As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The newest action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Yeah, my biggest issue is so many people act like spoiled brats about the hobby (I know it's a hobby around collecting children's toys, but that doesn't mean you need to act like a child), and will not hesitate to hurl all sorts of vitriol towards hasbro and each other for slights both real and imagined. Just absolutely no chill in something that's supposed to be a hobby. I've seen people consume media they hated (which they made sure to let everyone know, each and every opportunity they got) just because it had Transformers on it and they like Transformers. And I get it the desire, but if it's not bringing you any joy, why bother? And if you're just reading it for the joy of complaining about it, then, like, is it really a hobby anymore at that point?

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Target's having a 25% off promotion, so I finally ordered MPM Blackout. He's the one I wanted when that line first started, so it will be nice to finally have him on the shelf next to the rest.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Up with hobbies, down with fandoms.
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I just got an email from a vendor that I'm very excited about. A purchase I've forgotten about like 3 times.
    Soooooo, are you going to keep us in suspense over what it is?!?

I believe, if you look deep within your heart, you already know the answer.

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Oooof. Must resist...

Today, I got a notice that Amazon was running a sale on Legacy Metroplex (the latest titan) for closer to traditional prices of $150. I saw it and was like "Well, better price, but still no room - especially with the other big ticket items I have coming in.

Then, just now, DNA Designs announced an upgrade kit for him. New hands (of course), shoulder fillers, a new ratchet piece to make the sparkdrinker work much better and be bigger... and the minicon that Hasbro skipped on. It's... a really nice package, even if they didn't "fix" anything with the sparkdrinker or his missing cybertron key. It's also expensive, as anything with a fully assembled bot from them is.

It is harder and harder to resist temptation on that.

Just wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and you'll probably buy one then with a great discount.

I mean I bought the Bumblebee Movie Arcee for $15 during the Amazon Not-Really Prime Day sale since I'm weak. She is really good though and I'm impressed how nice she really is. Just need to get some time to photograph her to share with the thread.
    Artereis wrote: »
    Target's having a 25% off promotion, so I finally ordered MPM Blackout. He's the one I wanted when that line first started, so it will be nice to finally have him on the shelf next to the rest.

That is a great discount for him. He's one I actually like in both modes.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Yeah I feel like that new Metroplex isn’t as desirable and will probably drop cheaper. Didn’t the Ark get discounted a good amount?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Up with hobbies, down with fandoms.
    I just got an email from a vendor that I'm very excited about. A purchase I've forgotten about like 3 times.
    Soooooo, are you going to keep us in suspense over what it is?!?

I believe, if you look deep within your heart, you already know the answer.
    Oh, well, I suppose so... but isn't it going to be hard to store 150 kilos of cocaine?

Speaking of the Ark, I'm eyeballing the sticker set over on Toyhax. I'm definitely getting the Scourge set (it'll fix a lot, but not all, of what I found wrong with Scourge's deco, plua shiny chrome stickers for his trailer). so I figured I should check it out while I'm there.

Problem: It's a whopping $65 set and doesn't even come with stickers for Mainframe (that's another $20 on it's own). I wanted it to help break up the wide swaths of orange on the vehicle mode and make it look a bit more detailed given it's supposed to be a big ship, so lots of windows and stuff is expected. Still, I know I'm not going to use all of the stickers, so that steep price is even steeper. I'm also a little worried about my ability to properly place the stickers.

Does anyone have any experience with Toyhax's sticker sets? Any advice for placing stickers, too?

• HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I did my Trypticon with panel lining and Toyhax stickers. They are typically metal backed stickers (for the reflective surface) made from a fairly strong but flexible plastic. The stickers are pre-cut, so it's just peel up and apply. The glue is strong. I had little fear with peeling up a partially applied sticker by the time this project was done, because the sticker itself was unbreakable and resistant to fold lines / stretch marks.

The stickers are expensive and can be very challenging to peel up once applied, but otherwise are the best quality stickers I've ever used. I've since bought and applied sets for MP-10SG and a few others toys, and I have sets to apply to Siege Jetfire and all 5 of the Earthrise Seekers I bought from Betsuni.

