As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I missed 45 minutes of a meeting this morning because my phone alarm didn't go off. Not the first time this has happened - often the alarm app crashes overnight, sometimes the phone just turns itself off, but this is the first time where the phone was alive, the app was running, but it just ... didn't trigger. And for the past 24 hours every time I unlocked it it popped up with a spanish-language news site that I've never been to before. I ran a malware check but I think this might actually be a genuine bug.

Anyway this thing has been dying for 18 months now, it's a complete crapshoot whether any particular app will actually open or not. Sometimes I need to put it down and do something else for ten minutes while it struggles. So after about a year of procrastinating I finally bought a new phone - nobody except for very dubious looking resellers stocks the Pixel 3A any more, which was gonna be my upgrade, but Google was offering $100 off the Moto G Power and while it doesn't look like the most amazing phone ever, all the reviews praised its battery life, which is the thing I'm most interested in anyway. Well, that and not crashing every eight seconds. Honestly right now anything would be an improvement over my current device.

In the meantime I'm gonna have to figure out a backup alarm system, because I have several 7am meetings this week. I don't know why I'm posting in here except it's tech related and the spontaneous news website thing is fucking weird.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I have not been impressed with my Pixel 3 XL's battery life, and now the wifi antenna is dead and the USB-C port is going out, not three months after the warranty period ended

I basically just want a phone that works on Google Fi (since that's what I'm in a family plan on), has IP67 or 68 durability, and doesn't cost a gazillion dollars

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I missed 45 minutes of a meeting this morning because my phone alarm didn't go off. Not the first time this has happened - often the alarm app crashes overnight, sometimes the phone just turns itself off, but this is the first time where the phone was alive, the app was running, but it just ... didn't trigger. And for the past 24 hours every time I unlocked it it popped up with a spanish-language news site that I've never been to before. I ran a malware check but I think this might actually be a genuine bug.

Anyway this thing has been dying for 18 months now, it's a complete crapshoot whether any particular app will actually open or not. Sometimes I need to put it down and do something else for ten minutes while it struggles. So after about a year of procrastinating I finally bought a new phone - nobody except for very dubious looking resellers stocks the Pixel 3A any more, which was gonna be my upgrade, but Google was offering $100 off the Moto G Power and while it doesn't look like the most amazing phone ever, all the reviews praised its battery life, which is the thing I'm most interested in anyway. Well, that and not crashing every eight seconds. Honestly right now anything would be an improvement over my current device.

In the meantime I'm gonna have to figure out a backup alarm system, because I have several 7am meetings this week. I don't know why I'm posting in here except it's tech related and the spontaneous news website thing is fucking weird.

I have a Moto g power! It lasts like two+ days on a charge! It is otherwise thoroughly unexceptional but I've loved it for that.

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I have not been impressed with my Pixel 3 XL's battery life, and now the wifi antenna is dead and the USB-C port is going out, not three months after the warranty period ended

I basically just want a phone that works on Google Fi (since that's what I'm in a family plan on), has IP67 or 68 durability, and doesn't cost a gazillion dollars

yeah that's why I went with the Moto - I need to be on Fi so I don't lose sim cards every time I travel, and I don't want to spend $texas. Spec wise I don't expect this to blow me out of the park but like I said my Nexus is now completely unusable, so pretty much anything has to be an upgrade.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    You can use almost any phone on the Fi network but you do lose out on some features that may or may not be that important to you. I've been using a Oneplus 5T on Fi for almost three years and since I have good T-Mobile coverage (which it defaults to) in my area it's been fine. I don't have the T-Mobile/Sprint/WiFi switching and the Google Phone app with it's built in spam filtering. There may be some other things added in the three years since I stopped using a Nexus 5X, so it may be a case of I don't know what I'm missing.

International travel isn't going to be a thing for the foreseeable future, but last year I was in Japan for a few weeks and my phone connected with any issues after a restart.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    You can use almost any phone on the Fi network but you do lose out on some features that may or may not be that important to you. I've been using a Oneplus 5T on Fi for almost three years and since I have good T-Mobile coverage (which it defaults to) in my area it's been fine. I don't have the T-Mobile/Sprint/WiFi switching and the Google Phone app with it's built in spam filtering. There may be some other things added in the three years since I stopped using a Nexus 5X, so it may be a case of I don't know what I'm missing.

International travel isn't going to be a thing for the foreseeable future, but last year I was in Japan for a few weeks and my phone connected with any issues after a restart.

Yeah I've been on Fi almost since they started because I travel a lot and it's often a pain getting a sim sorted, so I'm pretty familiar with their teleconnection ecosystem. I do know they support a bunch of other phones now, I just want to make sure everything runs smoothly and also I don't want to spend a lot of cash, so Pixel was my first choice with Moto as the backup, since Fi offered it straight up without having to go through a third-party dealer.

Also I'm not American so while casual travel may be off the cards, there is a good chance I will be heading to my home country at some point (with requisite quarantine stay), so it's a major factor in my phone purchase decisions.

