As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's All Freak Out In The [Ghost of Tsushima] Thread

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I just looked it up. I need that charm.

I usually try to kill everyone that gets terrified but if some get away, lately I've just been letting them.

Let them spread the word.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If it's the last guy, it's always a game to see how far they can run before hitting them with a heavy arrow becomes iffy. Winners get to escape to spread the tale.

No winners yet, though.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I got that charm that increases your chance to terror.

I have a 55% chance to terrorise all remaning enemies when I kill someone.

And a 40% chance to terrorise when I set fire to someone. (There's a minor charm that gives you a chance to terrorise enemies when you set fire to someone.)
    And there's a major charm that lets your black powder bomb set fire to anyone it hits. I also have another minor charm that increases the damage fire does by 50% and makes it last 50% longer. So the peeps on fire eventually die, and might even count for the kill terrorise?

Plus whatever terrorise chance heavenly strike, dance of wrath, and chain assassination have.

Sometimes there's more than just one last guy running.

I kill half of them and then the rest of them are all sprinting off in different directions.

edit: My god this build is ridiculously fun and strong. The body count is overwhelming. Especially the bpb setting fire to peeps and the extra damage from fire. Only leaders can survive it.

I don't even really need the parry charm anymore. Every encounter is flames and screaming and death. Those few brave souls able to stand and face me are easy to wipe out.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Kurosawa mode sounds awesome until you see the game in person and the vibrant colour palette and you just don’t want to give it up.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Just finished Act 1. Hell of a twist. Also Shimura most be an idiot if he thinks Yuna likes him at all.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Kurosawa mode sounds awesome until you see the game in person and the vibrant colour palette and you just don’t want to give it up.

First playthrough was in color, second playthrough in Kurosawa.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'm addicted to stealth. I approach all Mongol encampments in Ronin garb.

I am shneaky. I love shneaking. I shneak all the things. I shneak all the enemies. The shneaking shall not stop until Ubisoft gives me my next damned Splinter Cell.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    That fight in the second Kenji quest was pretty crazy. Some Straw Hats showed up and started fighting the Mongols, there was a bear for some reason.

Loved that quest. Was waiting for something like that to happen.

'Shit, Strawhats... wait they're fighting the Mongols... cool... I'll just be here waiting for you to finish, guys... '

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    One of my favorites is one particular story mission with something like 12 mongols standing next to a bear cage. I shot two of them with hallucination darts, shot open the bear cage and watched the chaos.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure Jin’s most frequently repeated line of dialogue is “(Frustrated sigh)”.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Act 3 opening spoiler and a couple of missions in
    Regarding getting the ghost armor, doing the warcrime, and getting warcrime punished, and then getting mongol karma punished with poison, and then going rogue and getting your "batcave" (the hideout) and so on.

I loved everything about this. Even the loss of the horse. It was well presented.

It might be a cliche, but cliches are cliches because they work. They're only really bad if they're done badly. Done well it's just a tool in a writer's communication box.

Or you are sick of them I guess, but I'm never sick of something presented well. "There's nothing new under the sun" and all that.

I really like that the generals are surrounded by dudes who run away when you win as well.

It's a cheap trick that they appear out of nowhere. But the General is nowhere to be seen either, and we've seen end of base bosses appear before and nobody cared then. I just wrote it off as his retinue accompanying him after he rode in and discovered his camp was smashed.

When they all ran away it just totally sells the legend of the Ghost. After your warcrime they're all fucking terrified of you. They don't want to fight you. Killing the General breaks them. They're out of there. It's wonderful.

Immediately kneeling down to finish a quest was a bit weird tho. That quest wasn't well integrated with the camps. The first time it happened I had cut off the generals arm, and the positioning caused him to kneel down to look at the arm.

"Oh is this a Mongol armor piece?"
    No Jin, it's a piece of a Mongol. I'm sorry, but they're different.

Morninglord on
  • Options
  • Options
    Damn that last one is really great.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    "Eh, how good could could Ghost Stance be oh shit they're all dead, and the guys after that are also dead. I guess that's pretty good."

Getting to start off ghost stance by sneakily chopping the head off a boss is just the best.

