Black Lives Matter Thread 4

134689100

Posts

  • Kayne Red RobeKayne Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 11
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    build up toxin tolerance by being somewhat aware of politics in the united states (and elsewhere) for your whole life

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Kristmas KthulhuMidniteSkeithHacksawMortal SkyshoeboxjeddyMatevCouscousOlivawOmnomnomPancakeRhesus PositivePwnanObrienWeedLordVegetaDyvim Tvar
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    This is off-topic but I wanted to talk about it somewhere, so copying from the D&D BLM thread:
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Society would fall apart if juries had social workers, lawyers, and scientists on them, surely
    In a way, yes, it would.
    It would be replaced by a new, better, society, but the society as is would not work if you allowed smart, thoughtful, empathic, people who pay attention into juries.
    I mean, they might find police to be untrustworthy, or point out how flimsy the evidence is.
    And societal order as it exists now kinda depends on that not happening.

    I just spent the morning in a virtual version of an escape room which was basically a jury deliberation room. Strong spoilers below: if you think you'd ever be interested in playing this kind of game, do not read! But do feel free to ask me for a link, it's a pretty good way to do a remote game night!
    We had access to a bunch of evidence, and could interview the defendant, and had to decide on the verdict amongst ourselves. Everyone involved was either an academic, a psychologist, or an MD, so we took a pretty analytical approach I guess? We figured out in due course that the defendent was likely innocent of two charges, was probably guilty of the third most serious charge (murder), BUT also the police and crown prosecution had done an horrendously lax job with the investigation, plus there was evidence of some involvement in the case by a high up official in the Ministry of Justice, and he hadn't even been called in for questioning.

    So given the lack of material evidence, plus a bunch of procedural problems, we voted to acquit even though we were all pretty much convinced he was guilty of murder, because the framing leant so heavily on the trappings of the real court system. So I was very comfortable with the way we voted - a guilty verdict really needed to have an extremely heavy burden of proof attached. And I know that, since it was a game, we could have condemned the guy and it would have been NBD, but it seemed like our process was the bare minimum for the way the game should be played, let alone if someone's life was actually on the line.

    Anyway I guess the point is, we talked to the game designers afterwards, and they told us we were pretty much the only group to uncover all the evidence*, but also one of the few not to convict the defendant. Every other jury who voted to convict on the murder did so based on not much more than gut feeling. And yeah it's just a game, but ...

    *(apparently the only way to 'win' the game with any real proof of his guilt was to push the defendant really hard till he broke down and admitted it - we soft-balled him a little in the cross-questioning)

    This sounds like the perfect scenario for jury nullification, which is essentially where the jury declares the defendant to be guilty but votes to acquit regardless for whatever reason. It's the sort of thing where knowledge of it alone can get you booted from voir dire.

    camo_sig2.png
    PSN: AuthorFrost
    mageofstorm.png
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited July 12
    Madican wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    This is off-topic but I wanted to talk about it somewhere, so copying from the D&D BLM thread:
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Society would fall apart if juries had social workers, lawyers, and scientists on them, surely
    In a way, yes, it would.
    It would be replaced by a new, better, society, but the society as is would not work if you allowed smart, thoughtful, empathic, people who pay attention into juries.
    I mean, they might find police to be untrustworthy, or point out how flimsy the evidence is.
    And societal order as it exists now kinda depends on that not happening.

    I just spent the morning in a virtual version of an escape room which was basically a jury deliberation room. Strong spoilers below: if you think you'd ever be interested in playing this kind of game, do not read! But do feel free to ask me for a link, it's a pretty good way to do a remote game night!
    We had access to a bunch of evidence, and could interview the defendant, and had to decide on the verdict amongst ourselves. Everyone involved was either an academic, a psychologist, or an MD, so we took a pretty analytical approach I guess? We figured out in due course that the defendent was likely innocent of two charges, was probably guilty of the third most serious charge (murder), BUT also the police and crown prosecution had done an horrendously lax job with the investigation, plus there was evidence of some involvement in the case by a high up official in the Ministry of Justice, and he hadn't even been called in for questioning.

