Options

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    That's what turns me off of all the big bots (Metroplex, Fort Max, Trypticon, Skorponok I guess): The alt mode is basically "It's a guy lying down, maybe doing a split". I understand that when you get to that size, you need to take certain stability and plastic/joint integrity elements into consideration; things that never really come up in smaller robots. I don't exactly fault anyone for designing those robots as they did, I just don't personally feel the draw.

It's also why I like Omega Supreme - a big bot with a really unique and intricate alt mode/transformation.

TR Metroplex is definitely weaker now, but it was just rad being the first titan, and I appreciate the playability it has with micromasters in city and carrier mode. If this new Metroplex had some kind of city mode, I would probably be into it

Trypticon never did anything for me. Transformers that don’t have a humanoid bot mode just don’t interest me much... though I’m starting to regret not getting Earthrise Skylynx... if anyone has one they wanna sell...

Fort Max seemed neat but also kinda same and worse than Metroplex? So I passed

Scorponok is super cool, probably my favorite. Ton of playability, three fun modes

Omega Supreme is probably the coolest and most unique though

The Ark just seemed lacking, like it needed just something extra to make it interesting

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Paging @Athenor again. You might have already seen this, but I somehow missed it, so figured I'd share this MPM Blackout showcase/transformation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLIU1FyIemc

It looks quite good. The transformation is super complex, not sure yet if I would find it fun-complex or tedious-complex, but the whole package looks super good regardless.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sooo... I'm holding off watching videos for toys I know I'm gonna get, because the first time transforming is part of the ritual, seeing how things go together and shift and all that.

If it's an edge case, sure. But in that case? I want to be surprised.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Sooo... I'm holding off watching videos for toys I know I'm gonna get, because the first time transforming is part of the ritual, seeing how things go together and shift and all that.

I always try to transform any of my toys without the instructions at first. Then have the hard time reversing what I did to follow the instructions or videos.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

I always try to transform any of my toys without the instructions at first. Then have the hard time reversing what I did to follow the instructions or videos.

See, I am WAY too terrified of breaking something to do that. Hell, more than once I've had to look at instructions to go, "am I supposed to be applying this much pressure?"

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

See, I am WAY too terrified of breaking something to do that. Hell, more than once I've had to look at instructions to go, "am I supposed to be applying this much pressure?"

Yeah, I have that feeling too, so I don't push too hard unless the instructions or videos say something should move when it feels like it shouldn't.

Even then, I broke the hand on my brand new Arcadia Macross Zero Nora's SV-51 by trying to put the gun in the hand. Popped the back of the hand off and lost the pinky finger. Wish I could buy a replacement hand, but I'll have to live without the finger till I can run across it.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Whoops. I didn't realize that Burn Out was shipping so soon. Was on the fence if I wanted her since I don't have a connection to the original bot and I sort of wanted to check out the Skids mold. Just got an email from Hasbro Pulse that I was charged for her and Cosmos so guess my decision was made for me!

I was looking forward to Burnout more but guess she's showing up later.

Picked up the Buzzworthy Bumblebee 4 pack today just for Goldbug. I might keep Ransack since I like the look of him. Not sure about Skywasp or Predacon Scorponok since I have no idea who they are. Their molds look interesting though. Unless someone here is interested in those two?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    I have been checking the Target app daily for Masterpiece Blackout.

This morning, finally, it showed up. Says ship to home only, and $165. I go to order it online... And it says not available yet. Ugh.

But at least I have a way to track it. That eliminates incessantly visiting the store like I used to do.

Edit: oh wait. That must have been for something else. Wooo! Order placed!

... And with that, I was able to get the number right to track on popfindr. And... Why am I not surprised that the Champaign target got 2, but no one else did?

Athenor on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I always transform my transformers without looking at the instructions. If I get to a point where I feel like I have to force something, I will stop and find a video showing that step to see if I'm doing something wrong.

