American Election 2020: Definitely a Thing That is Happening

24567101

Posts

  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Pick Tammy Duckworth

    Also this ad has stuck with me

    no idea if it will move any R's but, yeah

    Mild ConfusionGONG-00NobeardmonikerLord_AsmodeussanstodoMosatinever dieMorganVAbsoluteZerosyndalisRius
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm of the opinion that cabinet/VP positions should go to people not already in positions of power where they could do some good.

    Having your cabinet be made up of Senators and members of the House doesn't do a ton to help and could do a lot to hurt your chances of actually getting legislation passed.

    The VP position would be most useful for elevating someone who doesn't currently hold a lot of actual power, allowing them to either be the presumptive nominee in a later Presidential election or to have incredible name-recognition for a run at something else.
    Preacher wrote: »
    I swear the amount of praise people give to Project Lincoln is sickening. Sure they turned on Trump specifically now, but they are just as complicit with him being where he is now as a lot of the people they are pillorying. Hell if anything they feel comfortable doing this now because Trump gave them all those judgeships and put two new hard right justices on the bench.

    They are indeed real prize assholes, but I'm willing to bet a good chunk of people just don't know who they are. They're making ads that are fun for a person who hates Trump to watch, so they're getting a lot of folks talking about how fun they are to watch. But like I don't see them turning that into "annnnd let's talk about how we need to eliminate the capital gains tax!" too easily. I think the effectiveness of the ad work they're doing relies pretty exclusively on how personally contemptible the president is.

    Still it's definitely like completely out of line to give them any money or support. Those fuckers are 100% 'enemy of my enemy remains distinctly my enemy and will be coming at me with a knife again in a few months'.

    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    FencingsaxMillKamarRingomonikerMan in the MistsMosatiMagellTofystedethemp123SmrtnikColanutKristmas Kthulhu
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I forgot about Duckworth!

    I'd be down with that, too.

    RedTide
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I personally like the Texas and I guess north Carolina ad that is just Biden telling the state he won't abandon them, because right now that's where it feels like a majority of the country is from the Trump administration. Ignored and hoping we die quickly.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    durandal4532No-QuarterjmcdonaldFencingsaxMarathonKamarRingoNobeardmonikerLord_AsmodeusTofystedeth
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I personally like the Texas and I guess north Carolina ad that is just Biden telling the state he won't abandon them, because right now that's where it feels like a majority of the country is from the Trump administration. Ignored and hoping we die quickly.

    I've seen more than one suggestion of a ten second ad that consists of "I'm Joe Biden, and I won't demand that you think about me all day, every day."

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    JeanFencingsaxOghulkPolaritieDacRingoNobeardMoridin889monikerMan in the MistsLord_Asmodeusnever dieVeagleMorganVIlpalaEinzelAbsoluteZeroHappylilElfTofystedethRawkking Goodguyemp123ColanutSkeithMr RayFoolOnTheHill
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I personally like the Texas and I guess north Carolina ad that is just Biden telling the state he won't abandon them, because right now that's where it feels like a majority of the country is from the Trump administration. Ignored and hoping we die quickly.

    It's a powerful narrative to seed when it comes to swaying swing voters/demoralizing Trump voters. Like the fact that he was a stupid, loud mouthed racist was part of his selling point.

    Putting the idea in people's heads that he quit on them hits on a different avenue then the ones available to us prior to him actually taking office.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    durandal4532Commander ZoomFencingsaxQuidOghulkmonikerLord_AsmodeusMan in the Mistsnever dieemp123
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Make Politics Boring Again!

    (A joke, engagement is important, but that's a separate issue from Trump's incessant whargarbl.)

    Jean
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Pick Tammy Duckworth

    Also this ad has stuck with me

    no idea if it will move any R's but, yeah


    This is a great advert

    shryke wrote: »
    ...Barack "charisma isn't a dump stat, nerds" Obama...
    LucedesTicaldfjamMild ConfusionNobeardMoridin889Lord_AsmodeusWACriminalnever dieMunkus Beaver38thDoeAbsoluteZeroHappylilElfMr RayRehab
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I personally like the Texas and I guess north Carolina ad that is just Biden telling the state he won't abandon them, because right now that's where it feels like a majority of the country is from the Trump administration. Ignored and hoping we die quickly.