• Options
    Cormac wrote: »

Yeah I've been on Fi almost since they started because I travel a lot and it's often a pain getting a sim sorted, so I'm pretty familiar with their teleconnection ecosystem. I do know they support a bunch of other phones now, I just want to make sure everything runs smoothly and also I don't want to spend a lot of cash, so Pixel was my first choice with Moto as the backup, since Fi offered it straight up without having to go through a third-party dealer.

Also I'm not American so while casual travel may be off the cards, there is a good chance I will be heading to my home country at some point (with requisite quarantine stay), so it's a major factor in my phone purchase decisions.

Sorry, I was up and down from my desk a few times while typing that and should have quoted Mortal Sky. My post was in reference to his situation more than yours.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    My 2016 samsung s7 active is starting to really show its age, so I'm right on the edge of replacing it.

I'm still researching what new phone to get because I don't really follow smart-phone technology. I don't care about taking photos/videos, I won't buy an Apple product, and I'd prefer if it had a headphone jack.

So, I'm still hunting.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    The headphone jack is really the white whale now, I do not understand why phone makers are so allergic to it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Moto's G and E lines, in addition to being cheap and nice, pretty much all have headphone jacks! They're the best cheap phones around, IMHO.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Rabbits are very rough pets to have for various reasons. Anyway my headset cord dangled a little too low tonight and now I need a new one.

Any recommendations?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh no the nibbles

I've been using this pair of sennheisers: https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/gaming/products/game-zero-black-gaming-headset-506079
    which I now see are $180, jesus. My friend bought them for me because he's a nice person and I didn't realize they were expensive. Well they work pretty well at least.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Whoops

Madican on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    My 2016 samsung s7 active is starting to really show its age, so I'm right on the edge of replacing it.

I'm still researching what new phone to get because I don't really follow smart-phone technology. I don't care about taking photos/videos, I won't buy an Apple product, and I'd prefer if it had a headphone jack.

So, I'm still hunting.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_au/nokia-7-2

Headphone jack included.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Can you get yourself a cheap alarm clock that's just an alarm clock? Something that plugs into the wall but also has a battery backup?

I used to have to use one when I was a diesel mechanic and needed to be at work by 8 a.m.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I have a Nokia 7.2 and I hate it.

• Options

Can you get yourself a cheap alarm clock that's just an alarm clock? Something that plugs into the wall but also has a battery backup?

I used to have to use one when I was a diesel mechanic and needed to be at work by 8 a.m.

Yeah but it’s another bit of electronic bullshit lying around, I hate that.
    Plus once I get a phone that works I won’t need it.

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »

Why?

My 8 is the best phone I've ever owned.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular

Why?

I should say first that my previous phone was a Nokia 7 Plus and that was great until the camera exploded.

The 7.2 just feels bad to hold, it's slippery in a way that I never feel like I have a good grip on it and it's very awkward to hold in one handed situations.

The touchscreen seems to think that the slightest touch is an excuse to unlock the phone, open three apps and send a bizarre message to my mother.

The fingerprint reader is very inconsistent causing problems with payments, passwords etc.

And since the Android 10 update it's developed a habit of not waking up which can only be fixed by power cycling the phone.

Maybe I just got a bad unit, but I bought this phone in December and I'm already looking at getting a new phone.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Well I mean, your phone is just trying to help out.

You should talk to your mother more.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I wouldn't recommend USB-C to headphone adapters as a compromise. I have tried two or three different kinds and they are trash. Either stick to models with a native jack or move on to bluetooth. Can't recommend Anker bluetooth products enough

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I hate how fast Bluetooth kills the battery on my Samsung phone.

Lucky my model still has a jack.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend USB-C to headphone adapters as a compromise. I have tried two or three different kinds and they are trash. Either stick to models with a native jack or move on to bluetooth. Can't recommend Anker bluetooth products enough

Yeah, I had a Pixel 3 for about 2 weeks before it stopped recognizing the included USB-C to 3.5 adapter, got a replacement from Google and it didn't work either. All of my headphones were wired, so I just sold the phone and bought a Samsung with a headphone jack.

I might be willing to get a phone without a 3.5 jack, but I'd need to invest in a decent pair of BT headphones first.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    My go-to weather app got bought by Apple and is going to go exclusive beginning in August, what should a non-iPhone user use to peruse the weather?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Sorry, you may only look out the window now.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    I'm actually mostly interested in pollen counts, general air quality, and the uv index for sorting out when/where to do hikes and long dog walks (ugh, I'm an old now).

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Blake T wrote: »
    Sorry, you may only look out the window now.

Unfortunately, the Windows are Microsoft exclusive so it's going to cost you $39.99 per year

godmode on
  • Options

Why?

I should say first that my previous phone was a Nokia 7 Plus and that was great until the camera exploded.

The 7.2 just feels bad to hold, it's slippery in a way that I never feel like I have a good grip on it and it's very awkward to hold in one handed situations.

The touchscreen seems to think that the slightest touch is an excuse to unlock the phone, open three apps and send a bizarre message to my mother.