I got my KO Arcade VF-1S figure in on Friday and love it, but there's on part in the transformation that I thought for sure was right, but wouldn't go. As it turns out I was correct but you had to pull up as you folded over the to separate the chest sections and fold them over. Even then it took quite a bit of force to get the pegs to pop loose.

The only transformer I've had recently that I couldn't figure out without help was TE-01 Transform Elements OP Leader (3rd party MP Optimus Prime), which was because I didn't realize there are spring loaded buttons in the shoulders.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That's pretty much what I do.

I'll try to transform the toy without instructions.

If there's not an apparent way something is supposed to go, I'll look at the box first.

Then the instructions (which aren't great)

Then if all that fails, I'll just look up a video.

• Options
    When I was a kid, I'd always transform my Transformers without instructions. I used to do that with Masterpiece, as well, but these days I get nervous about it - Masterpiece, and especially 3P (which is the bulk of what I buy, if only because many individual 3P companies are much more prolific than Takara), have gotten so complicated and delicate that I feel I am quite likely to do something wrong, and so expensive that I would have a real sad time if I break stuff. I might not follow instructions/a video when I'm actually transforming something for the first time, but I will probably have it handy so I can skip to the step I'm unsure of, and I certainly will have watched a transformation video a few times before actually transforming it.

In fact, that's a big part of the hype cycle for me - watching transformation videos, reviews, etc, to stop the shakes and shivers that set in when I haven't bought a new toy in more than 5 minutes.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, I'd always transform my Transformers without instructions. I used to do that with Masterpiece, as well, but these days I get nervous about it - Masterpiece, and especially 3P (which is the bulk of what I buy, if only because many individual 3P companies are much more prolific than Takara), have gotten so complicated and delicate that I feel I am quite likely to do something wrong, and so expensive that I would have a real sad time if I break stuff. I might not follow instructions/a video when I'm actually transforming something for the first time, but I will probably have it handy so I can skip to the step I'm unsure of, and I certainly will have watched a transformation video a few times before actually transforming it.

In fact, that's a big part of the hype cycle for me - watching transformation videos, reviews, etc, to stop the shakes and shivers that set in when I haven't bought a new toy in more than 5 minutes.

Sure I used to do it without instructions. But when I was a kid, most of the transformations where "Flip the legs down, pull the arms out, flip the head up! Boom, Robot.".
    Nowadays...

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    As a kid I broke my Swoop (I never did figure out how to swing the front half of the pterodactyl head down without breaking it), since then I’ve always been really careful to read the instructions.

Transformation videos have been a godsend for some of them.

• Options
    Transforming the MP trainbot was so nerve wracking.

On one hand, Takara still uses higher quality paper, clearer printing, and so on with their instructions.

On the other, each panel was SO small that making out what you were supposed to do was extremely difficult.

• Options
    There was no way I would have been able to transform Studio Series Jolt properly without a video, the instructions just couldn’t show one step at a clear enough level for it to work

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    As a kid I broke my Swoop (I never did figure out how to swing the front half of the pterodactyl head down without breaking it),

Swoop was one of my favorites in my collection as a kid. My fuzzy memories are telling me it was easy to have an issue not separating the two halves chest enough to make room for the beak to fit in. It would get caught a little bit before being fully open, and that could put pressure close to the beak hinge if you tried to force it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My roommate has been ordering figmas lately and got a... Suspect Solid Snake
    xpr4jpmqwd3y.jpg

The box appears to be real or am impressive production, and the accessories seem accurate. It's just... This uggo face figure. He seems sickly, frail of the body. Maybe this is one of the clones gone wrong... A little too liquidy

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Def counterfeit.

My fiance collects Figma, and we got one that looked exactly like that. Box either was legit, or very close repro, but the fig itself was garbage. She reported from where she bought it, was a 3rd party seller iirc. Got a refund.

QC on those is very high, and that would never have shipped from GoodSmile like that.

It is why she no longer buys used unless she can see it in hand, or from 3rd party sellers.

Risk is way too high.

