As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Anybody here was on the fence for the Dracula Transformer? Target has it on sale today for $25.19.
    https://www.target.com/p/transformers-collaborative-universal-monsters-dracula-mash-up-draculus/-/A-84260299

I'm not into Dracula, but seriously tempted since I like the Headmaster toy.

Yes! I've been waiting for this to come back into stock having missed it the first time. Getting to save a chunk of money on top of that is nice.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Anybody here was on the fence for the Dracula Transformer? Target has it on sale today for $25.19.
    https://www.target.com/p/transformers-collaborative-universal-monsters-dracula-mash-up-draculus/-/A-84260299

Yes! I've been waiting for this to come back into stock having missed it the first time. Getting to save a chunk of money on top of that is nice.

Oh good, I can live vicariously through you! Post photos!!! Hahaha.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Oh good, I can live vicariously through you! Post photos!!! Hahaha.

Very much this, you need to post a lot of photos when you get it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular

So, uh, I may have caused a problem with this >.>
    A while ago I had given this as a suggestion to my other half, but at the time (and each time I’ve looked) it was sold out on Hasbro Pulse.

I saw this post and was trying to let her know, when she misinterpreted what I was saying as I wanted to go ahead and buy it….when she had already managed to find one for me.

TLDR: I ended up accidentally spoiling one of my gifts

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Whoops.
    Aw man, I feel sorry for your other half. Although this is why my wife no longer buys me toys since I buy everything I want. Or if she does, she looks at my collection to see if I already have it. If I buy it or hint at buying it she just asks me if I really need it. That usually works since I don't buy the toy

On the other hand, more photos for the thread!!!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    And of course my Draculus just shipped from Pulse this morning

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I finally got another batch of Masters of the Universe figures today. I'll spoiler for quantity.
    Eternian Goddess. Basically back in the day they had her and Teela as different characters in the comics. They then decided to merge them into one (non green) toy as Teela. I'm going to display the Goddess on the Castle with the headdress and scepter and Teela in battle with just a sword and shield.
    kxnwz22owm5z.jpg
    sd1rj00wue1g.jpg

Stinkor. He doesn't smell as strong as the one I had as a kid (Patchouli) but he's still pretty great as a skunk colored Merman.
    fxpbijrejozp.jpg
    qswsrhmb39qv.jpg

Webstor. I had him as a kid and he was one of my favorites. He still has the play feature with the working grappling hook too.
    34xs2ea0aspz.jpg
    dax0pcjwr4ox.jpg

Mosquitor. I never had him (I think he came out towards the end of the original line) but he's awesome in this deluxe form. He has an extra head, hand, life sucking clip on piece, and blood pumping action in his chest with a button on the back.
    w629jnzklmr8.jpg
    n2b2zfbo5ns9.jpg
    khlz2ru7senf.jpg
    gjtfb0r4sue6.jpg

And the best image ever, the card back illustration trying to get you excited for Stinkor's smell.
    8z8n6ulcfjqu.jpg

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    Hahaha those are awesome!!! I never knew that about Teela/Eternian Goddess. Now I know who they are. I always wanted more MotU figures growing up but all I had was Skeletor.
    And of course my Draculus just shipped from Pulse this morning

At least you have one. That is better than missing out and paying scalpers for it after.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    So, wanted to share something from my childhood where I literally just found out what it was called, and discovered that it's a deadend to nostalgia collect.

Meet Combination Warrior Blockman, or, as it was called when it was imported by Revell: Robotech Robolinks (US) and Robotech Changers (France). Basically, imagine if Lego bricks were themselves miniature semi-posable robots.

vk5d1w7f9eo6.png

No, there is literally no link to Robotech other than the fact that Revell had the license for Robotech at the time, and were trying to catch up to the Transformers craze of the 80s.

I never knew that there was an attempt to bring these to the US, the ones I had were from the Japanese line, and finding out info on them was an absolute pain because "robots that combine" brings up a ton of Zords and Transformers while "robots as building blocks" brought up a ton of Kreo and Lego lines.

