As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's All Freak Out In The [Ghost of Tsushima] Thread

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Whoever said this was bad is smoking five different kinds of super crack

Some of the criticisms I was waiting to experience myself (Jin's VO, the combat, the story) but so far I'm not seeing it. Yes, I agree with Polygon's tiresome "You've played this game before" but that's not a bad thing at all.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    "End suffering." I love so many choices made in this game lol.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    ED! wrote: »

Some of the criticisms I was waiting to experience myself (Jin's VO, the combat, the story) but so far I'm not seeing it. Yes, I agree with Polygon's tiresome "You've played this game before" but that's not a bad thing at all.

Idk, in a lot of ways I feel like this game solves some of the problems of the modern mainstream open-world - that HUD that had all this information I thought I wanted. Turns out not having it there changes the game, and improves it in a beeeg way. To me.

As to Jin, the character...

I don't know that he's bland. At first it bothered me that he wasn't a nameless wanderer, but is in effect a prince. Like oh my god, rare is the little boy who dreamed of being a prince - but then it occurred to me...

A nameless wandered would not necessarily have the same attachment to how others perceive them, or be all that torn about breaking the code. The fact that Jin has that history and feels that weight makes his whole Ghost transformation actually meaningful in a story way.

Additionally, the fact that Jin's basically Prince of Tsushima means he really does feel a responsibility - and you might even say is the only person who has one - to put the island back together. I can see, now, why the Japanese reviewers liked it because Jin's not a blank slate or a nothing character - he's pretty well-defined, to me - and he is a supremely ethical person who has really internalized that it is his personal fucking responsibility to help people in need, if he sees it.

He sees himself as a servant of the people, and that's why he's cool with breaking the minutae of the code - because he knows that at its heart, they are rules to help inform being the best servant possible. So yes, Jin's Prince Abooboo, but he's also definitely the guy you want in that job. He's not even the selfish whelp who needs to learn that ruling means being responsible to your people - he's teaching other people that notion everywhere he goes.

Jin's kinda' pretty awesome. So far.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

I feel that will depend on how many of these games you've been playing. I've long since learned that I have time for one Ubisoft like open-worldathon roughly once every 2-3 months. I never play them more frequently than that, because I will always get burned out and utterly bored before I can get even 25% of the way through. So I play a diverse range of games in between so that once I do get to a open world stuff to find everywhere iconathon, I am keen on the exploration and similar to get through it.

I find these games infinitely more exhausting to play than just about any other kind of game sadly. If I tried to play this and say, Assassin's Creed Valhalla back to back or even within a month of one another whatever game I played second I couldn't get through at all. After I finish Sekiro, I'm possibly going to just start playing this because I am in such a Japan-orientated mood (I'm working on the platinum of Shadow Tactics as well). After this though, I'll be good for open world games for at least 2-3 months.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    This is the best game I've played in literal years.

Also, I've been playing in subtitled Japanese, and I like it a hell of a lot more than the English VA I've seen online.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    This game is so fucking good.

I was saying to my brother it felt like an open world single player Bushido Blade, which I’m pretty sure we wore the original PS1 disk out slaughtering each other.

He’s already got it and is killing his way through Japan.

They absolutely nailed the visuals too. The almost complete lack of a hud, using the wind to guide you, the vibrant colour palette. It’s like a japanese water colour painting come to life.

My jaw dropped when it pulled the title card while you’re riding through the tall grass. Looked so amazing.

Also also the way they guide you with rising smoke and colour is so great.

-Loki- on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    So I caved and decided to pick this up for my broke-ass launch-day PS4. I'm not very far in at all, but my initial gut reaction is thus:

I'm going to absolutely love the aesthetic and setting, attention to detail as far as gear and weapons and environments go, the battle and gameplay systems, and all that technical stuff

AND

I'm going to absolutely loathe the story, the themes of "honor and loyalty above all," and the cultural inaccuracy and romanticization/glossing over of actual Japanese history

Also I'm probably not going to like the main character, but I'm used to that so that's pretty much whatever.

edited July 2020
    So I caved and decided to pick this up for my broke-ass launch-day PS4. I'm not very far in at all, but my initial gut reaction is thus:

I'm going to absolutely love the aesthetic and setting, attention to detail as far as gear and weapons and environments go, the battle and gameplay systems, and all that technical stuff

AND

I'm going to absolutely loathe the story, the themes of "honor and loyalty above all," and the cultural inaccuracy and romanticization/glossing over of actual Japanese history

Also I'm probably not going to like the main character, but I'm used to that so that's pretty much whatever.

