As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    That seems a lot, my 11 lasts all day out at work with my laptop wirelessly tethered to it, and my work mail app which is all encrypted connectivity and encrypted on the phone has reported like 5% of my usage lately (though that’ll be on wifi mostly).

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry, they run self-driving cars off fucking MATLAB?

that is utter madness

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I've run into something stupid and I need to complain about it.

I'm doing a video thing, mostly for fun, and I'm doing it in Davinci Resolve because I've heard that's supposed to be the best video editing software that's available for free. There's a paid version too, but I figure I don't need any of the things exclusive to that.

Except it turns out GPU accelerated video encoding and decoding is only available in the paid version. And it just doesn't tell you that anywhere. You know how a lot of things with free and paid have charts that show the exact differences? This piece of software doesn't have one of those, so I guess you're supposed to figure out on your own that "and more" includes actually properly using the hardware.

I'm not paying 300 USD for something I want to use maybe two times per year.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Lol, I get everyone has a vision of the future but damn, man, how is anybody going to hit those keys?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Lol, I get everyone has a vision of the future but damn, man, how is anybody going to hit those keys?

it's a keyboard for ants

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My apple watch is significantly more powerful than that concept art one.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

does your apple watch take 3/5" floppy disks though?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

does your apple watch take 3/5" floppy disks though?

Get me one and I'll try.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8_VmWWRJgE

I mean, I get why it has no skin, but _it has no skin_

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

So far.

Please stay very still, no sudden movements during the harvesting.

big 2020 mood

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    You promised me flessssh.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Oh so that's what's under RMR's balaclava

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

The Pi Foundation has announced a new product, the Raspberry Pi 400. It's a compact keyboard with a variant of the Raspberry Pi 4 baked inside. They say that the board in this unit runs cooler than the bare Raspberry Pi 4 (implying some kind of heatsink) and it's also clocked slightly higher at 1.8GHz (vs 1.5), otherwise it matches the specs of a 4GB Raspberry Pi 4. $70 for the unit itself, or $100 for the unit, a mouse, HDMI cable, power supply, microSD card with Pi OS already installed, and a paper "beginners guide" book.

Cool to see them officially embracing this formfactor, I always thought that the Raspberry Pi should have ushered in a new era of computer-in-a-keyboard systems that were reminiscent of the Commodore 64/ZX Spectrum/Atari 8-bits etc.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wow that's neat!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

it's a keyboard for ants

the keyboard has to be at least......... 3 times bigger than this!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    wow that raspberry pi... absolutely rules... I don't need one........ but I want one.........

add a power supply to it and a little LCD screen, and...

ef4C4b8.jpg
    EGJ7a3c.jpg

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    I wonder if it could be powered by a USB battery pack.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I've wanted to build a R Pi deck for years but never got around to it so it's kinda nice to see them just do the work for me

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

I don't know why, but the copyright Disney marking in the bottom right just makes me laugh. Like, I hope this is a preview of the next Disney princess.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    During the current no-crowds-at-sporting-events situation in the UK, one Scottish team bought some ball recognition AI (<beavis>huh huh</beavis>) to let them automatically live stream games without needing a cameraman there.

And then the AI vision system confused a bald linesman's head with the actual ball, with results that are entertaining unless you, say, want to actually see what's going on in the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zoJP2FkpgU

(it feels weirdly like the AI has a crush on the linesman and can't stop sneaking glances at him, even when it knows it should be doing something else)

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Folks the future sucks and I hate it.

My car has a fancy touch screen and its been screeching at me for months that a software update is available, for some reason I can't get WiFi to work though. It connects, but refuses to download the update. So I did the USB stick thing. So horrary, my car software is updated and the map is updated and I got some new features but....they changed the buttons. Size, shape, location, even the color scheme (the night mode went from being black and grey to being a bright bright blinding blue) It also features my favorite thing, wasted space. The audio mode no longer has a large display showing you what station/artist/song your listening to. No no, that is now relegated to a constantly scrolling section about 4 inches wide, and the sides of it are...blank, just blank empty space.

Cool cool. Wish I could roll it back holy shit. Now I never want to use the panel in my car.

Also (double post but I don't care) theres a map update. I thought update the software would fix the WiFi problem and it did, except you can't get the map update through WiFi, you can either pay Ford $40 to send you a USB drive, pay a Ford Service Center $60 to do the update for you, or download a 15 GB file and do it manually. I'm doing it manually but whew boy this is a garbage system. And my car is a 2019 model so its only a year or so old!

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Can't wait to be an hour late for work because my car needs to restart to install updates.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry you're having a bad time, @Bucketman

My brother had a bad time with a recent model Ford... Edge, I think it was, some friends of mine have had also bad frustrating experience

On the plus side updating it fixed the Wi-Fi update problem. Unfortunately Ford also has recently moved to the next line of their Sync platform and my version will no longer be getting updates.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

My car has a fancy touch screen and its been screeching at me for months that a software update is available, for some reason I can't get WiFi to work though. It connects, but refuses to download the update. So I did the USB stick thing. So horrary, my car software is updated and the map is updated and I got some new features but....they changed the buttons. Size, shape, location, even the color scheme (the night mode went from being black and grey to being a bright bright blinding blue) It also features my favorite thing, wasted space. The audio mode no longer has a large display showing you what station/artist/song your listening to. No no, that is now relegated to a constantly scrolling section about 4 inches wide, and the sides of it are...blank, just blank empty space.

Cool cool. Wish I could roll it back holy shit. Now I never want to use the panel in my car.

Jesus fuck, night mode is BLUE?

Does nobody at Ford know even the most basic shit abut anything?

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I'm currently test driving my dad's Ford Fusion and the Bluetooth goes wonky with regularity. Apparently this is a common issue with the Sync program!

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

Jesus fuck, night mode is BLUE?

Does nobody at Ford know even the most basic shit abut anything?

Soft blue light is what you use backstage in theatres because it's unobtrusive. Blinding bright blue.. not so much.

Blue light kills your night vision, though. It's why pilots use torches with red tinted lenses for map reading and such in the cockpit.

Madican wrote: »
    I'm currently test driving my dad's Ford Fusion and the Bluetooth goes wonky with regularity. Apparently this is a common issue with the Sync program!

Yes this is a common issue, also randomly forgets devices, and won't stop playing Amazon Music through my phone when I told to stop, turned off my car, and restarted my phone, somehow the car system has permission to open apps on my damn phone

Is there a way to deactivate a google account?

I somehow have two google accounts on my phone, it's not really a big deal, but it's getting really confusing with my pictures and the archive

I somehow have two google accounts on my phone, it's not really a big deal, but it's getting really confusing with my pictures and the archive

you can remove google accounts from an android phone, it's in the accounts part of settings. just don't remove the one paired with your phone number

you can remove google accounts from an android phone, it's in the accounts part of settings. just don't remove the one paired with your phone number

That's great! How do I tell which one is paired with my phone number?

Sorry I am clueless and cannot find help elaewhere

That's great! How do I tell which one is paired with my phone number?

Sorry I am clueless and cannot find help elaewhere

I think it should be listed under "About Phone" which gmail is tied to the phone's number.

I found it, thank you.

I appreciate it
    8-)

I got one o' them mag safe iPhone chargers. When you put the phone on it, the phone displays a charge screen like the Apple Watch to let you know it is charging. It does not do this on other wireless chargers were you have to look at the battery icon to make sure it is on there right.

Kinda neat.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my fancy raspberry pi keyboard kit has shipped! i... dont know what i will do with it.

something... computer-y....

This discussion has been closed.