As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I was hoping to be really wowed by the Legacy TM2 Megatron, and while he definitely looks cool, I keep focusing on the details that bug me; the too-wide chest (in both modes), disproportionately thin arms and legs in dragon mode, and the robot shoulder joint that's not right at the base of the neck in dragon mode.

The original toy was certainly quite amazing. I wonder if the Legacy one will have the secondary dragster mode.

Looking at the pictures, I kind of doubt that it will have the dragster mode.
    It doesn't look like the "jet boosters" on the edge of the knees would open up, and it doesn't look like it has the roller-blades that classic TM2 Megatron had, or the knee wheels that were both used in the dragster mode.
    s0z0mfnfxdf6.png

Really, the dragster mode always felt like a really late afterthought to the design to me. It might have worked if the head was able to lock in a straight forward position. But the flexibility of the neck meant that dragster mode would have the head bouncing along the surface or dragging to the side (which apparently it was supposed to but the lever responsible for that function was installed incorrectly at the factory, learn something new every day...).

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yup! I flipped and fixed it, and the vehicle mode works fine.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I don’t suppose anyone was able to snag an extra Retro Animated Spider-Man from Walmart?

So frustrating

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I decided to go ahead and clothe the body I built while she waits for her head to arrive. Since it's currently hotter than blazes here in Texas, I gave her something sporty and cool:

ox4ks84buoa9.jpg

However this outfit made me realize that I don't have enough doll-sized sneakers. I own some converse-style canvass shoes that none of my dolls are wearing, but this outfit really calls for those giant rubber-soled trainers, I think. I already own a pair of those that are plain white, but another doll is wearing them at the moment. So, I went to the shop where I bought the first pair, and ordered two more styles:

pgp4gnjg6w6o.png
    cfdwpv5kj5pp.png

Purple is my favorite color, so the type style is what she'll most likely be wearing. The bottom style is just so I have another pair in reserve when I need it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Nice kicks

rdbjqgpnkzdg.png
    This is the ugliest toy and I want it so bad

It even comes with a color matched Porg

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh man! That feeling of just being.. a TAD too early, and yet not!

I had a feeling, so I stopped by Target over lunch today. While there, I found Motormaster! But more than that, I saw a TON of stuff going out. In all, I'd say about 5 full-up pushcarts of toys. I suspected this was coming due to sightings and the clearance stuff. What's more, I noticed things that I thought wouldn't be out for a bit, like the Lego Princess Peach castle.

I asked the lady (who has a couple local scalpers she favors) if she had seen any expensive transformers, beyond what I grabbed. She said no, but she was also "Flex shelving" as much as she could fit.

I inspected the carts and couldn't make out a definitive one I was looking for, sadly, and I knew it would take her an hour or two to get through everything. Plus I couldn't look up online to see if the store had stock. So... blah.

Given the price, I suspect I can check it later. But I have a feeling Masterpiece Blackout is near.

... and for now I got Motormaster! Which means I can cancel my Pulse order (and its high shipping cost).

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    https://hasbropulse.com/products/star-wars-the-vintage-collection-boba-fett-s-starship

It's Boba Fett's famous vehicle "Boba Fett's Starship". Guess "Slave-1" is no beuno these days.

Anywho, in my furthering adventures to collect the Infinity Stone props, Hasbro announced a tesseract toy. It looks cool - way cooler than the one I got with the Phase 1 blu-ray boxset, but it unfortunately comes with a shoehorned Loki figure, so that's a bummer.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/marvel-legends-series-tesseract-electronic-role-play-accessory

Aaaannnd... I get to return Motormaster. Whoo, glad I didn't cancel my preorder!

I was going through the first transform, and a piece sprung back in a way I wasn't expecting. I looked closer... and they completely and utterly screwed up installing a pin, which essentially breaks the whole toy.

