As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    Honestly if the choice was pay them $3000 or let them email a video of me cranking it to my contacts, fuck it send the email, I'll just warn them

"Warn" them

"Your holiday gift this year will include something extra special. Keep an eye on your email!"

e: well this sure was a totp

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    My best friend would 100% watch the video while messaging me with commentary I know her too well.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Google and some other sites also have a section to tell you about compromised passwords for different sites. They are periodically harvesting that data.

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    The execs at work keep getting that scam email. But whatever scammers are using have broken their template so all the variables that are supposed to be tied to you are still just variable names.

And yet the execs still ask if they should be concerned.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    The execs at work keep getting that scam email. But whatever scammers are using have broken their template so all the variables that are supposed to be tied to you are still just variable names.

Thats a level of telling on yourself I hope I never have to hear from my bosses.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »

Thats a level of telling on yourself I hope I never have to hear from my bosses.

I remember when the company that issued our RSA keys were compromised because the CEO of that company couldn't be bothered to use 2FA and got got by an email phishing attempt.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Phasen wrote: »

The first time I was explaining and pointing that out the ceo only responded to tell me he didn't go to those kinds of sites.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    yeah it's not exactly random but they're basically hoping they hit the right combo of email address/password/blackmail scenario to freak you out. The motherload they're aiming for would be someone who isn't very tech savvy, reuses passwords a lot, and whacks it to very weird or illegal shit.

how dare you describe me in such an accurate way

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I've gotten one of those emails before. Just ignored it because on the off-chance they did get a video they don't have anyone to send it to when I have no contact with anyone online that can be traced to a physical person. No Facebook to scour for connections.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    No idea how they'd get a list of contacts to send to being as I don't sync contacts between platforms. Good luck suckers.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    literally all they ever have in that scam is your email address and an old password associated with the email on some site that got breached a long time ago, everything else is a shot in the dark to see if they can spook you into sending bitcoin.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ashcroft wrote: »
    OK weird question. I just got a scam email (one of those 'we have a video of you cranking it send bitcoin' ones). I don't even have a webcam so I'm not worrried about that. But, the email had a password in it. The password is to a site I have not been to in years. So long ago that I don't even have the log in saved on this PC. And it's to my email that I used on that site. It's not a password I use anywhere else, and the email address doesn't come up on have I been pwned. But I'm just worried because how would anyone have this very old password?

Database leaks. Check https://haveibeenpwned.com to see how goddamn many sites have leaked your shit. (Yes, that site is safe to use.)

tl;dr database leak -> your username/password for some random site is known -> emails like these, and also credential stuffing, ie attackers will try those credentials on other high-value targets (Gmail, Hotmail, Facebook etc) to see if you were a silly person that reuses passwords.

Don't be a silly person that reuses passwords. Use a password manager. I <3 1Password.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    yeah it's not exactly random but they're basically hoping they hit the right combo of email address/password/blackmail scenario to freak you out. The motherload they're aiming for would be someone who isn't very tech savvy, reuses passwords a lot, and whacks it to very weird or illegal shit.
    I will say once I got one of those e-mails in the same situation (defunct password on an old site), and a week or so after ignoring it, my spam inbox traffic increased 10,000-fold. Like, hundreds of e-mails for everything under the sun per day.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I mean I know someone who was scammed out of several thousand dollars and I would describe them as tech savvy. Most of these things when explained at a distance, looks like a scam, but everyone so often everyone is just a tiny bit vulnerable and if you make them feel scared then they can be taken advantage of.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

I mean I know someone who was scammed out of several thousand dollars and I would describe them as tech savvy. Most of these things when explained at a distance, looks like a scam, but everyone so often everyone is just a tiny bit vulnerable and if you make them feel scared then they can be taken advantage of.

Yep, especially if they manage to get you on the phone and they sound very confident and official, and claim to be from the tax office. That's why they're called CONfidence men.

Almost nobody knows how that shit actually works in practice, you just fill out your forms to the best of your ability and hope you don't get audited and end up owing the government a shitload of money. Then someone who sounds authoritative rings you up and claims they're from the government and you're in deep shit and you're about to be arrested for tax evasion?

Even the smartest people on Earth could get stung by that if they're not having a good day.

• Options
    Cable Company is probably going to run cable to my house next month. Oh god please. To get off of Satellite would be SO nice. I'm a half mile off the road, but there are power poles they could run off of. They are looking into it right now.

• Options
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

BRB, doing some SEO to inject code into this.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sorce wrote: »
    I will say once I got one of those e-mails in the same situation (defunct password on an old site), and a week or so after ignoring it, my spam inbox traffic increased 10,000-fold. Like, hundreds of e-mails for everything under the sun per day.

Which is really annoying because I used to check my spam folder on a semi regular basis just in case anything important got tossed in there, but now it's impossible unless I want to wade through hundreds every day.

Also, fun fact: the password that those scammers revealed to me was the very password I was using here up until Tube made us all redo our passwords a while back.

