As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] Most of the time it's not actively trying to kill you

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5G Review 11:41
    https://youtu.be/Ji63be1v-OU

Apparently the first gen came out 6 months ago? Guess it must suck for early adopters lol

Also couldn't they have delayed the previous gen and released this one instead, seems like a huge waste of money and resources to churn out products which becomes obsolete in under a year

Peas on
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

Apparently the first gen came out 6 months ago? Guess it must suck for early adopters lol

Also couldn't they have delayed the previous gen and released this one instead, seems like a huge waste of money and resources to churn out products which becomes obsolete in under a year

I think this is one of those instances were early adopters acted as both beta testers and showed there was a big enough market to bother refining the tech. It still sucks for those people but honestly they should have known that going in.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I imagine the train noise was less of a problem back when that part of town was all factories and warehouses and no residences before the redevelopment started as industry thinned out

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I imagine the train noise was less of a problem back when that part of town was all factories and warehouses and no residences before the redevelopment started as industry thinned out

Absolutely. It's now a combo of light industry (breweries, mostly), older residential homes which are mostly owned by BIPOC (who were gradually pushed to the less desirable areas of the city), large homeless encampments, and new gentrification developments (hi that's me, I'm part of the problem!).

The tracks kill literally dozens of homeless people every year, but making them safer would be expensive, so they mandate extra honking to try and keep those numbers down. Residents get noise pollution, train drivers get paranoid, while most of the homeless who spend a lot of time on or near the tracks get so used to the sound they don't even notice it (we've had a couple of people nearly cleaned up who said "oh we just tune that out now"), so it still doesn't really solve the issue.

That said if COVID hadn't trapped us all at home for five months, it would probably be more bearable. I can cope with a train interrupting Netflix while I futz around in the evenings way better than when it's interrupting work meetings.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

Not if your business model is planned obsolescence.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I think the speaker on my iPhone XS is blown. I've tried cleaning it out with paintbrushes and canned air and all, and my audiobooks still sound like they're being played through a dented phonograph with a bat stuck in the horn. I don't suppose this is an Apple Care kind of situation?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

Yes, this is a sculpture and not working tech of any kind. I'm just hoping tynic can tell us she knows someone who is working on tech like this because I, for one, am ready to welcome our Gorilla Apocalypse robot overlords.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Oh yeah. You want Compagnie La Machine or Survival Research Labs. Both very awesome, very crazy shit.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    oh no, beast machines are back

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

Beast Machines ARE actually going to be back soon judging from the next wave of Transformer toys.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »

trukk not monkey

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Well, that’s just Prime.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    My windows forced an update, and now when I display through my TV, it starts nice and bright as per my usual settings and then windows decides it needs to dim it way the fuck down. It has never done this before. When I google about how to change windows dimming settings, I find information about "auto dimming". I have zero settings that I can find anywhere regarding auto dimming. I can find ZERO settings at all about any kind of dimming.

This is maddening. Fucking infuriating. When I adjust the brightness on my TV, windows somehow notices it, and jacks the brightness up to previous levels.... then dims it right the fuck back down

mmmmmmmmmmmasdl;kjjfrha;lskedjirhtaq;wloeoijktha;wslkjidergbhnt

Al_wat on
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    That's weird. If you search for 'brightness' in the start menu you should get to the brightness settings that has a tickbox for 'change brightness automatically' - but if the computer has no light sensor then it's weird that it'd be doing that.

• Options
    Yeah i have no light sensors! it is extremely weird.

I looked at my TV's settings and somehow switching it from "standard" to "dynamic" mode (whatever the hell those do) stopped the auto dimming. But now it just doesn't look right. I mean, its as least bright, but the colours and everything are "off".

even the font on these forums somehow looks strange now

like have I had a stroke, what the fuck is going on

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Thinking about getting a new 55" TV for the living room soon

I haven't bought a TV since 2012, so anything I should be looking out for in particular? I'd imagine my budget would be solidly mid-range stuff.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I don’t know, TVs change whatever technology so quickly it’s hard to know what buzz words they are using to convince you to buy them. Make sure they have lots of q-particles I guess.

My actual advice is that I like my Samsung Tv cause it has this neat minimalist remote that is way better than any remote I’ve used before, so when you are shopping ask to see their remotes as well.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I dunno, if I was shopping for a new telly now, I'd be pretty keen on OLED, and also HDR. So you're going to want to look into which OLED panels with HDR have the best resistance to burn-in in your budget range, then check to see which ones have the best user interface in stores.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And they're all going to be some variation of "Smart", but it's up to you if you want to connect it to your network or not. Less ads/telemetry gets downloaded/collected if you don't.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. Good point that reminds me that an update added ads into my Samsung. So I wouldn’t recommend them due to that.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Welp, I had no idea there were like 5 different HDR variants now

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    rtings.com has good testing and their guides are generally aligned with what I would tell you to get.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Oh yeah. Good point that reminds me that an update added ads into my Samsung. So I wouldn’t recommend them due to that.
    PiHole helps.

sig.gif
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

I looked at my TV's settings and somehow switching it from "standard" to "dynamic" mode (whatever the hell those do) stopped the auto dimming. But now it just doesn't look right. I mean, its as least bright, but the colours and everything are "off".

Make sure the color controls on the computer are set properly. In Nvidia Control Panel, under Change resolution you want to set the Output dynamic range to full.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    iguanacus wrote: »

Make sure the color controls on the computer are set properly. In Nvidia Control Panel, under Change resolution you want to set the Output dynamic range to full.

It doesn't even allow me to change that setting to "Full". "Limited" is the only option it even allows me.