DMGTLFul.jpg

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Aw that sucks

It’s somewhat annoying that the limbs are in separate waves. We haven’t even seen two of them yet, right?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Correct. The next two are coming in the next 2 waves. Honestly, I'm okay with this because I don't want an entire wave of figures that are just shelfwarmers if you aren't interested in Menasor.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I'm also going to keep my eyes out on yellowing of the grey plastic out of the box. Seems that some of the Australian fans got theirs earlier than the rest of the world and some of them saw yellowed grey plastic. Seems that the early reports in the US that there is no yellowing, but I'm going to be cautious.

Hopefully mine ships out from Target on the 31st like they said they were.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Whelp. fastest return ever.

I checked the toy section. No new stuff was put out, except for "Red Cog" (which I have no interest in). There was also at least 1 cart that still looked untouched from 4 hours ago.

Some way or another I'll get Blackout.

Hopefully he'll come sooner than you imagine and shelf warm long enough for you to get yours.

If anything you could order one from Japan.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    The head I ordered came in yesterday! The head I ordered has freckles and red eyebrows, I specifically ordered her to give Lucy Shepard (FemShep default) a new head. Behold, before and after:

874pfu5q2atw.jpg
    wu74pa5g0wf2.jpg

This head came with a long red wavy wig, which I'm keeping for possible future use. I'm a wig collector, I have way more wigs than I have dolls.

I took the old head and gave it to the new body, tried a few wigs and different color eyes on her, and in the end this is the look I decided on:

dwmoqd8nnu1q.jpg

I christen her Sofia. I decided to take the sneakers from the other doll wearing it and gave them to Sofia for now, since my new sneakers haven't been delivered yet. Also, I have a "prosthetic" leg that I've been wanting to give to one of my semi-real dolls, but it didn't fit under the space marine uniform. I decided to give it to Sofia. Here is her final look:

svo5zg1wxnk2.jpg

And finally, I bought another of the black uniforms to give to Solana. I decided it looks better if only Liara is in the white. So here's the fire team now:

21h8qwbsp5yg.jpg

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I gave the beefy arms to Sofia also, since I only have one set of those and I'd prefer for them to be visible.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Sofia is giving off some real Laura Croft vibes.

edited July 2022
    Lara Croft eh? Well I don't have all the right togs for that, but I'll do an approximation:

zc8w2gmx8pl8.jpg

I want to note for the record that I did try braiding one of my longer wigs into a French braid, but 1) I suck at French braids, 2) the wigs aren't really long enough for that and 3) I think she looks cuter in the short wig after I was done with my attempts.

I might keep her in this, might go back to the gym shorts and zip up bra, depends how I feel tomorrow.

Edit: Nah I definitely prefer the zip up bra, swapped that one back in:

oefb4kud78e5.jpg

Cambiata on
    Now I know why Sofia looked familiar!!!

She looks really good dressed up like that.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    I can't imagine doing a French braid on a head of hair that small! I feel like that would require some really impressive manual dexterity.

Delduwath on
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I can't imagine doing a French braid on a head of hair that small! I feel like that would require some really impressive manual dexterity.

The thing is, the braid as made by my hands was basically human-sized, which is part of what I didn't like about it. I definitely don't have the manual dexterity to make a smaller, more intricate braid.

tvvd9904jnb0.jpg
    Dammit! I'm a sucker for both Spidey and Ice Man

I've talked in the past about the Flame Toys officially licensed action figures. There have been some incredible Transformers designs, like the IDW Megatron that is a stealth bomber. But I've passed on them because of two factors: One, they are INCREDIBLY expensive, starting around $400. And Two, they don't transform. I have gotten some of their model kits, but haven't completed any of them.

Well... I think I need to save some money over the next year. Because... I don't know if I can resist.

A while back, they previewed their stylized version of the Power Rangers (Dino) Megazord. And at the Hong Kong Comic/Game convention going on right now, they have production models and info.

... And damn.

https://news.tokunation.com/2022/07/29/flame-toys-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-dino-megazord-official-images-released-dragonzord-teaser-included-73502

pZBeOtLh.jpg

They fully transform -- though the animal forms are a bit "lacking" in places, like combined mode parts showing, but that is okay.