On an unrelated note, got my Motormaster and he's great. I loved attaching Dragstrip to him, and now the rest of them need to come out so I can complete him.

Super happy with him!

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I used to transform without instructions if I could, but Alternators broke me of that habit. Skids was particularly hateful.

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    As a kid I broke my Swoop (I never did figure out how to swing the front half of the pterodactyl head down without breaking it),

Swoop was one of my favorites in my collection as a kid. My fuzzy memories are telling me it was easy to have an issue not separating the two halves chest enough to make room for the beak to fit in. It would get caught a little bit before being fully open, and that could put pressure close to the beak hinge if you tried to force it.

Yeah looking into reviews of Gen 1 Swoop it sounds like this was a common breakage issue. As a result it’s hard to find unbroken Gen 1 Swoops for collectors

• Options
    Well I wanted to share an "other toy" with the thread. Last week I read that Target has an Optimus Prime dog toy on their website and in store. So given my fandom for Transformers I had to buy it for my puppy. Figured it would be destroyed in one evening.

So far it has lasted a few days and is one of her more favorite toys.

optimus_dog_toy.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Guess your puppy's a Decepticon.

You know, my understanding is that when Transformers was translated/adapted/whatever for the China audience, Ravage was referred to as a dog (according to TFWiki, his name was literally "Mechanical Dog"), so basically the entire China G1 fanbase grew up knowing that Ravage is a dog (kind of like how toon and toy fans know what the correct Frumble colors are). Indeed, in 3P promo material/Chinese YouTuber videos, you'll occasionally see 3P versions of Ravage being referred to as a dog.

My point here is that your dog is probably a factory error limited collector's edition convention special white repaint of Ravage.

• Options
    Guess your puppy's a Decepticon.

You know, my understanding is that when Transformers was translated/adapted/whatever for the China audience, Ravage was referred to as a dog (according to TFWiki, his name was literally "Mechanical Dog"), so basically the entire China G1 fanbase grew up knowing that Ravage is a dog (kind of like how toon and toy fans know what the correct Frumble colors are). Indeed, in 3P promo material/Chinese YouTuber videos, you'll occasionally see 3P versions of Ravage being referred to as a dog.

My point here is that your dog is probably a factory error limited collector's edition convention special white repaint of Ravage.

Here I just nicknamed her Terri-Bull since she is a Bull Terrier. Hasbro changed the name of Horri-Bull so it fits for me.

But I like your story better!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Y'all like tiny dinobots?

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/08/03/more-legacy-year-2-listings-discovered-voyager-bludgeon-nemesis-leo-prime-ramjet-pr-more-462693
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV core Nemesis Prime
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Grimlock
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Bomburst Pr (Core Energon Monster Package refresh)
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Swoop
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Starscream Pr
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Skar
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Snarl
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Deluxe Shrapnel
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Deluxe Prowl
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Deluxe Crosscut
    • Tra Gen Legacy Ev Deluxe Junkion 2
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Voyager Nemesis Leo
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Voyager Ramjet Pr
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Voyager Junkion
    • Tra Gen Legacy Ev Voyager Bludgeon

Interesting that they's basically letting the Dinobots take over the core class next year, aside from a pretender, a Starscream repack and probably an Optimus redeco as Nemesis Prime. Skar might also be a Dinobot who has never had a toy before, so that's interesting.

We got another classic insecticon, another Prowl (curious if it's G1 prowl or someone else), Crosscut who is probably a Skids redeco. (Typically he's the ambassador that Road Rage is bodyguarding), and "Junkion 2" which who knows what that's going to be.

There's also a Voyager junkion, who isn't listed as a product repack, so super curious there. Nemesis Leo is probably an evil Leo Prime (aka Lio Convoy) redeco, Ramjet is popping up again for those who couldn't get him the first time, and finally to cap it all off, probably the most popular of the Pretenders, Bludgeon. (Guessing he shares tooling with Tarn)

Less wild than the first set of reveals, but still some crazy stuff next year. That's a LOT of Dinobots!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    I found out that my local board game / gunpla store can get in Flame Toys products.

