As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's All Freak Out In The [Ghost of Tsushima] Thread

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    There are two periods where the legend of The Ghost could be put to good use IMO: Sengoku and Bakumatsu.

The Ghost isn't one person. It's a legend and an idea.

Those settings are pretty played out. I liked this game focusing on less well-trod historical ground.

Gimme a sequel where a new Ghost is helping a community of Hidden Christians in the 1700s or something.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    There are two periods where the legend of The Ghost could be put to good use IMO: Sengoku and Bakumatsu.

Those settings are pretty played out. I liked this game focusing on less well-trod historical ground.

Gimme a sequel where a new Ghost is helping a community of Hidden Christians in the 1700s or something.

Sengoku is for sure but Bakumatsu?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Sengoku is for sure but Bakumatsu?

The Boshin War specifically. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to set a whole samurai action story in the prewar era before everything starts popping off, but more power to anyone with the guts to try.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I think making it an anthology series is a cool and good idea, but there’s a part of me that thinks they’ll just move Jin to Kyushu, Shikoku, or Okinawa and have him get embroiled in samurai clan power plays that disillusion him further

It gives them the opportunity to do some faction systems, maybe a nemesis or AC Odyssey mercenary system on top of it, makes the world bigger, and keeps their semi-beloved main character around, because name recognition and brand identity and other corporate bullshit

Of course it would also require them to be more critical of the samurai than I think they want to be but y’know. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking on my part

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The problem with continuing with Jin is they will need to find reasons to keep depowering him, otherwise they won’t keep as meaningful progression as the first game. There’s only so much you can amp him up before it starts getting ridiculous - he was already batshit insane powerful by the end of this game.

An anthology lets them keep him around - maybe in a quest giver role like Lady Masako or even a main plot player like Yuna - while building up other characters.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The problem with continuing with Jin is they will need to find reasons to keep depowering him, otherwise they won’t keep as meaningful progression as the first game. There’s only so much you can amp him up before it starts getting ridiculous - he was already batshit insane powerful by the end of this game.

An anthology lets them keep him around - maybe in a quest giver role like Lady Masako or even a main plot player like Yuna - while building up other characters.

Jin's powerups are kunai, gunpowder, poison, way of the flame, heavenly strike, dance of wrath, and ghost stance/terrify. Everything else is armors/charms, bows, assassination perks, and health/resolve increases. Oh and Taka's grappling hook.

Of those, gunpowder can be gone with the Mongols, Jin can swear off poison, Way of the flame is dependent on the flame rock, Heavenly Strike is an Unblockable attack that every Strawhat already has and Dance of Wrath is just Heavenly Strike x3, and you terrify people by reputation which is probably also gone with the Mongols.

So I think as long as Jin has access to kunai and heavenly strike at the start of the sequel I would be satisfied. Also he can learn new sword stuff because I found Strawhats to be the hardest enemies this side of Bears and fighting other samurai requires different techniques. I'd like different clans/factions to have different styles!

Also while Stance and Weapon switching wasn't a great implementation, I still enjoyed using all of them. I mostly leave Jin on Wind Stance because I suck at parrying spears correctly (and then auto parry means never having to improve!). Everyone else got Perfect Dodged or Perfect Parried to death which I thought was cool and cinematic because Jin is patiently waiting for these mooks to attack and get wrecked by his counter. But when the situation called for it, switching stances for guard breaks was fun too.

Of course, I have yet to try Lethal so maybe my mind will change

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Okay, it's been a while because I finally put in the effort to finish this. Those final fights were so great.
    Ringo wrote: »
    Jin's powerups are kunai, gunpowder, poison, way of the flame, heavenly strike, dance of wrath, and ghost stance/terrify. Everything else is armors/charms, bows, assassination perks, and health/resolve increases. Oh and Taka's grappling hook.

Of those, gunpowder can be gone with the Mongols, Jin can swear off poison, Way of the flame is dependent on the flame rock, Heavenly Strike is an Unblockable attack that every Strawhat already has and Dance of Wrath is just Heavenly Strike x3, and you terrify people by reputation which is probably also gone with the Mongols.

You assume the Mongols will not be the enemies again. Historically speaking, the 1274 Mongol invasion, which is when this game is set, was followed by the invasion of Iki (directors cut expansion) and the the landing at Hakata bay on the Japanese mainland. This didn't end well for the Mongols.

