As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's All Freak Out In The [Ghost of Tsushima] Thread

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    On one of the ronin duels, I secured the last hit with a perfect dodge and I don't think I'll pull off a more cinematic kill for the rest of the game

Just got perfect dodge on my lethal run and it is cinematic as hyyyeck.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    It is rarer than it feels like it should be, with the amount of perfect parties and clean cuts I get, but I have noticed the occasional hand or arm go flying off

No legs though, which I feel is a missed opportunity

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    It is interesting that he has moves in which he kicks peoples legs out and whatnot, but he’s apparently too honorable to hack at them with his sword.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    metaghost wrote: »
    It is interesting that he has moves in which he kicks peoples legs out and whatnot, but he’s apparently too honorable to hack at them with his sword.

Well you train me to be a boxer for 30 years and punching a guy in the side of the knee is always gonna' feel a little awkward lol.

But here's my take. I was thinkin' about this the other day actually...

If I was Jin, and I meant to incapacitate this target with one blow, I wouldn't use the dagger. I have the drop on someone and a heavy-ass two-plus-foot sword at my disposal that's literally designed to slice through things. He uses the Katana for air assassinations - and his late game tanto assassinations are Bond as heck - but still if I was behind a dude with Jin's repertoire, I would Oil Seller him. I wouldn't mess with no dagger.
    Olivaw wrote: »
    It is rarer than it feels like it should be, with the amount of perfect parties and clean cuts I get, but I have noticed the occasional hand or arm go flying off

No legs though, which I feel is a missed opportunity

The amount of perfect parries and dodges I get now, after playing Lethal mode all day yesterday and getting the easier parry/dodge charm at the end of the day, is through the roof.

Chance on
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I absolutely love L5R. I would say it's probably my favorite fantasy setting. Not a huge fan of the 5E Fantasy Flight iteration. I have a couple of the source books, and I really want to like it, but so much of the current mechanics seem so counterintuitive and / or downright needlessly complicated. Hard to get into.

I love the FFG’s roll & keep dice mechanic, and no exaggeration, think it’s the best dice system ever created. All the predictability of a dice pool system + exploding successes, and the player is constantly managing stress: every dice roll is a risk management exercise. I think the Defense/health/Injury system could use some iteration, but otherwise have few complaints on the remainder of the game.
    I'm also not entirely sure why you think Ghost is not a gorefest. Stab a guy in the neck and he drops to the ground, gurgling and spouting blood. I impale a guy and blood flies out his back like the dude's body is a pressurized canister. The game is violent as shit.

I never said it wasn't gorey enough, I just wanted a little more is all. Man, people love to dogpile on about stuff like this, I just expressed how I wanted it to be a mechanic in combat, to heighten the stakes. Real swords won't kill you every time, but when held by someone who knows what they're doing it should be a quick fight.

I appreciate the Kurosawa aesthetic and like it a lot. I just think the game is very much a game. Kurosawa films, someone gets hit with a sword they immediately burst into a blood geyser from one, lightning quick hit. It feels powerful and impactful. I don't feel the game captures that well, but that's just my 2 cents.

Also, they scaled back Lightsabers? Lmao in Revenge of the Sith they literally cut and cook to serve Anakin on screen

Allow me to explain my extremely detailed point of view which is not all that different from what others have said and aaarrggghhhblaarrgghh

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular

@chance, time for part 3 of the Ghost/Sekiro banter?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    I think Ghost is kind of ahead in the hat and dresses department for my digital swordsmen.

From has never done DLC like this Sekiro one before, that I remember - their updates are either minor balance tweaks or huge content-chunk DLCs.

This one announced today, to me (sniff sniff sniiiiff...) ...reeks of Activision.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I thought it was free?

Either way, on the violence in this game it honestly doesn't phase me. It's pretty bloody and I love how you can have these Dragon Age 2 like absurd situations of a serious conversation going on while you're covered in blood - I really appreciate that. After playing Last of Us 2 though, it's going to take a lot of effort for me to really notice any particular violence in a game like this. You don't get to see how really pissed off and upset Jin is while he's gutting someone extremely personally with a tiny knife in this game.

Also the Mongols don't scream out "FLUFFY, NOOOOO" when you butcher their dogs.

I'm rather over games pushing violence levels after The Last of Us 2 honestly.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    One touch I like is that the hawks mourn their handlers. They fly in circles around them for a while.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I once had a hawk land on the owner during a stand off. Jin cut through the owner and the hawk at the same time. It was hilarious.

Also are there Leopard Cats in the game? Apparently they are native to the island!!!