The posebility is insane.

NtNYm4Ph.jpg

And I love the wings and tail being very prominent.

xH2Ujchh.jpg

... But to make matters worse? Yeaaahhh... You can't have a Megazord without a Dragonzord.

jq6aCeMh.jpg

83J6r4yh.jpg

The Dragonzord concept there shows the Dragon Megazord on the right (the one that combines with some of the Dino parts). But if you look closely, the full super powered Super Megazord is in the back there. And I'm like... DAMN! If they can make THAT thing poseable...

Sadly, I don't think I'll ever see my favorite Megazords get made in these styles. I want the Astro Megazord and its retinue, and the Shogun Megazord. But... that's a me problem.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    My Sludge is on its way as of this morning, so now it’s time to look forward to the next one, which is probably going to be Swoop.

Curious if we’re going to get a Snarl given that he’s almost entirely absent from the ‘86 film

Nobody wrote: »
    My Sludge is on its way as of this morning, so now it’s time to look forward to the next one, which is probably going to be Swoop.

Curious if we’re going to get a Snarl given that he’s almost entirely absent from the ‘86 film

Would be funny if they didn't release Snarl for one cycle to mess with the fandom.

Did you ever find a Slag/Slug?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »

Would be funny if they didn't release Snarl for one cycle to mess with the fandom.

Did you ever find a Slag/Slug?

I did thanks to @Forever Zefiro !

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    IIRC, a listing for SS86 Snarl has already been found.

edited July 2022
    Athenor wrote: »
    I've talked in the past about the Flame Toys officially licensed action figures. There have been some incredible Transformers designs, like the IDW Megatron that is a stealth bomber. But I've passed on them because of two factors: One, they are INCREDIBLY expensive, starting around $400. And Two, they don't transform. I have gotten some of their model kits, but haven't completed any of them.

Well... I think I need to save some money over the next year. Because... I don't know if I can resist.

A while back, they previewed their stylized version of the Power Rangers (Dino) Megazord. And at the Hong Kong Comic/Game convention going on right now, they have production models and info.

... And damn.

https://news.tokunation.com/2022/07/29/flame-toys-mighty-morphin-power-rangers-dino-megazord-official-images-released-dragonzord-teaser-included-73502

[snip]

They fully transform -- though the animal forms are a bit "lacking" in places, like combined mode parts showing, but that is okay.

The posebility is insane.

[snip]

And I love the wings and tail being very prominent.

[snip]

... But to make matters worse? Yeaaahhh... You can't have a Megazord without a Dragonzord.

[snip]

[snip]

The Dragonzord concept there shows the Dragon Megazord on the right (the one that combines with some of the Dino parts). But if you look closely, the full super powered Super Megazord is in the back there. And I'm like... DAMN! If they can make THAT thing poseable...

Sadly, I don't think I'll ever see my favorite Megazords get made in these styles. I want the Astro Megazord and its retinue, and the Shogun Megazord. But... that's a me problem.

The prominent tail on the Megazord is weirding me out, but that's a really neat looking set. I don't think it's worth that amount of money to me, but it's a dang cool set for sure.

Delduwath on
    See, I like it because I get this cool super robot / kaiju feel from it. Which is frankly awesome to me.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    See, I like it because I get this cool super robot / kaiju feel from it. Which is frankly awesome to me.

I could definitely see this one as a Jaeger in Pacific Rim.

@Athenor I don't really want to link you to this, because I want to support your de-cluttering, but you're gonna see it anyway, and I want to take the approach of "talk to your kids about drugs before they come across them in a less safe environment". So, here's a transformation video of the Legacy Cybertron Metroplex:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WbLFIaKOds
    That being said, I very much support your decision to not buy it, and encourage you to stick with it.

I definitely appreciate the video, it confirms the altmode and transformation do absolutely nothing for me, so easy pass

That Megazord up above though.....

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Yeaaaahhh... I watched EmGo's video and was extremely impressed with some of the new tooling and features. It still is a bot hunched over for an alt mode, and hearing the big weapon clips aren't the most secure is a bummer. Enough where I figure, I'll be able to find this guy in the future. I am in absolutely no rush.