While they didn't follow the Historical sequence of events of Tsushimas invasion (it... didn't end well for Tsushima), they 're following it up with the invasion of Iki. The sequel will most definitely follow on from the Iki expansion and still have the Mongols as the enemy. Which means Blackpowder will still be around. He may lose the meteor fragment for his flaming sword, but he was still had his poison in his hut at the end of the story.

I'm not saying they can't depower him, but there's a few different Mongol invasions (including another starting with Tsushima and Iki about 10 years later) and if they're going to keep using Jin as the main character, it's going to get a bit annoying having him start off weak and needing to build back up every game.

Especially when they can go the Assassing Creed direction and go with a different antagonist each game.
    They pretty much set up Tomoe as a potential antagonist for a sequel.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Iki Island story trailer:

https://youtu.be/mBrAlSKqdAE

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Have they confirmed anywhere if this DLC takes place after the main story?

I would really like to play it but that is 100% a make or break requirement for me with DLC.

• Options

I would really like to play it but that is 100% a make or break requirement for me with DLC.

It can be started any time after the beginning of Act II, so it can if you want it to!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It can be started any time after the beginning of Act II, so it can if you want it to!

Ok sweet! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those things where you needed to play on a pre-end boss save.

Thanks!

• Options
    Iki will have animal sanctuaries where you can use your flute to tame animals and then pet them as much as you want.

Game of the year.

• Options
    Some of those shots make the island look fairly big. The shot in the field of flowers with the mountain in the distance make me think it's about as big as one of the regions in the base game. That's more content than I expected.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    or a protagonist! It could honestly go either way with her.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    Some of those shots make the island look fairly big. The shot in the field of flowers with the mountain in the distance make me think it's about as big as one of the regions in the base game. That's more content than I expected.

I figured as soon as I heard about it that it would basically be a fourth act in terms of structure and size.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    This looks sick and now my worst problem is working out if I'm going to get the ps5 version or not. (probably not)

For those confused, the ps5 controller and my hands are having a bit of a disagreement so being locked to it means I would only be able to play an hour if that for any play session.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    or a protagonist! It could honestly go either way with her.

I actually meant that. My brain wasn’t working.

• Options

Yea rumor is that it's about the size of a regular region in terms of both size and content. So if you're doing all the stuff probably a good 20 hours which would be super rad.

• Options
    Furthering the Ghost of Tsushima is coming to PC rumour, Sonys official Amazon store listing no longer has 'Only on Playstation' on the box art.

This is what happened to Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone before their PC announcement.

• Options
    Welp, first major cut scene and I almost broke the disc in half.

Twice, Suckerpunch?! TWICE?!!!!
    It turns out fine almost immediately

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Furthering the Ghost of Tsushima is coming to PC rumour, Sonys official Amazon store listing no longer has 'Only on Playstation' on the box art.

This is what happened to Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn and Days Gone before their PC announcement.

god please

I can't find a freakin PS5 anywhere (and even if I did, I'd give it to my brother first, and inherit his shitty PS4) (This is the Way / our compact; I build him clanky but serviceable PCs out of spare parts; he gives me his old consoles)

• Options
    I'm reminded of the fear toxin sections from the Arkham games.

• Options

Similar sections in Max Payne for me. I'm mildly worried about being blindsided. Not only did that first cut scene really twist the knife but then I found the first Cat Sanctuary and
    Got ambushed by Mongol dogs. They certainly have me suspecting that Iki Island holds zero nice things for Jin or the player. But today's been frustrating for me so that is likely coloring my experience so far.

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options

god please

I can't find a freakin PS5 anywhere (and even if I did, I'd give it to my brother first, and inherit his shitty PS4) (This is the Way / our compact; I build him clanky but serviceable PCs out of spare parts; he gives me his old consoles)

I’d play through it again completely on PC if it got a release. It was amazing, but better textures and much higher FPS would sell me on another playthrough.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Two things: I forgot how menacing Lady Masako was (even moreso than the gameplay spoiler from a few years ago) and didn't realize she was also a samurai (or isn't she) and Ishikawa looks exactly like good voice actor, so much so that I want to call him Sensei Pierre Chang.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    I’m pretty sure they made all of the main characters resemble their in actors.