Apparently they didn't last long anywhere, the last "official" kits were produced in 1985, and the line quietly died as everybody ignored them. I did some digging after finding out the name, and the sets are expensive now (think $400 for the lower priced ones). On one hand I can understand why there hasn't really been any attempt to revive the line (Revell was crashing and burning until just last year when it relaunched purely with models, and Takara is doing just fine with their other lines), but on the other something like this would probably get a bit of traction these days.

Nobody on
  • Options

Ok, to make things worse for all of the people who just bought this guy. Target seems to have a 25% off coupon offer (not sure if it is targeted [no pun intended]) making him cost $18.89 after coupon. Some people are just "returning" the higher priced one and buying at the cheaper price. Maybe you can contact Target if you just bought it to get the difference?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

Ok, to make things worse for all of the people who just bought this guy. Target seems to have a 25% off coupon offer (not sure if it is targeted [no pun intended]) making him cost $18.89 after coupon. Some people are just "returning" the higher priced one and buying at the cheaper price. Maybe you can contact Target if you just bought it to get the difference?

Ok yeah, I balked at 30+ with shipping but that takes it down to 25 even with shipping so I finally jumped on it

• Options
    Ok a couple things! First, got the blacklight Galactus
    zvbeao6p2mrz.jpg
    (Also moved that tv into my room for stream backgrounds, just gonna toss anime VHS on and let it play)

Also got this incredible blacklight poster collection
    6kj867b0kh7k.jpeg
    luwgoc1y25rd.jpeg

Can't wait to put these up

• Options
    Sorry for triple post but I put the posters up! Please ignore how crappy I put up my string lights lmao

dshu25n3gahq.jpg
    cxch97dy1qr7.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/JGmUQqM

That one drawing of Eternity is one of my personal favorites

• Options
    Those look really cool! Loving that old comic art look.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I have another doll to obsess over. I didn't really think I could care about boy dolls, but I guess that was just because I wasn't looking at the right kind of boy dolls. I don't quite understand myself, because on the one hand I am not at all worried about anyone thinking my girl dolls are too hot, but I am worried about being suspected for having a boy doll that is too hot. But whatever, I want a hot boy doll, fuck you if you judge me, this is him.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    As someone who has ahem, anime figures, I always try to have a 3:1 ratio boys to girls because I don't wanna be seen as that guy who only buys his waifus (tho I'm totally that guy)

But honestly as I get older I'm starting to care less. My room is a shrine to nerdy garbage, if someone can't appreciate it that's on them haha

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    So you buy the boy figures to distract attention from what you're really buying?

I hereby dub them "decoy boys".

• Options
    edited December 2021
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I have another doll to obsess over. I didn't really think I could care about boy dolls, but I guess that was just because I wasn't looking at the right kind of boy dolls. I don't quite understand myself, because on the one hand I am not at all worried about anyone thinking my girl dolls are too hot, but I am worried about being suspected for having a boy doll that is too hot. But whatever, I want a hot boy doll, fuck you if you judge me, this is him.

It always starts with just one. :D

Edit: I used to worry about people thinking I'm a pervert if I bought female figures/toys. So I used to admire people who could buy what they liked and display it.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    My MP-49 Black Convoy arrived a few days ago. I'll try to get some photos later, but initial impression is: it's cool as hell. I'm not typically drawn to Optimus But Black, but in this case I was kind of interested to see what was up. I think the original MP-44 Optimus Prime - despite the high cost, despite the awful knees (which broke on mine after very minimal posing) - is a really good figure, and has a fascinating transformation. Optimus Prime is painted almost head to toe, which looks great but carries the threat of paint chipping (which is exacerbated by the complex transformation). Black Convoy has the advantage (?) of not being painted; the black plastic looks decent, but it has a cheap-feeling shine to it when the light strikes at the right angle, and if you look closely you can see some swirling in the black plastic from the molding process. The advantage lies in the fact that you can handle it much more roughly than Optimus Prime without worry of paint-chipping. I know lots of folks (I think Betsuni among them?) prefer to keep Optimus Prime as a display figure and Black Convoy as the pose-and-transform figure. I really dig the proportions, the sculpt, the color choices, the incredibly expressive articulation. It's still a very expensive toy, but I do think you get you're money's worth.