... Megazord WILL be mine.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Well I wanted to share an "other toy" with the thread. Last week I read that Target has an Optimus Prime dog toy on their website and in store. So given my fandom for Transformers I had to buy it for my puppy. Figured it would be destroyed in one evening.

I don't know why, but the fact that the toy is a Target exclusive, and your dog is a bull terrier, which is Target's mascot Bullseye tickles me to no end.

I love it. The best serendipity.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    Y'all like tiny dinobots?

https://news.tfw2005.com/2022/08/03/more-legacy-year-2-listings-discovered-voyager-bludgeon-nemesis-leo-prime-ramjet-pr-more-462693
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV core Nemesis Prime
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Grimlock
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Bomburst Pr (Core Energon Monster Package refresh)
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Swoop
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Starscream Pr
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Skar
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Core Snarl
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Deluxe Shrapnel
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Deluxe Prowl
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Deluxe Crosscut
    • Tra Gen Legacy Ev Deluxe Junkion 2
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Voyager Nemesis Leo
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Voyager Ramjet Pr
    • Tra Gen Legacy EV Voyager Junkion
    • Tra Gen Legacy Ev Voyager Bludgeon

Interesting that they's basically letting the Dinobots take over the core class next year, aside from a pretender, a Starscream repack and probably an Optimus redeco as Nemesis Prime. Skar might also be a Dinobot who has never had a toy before, so that's interesting.

We got another classic insecticon, another Prowl (curious if it's G1 prowl or someone else), Crosscut who is probably a Skids redeco. (Typically he's the ambassador that Road Rage is bodyguarding), and "Junkion 2" which who knows what that's going to be.

There's also a Voyager junkion, who isn't listed as a product repack, so super curious there. Nemesis Leo is probably an evil Leo Prime (aka Lio Convoy) redeco, Ramjet is popping up again for those who couldn't get him the first time, and finally to cap it all off, probably the most popular of the Pretenders, Bludgeon. (Guessing he shares tooling with Tarn)

Less wild than the first set of reveals, but still some crazy stuff next year. That's a LOT of Dinobots!

Oooh this is awesome to see them continuing the Core line AND Dinobots.

I just saw the leaked Ratchet which makes me happy. Maybe it is time to sell off my Deluxes and go in on the Core line.
    HexDex wrote: »

I don't know why, but the fact that the toy is a Target exclusive, and your dog is a bull terrier, which is Target's mascot Bullseye tickles me to no end.

I love it. The best serendipity.

Now WHY didn't I think of that!!! I love it!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I found out that my local board game / gunpla store can get in Flame Toys products.

Starting to think the store monitors your social media posts and adjusts their inventory to extract the max amount of money from you. You specifically.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Starting to think the store monitors your social media posts and adjusts their inventory to extract the max amount of money from you. You specifically.

Given that one owner (of a married couple) is one of my former bosses/owners of a previous company (where I met him), and all the owners and managers are good friends of mine - including me recommending the head manager to work with the owner? Yeah. Yeah, they kind of laser focus on me.

... I've been told they would hire me in a heartbeat if they could afford me.

Athenor on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I used to transform without instructions if I could, but Alternators broke me of that habit. Skids was particularly hateful.

Grimlock is worse than Skids, imo. So much finicky crap that has to line up just right.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • Options
    Notice how it says 2005 in the url lol

• Options
    edited August 2022

"It is the year 2005. The treacherous Decepticons have conquered the Autobots' home planet of Cybertron. But from secret staging grounds on two of Cybertron's moons, the valiant autobots prepare to retake their homeland."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options

"It is the year 2005. The treacherous Decepticons have conquered the Autobots' home planet of Cybertron. But from secret staging grounds on two of Cybertron's moons, the valiant autobots prepare to retake their homeland."