• Options
    It's a great fuck you to the last three guys.
    In fact it's such a great fuck you that sometimes when there's only a few left I sneak up on them, jump down in front of them, and trigger it.

Surprise!

• Options
    Kind of a boring / basic shot, but I liked it, and it came about really naturally / organically during exploration.

k0p89aisyosg.jpg

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Fuck I'm such a 13 year old at heart.
    Act 3 spoilers.
    I started with a white horse called sora. I spent most of my time wandering freely and enjoying myself, being mostly honorable.

Now I do everything with purpose. I'm collecting everything to upgrade my character before I finish the game, so when I take on the khan it's as a force he cannot hope to match. I'm wiping out the mongol outposts and forts because to me it's cornering the khan. I murder with flames and explosions and steel, and I slaughter all those who don't manage to get away.

My new horse is now black, and I called him kage (shadow).

Such a 13 year old jesus. :biggrin:

edit: funny bug
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og931j6tpSA

Morninglord on
  • Options
  • Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Ghost of Tsushima is the better GoT we've gotten recently

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    Working sporadically until the 20th due to a work-related covid exposure (got my test back yesterday, negative, so all's good), and my kids went back to school today. So I'm just chilling at the house, alone for the first time in literal months, playing Ghost of Tsushima while listening to Enter the Wu-Tang 36 Chambers. Feels fucking good, fam.

• Options
    I want Jin's voice actor to get all the jobs and money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFQdtbLzW_c

• Options
    What a nice guy.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I knew they did a lot of face mocap these days...I didn't expect him to look exactly like the character. Usually there is some embellishment...but nope, they just mocapped his face.

r: The fact that he has the Clan Sakai flag in his living room is a pretty great touch.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    He’s excellent.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Masako Tale "The Thief":
    MURDER GRANDMA evolved into BISEXUAL MURDER GRANDMA!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Masako Tale "The Thief":

I absolutely loved all of Masako's tales. Her story arc is, in my opinion, the best of the "named" tales.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Act 3 spoilers.
    I started with a white horse called sora. I spent most of my time wandering freely and enjoying myself, being mostly honorable.

Now I do everything with purpose. I'm collecting everything to upgrade my character before I finish the game, so when I take on the khan it's as a force he cannot hope to match. I'm wiping out the mongol outposts and forts because to me it's cornering the khan. I murder with flames and explosions and steel, and I slaughter all those who don't manage to get away.

I love that you had the presence of mind to roll when you hit the ground even after a bug sends you 50 feet in the air.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Masako Tale "The Thief":

I absolutely loved all of Masako's tales. Her story arc is, in my opinion, the best of the "named" tales.

Misako's is really a classic tragedy, to me.
    "The seeds of my family's destruction were planted with my hands!"

Just brutal, really.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Approaching the end. Probably another 2 nights of play.

Have area 1 and 2 completely done. Like all relics/banners/notes and regular objectives.

In area 3 I've done a little story, a few side quests and finished up the final Shrine/foxes/onsens/bamboo strikes/vanity gear

Just have the rest of the side missions then the final relics/banners/notes and I'll finish off the story!

Been a real good time.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    Masako Tale "The Thief":

Misako's is really a classic tragedy, to me.
    "The seeds of my family's destruction were planted with my hands!"

Just brutal, really.

Felt like it needed more breadcrumbs for the reveal, and a bit more space to breathe at the end

But yeah there were a couple of cool moments near the end!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Chance wrote: »
    Act 3 spoilers.

I love that you had the presence of mind to roll when you hit the ground even after a bug sends you 50 feet in the air.

For all the next guy knew I flew into the air just to get close to him.
    Approaching the end. Probably another 2 nights of play.

Have area 1 and 2 completely done. Like all relics/banners/notes and regular objectives.

In area 3 I've done a little story, a few side quests and finished up the final Shrine/foxes/onsens/bamboo strikes/vanity gear

Just have the rest of the side missions then the final relics/banners/notes and I'll finish off the story!

Been a real good time.

That's about where I am, I'm the middle of finishing off the rest of the onsens and bamboo strikes. Done foxes and shrines. Then I'll finish outposts.

