As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quarantimes 2: Quarantine Harder

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    KetBra wrote: »
    How many hours/roughly how much money did it take to put all that together, if you don't mind my asking?

Hmmm, altogether? I am lucky that I have an extremely cheap laser cutter in town targeting home makers which helps, but roughly $200 for the vanity, $100 for the acrylic (you could make your own with two way mirror film, a squeegee, a spray water bottle and acrylic and bring that cost down dramatically, but I fiddled with that in my last gig and it was annoying so I paid the premium), about $100 for the Pi kit, $150 for the monitor (I didn't have any lying around but if you do or are comfortable going thrifting in these times you can cut cost there too), $75 for the sensors and cabling, $80 for the labour of cutting the wood and acrylic and also the MDF. Plus the Hue stuff but I'll leave that out.

So about $700? But if you get less fancy and more hands-on, and use used parts and a picture frame or shadow box, you could probably drop it to like $300. You could also use an old tablet and other APIs that are less feature-rich and customizable, but I think are available for Android.

This is all in CAD, mind. It took me about a month with several hours each week, though the prototyping phase ate up up most of what I'd assume was 20ish hours?

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Platy
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I do feel slightly cheated that Cello doesn't have enormous horns, though.

what do you think the smart part of the smart-mirror is for

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    3cl1ps3Orca
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

what do you think the smart part of the smart-mirror is for

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

OrcaDoodmann

Well, time for a new project!

Steam
    3cl1ps3miscellaneousinsanityOrcaLaOsZibblsnrtMortal SkyDonovan Puppyfucker
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I mainly wanna know if Westjet gave you the refund

LaOs
    chromdom wrote: »
    I mainly wanna know if Westjet gave you the refund

I put off calling them til tomorrow

The mirror is trying to make me productive but it can't stop me from pushing back due dates!!

Steam
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Procrastination is future-proof because it's already a thing we do to avoid the future.

Take that, Shit We Need To Do. Get procrastinated!

CelloOrca
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I don't really feel that awesoming @Cello's post appropriately conveys my level of sheer ridiculous awe of accomplishment I am currently experiencing.

Additional statement of impression and reactions are necessary.

:eek:

:pop:

:tell_me_more:

:star:

:snap:

:cool:

:ar:

:crackle:

:heartbeat:

:bro:

:exclamation:

:hydra:

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    tynicwebguy20TynnanOrca3cl1ps3miscellaneousinsanityLaOsCelloJedocPlatyKadithchromdomMortal SkyVeldrinIloveslimesDonovan Puppyfucker
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Yea, I REALLY want one of those mirrors, event though it is completely impractical for me.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    BahamutZEROCelloMaddoc
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    What sensors did you add in cello?

Fishman wrote: »
    I don't really feel that awesoming @Cello's post appropriately conveys my level of sheer ridiculous awe of accomplishment I am currently experiencing.

Oh man, the full emoticon salute

I'm honored
    Blake T wrote: »

Nerd stuff:
    Specifically, I used the Aukru SR-501 PIR sensor, hidden on a table leg here:
    j0w49t2j4fcu.jpeg

And the Grove Gesture Sensor under the desk here:
    412vnouhpbiq.jpeg

The PIR can sense I think...up to 5m away according to the rating? So I have it pointed towards the hallway which usually only has traffic when I'm entering it.

The gesture sensor can sense movement in the left, right, up, down, forward, backward, clockwise, and counterclockwise directions (and waving which isn't TECHNICALLY a direction but hey). I'm finding I don't love how short a range it has though, and it seems to be alternately too sensitive and not sensitive enough, so I might switch it for total voice control and use the sensor for a different feature at some point.

I'm also using a first gen PSEye for the mic, because a. I already had it gathering dust and b. It has an integrated camera if I want to add that functionality at some point. I thought about mounting it into the backplate, but the paranoid part of me wanted to be able to cover the lens when the camera bit isn't in use; I might still do that eventually, but I think I might opt to just put a little shelf nearby instead, and just toss it there.