The fingerprint reader is very inconsistent causing problems with payments, passwords etc.

And since the Android 10 update it's developed a habit of not waking up which can only be fixed by power cycling the phone.

Maybe I just got a bad unit, but I bought this phone in December and I'm already looking at getting a new phone.

Hmm yeah that all fucking sucks.

I will admit that if I'm working and I put my phone in my pocket with the screen facing my leg, when I get sweaty sometimes my leg unlocks my phone, so I just have the screen facing out.

I had a folio cover for it that prevented that from happening, but it makes the phone so gigantic and unwieldy I gave up on it and just go (phone) commando.

• Options
    user wrote: »
    My go-to weather app got bought by Apple and is going to go exclusive beginning in August, what should a non-iPhone user use to peruse the weather?

Today Weather has been good replacement. Nice layout and good widget options. Yr ha also been popular but I personally preferred Today.

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I've been trying to decouple from Google, Apple, and Microsoft due to privacy, Are there any phones that work outside of those ecosystems? I'm ok with less features.

I'm considering PinePhone

Or would it be better to root the android I have?

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Will I be able to replace my Pixel, which received its last security update in December, though? Of course not. The software has got a long, long way to go before the PinePhone can be reliably used as a day-to-day driver. As you’ll be warned when downloading any mobile Linux OS, these distributions are in a beta state and should really only be used for testing purposes. While I suppose if you only use your phone for texting, you could probably get away with Ubuntu Touch, but even then, if your car breaks down and you need to call AAA, you’re going to be stuck.

Give it by the end of this year, though, and I think the software will be at a point where most Linux users will be comfortable using it — for texting, calling, and using any Android apps that a lot of us depend on. One thing I like to keep in mind too, is that most of these distributions are being developed by volunteers who generously give their coding time to these. So, they don’t have the financial backing of bigger corporations.

https://boilingsteam.com/the-pinephone-can-it-replace-your-smartphone/

I'm not sure the pine is anywhere near an acceptable experience as a phone for the general public

If you've ever rolled your own kernel/drivers, I guess it might be okay? I used to do a lot more hacking with Cyanogen modding, but honestly it meant I spent way more time hacking/fixing than actually using it, and I need my phone too much these days to have something that doesn't work reliably.

At some point I just accepted that as someone who wasn't particularly interesting, my privacy wasn't as important as general day-to-day convenience.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I think my airpods may be dying. They are both now having issues actually connecting to the case to charge. I have to wiggle them around before the case starts charging them and they randomly stop charging. I've tried cleaning the contacts inside the case but they are hard to get to, I've only been able to use a q-tip.

Anyone have a good wireless alternative to airpods?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    Will I be able to replace my Pixel, which received its last security update in December, though? Of course not. The software has got a long, long way to go before the PinePhone can be reliably used as a day-to-day driver. As you’ll be warned when downloading any mobile Linux OS, these distributions are in a beta state and should really only be used for testing purposes. While I suppose if you only use your phone for texting, you could probably get away with Ubuntu Touch, but even then, if your car breaks down and you need to call AAA, you’re going to be stuck.

Give it by the end of this year, though, and I think the software will be at a point where most Linux users will be comfortable using it — for texting, calling, and using any Android apps that a lot of us depend on. One thing I like to keep in mind too, is that most of these distributions are being developed by volunteers who generously give their coding time to these. So, they don’t have the financial backing of bigger corporations.

https://boilingsteam.com/the-pinephone-can-it-replace-your-smartphone/

I'm not sure the pine is anywhere near an acceptable experience as a phone for the general public

If you've ever rolled your own kernel/drivers, I guess it might be okay? I used to do a lot more hacking with Cyanogen modding, but honestly it meant I spent way more time hacking/fixing than actually using it, and I need my phone too much these days to have something that doesn't work reliably.

At some point I just accepted that as someone who wasn't particularly interesting, my privacy wasn't as important as general day-to-day convenience.

I read the same review and was hoping someone had a better option. There's the librem 5 but it seems to have similar issues with a bigger price tag.

As far as privacy and not being particularly interesting, I thought that before these protests and where the US appears to be heading.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    You can do a lot even on conventional Android just by rooting, or even disabling certain app permissions, if you're on something non-rootable like a Samsung

• Options
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    You can do a lot even on conventional Android just by rooting, or even disabling certain app permissions, if you're on something non-rootable like a Samsung

Rooting may be the best option. This phone is on its last leg and hopefully theres something new on the horizon. I just want a phone that calls texts, browses the web, and takes good pictures.

• Options
    as an australian I'm having a lot of trouble with this latest series of posts.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    lypuz702hyrq.gif

We have to go back!

Phasen on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    as an australian I'm having a lot of trouble with this latest series of posts.

Today I discovered that Americans call a stubby holder a "coozie" as though that isn't already another word for snorch.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    they called a what a what

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    A beer coozie?

I always thought those were kinda silly, imo. But I don't like beer much too be drinking at like a cookout or anything.

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.