    I've seen more than one suggestion of a ten second ad that consists of "I'm Joe Biden, and I won't demand that you think about me all day, every day."

    Biden has literally tweeted out things like "I'll read my briefing" like he's simply telling people he'll actually be the president and not just a goober on a golf course.

    Biden also has emapthy in a way that Trump doesn't. He's buried family members before their time and lived that hurt, the country is in mourning and he's been there before.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Commander ZoomTicaldfjamFencingsaxjmcdonaldQuiddurandal4532Mild ConfusionDacknitdanRingoNobeardBullheadMoridin889monikerLord_AsmodeusMan in the MistsStabbity StylekimebrynhrtmnKoopahTroopahArdolnever dieMunkus Beaver38thDoeAbsoluteZeroTofystedethHeiremp123SmrtnikColanutSkeithMr Ray
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Honestly, from the outside, haven't seen many things happening on the election front thanks to the whole "multiple national crisis" thing, besides the rare Biden statement. And the way that this hell year has been going, there's likely going to be another one (or several) from here to November. So that's pretty much almost all the oxygen on the room.

    So....there's going to be a debate on Skype or something? I don't know.

  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think Biden has a lot of good options for VP, and I will probably be happy with his pick.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Warren would be my VP pick for the reasons EB stated. She's the most likely to do really good work in rebuilding the Executive from the ground up, and maybe helping fix some gaps and holes along the way. Plus as VP, maybe she'll have the freedom to hop around as needed to consult on things in Congress and basically take Biden's roll for Obama of broaching subjects to "force" his hand on topics.

    If she's not VP, she'd better be in the cabinet someplace.

  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I think Biden has a lot of good options for VP, and I will probably be happy with his pick.

    You say that now, but what if he picks Carrot Top? EH WHAT THEN FENCING?!

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I think Biden has a lot of good options for VP, and I will probably be happy with his pick.

    You say that now, but what if he picks Carrot Top? EH WHAT THEN FENCING?!

    Well then, I will eat crow.

    torchlight-sig-80.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The bar has been lowered so much that "is able to at least pretend to have emotions that don't involve narcissism" is a huge advantage over his opponent.

    NobeardKayne Red RobeMr RayOrcaKristmas Kthulhu
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Warren would be my VP pick for the reasons EB stated. She's the most likely to do really good work in rebuilding the Executive from the ground up, and maybe helping fix some gaps and holes along the way. Plus as VP, maybe she'll have the freedom to hop around as needed to consult on things in Congress and basically take Biden's roll for Obama of broaching subjects to "force" his hand on topics.

    If she's not VP, she'd better be in the cabinet someplace.

    I really cannot disagree strongly enough.

    The cabinet don't get super powers. If Joe Biden would like to pay attention to what Liz Warren prioritizes, it's frankly easier for him to do that via signing her bills into law. Massachusetts is a state that can and has made the grievously foolish decision to elect a Republican Senator relatively recently, they're not a 100% lock for a replacement. Plus they've got a Republican Governor.

    To do anything at all that risks anything less than a real commanding Senate majority would be a ridiculously silly thing to do. Particularly if it means drawing a Senator out in order to put them into a mostly ceremonial position.

    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    LucedesPreacherOghulkjmcdonaldMillPhoenix-DCommander ZoomDacBigJoeMCaptain CarrotCaedwyrBullheadMoridin889monikerLord_AsmodeusKraintLord PalingtonAistannever dieMorganVMagellEinzelTofystedethDisruptedCapitalistCalicaemp123Kayne Red RobeMatevColanutSkeithFoolOnTheHillKristmas KthulhuKwoaru
  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    If Warren personally wants to be in the cabinet because she thinks she’ll be able to achieve more there, then sure.

    durandal4532RingoNobeardBullheadMoridin889monikerMan in the MistsArdolHeiremp123ColanutBandableKristmas Kthulhu
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Tammy Duckworth is also in the running for Veep, and Biden did pretty well the last time he ran nationally with the Junior Senator from Illinois.

    Mostly I'm hoping he picks Abrams, though. She has a bright future, but no pathway towards it. Plus picking her doesn't open up anything contestable to potentially lose for no reason, like all those Senators. Also, while Durbin has always been my favourite Senator, he's getting up there in the years and we need someone to gain seniority for when he retires. Everyone else in that seat only ever seems to serve a single term.