I always assumed it was when the site went live, but that's cool too

Wait does that mean the site is older

• Options
    Wayback Machines goes all the way back to May 2000
    http://web.archive.org/web/20000510184431/http://www.tfw2005.com/

• Options

Given that one owner (of a married couple) is one of my former bosses/owners of a previous company (where I met him), and all the owners and managers are good friends of mine - including me recommending the head manager to work with the owner? Yeah. Yeah, they kind of laser focus on me.

... I've been told they would hire me in a heartbeat if they could afford me.
    I can't tell if you've made a terrible mistake (becoming friends with your drug dealer), or if you're a genius (moving behind the scenes to curate a hobby store that is built according to your exact specifications, all without revealing your dark machinations to the people whose very lives you toy with).

• Options
    I'm very, VERY glad I am not a mint in box collector on days like this.

I got my Target shipment (From the Bronx, no less!)... and I noticed the outside was caved in a bit. I had a sinking suspicion, which was quickly confirmed.

80Xa3Xal.jpg\

No packing material whatsoever. Not even a "makes you feel better" level of paper wadding. But hey, the box looks mostly unscat--- OH GOD.

pXMUrMml.jpg

Um... yeah. Well, packaging is meant to do this, right? Protect the product? Heh.. heh...

But seriously. YAY! Soundwave Blackout's here. And now to extract him from his tomb. More literally than I realized.

MQcB1gFl.jpg

Interesting! The lump in the upper right looks to be just tissue or newspaper, held together with tape. That's new. I wonder if a baggie or if the tape is more of an impact on the environment - or Hasbro's bottom line.

Time to take off the bracing!

UgOmuyPl.jpg

Mmm. Paper tie-downs. I honestly have missed those. I'll take them anyday over stretchy tie-downs or wires.

Let's see what's in the tissue paper!

xuqjSm6l.jpg

Big Dakka. Nice. And Scorponok turns out to be fairly articulated! Ball joints in a lot of places, sweet.

But, we turn our attention to the main deal. And you know what?

He... uh... He's a BIG BOI.

G6KbEwsh.jpg

The level of detail is insane. I love it.

I've mentioned before that Blackout is one of the few movie characters I really like the look of. I think it is telling that he was also one of the first designed by ILM. I liked him enough to get the original toy... and then the Studio Series.. and then hand upgrades for the Studio Series...

VK3sPIMh.jpg

Yeah, not transforming him just yet, so I can't compare all 3 side by side. But he still is fairly insane. Original on the right, Studio Series on the left.

Interestingly, Scorponok doesn't look like he got as much of an upgrade from the SS to Masterpiece. It's scaled a little bigger and has better paint apps and some more joints, but honestly? I bet this could have been included with the Studio Series release just fine.

9nsrhXjh.jpg

As usual, Masterpiece toys come with intimidating instruction sheets. I don't think this one is as bad as Shouki's, though.

JDiP7R0l.jpg

isnkqrcl.jpg

Sadly, I (theoretically) still have work for the rest of the day. So I can't sit down and play with him like I'd want to. So for now, I'll just do a quick, impromptu size comparison.

z8SZ3Ekh.jpg

He big. And I need to dust this shelf again, it's only been a few months!

• Options
    Okay... about an hour of fiddling, being super careful, cursing, and trying to get panels JUST right later... and I think I've got it, and a better understanding of how it goes together.

Good lord. Once it is together, it is a fucking solid rock.

vLlj5KKh.jpg

R7gvzMLh.jpg

The size isn't... all that much bigger than the (Leader Class) Blackout, though in robot form it is significantly larger. But.. well, here's the money shot and why I was so excited.

TeHOj15h.jpg

And finally, a rough comparison.

he4eKoUh.jpg

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So now that you're familiar with the process, would you say it would be fun to transform again?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    So now that you're familiar with the process, would you say it would be fun to transform again?

I'd say so! There's a lot of steps where things get in your way, but it really is just a bunch of sliding panels that move and shift into place. The only real difficult part, as it was for the earlier versions, is lining up the hips so everything collapses in properly. I can definitely see changing up the order of operations from the manual, though.