Speaking of Black Convoy/Nemesis, one of my favorite 3rd party companies - NewAge - is in the process of putting out their Legend-scale takes on Optimus Prime and Ultra Magnus. They've decided to go with the Ultra-Magnus-is-a-white-Optimus-Prime-wearing-some-armor interpretation of the character, but what's interesting is that the inner Ultra Magnus bot isn't just a recolor of their Optimus. They've said that something like 30% of the figure is completely different. Take a look:
    uDokNCKl.png
    The hip skirts are different, the legs are entirely different (with a different transformation), the opening in the chest to accommodate the Matrix is different, and I think the back has some different stuff going on. We don't know yet when Optimus Prime will be released, but Ultra Magnus has been out for a bit (my copy is supposed to arrive soon). It's not perfect; lots of folks are annoyed by the extra-deep chest, the fact that the chest isn't the real car-mode windshield but rather a fake part that emulates the look (and that sits right in front of the car-mode windshield, creating the extra-deep chest and a very visible gap in the chest when viewed from above), the fact that the inner-robot arms fold up and end up forming the top of the armored-mode's torso - with the inner bot's hands completely in plain view, etc. All of this is less than ideal, but I suspect that once the figure is in my hands, it'll all be completely fine. Anyway, you can check out Ultra Magnus's transformation here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePylna72Xgk

NewAge is known for making many repaints of their figures, usually 6 versions for each mold (typically toon-accurate version, toy-accurate version, transparent plastic version, and three more repaints/remolds bespoke to the figure). The situation is a little bit fuzzy for Ultra Magnus/Optimus. They have just released a Delta Magnus recolor of Ultra Magnus proper, but they have also revealed a Shattered Glass Optimus Prime:
    9SvraE0l.jpg
    and - to finally get back on the subject - a Nemesis:
    xHFrhbEl.jpg
    What's interesting about these two is that they are typically made from Optimus Prime molds, but in this case NewAge has chosen to use their Optimus Prime torso with their Ultra Magnus legs plus slightly remolded thighs plus brand-new front crotch armor plus slightly altered heads that have a more "evil" expression. Here's a review of the Nemesis version (which came out last week) by a Chinese toy reviewer who seems to get these toys earlier than just about anyone else:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qda_FfKdXws

The Shattered Glass Optimus is apparently shipping out as we speak.

I used to have a strict "no repaints" policy, and have since adopted an "ok SOME repaints, try to rein it in though" policy, but when I saw these two Optimuses I pre-ordered them imm-mmediately.

• Options
    I love that cape!!

• Options
    I'm not 100% certain, but it looks like the cape they used for their Starscream coronation set, only black.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    As someone who has ahem, anime figures, I always try to have a 3:1 ratio boys to girls because I don't wanna be seen as that guy who only buys his waifus (tho I'm totally that guy)

But honestly as I get older I'm starting to care less. My room is a shrine to nerdy garbage, if someone can't appreciate it that's on them haha

Ok but if you're gonna pull the decoy trick, at they very least make sure your boyos are hot! Look at how ripped the bodies on these guys are, I'm just sayin'.

Actually that brings me to the conundrum I have about this doll. It doesn't look like I can actually get the one I linked, but I can get one mostly like it, with the same face paint. For example I can get this version of him, and buy the "corsair" outfit along with cutlass and matchlock (which if I knew less about miniatures I might complain cost almost as much as a full-sized cutlass and matchlock) and I can even do a "custom make up" request and have them do his face exactly like the one I linked before. But I can't get this doll in the light brown skin, and I also have a slight interest in the taller and somehow even more buff "Hercules" body size. So what I could do instead is purchase a Hercules Iplehouse Doll from their doll choice shop, get the light brown skin like I want, get the Leonard head with the Carved Heritage Leonard make up - I just wouldn't be able to get the corsair outfit or the cutlass and matchlock. Actually I technically could purchase the corsair outfit separately except it doesn't fit this size of doll, but the thing I would really want anyway is the weapons and they don't do those separately which is the worst because those could fit any size those are the most obvious thing to do separately you guys!! I guess they're also the most intricate so they're the thing they least want to mass produce.