    So given the lack of material evidence, plus a bunch of procedural problems, we voted to acquit even though we were all pretty much convinced he was guilty of murder, because the framing leant so heavily on the trappings of the real court system. So I was very comfortable with the way we voted - a guilty verdict really needed to have an extremely heavy burden of proof attached. And I know that, since it was a game, we could have condemned the guy and it would have been NBD, but it seemed like our process was the bare minimum for the way the game should be played, let alone if someone's life was actually on the line.

    Anyway I guess the point is, we talked to the game designers afterwards, and they told us we were pretty much the only group to uncover all the evidence*, but also one of the few not to convict the defendant. Every other jury who voted to convict on the murder did so based on not much more than gut feeling. And yeah it's just a game, but ...

    *(apparently the only way to 'win' the game with any real proof of his guilt was to push the defendant really hard till he broke down and admitted it - we soft-balled him a little in the cross-questioning)

    This sounds like the perfect scenario for jury nullification, which is essentially where the jury declares the defendant to be guilty but votes to acquit regardless for whatever reason. It's the sort of thing where knowledge of it alone can get you booted from voir dire.

    Less you declare someone innocent or guilty but rather judge the law.

    Edit: rather I should say jury nullification is more “so and so is not guilty not because of the evidence presented, but because the law is fucked and everybody involved can get fucked”

    An important process of our judicial system sadly handicapped

    Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
    ElvenshaeturtleantShadowfireMoridin889DisruptedCapitalistEddyDoodmann
  • OghulkOghulk Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    This is off-topic but I wanted to talk about it somewhere, so copying from the D&D BLM thread:
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Society would fall apart if juries had social workers, lawyers, and scientists on them, surely
    In a way, yes, it would.
    It would be replaced by a new, better, society, but the society as is would not work if you allowed smart, thoughtful, empathic, people who pay attention into juries.
    I mean, they might find police to be untrustworthy, or point out how flimsy the evidence is.
    And societal order as it exists now kinda depends on that not happening.

    I just spent the morning in a virtual version of an escape room which was basically a jury deliberation room. Strong spoilers below: if you think you'd ever be interested in playing this kind of game, do not read! But do feel free to ask me for a link, it's a pretty good way to do a remote game night!
    We had access to a bunch of evidence, and could interview the defendant, and had to decide on the verdict amongst ourselves. Everyone involved was either an academic, a psychologist, or an MD, so we took a pretty analytical approach I guess? We figured out in due course that the defendent was likely innocent of two charges, was probably guilty of the third most serious charge (murder), BUT also the police and crown prosecution had done an horrendously lax job with the investigation, plus there was evidence of some involvement in the case by a high up official in the Ministry of Justice, and he hadn't even been called in for questioning.

    So given the lack of material evidence, plus a bunch of procedural problems, we voted to acquit even though we were all pretty much convinced he was guilty of murder, because the framing leant so heavily on the trappings of the real court system. So I was very comfortable with the way we voted - a guilty verdict really needed to have an extremely heavy burden of proof attached. And I know that, since it was a game, we could have condemned the guy and it would have been NBD, but it seemed like our process was the bare minimum for the way the game should be played, let alone if someone's life was actually on the line.

    Anyway I guess the point is, we talked to the game designers afterwards, and they told us we were pretty much the only group to uncover all the evidence*, but also one of the few not to convict the defendant. Every other jury who voted to convict on the murder did so based on not much more than gut feeling. And yeah it's just a game, but ...

    *(apparently the only way to 'win' the game with any real proof of his guilt was to push the defendant really hard till he broke down and admitted it - we soft-balled him a little in the cross-questioning)

    Your thoughts about process remind me a lot of one of the last classes I took for my masters. Professor was a highly-known admiral in the navy, well respected, and spoke to us a lot about the process of making decisions and how to frame problems. We had some really interesting simulations like this, and it kinda went to show the moderating effect decision making processes can have on people.

    tynic
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    Get super fucking pissed

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    ThatDudeOverThere3clipseMidniteBahamutZEROJust_Bri_ThanksShadowfiremrpakuMetzger MeisterSkeithchr1sh4ll3ttb3Happy Little MachineMagellEddyKetBraShortyJaysonFourEtiowsaVegemytepainfulPleasanceRavePwnanObrienWeedLordVegetaDyvim Tvar
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    Get super fucking pissed

    senzu beans

    Metzger MeisterOmnomnomPancakeEddyCorp.ShephardJaysonFourDyvim Tvar
  • BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    https://www.motherjones.com/crime-justice/2020/06/marsys-law-tony-mcdade-florida-police-killing-victim/

    Article about how one police department in FL is interpreting a victims’ rights law called Marsy’s Law to hide the identity and body cam footage of the officer involved.