The side-stuff so far is the meat of it, for me. Jin's arc to Kill Khotun is its bones, but there's like 20 or 30 side things for ever 1 main story thing. I love that each side thing feels like an episode of Samurai Champloo except I'm playing Jin and everyone knows and likes me. And I got smoke bombs.

They're all these neat little stories that you enter like the dude in my Avatar and resolve with your peerless swordplay and even sharper mind.

Yum yum yummmm.

Chance on
  • BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    The standoff tutorial
    When your ninja/thief buddy is all "YEAH LET'S SLIT THEIR THROATS!" and Jin is just "NO. I will walk in through the goddamned front door. Like a mothafuckin' G" and then he did and it was awesome

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
    The standoff tutorial
    When your ninja/thief buddy is all "YEAH LET'S SLIT THEIR THROATS!" and Jin is just "NO. I will walk in through the goddamned front door. Like a mothafuckin' G" and then he did and it was awesome

Yeah but his first stealth kill is awesome / hilarious.

Chance wrote: »
    The standoff tutorial

"I'm gonna have a whole ass 10 minute flashback about honor and dignity and hunting a bear/assassin whoops I just stabbed like 8 people in the neck sorry Unc."

The standoff tutorial

"I'm gonna have a whole ass 10 minute flashback about honor and dignity and hunting a bear/assassin whoops I just stabbed like 8 people in the neck sorry Unc."

"Jin, I always taught you that to be a righteous dude you look someone in the eye when you kill them! If you kill them from behind, you are not a rad dude. You also state your name and lineage and whether or not your ancestors were directly responsible for any historic victories.
    Obviously. But above all else, be true to yourself - the self I taught you to be!"

"That's toxic masculinity, Bro. You taught me that to protect others was as radical as one could be - but is it not, then, both lame and bogus to fail those I could have protected, because I let our enemies see me coming? Hear me now, Uncle - slaughter's slaughter, and its righteousness is not in the how - it's in the why."

*Sniff* "You're a man now, Jin."

"I'm thirty-four, Uncle."

Also,
    I have a complaint!

I wish there were a setting that the bow didn't appear on your back until you drew it. Like a headgear setting, but for this colossal man-sized ring-snake colored bow obliterating my svelte ronin silhouette.

Solution found!

Once you get the distract-O-chimes, they go in the same aiming slot as your bow(s) - L2. Just equip those instead of the bow, and all that'll remain on your back is... the quiver of the last bow you were using. But the bow's gone!

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Earlier there was the comparison to Assassin Creed/Ubisoft open world games, which is really apt. This game has some of the same issues, but does a lot of things much better.

it's a small thing, but what I find for one of those is scale. The last two Assassins Creed games covered enormous tracts of land in tiny areas - Odyssey had the Greek Isles, Sparta, Athens, Macedonia and the surrounding areas in a tiny 16kmx16km area. There were times where it kinda worked, like standing on the Pyramids or on Mount Taygatos and just admiring the land, but when Ithaca was an island about 10m wide with a single house on it, the scale jumps right back to absurd.

While I was hoping for a larger tract of land than a single island in this, keeping the overall scope smaller let them make the same sized area that's not absurdly scaled. You still get stunning vistas, like standing on a mountaintop shrine and seeing the burning warzone over the horizon, seeing rolling fields of grass swaying in the wind and small villages, without the weird compressed feeling of also seeing Mount Fuji in the near background.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    My two current beefs with the game is once you start a tale, you can't really just drop and ignore what you're doing to explore much. Even a little something off the "path" and you get the 15 second alert.

And unless I just haven't been paying attention, there's no target lock button?

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The lack of lock-on, combined with an unhelpful camera and attacks on face buttons and not triggers, is definitely what I would call an issue

If the camera just pulled back a bit further and pointed more towards active enemies...

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    The lack of lock-on, combined with an unhelpful camera and attacks on face buttons and not triggers, is definitely what I would call an issue

If the camera just pulled back a bit further and pointed more towards active enemies...

Yeah I can adapt to the lack of lock-on, but the camera FOV needs to pull back some if you’re engaging multiple enemies.