    Duckworth is the dark horse candidate imo. There were some reports her and Biden got along well and also everything I've read about her says she's pretty awesome.

    I like Duckworth for VP a lot. Her strengths are in many areas that help Biden. She’s smart, a minority, isn’t afraid to tell people like Tucker Carlson to fuck off, has experience in case Biden passes, and is a vet.

    I would love to see Trump and his campaign try and sell people on the old notion that only Republicans respect the military..while Biden has a veteran on the ticket with him.

    jmcdonaldMild ConfusionDacmonikerMosatiVeagleMorganVadejaanemp123ColanutSkeith
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Warren would be my VP pick for the reasons EB stated. She's the most likely to do really good work in rebuilding the Executive from the ground up, and maybe helping fix some gaps and holes along the way. Plus as VP, maybe she'll have the freedom to hop around as needed to consult on things in Congress and basically take Biden's roll for Obama of broaching subjects to "force" his hand on topics.

    If she's not VP, she'd better be in the cabinet someplace.

    I really cannot disagree strongly enough.

    The cabinet don't get super powers. If Joe Biden would like to pay attention to what Liz Warren prioritizes, it's frankly easier for him to do that via signing her bills into law. Massachusetts is a state that can and has made the grievously foolish decision to elect a Republican Senator relatively recently, they're not a 100% lock for a replacement. Plus they've got a Republican Governor.

    To do anything at all that risks anything less than a real commanding Senate majority would be a ridiculously silly thing to do. Particularly if it means drawing a Senator out in order to put them into a mostly ceremonial position.

    Yeah as the dems need the senate now more than ever taking a senator from a state that has a GOP governor is a bad move. I'm also leery of taking a governor like Whitmer because I feel she's more important in michigan helping people there, then she would be as a vice president and I'd worry who would potentially replace her.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    BullheadmonikerMan in the Mistsemp123Colanut
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Warren cabinet ideas: if you give her Justice, great. Anything else except maybe Treasury she should stay in the Senate.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    MvrckshrykeTicaldfjammoniker
  • OghulkOghulk Registered User regular
    Warren is the type of policy wonk that would do extremely well and be an incredibly effective administrator in a cabinet pick but also should be the person actually writing the legislation going through Congress. Kinda divided on which position, but I don't think VP is a good choice for her given the lack of effect she can have there.

    FencingsaxCommander ZoomshrykeCaedwyrNobeardMan in the Mistsemp123Colanut
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I personally like the Texas and I guess north Carolina ad that is just Biden telling the state he won't abandon them, because right now that's where it feels like a majority of the country is from the Trump administration. Ignored and hoping we die quickly.

    I've seen more than one suggestion of a ten second ad that consists of "I'm Joe Biden, and I won't demand that you think about me all day, every day."

    Biden has literally tweeted out things like "I'll read my briefing" like he's simply telling people he'll actually be the president and not just a goober on a golf course.

    Biden also has emapthy in a way that Trump doesn't. He's buried family members before their time and lived that hurt, the country is in mourning and he's been there before.

    All his ads seem to be like "I'm a normal human being who cares about other people and would run a normal administration"

    Moridin889HeirColanut
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Warren would be my VP pick for the reasons EB stated. She's the most likely to do really good work in rebuilding the Executive from the ground up, and maybe helping fix some gaps and holes along the way. Plus as VP, maybe she'll have the freedom to hop around as needed to consult on things in Congress and basically take Biden's roll for Obama of broaching subjects to "force" his hand on topics.

    If she's not VP, she'd better be in the cabinet someplace.

    I really cannot disagree strongly enough.

    The cabinet don't get super powers. If Joe Biden would like to pay attention to what Liz Warren prioritizes, it's frankly easier for him to do that via signing her bills into law. Massachusetts is a state that can and has made the grievously foolish decision to elect a Republican Senator relatively recently, they're not a 100% lock for a replacement. Plus they've got a Republican Governor.

    To do anything at all that risks anything less than a real commanding Senate majority would be a ridiculously silly thing to do. Particularly if it means drawing a Senator out in order to put them into a mostly ceremonial position.

    Yeah as the dems need the senate now more than ever taking a senator from a state that has a GOP governor is a bad move. I'm also leery of taking a governor like Whitmer because I feel she's more important in michigan helping people there, then she would be as a vice president and I'd worry who would potentially replace her.

    Whitmer would be replaced by her running mate, Garlin Gilchrist. If needed the Massachusetts legislature could pass a bill that required a member of the same party to be picked to replace Senators until the special election were held. Hopefully Mass Dems would be smart enough to nominate a good campaigner (say, Pressley) for that. And not Martha Coakley.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Tammy Duckworth is also in the running for Veep, and Biden did pretty well the last time he ran nationally with the Junior Senator from Illinois.

    Mostly I'm hoping he picks Abrams, though. She has a bright future, but no pathway towards it. Plus picking her doesn't open up anything contestable to potentially lose for no reason, like all those Senators. Also, while Durbin has always been my favourite Senator, he's getting up there in the years and we need someone to gain seniority for when he retires. Everyone else in that seat only ever seems to serve a single term.

    Duckworth is the dark horse candidate imo. There were some reports her and Biden got along well and also everything I've read about her says she's pretty awesome.

    I like Duckworth for VP a lot. Her strengths are in many areas that help Biden. She’s smart, a minority, isn’t afraid to tell people like Tucker Carlson to fuck off, has experience in case Biden passes, and is a vet.

    I would love to see Trump and his campaign try and sell people on the old notion that only Republicans respect the military..while Biden has a veteran on the ticket with him.

    GOP already slandered the fuck out of John Kerry for GWB and the media rolled along with it. Duckworth has already been the target of this from Tucker Carlson, and if she was the VEEP she'd have the usual "just asking questions" set saying how she's not a real combat veteran and how she doesn't honor the troops because *insert reasons*.

    In america Democrats will always be behind this particular "hates the military" 8 ball

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    shrykemonikerAistanMagellemp123Kayne Red RobeKristmas Kthulhu
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    It's worth noting how a Dem president will essentially resolve any and all issues we have been having with Covid at the federal level.

    It's obviously a given, but it should ABSOULTELY be a focal point to the campaign. I know Biden has spoken about it, but we should hammer that point home every chance we get.

    His Texas ad is exactly what I mean. Someone else in the thread mentioned it, and it should be reiterated. It's likely the most effective way to peel off, or demorailze lean-Rs. That and discussing how Trump hasn't done jackshit to bring back coal jobs, and highlighting Ivanka's Let them eat beans "Find Something New" garbage helps hammer that fact home.

    jmcdonaldmonikerMan in the Mistsemp123
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Warren is the type of policy wonk that would do extremely well and be an incredibly effective administrator in a cabinet pick but also should be the person actually writing the legislation going through Congress. Kinda divided on which position, but I don't think VP is a good choice for her given the lack of effect she can have there.

    She can help Congress write legislation as VP. She just can't bring it to the floor.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yeah even as a pretty solid Warren supporter she feels wasted at VP. Cabinet is kinda okay, but I'd rather she just stay my senator cause I don't want to watch my state Scott Brown itself in a special election again.

    Commander ZoomAlexandierQuidBullheadMoridin889monikerMan in the MistsMosatiVeagleEinzelemp123Kristmas Kthulhu
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I want Warren to have power so she can make stuff happen. The only reason to make her VP is extremely morbid.

    SleepNobeardmonikerAistanemp123Matev
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Tammy Duckworth is also in the running for Veep, and Biden did pretty well the last time he ran nationally with the Junior Senator from Illinois.

    Mostly I'm hoping he picks Abrams, though. She has a bright future, but no pathway towards it. Plus picking her doesn't open up anything contestable to potentially lose for no reason, like all those Senators. Also, while Durbin has always been my favourite Senator, he's getting up there in the years and we need someone to gain seniority for when he retires. Everyone else in that seat only ever seems to serve a single term.

    Duckworth is the dark horse candidate imo. There were some reports her and Biden got along well and also everything I've read about her says she's pretty awesome.

    I like Duckworth for VP a lot. Her strengths are in many areas that help Biden. She’s smart, a minority, isn’t afraid to tell people like Tucker Carlson to fuck off, has experience in case Biden passes, and is a vet.

    I would love to see Trump and his campaign try and sell people on the old notion that only Republicans respect the military..while Biden has a veteran on the ticket with him.

    GOP already slandered the fuck out of John Kerry for GWB and the media rolled along with it. Duckworth has already been the target of this from Tucker Carlson, and if she was the VEEP she'd have the usual "just asking questions" set saying how she's not a real combat veteran and how she doesn't honor the troops because *insert reasons*.

    In america Democrats will always be behind this particular "hates the military" 8 ball

    Fuck that, I'm sick of rolling over because of what Republicans.

    Fuck em, that's what Duckworth would say.

    Mild ConfusionjmcdonaldFencingsaxNobeardMan in the MistsMosatiHeir
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Tammy Duckworth is also in the running for Veep, and Biden did pretty well the last time he ran nationally with the Junior Senator from Illinois.

    Mostly I'm hoping he picks Abrams, though. She has a bright future, but no pathway towards it. Plus picking her doesn't open up anything contestable to potentially lose for no reason, like all those Senators. Also, while Durbin has always been my favourite Senator, he's getting up there in the years and we need someone to gain seniority for when he retires. Everyone else in that seat only ever seems to serve a single term.

    Duckworth is the dark horse candidate imo. There were some reports her and Biden got along well and also everything I've read about her says she's pretty awesome.

    I like Duckworth for VP a lot. Her strengths are in many areas that help Biden. She’s smart, a minority, isn’t afraid to tell people like Tucker Carlson to fuck off, has experience in case Biden passes, and is a vet.

    I would love to see Trump and his campaign try and sell people on the old notion that only Republicans respect the military..while Biden has a veteran on the ticket with him.

    GOP already slandered the fuck out of John Kerry for GWB and the media rolled along with it. Duckworth has already been the target of this from Tucker Carlson, and if she was the VEEP she'd have the usual "just asking questions" set saying how she's not a real combat veteran and how she doesn't honor the troops because *insert reasons*.

    In america Democrats will always be behind this particular "hates the military" 8 ball

    They were able to smear Kerry on his vet stuff because he was an effete aristocrat clinically incapable of connecting with anyone. Duckworth will fair better in that regard.

    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Mild ConfusionFencingsaxBullheadmonikerBloodsheedMan in the MistsMosatiJaysonFourHeirSkeith
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I want Warren to have power so she can make stuff happen. The only reason to make her VP is extremely morbid.

    And yet it is a reason we need to take incredibly seriously. It simply must be considered, it's a natural consequence of Biden's age. It would have been even with Warren, but with Joe there's a strong likelihood he won't make 2 terms.

    Phoenix-DNobeard
  • MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Tammy Duckworth is also in the running for Veep, and Biden did pretty well the last time he ran nationally with the Junior Senator from Illinois.

    Mostly I'm hoping he picks Abrams, though. She has a bright future, but no pathway towards it. Plus picking her doesn't open up anything contestable to potentially lose for no reason, like all those Senators. Also, while Durbin has always been my favourite Senator, he's getting up there in the years and we need someone to gain seniority for when he retires. Everyone else in that seat only ever seems to serve a single term.

    Duckworth is the dark horse candidate imo. There were some reports her and Biden got along well and also everything I've read about her says she's pretty awesome.

    I like Duckworth for VP a lot. Her strengths are in many areas that help Biden. She’s smart, a minority, isn’t afraid to tell people like Tucker Carlson to fuck off, has experience in case Biden passes, and is a vet.

    I would love to see Trump and his campaign try and sell people on the old notion that only Republicans respect the military..while Biden has a veteran on the ticket with him.

    GOP already slandered the fuck out of John Kerry for GWB and the media rolled along with it. Duckworth has already been the target of this from Tucker Carlson, and if she was the VEEP she'd have the usual "just asking questions" set saying how she's not a real combat veteran and how she doesn't honor the troops because *insert reasons*.

    In america Democrats will always be behind this particular "hates the military" 8 ball

    I think the general public would have a different reaction this time if they try to swiftboat Duckworth.

    She’s a woman and also lost her legs. Kerry has his medals, but his sacrifice was pretty different. I’m sure some people would buy whatever bullshit the GOP tried. But I think the general public, along with hopefully some portion of our military that Trump’s been shitting on for 4 years would take issue with it.

    Mild ConfusionNo-QuarterjmcdonaldFencingsaxMoridin889Man in the MistssanstodoMosatiHeirMr Ray
  • wanderingwandering Registered User regular
    Picking Kamala Harris for VP or anything else, in the middle of widespread Black Lives Matters protests against the police, when she used to throw people behind bars for a living, would be remarkably tone-deaf

    So, yeah, seems like something that Biden would do

    w4c8g6uf3igi.jpg
    Styrofoam SammichMild ConfusionBullheadBloodsheedEmerlmaster999videobobboAistanMosatiVeagleMagellAbsoluteZeroKayne Red RobeYamiB.MatevThorn413SkeithMr RayDavid WalgasFANTOMASqwer12
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 18
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    It's worth noting how a Dem president will essentially resolve any and all issues we have been having with Covid at the federal level.

    I'm honestly not sure that's possible anymore. Trump has poisoned the well on that so much that any attempt to provide a unified Federal response is going to be met with opposition both from from a minority populace who have been trained to think any COVID responses are assaults on freedoms (and as we've seen, if you're right-wing, the cops are totally down with your armed protests), and the extreme corruption of the opposing party on the state and federal levels. Even if Dem leaning states can muster up the courage to get on board, unless they start closing the borders between states down (which I think is unconstitutional), it's not going to matter much.

    The Fire Department is certainly better at handling fires than the three stooges, but if the stoogers have already let the building burn halfway to the ground, there's only so much the Fire Department can do.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    Unless the GOP gets crushed this fall, I'd rather not pull members of the cabinet from the Senate. Obama wasn't able to get a ton of things done once the GOP captured one chamber of Congress. Republicans are the kind of rat fuckers that will bring everything to a halt and then blame democrats for nothing getting done. Best to leave senate democrats in the senate. If they killed the filibuster they could do plenty of things that a President Biden could sign into law.

    The polling thus far is pretty bonkers. I suspect all three current crisis are playing their part. Trump is pretty content to sacrifice old people in a futile attempt to jumpstart the economy so his polling improves. Of course the joke is on him because there is no way the economy looks good by election day at this point, even if a vaccine magically appears. It's also pretty apparent that Trump and republicans really wanted to run on "look at how great the economy is doing!" Then there is the whole police brutality thing, where Trump looks like absolute shit. Obviously, we're four and half months out from election day roughly, which is an eternity or two in politics. So public perception could shift to a point where thins are nearly as dire for Trump or the public sours further than any of us thought possible, I mean it already has, but it could still get worse for Trump and the GOP.

    FencingsaxCommander Zoom
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited July 18
    Marathon wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Tammy Duckworth is also in the running for Veep, and Biden did pretty well the last time he ran nationally with the Junior Senator from Illinois.

    Mostly I'm hoping he picks Abrams, though. She has a bright future, but no pathway towards it. Plus picking her doesn't open up anything contestable to potentially lose for no reason, like all those Senators. Also, while Durbin has always been my favourite Senator, he's getting up there in the years and we need someone to gain seniority for when he retires. Everyone else in that seat only ever seems to serve a single term.

    Duckworth is the dark horse candidate imo. There were some reports her and Biden got along well and also everything I've read about her says she's pretty awesome.

    I like Duckworth for VP a lot. Her strengths are in many areas that help Biden. She’s smart, a minority, isn’t afraid to tell people like Tucker Carlson to fuck off, has experience in case Biden passes, and is a vet.

    I would love to see Trump and his campaign try and sell people on the old notion that only Republicans respect the military..while Biden has a veteran on the ticket with him.

    GOP already slandered the fuck out of John Kerry for GWB and the media rolled along with it. Duckworth has already been the target of this from Tucker Carlson, and if she was the VEEP she'd have the usual "just asking questions" set saying how she's not a real combat veteran and how she doesn't honor the troops because *insert reasons*.

    In america Democrats will always be behind this particular "hates the military" 8 ball

    I think the general public would have a different reaction this time if they try to swiftboat Duckworth.

    She’s a woman and also lost her legs. Kerry has his medals, but his sacrifice was pretty different. I’m sure some people would buy whatever bullshit the GOP tried. But I think the general public, along with hopefully some portion of our military that Trump’s been shitting on for 4 years would take issue with it.

    I don't have faith in "they surely won't go after this vet." I like Duckworth, she's a fighter, but she'll be buried in shit from the right and horseshoed from the left for being a combat vet.

    I mean fuck sake in Arizona they are going after Mark Kelly for being beholden to China.

    Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar Audio Game Developer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    A number of Americans will absolutely not comply with the required actions that would eliminate Covid, regardless of who is president. A democrat in charge reduce the damage, but we're still going to be riding this out for at least another year.

    Nobeard
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    A number of Americans will absolutely not comply with the required actions that would eliminate Covid, regardless of who is president. A democrat in charge reduce the damage, but we're still going to be riding this out for at least another year.

    I think a Biden win would actually galvanize a lot of right leaners to do worse at protecting themselves from covid to "own the libs". Like the amount of hatred on the right that has been stoked by this president and continued to be stoked doesn't just go away after election day.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    shrykeIncenjucarFencingsaxMoridin889monikerMan in the MistsEmerlmaster999AistanVeagleemp123Mr Ray
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Marathon wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Tammy Duckworth is also in the running for Veep, and Biden did pretty well the last time he ran nationally with the Junior Senator from Illinois.

    Mostly I'm hoping he picks Abrams, though. She has a bright future, but no pathway towards it. Plus picking her doesn't open up anything contestable to potentially lose for no reason, like all those Senators. Also, while Durbin has always been my favourite Senator, he's getting up there in the years and we need someone to gain seniority for when he retires. Everyone else in that seat only ever seems to serve a single term.

    Duckworth is the dark horse candidate imo. There were some reports her and Biden got along well and also everything I've read about her says she's pretty awesome.

    I like Duckworth for VP a lot. Her strengths are in many areas that help Biden. She’s smart, a minority, isn’t afraid to tell people like Tucker Carlson to fuck off, has experience in case Biden passes, and is a vet.

    I would love to see Trump and his campaign try and sell people on the old notion that only Republicans respect the military..while Biden has a veteran on the ticket with him.

    GOP already slandered the fuck out of John Kerry for GWB and the media rolled along with it. Duckworth has already been the target of this from Tucker Carlson, and if she was the VEEP she'd have the usual "just asking questions" set saying how she's not a real combat veteran and how she doesn't honor the troops because *insert reasons*.

    In america Democrats will always be behind this particular "hates the military" 8 ball

    I think the general public would have a different reaction this time if they try to swiftboat Duckworth.

    She’s a woman and also lost her legs. Kerry has his medals, but his sacrifice was pretty different. I’m sure some people would buy whatever bullshit the GOP tried. But I think the general public, along with hopefully some portion of our military that Trump’s been shitting on for 4 years would take issue with it.

    I don't have faith in "they surely won't go after this vet." I like Duckworth, she's a fighter, but she'll be buried in shit from the right and horseshoed from the left for being a combat vet.

    I mean fuck sake in Arizona they are going after Mark Kelly for being beholden to China.

    It's not about hoping they won't go after her, it's about fighting back and telling them to fuck right the hell off when they do.

    MarathonjmcdonaldFencingsaxMan in the Mists
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    I have questions about the scope of this thread.

    Project Lincoln stuff/discussion (Never Trump Republican group dedicated to dismantling him and his allies who have been putting out a series of scathing ads expressly targeting him) I assume is on the table.
    The Biden sexual assault allegations are verboten as per that other thread.
    Mary Trump's book and interviews where she says "Uh, yeah. Donald was explicitly and unapologetically racist as absolute shit," maybe?
    Various primary results/laughing at Sessions for getting obliterated at home because of his betrayal of Trump, also maybe? Or is this specifically presidential stuff?

    Project Lincoln stuff is fine in the context of the election.

    Biden sexual assault stuff doesn't need to be brought up in here unless something new happens, and even then it might be better served as a new thread.

    Mary Trump's book is not relevant.

    Congressional races in general are fine.

    Maddie: "I named my feet. The left one is flip and the right one is flop. Oh, and also I named my flip-flops."

    I make tweet.
    jmcdonaldCommander ZoomMorganVForar
This discussion has been closed.