After having been on the outs with Gunpla for the past year, I'm finding myself falling back in love with the hobby. The RG God Gundam arrived today and I expect the expansion pack to arrive in the next few weeks.

*edit*

Pics:
    3Sdy1Y0.jpg
    3NvXoxu.jpg
    14S5oe3.jpg
    sVN3T2G.jpg

Heffling on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay, I'm not the only one who has just not been in a mood to build gunpla for a while!

(Yes, I know we've talked about this. :D )

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I've been building and had some projects I was genuinely excited about, but my build log is littered with half finished projects. I've got multiple models I built but never panel lined or decaled, including two Ver Ka's. I think I'm just going to pack those into bags and in a box and into the closet, and if I want to finish them later I can. As is it feels like I have an obligation to finish the kits, which I logically recognize is a very stupid emotional response but also I can't not have that emotional response.

My birthday is on the first, and my wife gave me a generous budget to spend on toys. And while there's stuff I want, I'm running into room constraints. I'm tempted more than anything to spend it on bulk random Lego, given that I've thoroughly enjoyed resorting my existing collection.

edited October 2022
    A Transformers Youtuber named TJOmega recently partnered with Entertainment Earth for a 10% discount on in-stock items in the store.. Edit: the discount can apparently also be applied with the free shipping on $39 or higher orders code!

TJOmega is pretty fun to watch (though I'd suggest pumping the speed up a notch or two) who puts outs a 15-30 minute video every single day, usually about Transformers. Some things about him annoy me but he's an otherwise levelheaded guy and frequently comes up with fun ideas for videos.

Link to the discount in the video, which is about his "Mount Rushmoore" for the creative side of the franchise. (Voice actors, writers, designers etc.). I thought it was going to be about the Transformers directly and I was like "How is this not just Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee and Starscream?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u6HuiMqyT8

Oh, heh, it's for in-stock items only.

Still, a great youtuber.

Undead Scottsman on
    Yeah the EE codes bug me since they are for in-stock only, and they seem to never keep anything in-stock. Everythig is pre-order and pay for shipping. I hate their prices for shipping since I'm in the same state and the cost is nearly USPS desk prices and they always ship stuff to me via Pitney Bowes which is the crappiest shopper in the world.

I'm looking at three Star Wars Vintage figures that were Walmart Exclusives and I just can't pull the trigger paying shipping at the cost of one figure.

oosik_betsuni.png
    They've had a constant coupon for free shipping for orders over $39 dollars for awhile now. You have to manually enter it, but there's at least an alert on the top of the checkout page with the code on it.

They've had a constant coupon for free shipping for orders over $39 dollars for awhile now. You have to manually enter it, but there's at least an alert on the top of the checkout page with the code on it.

Wow, got it to work. It oddly never worked for me before. Thanks!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Well, it's not the pony I necessarily wanted, but.. it'll do. :)

So last year when I decided I wanted to start collecting the Bishojo statues, the only one readily available was Applejack. She was the last of the Mane 6, so only her and Sunset Shimmer were around. I got lucky and got ahold of the ones I missed, but in Limited Edition format. The LEs have them in their "Equestria Girls" coloring, with transparent glitter hair instead of solid painted hair. Also slight changes to clothes coloring to help with the skin tones.

Well, over time, I got all the ones I missed except Rainbow Dash. Then they announced the LE of Applejack. This didn't surprise me, but it did surprise me that they announced her before RD. Maybe it had to do with Dashie's complexity, who knows.

My collector's instinct kicked in, and I knew I wouldn't be able to handle having 1 "odd" character out of the rest. So despite having the least differences between the regular and LE (due to the yellow skin tone being somewhat close to the flesh skintones the regular used), I pulled the trigger.

Today, she arrived.