    I remember seeing this amendment in the FL 2018 elections and how there were concerns of it being overly broad. Now it seems to be a tool for law enforcement to shield themselves from accountability. There are similar amendments and laws already in other states as well.

    Midnite
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    There was similar thing in NC on a referendum that I voted against.

  • MarekMarek Registered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    I certainly wish I knew.

    XBL: Jason Marek
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    Stop focusing and caring about the victims and instead focus on the string of bad rolls on loaded dice that got them killed.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    ExtraMostBestest Stuffed Crust works for a little bit.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    ElvenshaeSorceturtleant
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    @Kayne Red Robe

    I do a few things. Some times I'll purge the anger by listening to angry music and doing some exercise.

    Other times I will work out small goals I can reasonably accomplish and knock them over. I joke in the thread like, 'radicalise your dad!' But honestly, helping people to understand how bad our systems are is really cathartic for me. I don't try doing this online with strangers. My wife and I are on the same page, so we'll like, plan together and work on our friends together.

    I donate time and money to worthy causes, which helps.

    Sometimes I'll just disengage and watch something light-hearted, or look at wholesome memes, or cute animal pictures for a while.

    We are lucky where I am in that the covid lockdown is pretty much over (no community transmission). I can catch up with friends and go out for dinner and stuff. I'm staying off the booze because im finding when I'm drunk the anger comes out.

    Feel free to hit me up on PMs if you want to shoot the shit with someone

    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

    bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Devlin_DragonusRhesus Positive
  • chr1sh4ll3ttb3chr1sh4ll3ttb3 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    You could try a new hobby, if you have the time and resources? Woodworking is always a good one. Bladesmithing looks very interesting, too. You could even combine them!

  • FishmanFishman Have fun storming the castle. Registered User regular
    Black Lives Matter and I stand with Hong Kong.

    Also: begone, damned forum bug.

    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    Elvenshae
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Realtor Santa ClaritaRegistered User regular
    Just remember:
    That affluenza kid was found not guilty.

    SleepA Dabble Of TheloniusMidniteEddyBlackDragon480TNTrooperOlivaw3clipsefacetiousOrcaOghulkKetBratynicUbikSporkAndrewLabelAlexandierTicaldfjamchr1sh4ll3ttb3balerbowerturtleantJragghennever dieMulysaSemproniusSkeithShortyRhesus PositiveshoeboxjeddyNothingHacksawPoorochondriacMatevJaysonFourDee KaeBloodsheedMoridin889ShadowfireWhittledownTheStigironsizideVegemyteSorcepainfulPleasanceElvenshaeDoodmannMillRaveDarth WaiterBroloPwnanObrienEtchwartsWeedLordVegeta
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Y'all remember the Mully v. Synthetic Orange forum battle? That was a good one.Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

    It looks like that's an actual legal term.
    Wikipedia wrote:
    For instance, the law of the state of Michigan reads:

    (1) A person is guilty of ethnic intimidation if that person maliciously, and with the specific intent to intimidate or harass another person because of that person's race, colour, religion, gender, or national origin, does any of the following:
    (a) Causes physical contact with another person.
    (b) Damages, destroys or defaces any real or personal property of another person.
    (c) Threatens, by word or act, to do any act described in subdivision (a) or (b), if there is reasonable cause to believe that an act described in subdivision (a) or (b) will occur.
    (2) Ethnic intimidation is a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 2 years, or by a fine of not more than $5,000.00, or both.
    (3) Regardless of the existence or outcome of any criminal prosecution, a person who suffers an injury to his or her person or damage to his or her property as a result of ethnic intimidation may bring a civil cause of action against the person who commits the offence to secure an injunction, actual damages, including damages for emotional distress, or other appropriate relief. A plaintiff who prevails in a civil action brought according to this section may recover both of the following:
    (a) Damages in the amount of 3 times the actual damages described in this subsection or $2,000.00, whichever is greater.
    (b) Reasonable attorney fees and costs.