Challenge Mongols to a Stand Off.
    Cut them down.
    Their allies start to surround me.
    Their leader lumbers through the crowd.
    He walks in front of a Spearman attack and gets poked from behind.
    I position so that the Leader is in-between myself and the Spearman.
    He gets poked again.
    And again.
    And again.
    Leader turns, attacks his ally, exposes his back to me.
    Literally one-shot him and unlock Water Stance.

I think a lock-on would kind of ruin what they're going for with the gameplay. And while the FOV is tight, I haven't been in any situation where I get two-timed by off camera enemies (other than archers).

. . .however, Jin does queue up attacks that have him facing in the wrong direction at inopportune moments , which wouldn't happen if there was a lock-on but that's a small price to pay as far as I'm concerned.

Sometimes I kill a few guys and then the combat music is still going and Jin is facing towards the camera by now so I have to spin it around in an attempt to find where the last guy is before he manages to hit me

I dunno, maybe I’m being picky but it just feels like a situation that shouldn’t happen in a game like this

signature-deffo.jpg
    On the other hand I want to straight up commend Sucker Punch for making a PS4 game that loads as fast as a PC version would

I was legit boggled when I died the first time and was back in the game in like two seconds! And I don’t even have a pro! It’s crazy!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    The one bug I keep seem to be running into is during the traversal challenges. When Jin is moving from a wall to a branch, and he puts his arm out in the universal gesture for "yes, player, I am going to jump to that branch if you press X now", then I press X and he kicks off the wall and not toward the branch and I fall.

I dunno if I'm doing it wrong or what, but it seems entirely random whether he jumps toward the branch or not, the animation is lying to me.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    The combat isn't like hyper deep or anything but it feels really good. The parries feel like they have impact and are blocking attacks, the quick attacks actually still feel like they're making an impact and cutting up dudes, but also guys aren't hp tanks, getting stabbed with a sword kills you pretty dead. So only the fatal hits look really fatal, you really don't need a hp bar at all to tell if that dude just died or not.

Also I like how sometimes combat is quite slow and deliberate, and then other times it can be crazy high tempo. I fought a shield boss at the dojo and we were clanging swords and spinning around each other constantly, as soon as it finished I wanted to reload and play it again.

Also I like that there's not a bunch of talent point sunk into like, do +10% backstab damage or anything like that. Pretty much all skill points are spent on buying cool things.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    I just keep on reacting to what this game throws at me in purely positive superlatives.

I'm walking through a bamboo grove, the moonlight glinting off my scabbard and wide-brimmed hat. I love this game.

I'm strolling through a liberated town. I stop and bow to a passing peasant, and she bows in response and we go our separate ways. I love this game.

I'm standing in a field of blue flowers. A spearman approaches, I change stances and raise my katana above my head. I'm ready. I love this game.

A perfect parry knocks an opponent off balance and in the time span of a hair's width, Jin snaps his sword up and through his enemy's breastbone. Jin stays motionless as an enemy nearby panicks and collapses in fear. I love this game.

I see a burst of red maple leaves up the hill. I can't see it yet, but I know what's at the base of that tree.

I love this fucking game lol. So much!

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Samurai Photographer Adventures (minor visual spoilers, in the sense that you might go "fuck, the world could look like that?")

Paying respects to the dead, at Tadayori's Rest
    t85or07sphyv.jpg

Jammin' on the Shakuhachi, at Golden Summit Shrine
    ve0vho11pk25.jpg

Dueling a Masked Avenger
    zomnsg5dopna.jpg

edited July 2020
    I took a screenshot this morning, as well. Messed around with it a little in photo mode, but it is largely unedited.
    tza1yr3uyd03.jpg

milk ducks on

These are the first 4 I did. The Kurosawa Mode and the battlefield ones are okay I think ^.^

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    The photo mode is great in this game and it’s so pretty. Though I feel about 70% of my photos in this game are going to be of Jin patting foxes.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Highly recommend bowing to the Frog-Lords in Hiyoshi.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    This is a stupid nit pick, but I HATE Jin's climbing animations. Or rather, lack off.

Almost all of them are him dynoing (leaping) from one hold to another. He must have the superhuman forearms.

Everything else has been really good though. Something I really appreciate is that once the game opens up, it doesn't tell you to go anywhere. You have stuff in your maps and you can do those in any order it seems, or just explore and talk to people, some who will mark locations in the map with quests.

My two current beefs with the game is once you start a tale, you can't really just drop and ignore what you're doing to explore much. Even a little something off the "path" and you get the 15 second alert.