This also isn't really a sensor but the bottom of the mirror also has a little Philips Hue Button magnet mount. (The button is a little portable thing you can use to turn on all the lights in the room, with the brightness and shade depending on the time of day.) I uh, actually put it there because I initially drilled a hole for the gesture sensor, found that it was too far back to sense any movement at all when mounted at the rear, decided I didn't want to risk dremelling and mounting the sensor up front under some laser cut acrylic or something for it to only not work, and then decided fuck it, I'll add even MORE dumb tech to my room. Conveniently that mounting plate matches the aesthetic perfectly, hahaha.

Steam
    tynicBahamutZEROPlaty3cl1ps3FishmanDonovan Puppyfucker
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I had a membership to 24 Hour Fitness a while ago, and now that they've declared bankruptcy they sent me a letter telling me what was going on for them.

The envelope had a really weird line on it above my address though.
    %%% 24HRMEMB <numbers> SRF <numbers> PackID: <numbers> MMLID: <numbers> SVC: Former

I redacted the numbers that are probably my customer IDs in their big spreadsheet, but that's what this probably is, right? They accidentally printed out the cells with my information onto the address field? It's very weird and pretty funny.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Woo! Passed with one vote! Fuck off, everyone who wants to cough on me!
    Wait, shit. One of the exceptions is "People in any federal, state, or county building or facility." I get the feeling that this is where the "county" in "city-county library system" is going to bite us in the ass once again.

Our lawyers said we can enforce the mask mandate!

Continue fucking off, everyone who wants to cough on me!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    3cl1ps3tynicMunkus Beaverwebguy20LabelMagic PinkCaptain InertiaTynnanRanlinshoeboxjeddychromdomCelloSporkAndrewmightyjongyoDouglasDangerMulysaSemproniusBloodsheedIloveslimesDonovan PuppyfuckerHappy Little Machine
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Wait, shit. One of the exceptions is "People in any federal, state, or county building or facility." I get the feeling that this is where the "county" in "city-county library system" is going to bite us in the ass once again.

Can you wear a ballistics vest when asking them? I seriously worry about people getting shot when trying to ask people.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

DouglasDanger
    I don't really worry about the patrons at my library. We're handing out paper masks at the door, it's another rule to grumble at and get over.

Most of the really vile hatred over safety regs we've encountered so far has been from the branches in rich white neighborhoods. The first time we had a librarian threatened was at a branch up by the fancy shopping mall. We weren't even requiring masks, some Orange County Choppers-looking motherfucker was just pissed that the staff were wearing masks.

I at least have the comfort of knowing that if I get shot on the job, it won't be for a boring reason like enforcing a mask mandate.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

I want to own and star in that dvd

• TefTef Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    This reddit post was cross posted to a labour subreddit I follow. It paints a very grim view of Disney’s re-opening. I guess it’s a bit of a, ‘no shit, Sherlock’ moment but it’s still really sad to see. Probably worth taking with a pinch of salt, given it’s an unverified reddit post, but it certainly seems plausible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FloridaCoronavirus/comments/htyrnq/what_theme_park_workers_arent_allowed_to_tell_you/

Edit: also a reminder that strong labour unions can and would go in to bat for their workers and minimise risk

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I sneezed twice today and was feeling cold when I went out for a ride (probably because it’s 13C here right now and I was wearing a t-shirt ) BUT REGARDLESS I’ll be spending the evening huddled on the couch in a paranoid ball waiting to see if I develop Symptoms.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    part of me feels the person with the constant cough whom disappeared last week after complaining about the cost of the test really has it at work
    The other person who is a truther and a silly goose might have it as well {both avoided getting their temp checked at the start of work because they downloaded the app and lie}

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    WOO! I think my test came back negative this time. I think. Pretty sure.

I am almost 99% I am finally fucking covid free.

tynicCrippl33cl1ps3TynnanCellomrpakuFishmanPlatyKetarchromdomBahamutZEROVeldrinSolarLabelBlake TmightyjongyoJedocMagic PinkDouglasDangerNarbusIronKnuckle's GhostIloveslimessponoDonovan PuppyfuckerAl_watHappy Little MachineDisruptedCapitalist
    Well, aside from whatever time bomb blood clot bullshit is going to kill me unexpectedly in 5 to 10 years, I guess.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Well, aside from whatever time bomb blood clot bullshit is going to kill me unexpectedly in 5 to 10 years, I guess.