  • HenroidHenroid Seize the Memes Registered User regular
    So according to the legal wording, since nothing was damaged and nobody physically hurt, they're gonna have to make the argument that the lady with the gun was threatened.

    Even though she was doing the threatening.

    Nobody likes me but that's okay. I'm used to it.
    I stream at night - /henroidt on Twitch
    Elvenshae
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited July 12
    Henroid wrote: »
    So according to the legal wording, since nothing was damaged and nobody physically hurt, they're gonna have to make the argument that the lady with the gun was threatened.

    Even though she was doing the threatening.

    Yes, Your Honor, but only because Black people are scary.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    TicaldfjamMulysaSemproniusMoridin889ElvenshaeJacques L'HommeDyvim Tvar
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Y'all remember the Mully v. Synthetic Orange forum battle? That was a good one.Registered User regular
    edited July 12
    Henroid wrote: »
    So according to the legal wording, since nothing was damaged and nobody physically hurt, they're gonna have to make the argument that the lady with the gun was threatened.

    Even though she was doing the threatening.

    Based on that wikipedia entry those people would be guilty of ethnic intimidation if all they did was verbally or nonverbally threaten to come into physical contact (at all) with the Wuestenbergs because of the color of their skin or gender. Before the gun ever came out, one of the Hills said "Dumb ass bitch" to Mrs. Wuestenberg as her husband got her into the car. Then, to the husband, she said "Yeah, I said it. You say something and I'll beat your white ass too." That along with all the "white people" and "white lady"s makes me think there might be something to the ethnic intimidation charge. I'm not a lawyer, so I don't really know, but as a white zinfandel myself I have an interest. We'll find out as it works its way through the justice system.

    Watching through the video, basically everyone involved seems to be a rude idiot with zero sense for de-escalation until the Wuestenbergs decide they've had enough, try to leave, and are prevented from doing so by the Hills. Then Mrs. Wuestenberg pulls the gun and starts screaming at the Hills to get the fuck back, they do so, and the Wuestenbergs get away.

    I would fear for my life too if a group of people threatened to beat me, then physically prevented me from leaving the area. Then again, I don't get into those situations in the first place. I apologize when I jostle people and I GTFO reet-quick the moment people start talking like the Hills did.

    WhiteZinfandel on
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    "ethnic intimidation" eh?

    I wonder what the race is of most of the people charged with it...

    Sleep3clipseph blakeTicaldfjamchr1sh4ll3ttb3SkeithShortyRhesus PositiveshoeboxjeddyHacksawFencingsaxMatevMoridin889RavePwnanObrienHappy Little MachineWeedLordVegetaDyvim Tvar
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I can't believe London criminalized being a police officer

    Metzger MeisterMagellToxdarunia106OlivawTonkkaDarkPrimusBionicPenguinMidniteRoyceSraphimOghulkKetBraAistanKristmas KthulhuMortal SkyHenroidDouglasDanger3clipseBlankZoeSporkAndrewRedTideTicaldfjamCorp.ShephardturtleantbalerbowerTynnanMulysaSemproniusSkeithShortyWinkyRhesus PositiveshoeboxjeddyCrippl3HacksawFencingsaxBahamutZERORanlinTNTrooperMaddocMatevJaysonFourBloodsheedMoridin889Out Of ContextShadowfireVegemyteMr FuzzbuttSorcepainfulPleasancesarukunDark Raven XElvenshaeBlackDragon480DoodmannRaveYamiB.PwnanObrienEtchwartsHappy Little MachineDisruptedCapitalistPeewiWeedLordVegetasponoDyvim TvarBlameless Cleric
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus premium Registered User regular
    edited July 12
    I was going to make a sarcastic comment about anti-hate speech laws leading to authoritarian governments to poke fun at free speech absolutists but then I remembered the state of the UK government currently.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    Ticaldfjam
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular

    I had a guy walk up to be after I knocked on the trunk of his car.

    He was thug.

    In Dubai.

    She is a thug.

    In America.

    Ticaldfjam
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Y'all remember the Mully v. Synthetic Orange forum battle? That was a good one.Registered User regular
    edited July 12
    Orca wrote: »
    "ethnic intimidation" eh?