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I haven't seen one so far.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I haven't seen one so far.

Me neither. And ah've been ev'ery where, man. On Tsushima.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Also whenever I see a hawk I'm like "maaaan I gotta' blow a kunai? Where's my short bow..."

Edit: when taking forts, Hawks are sometimes posted up on big tall poles. Once I killed one with an arrow, the humans didn't notice, but another hawk got up from another pole and took its place.

So I killed it.

Chance on
  • Options
    I stealth so incredibly rarely that I barely noticed the hawks introduction.

Suddenly birds just started flying around while I murder people. Just shrugged and kept hacking away.

• Options

Suddenly birds just started flying around while I murder people. Just shrugged and kept hacking away.

I'm not even out of Izuhara yet and that's where I'm at again (loving lethal). I stealth when the base I'm going after has a bonus objective that requires it.

• Options
    I rarely bother using stealth unless the game explicitly forces me to or there is a bonus objective for it. So Hawks basically aren't something I ever think about.

I am disappointed in the lack of webbed feet kitty cats.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    I do it occasionally to break things up. I'm even good at it, because I am no stranger to this style of stealth. It's just not my thing in this game. I am here to murder armies in open combat.

I actually have several points in the sense peoples locations skill.

It's so I can find the last guys hiding in tents after I've run out of people to kill.

Hereeeee'ss Johnnyyy!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I stealthed all the time and the birds were an issue... once, twice? They really didn’t add anything in terms of the difficulty of navigating a camp.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I think they caused a problem once and that's only because I didn't realize they were a thing.

• Options
    I just rolled a whole fort first try in the traveler's attire. Wwwwwwoooooooooo!

• Options
    I basically read the ghost in ghost of tushima not as thing you see out of the corner of your eye in the spooky haunted house, but the vicious bloodsucking ghosts of asian mythology who rock up and murder everyone, then disappear leaving only strewn dismembered corpses and blood everywhere.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I don’t think they see you in the pampas grass. Maybe they do, I dunno, but it seemed like even when they were flying overhead they couldn’t see me in there. They might have been more of an issue if they could find you in the grass since it’s a pretty key hiding spot in most places. But eventually they just perch somewhere and you shoot em with an arrow or a kunai.

• Options
    I basically read the ghost in ghost of tushima not as thing you see out of the corner of your eye in the spooky haunted house, but the vicious bloodsucking ghosts of asian mythology who rock up and murder everyone, then disappear leaving only strewn dismembered corpses and blood everywhere.

I think that’s what ends up happening though. From the sound of it I’m one of the few who actively engaged in stealth tactics bu I never finished off a fort or camp with the last guy standing around. It was more like:

- assassinate 2-3 dudes from a rooftop
    - Get surrounded by 4-5 guys
    - Kunai to stun, smoke bomb to assassinate another 2-3
    - Fight 3-4 guys head on
    - Rinse and repeat

It was never a completely passive experience where every guy was stabbed in the back.

Although one time there was a huge group of guys. I shot two of them with hallucination darts and then shot the lock off a bear cage nearby. Hilarious chaos ensued.

• Options
    Hallucination darts are utterly hilarious once you get them.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    The stealth is just really dry. It's fun to dabble in occasionally, but I couldn't play the entire game that way. It's completely functional, but I just find the fighting much more fun and varied.

If there's a bonus objective or a mission that requires it I'm happy enough to do it though.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I cleared an entire fort with three Hallucination darts. That was hilarious.

• Options
    There are enough design decisions with straight combat that a ton of it gets on my nerves. Maybe it’s just that I’m not very good. But I’ve said before that the game is designed for you to use all your tools, so neglecting one in favor of the other leads to a lopsided experience. For me, anyway.

I think if I played the whole game as a stealth game I’d feel similarly. But weaving in and out of stealth and combat strategies felt very natural and right to me.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I cleared an entire fort with three Hallucination darts. That was hilarious.

So fun when you can hit a leader with one.

• Options
    I really appreciate that this is a game that doesn't care if you want to fight 30 guys at once (you can) or if you want to just sneakily stab them. It's refreshing after the exhausting experience that LoU2 was in this regard.

• Options
    Just mostly-finished the end of Act I.
    Oh my god the duel against Ryuzo took me at least 10 tries this time. He was one-shotting me left and right.

But I'm really glad I replayed it, because it reminded me that I just love that moment after Jin wins, he picks up Ryuzo's hat and walks towards him and says "it's not too late!" - really honestly still wanting to be friends, and ready to forgive.

Jin's just the nicest guy. Horrific killings aside.