Sounds like you need to beat it to the draw with sweet sweet bourbon, and plates of bacon.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the "you can't fire me, I quit" approach to life expectancy

BahamutZERO.gif
    Magic PinkCaptain Inertiawebguy203cl1ps3ZonugalCrippl3TefDonovan PuppyfuckerHappy Little Machine
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

Oh man, the full emoticon salute

I'm honored
    Blake T wrote: »

Nerd stuff:
    Specifically, I used the Aukru SR-501 PIR sensor, hidden on a table leg here:
    j0w49t2j4fcu.jpeg

And the Grove Gesture Sensor under the desk here:
    412vnouhpbiq.jpeg

The PIR can sense I think...up to 5m away according to the rating? So I have it pointed towards the hallway which usually only has traffic when I'm entering it.

The gesture sensor can sense movement in the left, right, up, down, forward, backward, clockwise, and counterclockwise directions (and waving which isn't TECHNICALLY a direction but hey). I'm finding I don't love how short a range it has though, and it seems to be alternately too sensitive and not sensitive enough, so I might switch it for total voice control and use the sensor for a different feature at some point.

I'm also using a first gen PSEye for the mic, because a. I already had it gathering dust and b. It has an integrated camera if I want to add that functionality at some point. I thought about mounting it into the backplate, but the paranoid part of me wanted to be able to cover the lens when the camera bit isn't in use; I might still do that eventually, but I think I might opt to just put a little shelf nearby instead, and just toss it there.

This also isn't really a sensor but the bottom of the mirror also has a little Philips Hue Button magnet mount. (The button is a little portable thing you can use to turn on all the lights in the room, with the brightness and shade depending on the time of day.) I uh, actually put it there because I initially drilled a hole for the gesture sensor, found that it was too far back to sense any movement at all when mounted at the rear, decided I didn't want to risk dremelling and mounting the sensor up front under some laser cut acrylic or something for it to only not work, and then decided fuck it, I'll add even MORE dumb tech to my room. Conveniently that mounting plate matches the aesthetic perfectly, hahaha.

Since it has a microphone you should get something to show up in the mirror if you saw Bloody Mary three times.

SporkAndrewJedocMagic PinkGrey GhostNarbusCaptain InertiaIloveslimes3cl1ps3tynicKetarCelloDonovan PuppyfuckerHappy Little Machine
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    that's 50% occupancy?

when the boat is full do passengers hang off the sides?

Orca
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    has anyone seen these anti-mask masks they're selling on etsy?

a pink one with "my husband didn't serve so i would have to wear a mask" pretty much blew me away

Yes

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    They probably forced everyone onto the outside of the boat. The inside is the other 50%

MulysaSempronius on
    If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Captain InertiaUsagi
    Yes and I think that's what finally broke me.

I don't have any snarky comeback for it. I don't have a way to laugh it off or turn it into a joke. I am just completely defeated. My initial, intense, seething hatred of these people, my desire to see them come to actual, physical harm has completely given way to a staid acceptance. These people are here. There is no justice in this world so they will probably never suffer any sort of consequences for their actions, they'll live long and healthy lives and die happy and smug.

Happy Wednesday.

Magic PinkAistan
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    that's 50% occupancy?

when the boat is full do passengers hang off the sides?

I rode that boat a few years ago

Yeah, it is full well past the point of safety

You're literally shoulder to shoulder

Captain InertiaLindsay Lohan
    You can maintain social distancing going over the falls in a barrel

CellotynicDoodmannOdin
    Ok I might've jumped the gun my test is still processing, it just showed up on my online chart early.

So I am currently in a state of being both infected and not infected. I am Schrodinger's Sad, Sad Man.

BahamutZERO
    does that mean we have to put you in a box

Please god yes

Put me in a box and bury me deep down in the dark and quiet earth

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Please god yes

Reflect on... Existentialism

Please god yes

let me get the shoes out of it

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I have got to learn not to borrow other people's hair clippers. Just accidentally gave myself a skinhead. Again.

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I want to awesome that, but also not.

Condolences, I guess, for the messed up hair?

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Eh, it will grow back. Plus now I get to enjoy rubbing my fuzzy head for a couple of weeks

mrpakuAshaman42tynicchromdomUsagiBahamutZEROLabelTynnanAistanVeldrinPlatySporkAndrewDonovan PuppyfuckerHappy Little Machine
This discussion has been closed.