It was the password I used for a all my semi-anonymous forum accounts which is probably where they got it in the first place.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »

Which is really annoying because I used to check my spam folder on a semi regular basis just in case anything important got tossed in there, but now it's impossible unless I want to wade through hundreds every day.

Also, fun fact: the password that those scammers revealed to me was the very password I was using here up until Tube made us all redo our passwords a while back.

It was the password I used for a all my semi-anonymous forum accounts which is probably where they got it in the first place.

I spent a couple of months or so unsubbing and block/reporting all of that garbage before it became manageable again.

sig.gif
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Who's idea was it to hide away the old windows sound control panel in windows 10? It takes like 6 clicks to find now.

Is a really big pain in the ass for people with more than one input or output to use the weird windows 10 methods of switching and handling default devices and such.

And it isn't like I've got a ton of stuff. Just headphones on the front jack and speakers over optical, and a microphone on the front jack, turntable on line in, and now a Webcam I just had to disable the mic on which took way longer than it should have.

It's just windows ten doesn't surface a good name for each device in its new stuff so it's way more useful to have the old sound control panel that's been around since at least xp so you can tell what each device is what. They just buried it for no reason.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    You can get to a lot of places you need to go more quickly via Windows Key+x

I am also not a fan of how Windows 10 lays that stuff out, though. I don't appreciate it calling things Apps.

• Options
    I just click on my volume button in the tray and select my playback device when switching devices.

2seryme4iun8.png

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Mine aren't named that clearly both the front 3.5 jack and rear optical jack are basically named the same thing

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    It's kind of impressive how much worse the win10 settings are than the control panel.

Sometimes they add a useful new setting (like being able to set sound device per program), but the UI is just bad.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Peewi wrote: »
    It's kind of impressive how much worse the win10 settings are than the control panel.

Sometimes they add a useful new setting (like being able to set sound device per program), but the UI is just bad.

it's just so... all over the place

like they have some settings panels that go back to like... windows 95 UI

and everything that gets updated just feel like it's put in some random place

Brolo on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Mine aren't named that clearly both the front 3.5 jack and rear optical jack are basically named the same thing

If you right-click the speaker and go to sound settings, select the audio device from the drop-down, and then click "Device Properties" which is a fucking hyperlink instead of a button, you can change the name.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Give Ear Trumpet a try. It'll replace the stock Windows volume control icon (which you can then hide/disable) with one that'll allow you to easily set volume levels for all programs and switch between devices.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Give Ear Trumpet a try. It'll replace the stock Windows volume control icon (which you can then hide/disable) with one that'll allow you to easily set volume levels for all programs and switch between devices.

Somewhat related, I use SoundSwitch to quickly switch between audio sources so I can jump from speakers to headphones with a single shortcut.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Cormac wrote: »

oh radical!

Also I totally didn't realize you can rename the devices, somehow my eyes glazed right past that being an option in the legacy window...

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    From a pro-audio point of view I've heard nothing but bad things about Big Sur. It took months to be usable with pro tools and the latest update bricked it again.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    EarTrumpet is a thing y'all can use in windows to redirect individual programs to different devices too. It works at least 90% of the time (some programs don't play well with it, especially older ones). Not that anyone is really looking for it but it's an audio thing I always recommend.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    I'm unable to make any progress on my Haskell project in Big Sur too. Tempted to install a dual-boot into Linux to work around that.

I should remember the rule: never use a new major OS version in the first six months.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    I miss icons with colors
    bowen wrote: »
    EarTrumpet is a thing y'all can use in windows to redirect individual programs to different devices too. It works at least 90% of the time (some programs don't play well with it, especially older ones). Not that anyone is really looking for it but it's an audio thing I always recommend.

Windows 10 can do that on its own these days. Scroll down to the bottom of sound settings and click "app volume and device preferences".

For some reason I thought that the old control panel had been removed from Windows 10 in an update once they had everything in the settings app, but it turns out it's still there and usable.

Peewi on
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Honestly this seems par for the course, I have been in proximity to Big Sur four times in my life, and I've never been able to visit because each time a mudslide had taken out the road to get there.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah make sure you have the
    Sound Settings
    Sound Mixer Options
    Manage Sound devices
    App Volume and Device Preferences

All open when you try to config this shit. Windows does have options for most of the things you could want, but they spread it out.

Also be really wary of the Discord setting "Attenuation"
    That turns down the volume of App X by % when someone (or you) talks. But it's programmed pretty shabbily, so it will often just keep adding on those percentages, until your browser is at 3% and you have no clue why.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Seol wrote: »
    I'm unable to make any progress on my Haskell project in Big Sur too. Tempted to install a dual-boot into Linux to work around that.

I should remember the rule: never use a new major OS version in the first six months.

I'll have a hard time doing Go development until February when Go 1.16 hits with official Apple Silicon support. Right now I've shoehorned in some beta/preview versions of Go and Docker compiled for M1.

Also I kind of dislike writing "Apple Silicon". Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

• Options
    Russia Hacked the USA - What They're Not Telling You [17:57]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UUV9kkCb-w

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.