• Options
    The stealth is just really dry. It's fun to dabble in occasionally, but I couldn't play the entire game that way. It's completely functional, but I just find the fighting much more fun and varied.

If there's a bonus objective or a mission that requires it I'm happy enough to do it though.

Always for the bonus objectives - obsessively so for some reason.

Stealth in this game is completely, hilariously, 100% OP. It reminds me of Aloy flat-out-running from target to target, skidding for the last 12 meters and getting a "silent" kill, and chaining this across an entire herd by just going for targets that weren't looking at each other. It's... well there are frankly a lot more options for it here, but it's just as... analog and powerful. I'm on lethal, wearing Traveler's and I can still just run up to a dude and get him with a stealth kill, no sneaking required. And then there's chain-assassinations and smoke bombs and everything else in Jin's toolkit.

It's easy-going, super-forgiving and if you're having trouble with enemy numbers, completely effective for almost zero resources.

So for me it's like... I dunno, it's a tool when I'm having a little trouble with a mission, or an option of adjusting its parameters like "let's just get those archers off the high ground first."

• Options
    edited July 2020
    There are enough design decisions with straight combat that a ton of it gets on my nerves. Maybe it’s just that I’m not very good. But I’ve said before that the game is designed for you to use all your tools, so neglecting one in favor of the other leads to a lopsided experience. For me, anyway.

I think if I played the whole game as a stealth game I’d feel similarly. But weaving in and out of stealth and combat strategies felt very natural and right to me.

I consider straight combat to be using the ghost tools and bow (with concentration) as well. Ghost tools are so absurdly op you can steam roll basically any fight.

This thing I do where sometimes I only use a katana against an entire fort is because I'm crazy.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I rarely use my ghost tools because I rarely have to! I can parry well enough and once I have stances unlocked and a few good techniques I can dance around and take fools out fast enough it hardly matters

That being said if I get mobbed by like ten dudes at once as opposed to three or four at a time, I’ll throw out some bombs and kunai, if I remember that I have them

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I mostly just use kunai. It's all you really need. If there's a humongous amount of them I might use a black powder bomb. It's super rare to need that tho.

I'll throw smokebombs for free kills and chain assassinations.

Sticky bombs I throw because it makes me laugh. It's actually possible to juggle an enemy that has been tossed away by a sticky bomb! I hit an enemy with my katana as he was blasted away and he got knocked back up.

I use flame arrows because I am cruel to enemies in video games. I set them on fire and then when it goes out I do it again.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Did a few more shots last night. Some of them work, I think, and others don't so much. But I'm still having a lot of fun in photo mode, trying to capture some real action cinematography-type shots.

ari6zowe0ufj.jpg
    j2dlwq12zf6d.jpg
    yilsuuk8lhlu.jpg
    wxgcllehp82z.jpg

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The first two are amazing!

edit: Also been meaning to post these.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2020/07/yakuza-director-praises-ghost-of-tsushima-says-japan-should-have-made-it/

What he says about Jin's looks is so damn true. It's so refreshing to just have this older not super handsome dude in a video game.

And this is just amazing. Using ghost tactics changes the weather.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ghost-of-tsushima-actually-does-change-based-on-yo/1100-6479889/

Now this is gonna make me wanna use ghost tools more.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    I don't really know if I inherently agree with Jin not being handsome. He has a very well sculpted butt and he's definitely not an ugly looking fellow.

• Options
    He's just a dude. He's not ugly. He's not anime handsome. He's just this middle aged dude. It's great.

Oh and unrelated but you can dodge cancel Jin's fatigue when sprinting. Just a tap of the o button. When he finishes he'll automatically keep sprinting.

• Options
    I don’t get why people see Jin as middle aged. Have the developers said how old he is? Maybe they have but if they’ve said he’s a guy in his 40s that would be mighty confusing to me. When was the Yarikawa rebellion? Wasn’t he really young when that happened, just a little kid? Maybe Ive missed something about the timeline or maybe Sucker Punch straight up told us his age.

He strikes me as... 25? Maybe 30. He’s never seen battle. He’s an untested samurai and the story is about what he does when he finally has to put his cards on the table. Is this idea based on what “middle aged” is in the late 1200s? Because a wealthy feudal lord is still looking at the upper end of his 60s.

Shimura is 55-60. He’s middled aged. I have a hard time putting Jin in the same category.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Woke up early and had some time to play before work. Was able to get this one during that session -

(wish I'd have noticed I had a really dumb / color-clashing scabbard equipped :/ )

po6ckxd0h6ux.jpg

milk ducks on