These arguments with myself are moot anyway though, because I can't afford to drop that much on any doll right now, and the fully costumed doll above is a limited doll that it looks like won't be produced anymore after December 26. So I'll probably have to do Doll choice (which comes back monthly between the 1st and the 15th) when I have the money anyway. Which makes me feel better about it because I want brown skin and too many muscles on this pretty boy!

Also there were several times I was going to post about obsessing over this doll, but I kept trying to justify it because it was supposed to be about "this doll will be dressed in cosplay for a Korean manhwa and light novel I'm reading it's not because this boy is too handsome." Then I'd erase those posts, until I figured out no, I don't want burly lad for cosplay.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Got lucky this morning with the Funko event, snagged a Blacklight Jimi Hendrix lol

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dang, that Ultra Magnus is an impressive figure.

• Options
    Glad you like your MP-49 @Delduwath . I was afraid you wouldn't like it after you said your MP-44's knees broke. Yeah I tend to fiddle more with my Nemesis Prime Masterpiece more than my Optimus Prime, but it isn't so much about the paint than it was cheaper for me so I tend to not worry if I break it. Well ok, that and my Optimus Prime is now at the back of the display making it that much harder for me to pull him out since they are on the top of my display shelving. The knees having a different mechanism does make it easier to forget to put the kneecaps in the correct place or the thighs in the right spot when posing him though.

Yeah I have to agree that that Ultra Magnus looks neat. I like how small he is too! Going to need to stay strong and not pick him up (or those other two Primes you posted pics of). I love how they have some crazy and impressive engineering. PLUS I can live vicariously through you on them right? RIGHT? You better take photos of them once you get them in. :P

@Cambiata Wow, those are some crazy bodies. I can see why you tried to justify that you're not buying it just for the good looks. Hopefully you will be able to get one when you have the funds for them so you can fully enjoy your hobby.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I've never gotten into 3P Legends scaled stuff, mostly because I have no clue how big it will actually be. Of course, with "CHUG" Hasbro stuff getting smaller, maybe it's not such a concern.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    I've never gotten into 3P Legends scaled stuff, mostly because I have no clue how big it will actually be. Of course, with "CHUG" Hasbro stuff getting smaller, maybe it's not such a concern.

I have a few here that I bought thanks to @Delduwath 's enabling. Do you have any you would like to see photos next to?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Cambiata Wow, those are some crazy bodies. I can see why you tried to justify that you're not buying it just for the good looks. Hopefully you will be able to get one when you have the funds for them so you can fully enjoy your hobby.

Yes and I continue to feel the need to make additional disclaimers! The only thing I'll add is that I know these proportions are as unrealistic for men as the proportions on Smart Doll are unrealistic for women. I take it as a piece of sculpture and I neither expect nor even want any man to look like this.

• Options
    I have signed up for emails from Mattel Creations so I'll know about the Monster High special releases, and today I found out about some collab releases they just did:

https://creations.mattel.com/collections/mattel-creations

A few highlights:

8ff357fj5k5n.jpg
    isrwt9utivq2.jpg
    nrnh8oc586vv.jpg

The light-up Orko is a necklace. I don't have strong feelings about the Cybertruck, but any time I see a largish model vehicle I always want to know "WHAT SCALE IS IT?" to find out if any of my dolls can reasonably fit in it (and I do have one smaller size doll so there's always a possibility!) but for some reason they never say and it drives me up the friggin' wall! I also don't know if a patent drawing is really worth $75 but I guess with that drawing you could make your own. That's not why it costs that much, though, they are also selling a one for He Man figures and Barbie dolls, and those figures are pretty self-explanatory. I guess they're just high because it's a limited edition print and they want you to think of it as a collector's item for a true fan.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    @Local H Jay Your room is rad as hell.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    That Orko necklace is $150.