I've not been playing it for a few days tho, been busy and also I get like this when I'm near the end of a game I love. I don't want it to end.

But I want to finish it, so I wont be able to stay away for long.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    You know what this game could use? A supernatural-themed DLC expansion, like Undead Nightmare in Red Dead Redemption or Nightmare in North Point in Sleeping Dogs. Heck, even Sucker Punch did one with Festival of Blood for inFamous 2!

Here's how I propose it works: At every temple there is now a miko who will tell Jin about a disturbance in the spirit world. She'll provide the opportunity, with the help of some mystic incense, for Jin to meditate and enter the spirit world, a new map that's about the size of Izuhara, maybe a bit bigger. All the NPCs are Japanese kami and youkai, the enemies are a mix of Mongol spirits and corrupted/traitorous youkai. There are Mythic Tales to get you a couple new armor sets and moves. The final boss is some major deity from Mongol mythology. When you finish it the mikos tell you the spirit world is back tomorrow but Jin isn't sure if the whole thing was a hallucination.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Done, dusted, and platinumed. Good damn game. Could've been shrunk down a bit in Act 2, though.

Also needed more fox buddies to hang with.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    I knew they did a lot of face mocap these days...I didn't expect him to look exactly like the character. Usually there is some embellishment...but nope, they just mocapped his face.

r: The fact that he has the Clan Sakai flag in his living room is a pretty great touch.

It is criminal that they didn't just have him do the Japanese voice track also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqOSUrcI0k8

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Japanese va is Kazuya Nakai.

He did Date Masamune in Sengoku Basara. (And Zoro)

I keep expecting him to bust out some random english.

"I will defeat the Mongols, you see?"

Anyway he's legendary.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Oh man this whole time I thought the mocap actor did both sets of dialogue. Now I guess I will need to turn it to English for a little while just to see what the fuss is about. I will say though, that just from my limited knowledge of Japanese, there are occasionally bizarre differences between what is said versus what the subtitles say. Just little things here and there but it didn't really make sense why they wouldn't just use the direct translation.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Finished it. It's a good game. I agree with whoever said that some scenes end to early like the end of Masako's. They have good cinematography but not great editing, and a few glitches where missions would overlap so both sets of dialogue would play simultaneously.

I will say the gameplay loop became pretty boring at the end. Combat isn't all that interesting once you've mastered it, it just becomes "oh, another patrol". The resources to upgrade things are also pretty ridiculous. I had the resource boosting charm on pretty much from the start of the game as I'd looked up the best charms to get and where to get them, and even then, I upgraded a fair few outfits and weapons but couldn't do them all even after a few hours in the endgame, and it is frustrating that even with a maxed out katana, mooks still took a lot of direct hits. And I did have Inari's charm of might on as well. I could probably micro-spec the charms to boost it, but at this point combat is one of the least interesting things to do since you've done it 1000 times by the end.

The ending with Shimura was interesting. I did not expect him to be there to kill Jin and I was conflicted between honoring what he wanted and not wanting to kill him (I didn't kill him). They will probably carry on with Jin, thought I wouldn't mind a different character who is a full on Ronin so you can be a bit more freeform in your roleplaying. The max Kensei outfit for instance just never seemed right for Sakai. I wore the Adachi Samurai outfit early on, the GOsaku outfit for a long time (but even that seemed too gradiose for a guerilla fighter), as soon as I could I went and got the Sakai family armor, and then stuck with the Ghost armor at the end. Also I'm not sure what the point of the branching discussions was since it doesn't seem to impact anything. Norio's descent was pretty drastic as well, even with what happened to his brother, he'd spent his entire tenure on screen being a full on dedicated monk.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Game done!

All in game tracked stuff finished.

What a great summer of games it's been and I am finishing this just in time to continue this great summer of games.

• Options
    I was not prepared for the second act of Yuriko. Damn that was a lot.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I'm not done. I'm trying to be done.
    But every time I stumble on an outpost I restart over and over trying different strategies and torturing Mongols endlessly.
    Honestly they shouldn't have made loading so fast it just encourages people like me.

Morninglord on