Also, Masako is played by a well known actor as well, Lauren Tom. The same Lauren Tom who voiced Amy Wong in Futurama.

And yes, she’s a Samurai.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    I'm a bit confused by some of these skills I can buy. There's an exploration skill called Wind of Inari that says it will let me track fox dens. But when I visited a ? mark on the map, it was a fox den. So they're already on the map, albeit with a ?, but that's all the info I need. So what does spending the technique point on the skill even do? If it just changes the ?'s, that feels like a waste of a point better put into an actual useful skill.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm a bit confused by some of these skills I can buy. There's an exploration skill called Wind of Inari that says it will let me track fox dens. But when I visited a ? mark on the map, it was a fox den. So they're already on the map, albeit with a ?, but that's all the info I need. So what does spending the technique point on the skill even do? If it just changes the ?'s, that feels like a waste of a point better put into an actual useful skill.

Because without the Wind of Inari, you can never tell which ?s are dens and which ones are a zillion other map elements. Plus, you can use the Wind to locate any dens whether or not they're on your map.

It's a really really useful thing when you're specifically trying to hit up dens in a hurry without visiting every ? point on the map.

• Options

None of those skills are more important than the combat related ones, the Wind skills mostly help only with 100% everything

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Yeah those skills were the last I unlocked, and I only used them to hunt down what I’d missed.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

None of those skills are more important than the combat related ones, the Wind skills mostly help only with 100% everything

Eh, there's a pile of useless combat moves and Inari's Wind definitely has a ton of usefulness if you want fox dens.

• Options
    I’m pretty sure they made all of the main characters resemble their in actors.

Also, Masako is played by a well known actor as well, Lauren Tom. The same Lauren Tom who voiced Amy Wong in Futurama.

And yes, she’s a Samurai.

Named after a famous real-life woman samurai, even: Hojo Masako. Not meant to literally be the historical figure though; Hojo Masako died about 25 years before the Mongol invasions, and was from the region that is now part of the greater Tokyo metropolitan area. Still!

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onna-musha

Also, Tomoe is named after the one from the Tale of Heike.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I like how I transferred my complete PS4 save to the PS5 version and got to watch the trophies continuously pop for several minutes.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options

Similar sections in Max Payne for me. I'm mildly worried about being blindsided. Not only did that first cut scene really twist the knife but then I found the first Cat Sanctuary and
    Got ambushed by Mongol dogs. They certainly have me suspecting that Iki Island holds zero nice things for Jin or the player. But today's been frustrating for me so that is likely coloring my experience so far.

Kudos, game. I knew it was coming and yet I was still fucking blindsided
    The Eagle's poison made it hard to distinguish friend from foe. Arrow to the head, two poison darts, and a slit throat before a hallucination accuses Jin of enjoying the violence and I see who I was really "fighting".

Now I am super paranoid and Jin isn't doing so hot either

This game is going to make me cry.

Again

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Legends mode is really fun!

I only did it because Iki Island has a trophy that requires it but now I love it.

And this was free! And there’s more coming! These absolute lunatics at Sucker Punch.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I still have to try legends, but I’m excited to. I’d started the story last month but stopped when I saw DLC/improvements were on the way and now I’m trying to wrap up re:village.

I remember the consensus being that the initial legends length was too long, and the PS blog said they shortened the length. So what’s it like now?

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Doing the raid with Chance, Butters and my mate was probably the most fun I had in Ghost and I had a transcendental amount of fun in that game so that's saying something.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Legends mode is really fun!

I only did it because Iki Island has a trophy that requires it but now I love it.

And this was free! And there’s more coming! These absolute lunatics at Sucker Punch.

I... still play a lot of Legends. It's like tai chi for me. I love the game's combat more than I'd like to admit, I guess, and Legends doesn't make me wade through unskippable cutscenes to fight a Mongol or ten - it's just fight, then fight, then fight again.

I love standing on a point, playing my flute as the Mongols descend on me, placid and calm until one of then raises their sword and kabam! I parry and it's on.

I'm a bit worried about Rivals mode 'cause if the other team has a Hunter With Stone Skipping Bow, I can't imagine how it'll be possible to win.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Ugh, three times now I've been matched with someone who on Curse of Onibaba Stage 3 just charges right into the fucking house wihout taking out the mob channeling the health regen aura.

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

@Viskod I got some time to kill. @ me if you want a hand.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid