As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

I like it!

edited November 2020
    This toy is up on Target, and they have a 25% off one toy coupon going at https://www.target.com/offers/target-circle

You can save over $15 on X-Spanse, or save on whatever other toy floats your boat.
    https://www.target.com/p/transformers-generations----transformers-collaborative--marvel-comics-x-men-mash-up--ultimate-x-spanse/-/A-81262964

Undead Scottsman on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    This toy is up on Target, and they have a 25% off one toy coupon going at https://www.target.com/offers/target-circle

You can save over $15 on X-Spanse, or save on whatever other toy floats your boat.
    https://www.target.com/p/transformers-generations----transformers-collaborative--marvel-comics-x-men-mash-up--ultimate-x-spanse/-/A-81262964

Weird, I must have used the 25% off coupon since it doesn't show up on my list. Oh well.

That crossover is really original at least. Odd that they had to get Lockheed Martin's approval for it since it really isn't the Blackbird or even uses the name there.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I love how stupidly 90s it is

And I appreciate the shout out on the coupon Scottsman, I went ahead and preordered it

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Danny released a picture of his new workshop, and as he does, there are some prototypes sprinkled into the image. I see Power Girl for sure, and I think the one on her right is Batgirl, though no bat symbol is present.

highl1a815wb.jpg

That is 100% the Babs Tar version of Batgirl next to Power Girl. Keep posting pictures of these dolls, they're super rad and I like them, but they're too big for my small space.

akirasig.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Picked up Furai Drift.

xwonxndy4wr5.jpg
    ikoreox8wxn7.jpg

He's less well balanced than Megatron, on account of how much shoulder kibble he's got. I'm also surprised there's not more red! It always seemed to me that it was a bigger part of his palette.

I guess it could come from the stickers, which I haven't put on yet.

Delzhand on
    edited November 2020
    Those kits always impress me with how cool they look. Then I remind myself that I don't need to get back in the model kit hobby, or better yet try to convince myself that I don't need to get back in the model kit hobby.

On another note, I wanted to share photos and feelings of my newest third party (3P) Transformer toy that I got a few weeks ago. Ok, maybe it was a month ago, but I know it was a bit since I got him. The toy I'm going to share is NewAge's Dr. No (I am guessing from James Bond) which is their version of Soundblaster with Rumble (or red Frenzy), Buzzsaw and Ratbat. I was reading and looking at these guys for a while now since I was intrigued with the whole "Legends" size toys lately. They are called Legends because Hasbro brought out a line of Transformers that were pretty small and they were labeled as the Legends size. Anyways, I told myself I have enough Soundwaves as it is (I didn't put my reissue G1 Soundwave in this photo or my two Masterpiece Soundwaves).

soundwaves.jpg

See, I have enough right? So I was good and didn't look at this NewAge version at all. They looked really cool, the videos I watched of the transforming reminded me of a Masterpiece (for those who don't know, the Masterpiece line are huge Transformers that Hasbro/Takara make and are pretty complex and high end) Transformer but in a smaller size. I kept on watching and reading more and more reviews and posts about them till I saw one photo that broke me. After that I had to add this group to my Soundwave collection. So without more ravings about this toy I'll share some photos.
    Dr_No_01.jpg

Dr_No_02.jpg

Dr_No_03.jpg

Dr_No_04.jpg

Dr_No_05.jpg

As you can see, all of them look pretty good and I realize that I need to take some more photos of them in crazy poses. Soundblaster has a lot of different poses and joints so I can play with him a whole lot. I love the plastic of the toy and would rank this right up to something I would see on a shelf with the Hasbro label slapped on it. The only thing I don't like is that they have extra hands for Soundblaster but I'm scared to take them off of something this small so I'm just going to just keep the gun post hands on him.

But this last photo is why I had to buy this guy.
    Dr_No_06.jpg

Something this small just was way too cool!!! I would not have bought this toy just seeing the photos like the ones I posted (and saw in all the shots of him before and after the toy was launched). He was just another Soundwave/Soundblaster toy out there. Yeah the transformation was pretty interesting and like I said near Masterpiece level of complexity, but it blew me away that all of this was at this size! The "tapes" look pretty boring at first till you realize that they are nearly the size of a penny! So yep, that's what sold me, the super duper tiny Transformer!

Edit: If anybody is curious and wants more photos I'll be happy to take them.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Looks like Target will be getting an exclusive Starscream funko. https://i.redd.it/6hlgev5edn061.jpg

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    So a non-transforming transformer?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

pretty sure there's more resin statues of Optimus Prime than there are Jesus Christ

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Optimus Prime is probably more like a John the Baptist or something.

Hot Rod is Jesus Christ. After all, he's the one who lights our darkest hour.

As a heads-up for the U.S.-based folks, some action figure-related Black Friday sales are gonna be happening here and there (non-U.S.-based folks might be able to take advantage of some of these too, but I'm not sure what the overseas shipping situation is).

TFSource is having a rotation of items on sale each day this week. It's only like 5-6 items each day, the discounts aren't mindblowing, and so far the selection has been extremely "boy we gotta clear out this ancient inventory that no one has bought in the last five years". They do have a Soul of Chogokin Vehicle Voltron for $300 today - I dunno anything about SoC stuff, so I dunno if this is a deal or not. They often inflate prices, so a "discount" might actually just be bringing the price back down to normal. They do have the MMC Ocular Max ReMix versions of Rumble and Frenzy at a tiny discount, which I've been eyeing for a while, and this was enough justification. If you're gonna buy from them, I do recommend using PayPal and not storing your credit card info on the site, since they've had several data breaches in the last few years and credit card info got stolen.

It sounds like TheChosenPrime will be doing store-wide discounts:

The tweet was made on Tuesday and says "starting tomorrow at midnight", which is a little ambiguous, but the site does say "Thursday the 26th". A store-wide discount is pretty dangerous, and it sounds like they're gonna have a dastardly "discounts increase as you spend more" deal, which is how you part fools (me) from their money. Maybe I'll get that MP-44...

Haven't seen anything from BBTS or Toy Dojo yet.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular

The Furai kits don't transform, no. But honestly for me, I'll take comic accuracy over transforming anyway for certain characters, because I almost never display transformers in their alt modes anyway. I'd wager a solid 50% of the MTMTE cast never even transforms on-page. I know Megatron doesn't. Drift does in the Delphi Plague storyline, briefly.

Delzhand wrote: »

The Furai kits don't transform, no. But honestly for me, I'll take comic accuracy over transforming anyway for certain characters, because I almost never display transformers in their alt modes anyway. I'd wager a solid 50% of the MTMTE cast never even transforms on-page. I know Megatron doesn't. Drift does in the Delphi Plague storyline, briefly.

Dang, now I have to go back and look... But I think you are absolutely right that most of the comics (and even cartoons) the majority of the Transformers stay in robot mode. That is sort of funny now that I think about it.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Alright, The Chosen Prime just sent an email describing the sales event, and I guess it's up on their site as well:
    Black Friday Weekend will feature a Level Up Savings Event!

Thursday November 26 - Monday November 30 Only

Below is the outline for how the event will work and how you can unlock BONUS REWARDS! ALL DISCOUNTS WILL BE TAKEN AT CHECKOUT.

Spend $0 - $100 = Receive $5 off your order
    Spend $101 - $250 = Receive $10 off your order
    Spend $251 - $500 = Receive $25 off your order + 150 Bonus Reward Points
    Spend $501 - $1,000 = Receive $50 off your order + 300 Bonus Reward Points
    Spend $1,001 or More = Receive $100 off your order + 500 Bonus Reward Points

All discounts will be taken at checkout.
    All Sales are final
    Discounts are not stackable
    Existing Reward Points can be used on purchases prior to checkout only
    Earned Reward Points during event will be eligible for use on future purchases only
    All Pre-Orders are excluded from savings event and will not be counted towards eligibility levels
    I don't know when exactly it'll start, because they don't specify a timezone; they're based in Arizona, so I imagine midnight their time, maybe?

For reference, their points can be redeemed at a rate of 30 points = $1, so "300 Bonus Reward Points" means "$10 off a future purchase", basically.

I dunno, these are not the wiiiild savings I was picturing in my head. On the other hand, if I do want an MP-44 (and I do want an MP-44), then another $25 off the top is basically the only discount available anywhere.

OK, well, here's Toy Dojo's thing:
    https://www.toydojo.com/black-friday-sale/
    Sounds like they're just going to tag a bunch of items as Black Friday Specials, and those will get a discount (which items? How much of a discount? Unknown). No items in this category yet, and no idea when they'll start going up.

Delduwath wrote: »
    Alright, The Chosen Prime just sent an email describing the sales event, and I guess it's up on their site as well:
    Black Friday Weekend will feature a Level Up Savings Event!

Thursday November 26 - Monday November 30 Only

Below is the outline for how the event will work and how you can unlock BONUS REWARDS! ALL DISCOUNTS WILL BE TAKEN AT CHECKOUT.

Spend $0 - $100 = Receive $5 off your order
    Spend $101 - $250 = Receive $10 off your order
    Spend $251 - $500 = Receive $25 off your order + 150 Bonus Reward Points
    Spend $501 - $1,000 = Receive $50 off your order + 300 Bonus Reward Points
    Spend $1,001 or More = Receive $100 off your order + 500 Bonus Reward Points

All discounts will be taken at checkout.
    All Sales are final
    Discounts are not stackable
    Existing Reward Points can be used on purchases prior to checkout only
    Earned Reward Points during event will be eligible for use on future purchases only
    All Pre-Orders are excluded from savings event and will not be counted towards eligibility levels
    I don't know when exactly it'll start, because they don't specify a timezone; they're based in Arizona, so I imagine midnight their time, maybe?

For reference, their points can be redeemed at a rate of 30 points = $1, so "300 Bonus Reward Points" means "$10 off a future purchase", basically.

I dunno, these are not the wiiiild savings I was picturing in my head. On the other hand, if I do want an MP-44 (and I do want an MP-44), then another $25 off the top is basically the only discount available anywhere.

I just saw this deal and not sure if I want to jump on it or not. I tossed some stuff into the cart to see if it live yet, but yeah it isn't (no surprise since it isn't Thursday yet). The deal I would get off would only be $10 at this point for 2 3P toys. Not sure if that is worth it or not since I just got MP-49 for $158 and that was a much better deal from Amazon Japan.

I have no idea why I don't get the e-mails from Toy Dojo and I missed out on their anniversary day deals.

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited November 2020
    I didn't get any Toy Dojo emails, not even sure if they do those. I just went to their site and checked.

Which 3P toys were you thinking of getting?

EDIT: And, incidentally, I don't think you'll be able to get 3P toys from Amazon Japan, so that might factor into considerations.

Delduwath on
    Heh, looks like The Chosen Prime's deal is live, I can see the discount in the shopping cart, only it's taking $20 off instead of $25. I mean, $5 isn't gonna make-or-break me, it's just silly that they messed up either the discount in the system or the discount in the sale's description.

Huh, wonder what'll happen if I go past the $500 mark. Ah, OK, that does apply the $50 as advertised.

Kinda want to wait and see if Toy Dojo's sales are worthwhile, but also wondering if TCP's inventory might sell out.

I didn't get any Toy Dojo emails, not even sure if they do those. I just went to their site and checked.

Which 3P toys were you thinking of getting?

EDIT: And, incidentally, I don't think you'll be able to get 3P toys from Amazon Japan, so that might factor into considerations.

Oh I meant I just spent $158 for MP-49 at Amazon Japan. Not that I was going to buy the same stuff I was eyeing at TCP.

I had put Paean (not Hoist) and their Con Exclusive Windblade in to see if it worked. Not sure if I want both.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Hoo boy am I glad I waited. Toy Dojo put up some Black Friday items (no idea if that's it or if there'll be more later), and one of them is MP-44 for $390. Which, I'm sure you can tell, is better than TCP's $450-$20=$430.

They also have MP Beast Wars Megatron at a $70 discount, and I'm mildly miffed since I got him last month for full price. Oh well. He's a great figure, I recommend him to anyone on the fence.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Aw man I missed out this week, though I couldn't have afforded it anyway - Smart Doll officially discontinued the "Plus" dolls which are 1:2 scale instead of 1:3 scale. As part of that, Danny was selling full sets of leftover parts to those dolls, only missing the internal frame to put them together: https://shop.smartdoll.jp/products/smart-doll-plus-parts-deluxe-pack

On the one hand I am kicking myself that I didn't notice it when it went out. On the other hand, no way in heck could I have afforded that, so I don't know why I cared that I "missed my chance" when I never could have had them anyway. One thing about it that Danny announced after they were sold out, though, is this: " I'm going to issue full refunds to the folks who bought the remaining sets who manage to come up with better frame ideas - has to be physically made rather than just ideas on paper." Of course I'm not an engineer so I have no idea if I could have come up with anything to refund me my $3700, but there's just enough almosts there to make me kick myself.

I dunno, maybe some day when I have a nice job I'll find one on a secondary market. Sigh.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Next wave of Transformers Kingdom figures are up for preorder

but the main reason for this post is they also put up some more Tentakil!

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/transformers/products/transformers-takara-tomy-generations-selects-tt-gs08-tentakil-figure

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    I am really trying to limit my purchases, but had to get Inferno and Huffer. The fossil guy is really cool looking and maybe I'll pick it up later for the skeleton mode.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I am really trying to limit my purchases, but had to get Inferno and Huffer. The fossil guy is really cool looking and maybe I'll pick it up later for the skeleton mode.

Yeah, my purchases and preorders have gotten a bit out of control recently (being stuck at home plus sad life stuff is a bad combo), plus stuff kept getting pushed back and started lumping around the same release time which hurts the wallet

Canceled my preorder for Riobot Tekkaman Blade. Makes me sad because I love the anime (one of the first I ever watched, was brought over to US as Teknoman in the 90s, didn’t even know what anime was then), but $150 for it is rough, plus I have the (inferior) Figma, which at least has Evil to pair with. If they end up doing Riobot Evil, I’ll probably buckle

And I still have Mezco Mr Freeze ($120) and Bandai Dynacation Eva Unit 01 ($190) on preorder which are both now set for this month... blaaah. Those are a bit more bang for your buck though, plus it looks like they’re sold out (at BBTS at least) so I’d rather not try to track them down later

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    edited December 2020
    Hope your sad life stuff gets better. I'm still bouncing around but getting better myself. I know that plus fear of missing out really got me to buy too much. Luckily I went through and cancelled a bunch of pre-orders on stuff I really didn't need. Oddly most were Transformers Exclusives from Amazon.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited December 2020
    Haven't done a funko update so here, my TMNT set is slowly coming in. Managed to snag a Target Metalhead which was harder than it should have been. Also, I finally completed the pokemon set... For now

17emlapd75jf.jpg
    xxg5fef45quv.jpg

Local H Jay on
    Whoa. That is a lot of Funkos. Is this how collectors keep them in box and display them? Here I thought it was crazy long ago where I had my 3.75" figures on the wall in boxes or on their cards. This is like Lego but with boxes of figures.

Not saying it is bad, just way impressive.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Yeah it also helps so I don't have to dust them, my dog produces a lot of hair so out of box display would be neat but probably tedious.

Yeah it also helps so I don't have to dust them, my dog produces a lot of hair so out of box display would be neat but probably tedious.

Hahahaha, yeah dust is one thing I just realized I have to start doing a better job at removing/cleaning. I went and bought a facial makeup brush to clean out the dust on all of my displayed toys.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Next wave of Transformers Kingdom figures are up for preorder

but the main reason for this post is they also put up some more Tentakil!

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/transformers/products/transformers-takara-tomy-generations-selects-tt-gs08-tentakil-figure
    I keep going back and forth on the Kingdom line.

On the one hand, Beast Wars was "my" Transformers - I was born in '84, and immigrated to America in '93, so I was kinda in the right place at the right age to get in on the ground floor of Beast Wars - so I'm really glad to see the line and the characters be revived for this line. Some dumb brand-allegiance thing whispers into my ear that I should buy them all. On the other hand, I don't actually like the look or design of most of the characters. The hollow thighs/forearms are so disappointing to me, especially since it feels like this is more prevalent in their toys now than even 10 years ago (although this could absolutely be rose-colored glasses on my part). BW Megatron has an entire dinosaur's worth of body parts on his back. Optimus Primal looks good, and is actually the one I'm most likely to get, but when you put his gorilla mode on all fours, he has a butt-plate that just juts out horizontally for like an inch past his body. I've absolutely been spoiled by Masterpiece-style toys (both 3p and official), and probably have very unreasonable expectations of main-line toys at this point, but some of the kibble is a bit of a bummer.

Those Fossilizers though, man. Such weird and unique concepts. The paint job on them looks surprisingly premium, as well. I feel like I kinda wanna get them just because they're so different from anything else I've seen so far. Of course, feels like you miss something if you get the Fossilizers but not the figures who can use the Fossilizers-as-equipment, so... might have to get at least one figure from the rest of the line. Though, actually, I wonder how free-form the Fossilizers are. Do they have extra ports on them? Can you disassemble several of them and Frankenstein them into some weirdo monstrosity?

The new Airazor looks quite, quite good, and I think her original BW toy was pretty clunky. The new Dinobot looks great, if not for the very obvious robo-feet hanging out of his dino butt. I'll probably wait for some video reviews, but I'm quite tempted.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Beast Wars was never my thing so I can easily pass on most of this line.

I want Warpath and that’s about it. The Fossilizers have incredible (at least in pictures) alt modes but feels like the only reason I have to get them.

I'm guessing that the Fossilizers are like the Weaponizers from this current batch where they don't really transform as much as parts form. It was a shock when I got Greasepit that to transform him I had to pull him apart. So I guess you could make this huge conglomeration of bones with just them?

But yeah I'm probably going to hope and see one in person before deciding to buy them just for their fossil modes.
    The new Dinobot looks great, if not for the very obvious robo-feet hanging out of his dino butt. I'll probably wait for some video reviews, but I'm quite tempted.

Great, I can not unsee this now.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I went and bought a facial makeup brush to clean out the dust on all of my displayed toys.
    I did the same thing earlier this year, and it works incredibly well! Highly recommended. I'm considering getting a small one, too, for getting into nooks and crannies.

But, the real solution for me is to put things behind glass/into display cases. I've got various bots standing all around my computer desk that I haven't gotten to put away yet, but I'm running out of shelf display space anyway. I'm curious: have any of you folks tried using separate display cases? I don't mean stand-alone shelf-like things (Detolfs, etc.), more like a transparent box that you can e.g put on top of a bookcase, but still have the figure be mostly enclosed. I've seen that kind of stuff for collectables (baseball paraphernalia, most notably), but haven't really looked into it. Is there something that would work for a Masterpiece figure?

FAKE EDIT: I was about to hit "Submit" on this post when I saw I had new mail. It was a promotional newsletter from BBTS, and one of the items in there was this display case. Someone's spying on me, and I don't like it. (Thought if that's for 1:6 scale figures, seems it'd be too big for an MP.)

I went and bought a facial makeup brush to clean out the dust on all of my displayed toys.
    I did the same thing earlier this year, and it works incredibly well! Highly recommended. I'm considering getting a small one, too, for getting into nooks and crannies.

But, the real solution for me is to put things behind glass/into display cases. I've got various bots standing all around my computer desk that I haven't gotten to put away yet, but I'm running out of shelf display space anyway. I'm curious: have any of you folks tried using separate display cases? I don't mean stand-alone shelf-like things (Detolfs, etc.), more like a transparent box that you can e.g put on top of a bookcase, but still have the figure be mostly enclosed. I've seen that kind of stuff for collectables (baseball paraphernalia, most notably), but haven't really looked into it. Is there something that would work for a Masterpiece figure?

FAKE EDIT: I was about to hit "Submit" on this post when I saw I had new mail. It was a promotional newsletter from BBTS, and one of the items in there was this display case. Someone's spying on me, and I don't like it. (Thought if that's for 1:6 scale figures, seems it'd be too big for an MP.)

I have used some plastic boxes to display toys long ago. Something like these:
    https://www.tapplastics.com/product/plastics/plastic_displays

Mainly the football sized ones used to work great and I actually still use one to display some rocks that I don't want to dust. They might have some smaller boxes that will work for MP sized bots.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Anyone have knowledge with big bad toy store? Like, is it a legit company? I saw this on there today: https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/144480 and the price seems too good to be true.

oh h*ck
    BBTS is little pricier than other outlets, but they are very legitimate. They and Entertainment Earth are my two go-to specialty sites for toys.

Yeah they are legit. I bought from them for a long time now and the only thing people obsessed collectors complain about these days are delivery taking longer for the $4 flat fee. Oh and some of their pre-orders coming in later than they originally estimated, but both of these complaints are after March when COVID-19 messed with the whole world.

But yeah, I would buy from them without worry. That deal is awesome as you already saw.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    BBTS is pricey but legit. I have a pile of loot running there right now. Good place for harder to get collectors items, but if it’s getting wide release I’d think twice.

I saw that Warbotron and if it wasn’t for the holiday season I’d have one on its way to me now.