I could see getting the print if you were a huge fan of the toy as a kid. Frame it up nice and it'd make a nice wall decoration.
    But, 150 bucks for a plastic oops resin necklace?

I mean, if you had a buddy who was a huge Hotwheels collector, that poster would be an amazing gift.

• Options
    see317 wrote: »
    That Orko necklace is $150.

I could see getting the print if you were a huge fan of the toy as a kid. Frame it up nice and it'd make a nice wall decoration.
    But, 150 bucks for a plastic oops resin necklace?

I mean, if you had a buddy who was a huge Hotwheels collector, that poster would be an amazing gift.

Resin is just another kind of plastic. I guess it's because it's made by "Legendary jewelry designer Kristopher Kites"!! I have no idea who that is, but apparently he's worth about $145 per necklace.

• Options
    Glad you like your MP-49 Delduwath . I was afraid you wouldn't like it after you said your MP-44's knees broke.
    Yeah, one of the reasons I wanted this figure was to see what changes they made to the knees! It looks like they just took away the tab that kept the lower joint from engaging except in certain leg positions; I think the groove that the tab fits into when it enables the lower knee joint is still there, so I think they did the literal bare minimum. I was hoping that the MP-49 could give me some ideas on what to do with my MP-44 knees if I can't fix them, but I guess it's just like "clip these tabs off, forever".
    PLUS I can live vicariously through you on them right? RIGHT? You better take photos of them once you get them in. :P
    I'm ashamed to admit how many figures I bought in the last year where like 50% of my thought process was "Oh man, I can't wait to share some photos of this with the folks in the action figure thread!" - and then never got around to sharing photos. I always feel like I need to clear off space on my desk, get the lighting at least decent, take photos from multiple sides/in multiple positions, but then when I think about doing this at the end of a long workday I'm always like "gah, I don't have it in me to do all that now, I'll do it next time". I should get better at just taking some quick and imperfect photos, because otherwise I'll never get any photos done at all.
    Here are about 60% of my Legends figures, with an MP-scale Prime (it's Magic Square's Light of Freedom, yes that is a wildly goofy name) and the MP Ultra Magnus next to them. Does that give you some sense of the size/scale?
    ELGGzvol.jpg

• Options
    When I we close on the new house I will finally have room to display all my dolls just as I want and I can't WAIT to share photos with ya'll when I do!

• Options
    We're looking for a new place to move into, and I'm fantasizing about getting a shelf setup just for all these Transformers I've accumulated, so they're not all jammed in on top of each other. Dunno how likely that actually is to happen (one of the downsides of living in Brooklyn is that most apartments that are reasonably affordable don't offer space to sprawl out), but it's a nice fantasy.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    they so tiny!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    they so tiny!
    It's a blessing, for obvious reasons, but a curse in that it makes it very easy to go "sure, I'll grab three repaints! They take up so little space! Let's grab a figure of a character from both NewAge AND Magic Square! Oops, now I have no more space."

Honestly, though, I'd really encourage folks to check out 3P Legends as an alternative to Masterpiece-collecting. They may be small, but they absolutely do not sacrifice articulation, accuracy, or interesting and engaging transformation. They used to be super-cheap (by niche enthusiast 3P standards), too, but in truth prices have been creeping up steadily. Some high-end Legends can now cost as much as a low-end MP. A lot of folks fume about this, saying that it's ridiculous to pay so much for such a small figure, but given the parts count, engineering complexity, and fine details (the sculpting, the paint and finish, etc), I think they're very much worth it.

• Options
    Got lucky this morning with the Funko event, snagged a Blacklight Jimi Hendrix lol

And here come the scalpers
    mrwx91cp8iub.png

• Options
    Which of those is yours? :rotate:

• Options
    The funny thing is a lot of these "rare" exclusives are easy to find if you can make it to an actual Funko shop in person, I think there's 2 or 3? But the lines look insane not sure if it's worth it (I guess to scalpers it is though)