    I wonder what the race is of most of the people charged with it...

    After spending ten minutes googling around in incognito mode (to unbias the algorithm and also because I don't want that shit in my history) I didn't find any statistical analysis on the subject. The five or so cases of people actually charged with it that incidentally came up in my searching were all white, though I'm aware that number is worth nothing.

    WhiteZinfandel on
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    "ethnic intimidation" eh?

    I wonder what the race is of most of the people charged with it...

    After spending ten minutes googling around in incognito mode (to unbias the algorithm and also because I don't want that shit in my history) I didn't find any statistical analysis on the subject. The five or so cases of people actually charged with it that incidentally came up in my searching were all white, though I'm aware that number is worth nothing.

    It may simply be that it isn't charged that often.

    3clipseWhiteZinfandelRoyceSraphimFencingsaxMoridin889
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    How do you avoid crisis fatigue?

    Bourbon.

    tynicDer Waffle Mous3clipseDarkPrimusGustavturtleantJoolanderTynnanToxZonugalSkeithWinkyMagellHacksawwebguy20Kristmas KthulhuCelloTonkkaTNTrooperStraightziKetarMatevOlivawsarukunElvenshaeDarth WaiterWeedLordVegetaspono
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Regular fatigue

    X22wmuF.jpg
    BreakfastPMThatDudeOverTheretynicDarkPrimusKristmas KthulhuCelloFencingsaxRanlinMaddocShadowfiredarunia106OlivawElvenshaeWeedLordVegeta
  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Clearly the real answer is by channeling our energy into terrible jokes and non sequiturs to distract ourselves

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    AistanWhiteZinfandelSleepJragghenWinkyRhesus Positiveshoeboxjeddy3clipseFencingsaxThatDudeOverThereTNTroopernever diedarunia106SorceOlivawsarukunElvenshaeWeedLordVegetaspono
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread Registered User regular
    edited July 12
    Tox wrote: »
    Clearly the real answer is by channeling our energy into terrible jokes and non sequiturs to distract ourselves

    na4l3ds7v0v6.jpg

    Garlic Bread on
    Sleepph blakeDarkPrimusBreakfastPMKristmas KthulhuUsagiMunkus BeaverFencingsaxTonkkaThatDudeOverThereGONG-00TNTroopertynicShortyKetarSkeithMatevJaysonFourKayne Red RobeBloodsheedMoridin889WiseManTobesDevlin_DragonusAistanasofyeunHenroidShadowfireMidnitenever diedarunia106RedTideTheStigVegemyteironsizideCorp.ShephardToxLord PalingtonSorcepainfulPleasanceOlivawsarukunhonovereElvenshaeJust_Bri_ThanksBlackDragon480DoodmannRaveDarth WaiterJacques L'HommePwnanObrienEtchwartsWinkyHappy Little MachineGnizmoWeedLordVegetaspono
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited July 12
    Griping that taser pretty tight.

    Edit: I zoomed in that's his firearm

    Weaver on
    hCpR4ri.jpg
    Steam: weavermatic xbox: weavermatico
    FencingsaxBahamutZERO3clipseLabelTynnanJaysonFourDee KaeBloodsheedMoridin889MidniteOghulkVegemyteToxSorcepainfulPleasanceOlivawsarukunhonovereElvenshaeDoodmannCaptain InertiaHappy Little MachineWeedLordVegeta
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    It keeps its hand on the gun or it gets the hose

    BahamutZERODarkPrimus3clipseLabelTynnanMatevMoridin889chr1sh4ll3ttb3Rhesus PositiveNothingOghulkToxSorceTicaldfjamOlivawsarukunHappy Little Machine
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Why would the child be frightened of... man who is keeping his hand on his gun during a photo op with small children? So irrational, these children.

    BahamutZERO3clipseMulysaSemproniusLabelTynnanMatevJaysonFourDee KaeOrcaMoridin889ShadowfireMidnitenever diedarunia106VegemyteToxSorcepainfulPleasanceTicaldfjamOlivawsarukunDark Raven XElvenshaeBlackDragon480DoodmannDarth Waiterdurandal4532PwnanObrienMortal SkyHappy Little MachineWeedLordVegeta
This discussion has been closed.