That's what turns me off of all the big bots (Metroplex, Fort Max, Trypticon, Skorponok I guess): The alt mode is basically "It's a guy lying down, maybe doing a split". I understand that when you get to that size, you need to take certain stability and plastic/joint integrity elements into consideration; things that never really come up in smaller robots. I don't exactly fault anyone for designing those robots as they did, I just don't personally feel the draw.

It's also why I like Omega Supreme - a big bot with a really unique and intricate alt mode/transformation.

I think they have been generally getting better. The problem is that the source material in this case was.... Basic. They are very cybertronian designs, but of the giant planet transformers, only the concrete mixer truck was anything more than "lay down." Obviously there is little disguising going on.

I appreciate it. But I am sure everyone, myself included, would have preferred a kickass Tidal Wave. Though with Titans now costing as much as Star Saber... I don't know how big he could possibly be.

I love Trypticon because it was a major fixture of my youth, but I readily admit that its transformation is basically “lay down spread eagle”

So I got my Motormaster in today and have to say I'm impressed with the engineering they did to make him and the Menasor frame. His vehicle mode is the weakest out of the three for me. His cab is a bit panel heavy since it hides his legs for the most part. The trailer is actually three chunks (legs, arms, torso, and a gun pylon) so you can't store any of the other Stunticons in there. I do appreciate that it hides/holds the sword and gun (although the gun is weak as well).

Bot mode for Motormaster is decent and actually easy to transform given that his legs are partially panels. I do really love that they gave him fake truck front toes and they nailed the look of him in my mind. He has a lot of joints which makes him fun as a toy. Base mode is pretty neat as nod to the original toy. Although it is just the limbs tabbing into the torso.

Where I really like it is the Menasor mode. Motormaster transforms into most of the upper torso with the part from the trailer tabbing as the front of Menasor and the thighs. I honestly thought that they would have the frame and Motormaster folds up and is shoved into it like all the 3P versions out there, but nope he actually has Menasor's head in him! The limbs are just folding pieces of the trailer. Legs tab in like the old Combined Wars parts, but the arms actually slide onto the side rather than use the Combiner Wars slot. I really appreciate that since it makes the limbs much better and able to hold his arms out.

The instructions show how you attach Drag Strip as an arm. I didn't look to see if you could attach him like the toy and not have him in two parts like the cartoon look. The instructions show how to attach Wildrider as well.

I really love the combined mode. He is super stable compared to the Combiner Wars stuff. So yeah, I'm glad I missed out on the CW Stunticons team since this is a really good toy so far.

I'll try to find time to take some photos, but for now I wanted to write down my first impressions.

oosik_betsuni.png
    And now I am sad that I have to wait for a non broken one. I was quite impressed as well, and it will make parting with my CW ones easier.

And now I am sad that I have to wait for a non broken one. I was quite impressed as well, and it will make parting with my CW ones easier.

Hopefully you can find a good retirement home for your CW set. Also get a replacement for your broken Motormaster.

The one thing I forgot to mention was that I wished they could find a way to store the "gun pylon" thing from the base mode into Menasor instead of having this giant "thing" to put somewhere.

I also just opened up my Jurassic Park crossover set from the Prime Day sale. The T-Rex is awesome! I originally bought the set for the JP (Ford Explorer) toy and not the T-Rex, but I love the joints on her more than I imagined. Now I need to gather my courage to transform them both, but for now it is so worth it for them in their alt modes.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Hmm, one thing that just occurred to me after some searching. Sounds like the Planet X dinobots are roughly the same size as the SS86 series.

Which means PaddlesTriton is going to have some peers finally on my shelf (I haven't opened my SS86 Grimlock or Slug yet, probably waiting until I get the full set).

Side note: While digging around earlier to see what the discussions were like for SS86 Snarl, I saw mention that they changed Slug's name due it being inappropriate in some languages. I thought it was due to copyright issues.