be corrected.

    I haven’t given ARC a go yet, so I’ll try that tonight and see if I have better luck.

  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    ARC seems to work well enough, but it's only 2.1 capable so if you have a 5.1 setup you still need to use the receiver as the hub. Once eARC is more of a thing, that requirement will go away. The X90H will apparently get eARC in a future firmware update along with VRR and 4K120 support. I'm not sure if at that point I'll use my TV (also an X90H) as the hub or see what the availability of HDMI 2.1 receivers is - a this point my receiver does HDMI2.0 so 4K60 is fine and is all I need anyway, until I get a new PC. At which point it'll still be all I need, but HDR and VRR support would be nice.

Sign In or Register to comment.