Also somehow, just now I turned on my TV and windows defaulted to outputting at 25 Hz. I had to manually change it back to 60 Hz, despite having done this yesterday!

edit:

okay, so when I set it to "RGB" it allows me to put output dynamic range to full, but then it looks fucked until I turn my TV off "dynamic" and back to "standard" (I still have no idea what the hell those even do or mean), and then it does the whole dimming thing all over again. (It also looks really washed out). Previously, before these troubles I had it set to "422". When I change it back to "422" it looks normal again.

I don't know man. I don't know.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Thinking about getting a new 55" TV for the living room soon

I haven't bought a TV since 2012, so anything I should be looking out for in particular? I'd imagine my budget would be solidly mid-range stuff.

Head over to Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern and post in the TV thread that's stickied at the top there. There are a few people with good knowledge who are plenty happy to advise specific models/features/whatever based on budget and whatever else needs to be accounted for. Shadowfire in particular is super helpful, and he does a lot of work with tvs professionally so he sees way more of the good and the bad of various models and brands than most of us here ever will.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    fuckin' love the extremely competent and tech savvy banking industry in this country

When I left my previous job I had a few k in a vanguard 401k, whatever I'll deal with it later
    my new job also uses Vanguard for their retirement shit
    now my old job wants to change all their retirement plans to a different money management firm, I'm like "well I should probably roll that over anyways, so let me move it to my current retirement account. This should be easy as it is with the exact same institution"
    so I go to the vanguard "i have changed jobs plz guide me through this bullshit" intranet thing
    and they're like
    "Rollover to an IRA or transfer to a different institution?"
    and I'm like, "neither, transfer to a different account in the SAME institution"
    and they're like "beep boop does not compute"
    and after poking around I'm like ... ah, ok. you guys are going to make me tell you to cut a cheque and mail it out to yourselves*. Aren't you. Yes, they are.

This is emblematic of the US banking industry.

*there is an option to do it through an e-transfer, which is how i will actually proceed. I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to prove to the new institution (vanguard) that I am authorised to move money from the old institution (also vanguard). Meanwhile I'm looking at both accounts in my drop down list thinking "surely you could just implement a 'consolidate accounts' method, this really can't be that unusual a situation."

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    fuckin' love the extremely competent and tech savvy banking industry in this country

When I left my previous job I had a few k in a vanguard 401k, whatever I'll deal with it later
    my new job also uses Vanguard for their retirement shit
    now my old job wants to change all their retirement plans to a different money management firm, I'm like "well I should probably roll that over anyways, so let me move it to my current retirement account. This should be easy as it is with the exact same institution"
    so I go to the vanguard "i have changed jobs plz guide me through this bullshit" intranet thing
    and they're like
    "Rollover to an IRA or transfer to a different institution?"
    and I'm like, "neither, transfer to a different account in the SAME institution"
    and they're like "beep boop does not compute"
    and after poking around I'm like ... ah, ok. you guys are going to make me tell you to cut a cheque and mail it out to yourselves*. Aren't you. Yes, they are.

This is emblematic of the US banking industry.

*there is an option to do it through an e-transfer, which is how i will actually proceed. I have to jump through a bunch of hoops to prove to the new institution (vanguard) that I am authorised to move money from the old institution (also vanguard). Meanwhile I'm looking at both accounts in my drop down list thinking "surely you could just implement a 'consolidate accounts' method, this really can't be that unusual a situation."

system is working as designed

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    And somewhere in that they charge a transaction fee to someone

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    And somewhere in that they charge a transaction fee to someone

Quite possibly even to themselves!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Why make it easy to access your money when they can make it difficult enough that you either delay doing it until you forget or you just straight up give up and they get to keep it?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    One of the things I have learned from this forum is how insanely outdated everything involving money is here in the US. I think if more of the country knew just how good other countries have it there might be a possibility for change. Of course there banks would probably fight against it since it would require them to spend money, just to make it easier for us to use our money instead of letting them keep it.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Yea the only reason we can do things like consolidate our superannuation (like a 401k) easily is because of strict government regulations. Same for other 'ease for consumer' things. Else our banks and other financials would be the same as yours.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Matter of fact, if your superannuation account does become "inactive", the company is required to hand your money over to the government, and they track you down with your name and tax file number (our version of an SSN) and nag you about putting it into an active account.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular

"dynamic" mode often increases the sharpness and contrast, which often looks weird with text. Maybe you can adjust the mode a bit in the TV's settings?

For Windows, maybe you can find some more settings throgh the Windows Master Control Panel shortcut

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Look at Chip cards and readers for an excellent example of banking being pulled kicking and screaming into the next level. The US government had to delay the "must be ready to go by" date like four times because vendors and banks decided they didn't want to.

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

"dynamic" mode often increases the sharpness and contrast, which often looks weird with text. Maybe you can adjust the mode a bit in the TV's settings?

For Windows, maybe you can find some more settings throgh the Windows Master Control Panel shortcut

You could also see if you can relabel the pc input to Game or PC. For a lot of tvs that disables a bunch of the processing on the set, lowers input lag and lets you get RGB or 4:4:4 color. If it's one from the last couple years check and see if RTings has a review/settings guide.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Look at Chip cards and readers for an excellent example of banking being pulled kicking and screaming into the next level. The US government had to delay the "must be ready to go by" date like four times because vendors and banks decided they didn't want to.

It's not a government thing, it's Visa and Mastercard. They control the adoption of EMV and other techs by changing their transaction fees based on swipe vs chip vs whatever.

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular

This is pure madness. The entire Scots language version of Wikipedia is a fake, created by some rando racist in the US.

This discussion has been closed.