And unless I just haven't been paying attention, there's no target lock button?

A lot of people (reviewers) complained about the lack of a lock on button, but I feel like it's a conscious choice and it has its payoffs. Combat is about the flow, and you need to be free to nail this dude with a kunai before immediately parrying this other dude and dashing off to two-shot an archer. The sound design is also so strong that when enemies are offscreen, I know goddamn well when they're about to fire an arrow at me, for example.

As for the "drop and ignore" thing? I found I absolutely could. Like I was doing a quest with the archer dude, noticed that there is almost-definitely a hot spring at an island just off the coast, and swam out to it. Instead of a hot spring, it was a guy practicing poorly with a found katana, because a lady had been taken prisoner by the mongols and was now on one of their boats. So Jin's like "dude, you stay here, let me handle this," and I'm like "can I do that in the middle of Archer Dude's quest?" So I accept and the screen goes black to load the boats and turns out yeah, you can! Glorious battle versus the Mongols, damsel rescued, and then another load, we're back on the island, I swam back across the channel and up to the beach where I'd left the Archer Dude.

There he was, right where I'd left him. Then I finished Archer Dude's quest.

There are a lot of little things this game does with open world design that pay off big, for me. It's a very, very comfortable game to play. It wants you to just... blow with the breeze, flow like the water, cut like a Samuraiiii!

Like the climbing, for example. It's simple and not realistic in the least, and certainly not compelling gameplay design like the mountain climbing in (BotW? Uncharted? AssCr?) - actually wait, climbing is rarely actually fun gameplay outside of a dedicated platformer. I'm not here to be Mario - the climbing isn't amazing, but it's completely grit-free. Any player will hit a wall in this game, see the white handhold, and press X and up - and they've got it. They're on their way, absolutely zero bottleneck of understanding or their intent to explore the world. Thumbs up - smooth like buttah, even if it's not as pretty as Uncharted 4.
    metaghost wrote: »
    Highly recommend bowing to the Frog-Lords in Hiyoshi.

Bow to everyone every time you think to is my motto lol

Like the foxes. A fox gets a bow hello and a bow thank you at the shrine, before it gets scritches.

Just got the title card for The Tale of Lady Masako. Oh dis gon be gud.

EdPEAxlWsAAiK3f.jpg

Ghosts of fashion.

never taking off this hat

EdPEAxlWsAAiK3f.jpg

Ghosts of fashion.

never taking off this hat

I love the hat and the big cuts in it, but I'm thus far perturbed by the absence of the classic straw hat, beyond the "weathered" version you get with the first Ronin gear.

I'm hoping you get one by upgrading the Traveler's gear.

I wish you could turn off this fucking bird. I don't want to be lead to shit. I want to find it on my own.

That bird is the spirit of my dead mother, and she waits for me while I dispatch these Mongols who've taken this peasant prisoner. She's a very good bird.

I wish you could turn off this fucking bird. I don't want to be lead to shit. I want to find it on my own.

Also I'm pretty sure there are charms to increase how often the bird shows up. I'm pretty sure I read that in a review somewhere.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Damn this game looks amazing man
    I am not playing it yet though

edited July 2020
    oh that was hilarious. Performed an air drop assassination and it flashbacked in the MIDDLE of this random outpost

"WE LOOK THEM IN THE EYE, JIN ಠ_ಠ" and then cut back to Jin shoving his sword straight into dude's torso at the shoulder "I'm sorry uncle...-_-"

Edit: I proceeded to mop up the rest of the camp but I felt really bad about it!

Beezel on
    oh that was hilarious. Performed an air drop assassination and it flashbacked in the MIDDLE of this random outpost

"WE LOOK THEM IN THE EYE, JIN ಠ_ಠ" and then cut back to Jin shoving his sword straight into dude's torso at the shoulder "I'm sorry uncle...-_-"

Edit: I proceeded to mop up the rest of the camp but I felt really bad about it!

I know for a fact there's a toxic masculinity joke in here somewhere

"Uncle... I am victorious over all our enemies!"

"But Jin, you fucking asshole! You slaughtered hundreds in the wrong way. You know exactly what I mean! I mean technically!"

(Tears pool and overwhelm Jin's eyes and he collapses to his knees.)

"I know, Uncle!" And together, they sob. "I'm a piece a shit!"

"So disappointed, Jin!"

And a lot of particles blow through the scene. Pretty ones ^.^