Derd7mah.jpg

This is a good chance to see how the boxes differ! They are more or less the same, just with the designer's name moved to be less prominent and a "LIMITED EDITION" text put in its place. Also the coloring matches the character instead of a generic white (heh heh).

11fZZpkh.jpg

Any other side, and you would only know it's the LE if you knew about the sparkly box.

NMtxTuAh.jpg

So yeah! As usual, she's looking mighty good.

lVPUOE5h.jpg

But like I said.. VERY little to make her stand apart. I think you can see her freckles a little bit better, and I swear she has nail polish, or it is more noticeable? The pony coloring is slightly darker too.

mMaQToth.jpg

It is kind of a shame that with the transparent glitter hair, you are losing the subtle shading and highlighting on the hair. That is something I think I miss across the whole line. As I've said before, I'd love it if I could have the Equestria Girls skin tone with the original hair.

rsxe2erh.jpg

But yeah... 5 out of 6 LEs down, with Rainbow Dash coming at some point in the near future! ... I need to get some acrylic risers for these, to allow them to show off without taking up so much room.

jqMnRPfh.jpg

Edit: Whoops! Forgot to use the imgur "huge thumbnail" setting on the last few. Though man, does the forum's auto-scaling look much better than imgur's... but I also know that comes at a cost of way more bandwidth.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited October 2022
    Aaaaand right on cue, Hasbro dropped yet another Haslab for Transformers!

https://hasbropulse.com/products/transformers-generations-haslab-deathsaurus

Deathsaurus... don't know anything about the character other than it being Victory Saber's villain, so I guess this'll be a "how good is the toy" situation.

Edit: The throne might push me over the edge. It's nice of them to show all the stretch goals up-front (it's in the video at least). 30 points of articulation and 11" tall isn't.. huge for the price, so we'll see. It looks so simple compared to Victory Saber...

Athenor on
    The latest Haslab for Transformers got revealed, and it's a Deathsaurus to go along with Victory Saber.

He comes with both of his breastmasters.. i mean micromasters, and they'll even transform into weapons like the bow and gun. He also comes with his big sword and shield. 11,000 backers.

First tier is a couple of weapons that showed up in the anime and some blast effects. 14,000 backers

Second and final tier is a display stand and a bigass Decepticon throne! 17,00 backers. It's been up for like ten minutes and already has 1,300 backers, so we'll see how far it gets. I got my order in! :)

This is also pushing me towards jumping on. I started looking when the project was at 844 backers, so this one is definitely hot.

HTAXNS0h.jpg

(I also hope this means Victory Saber is shipping soon...)

Deathsaurus was a typical TF Anime villain. It's been awhile since I've seen Victory, but TFwiki says he was big on letting his minions take the lead on stuff.. so long as it got results.

It was also discovered he has a wife (Esmeral) and kids in one of the mangas.

In IDW he was an exiled Decepticon commander who seemed to give at least some of a shit about his underlings. In IDW2 he was a corrupt government official who was extorting lesser species for energon until Cliffjumper of all people kicked his ass. He eventually wound up getting his spark eaten by Exarchon.

He does look cool, though.

edited October 2022
    Heads up. Legacy Minerva, Velocitron Crasher and Velocitron Shadowstrip are available for order on Hasbro Pulse. Sadly premium members get first crack at them, so they wont be available to us plebs until 20 more minutes. I hope none of them sell out before then.

Undead Scottsman on
    Heads up. Legacy Minerva, Velocitron Crasher and Velocitron Shadowstrip are available for order on Hasbro Pulse. Sadly premium members get first crack at them, so they wont be available to us plebs until 20 more minutes. I hope none of them sell out before then.

I'm so sorry I didn't expect her to sell out, otherwise I would have ordered a second set for you. It is pretty crappy that Pulse didn't limit the orders to 2 per person.

oosik_betsuni.png
    It's alright, she'll show up at Walgreens at some point.

It's not even that she sold out, it's that I because I dont' shell out $50 a year for Pulse Premium, I didn't even get a chance to buy her. And I would get pulse premium except the free shipping doesn't apply to Alaska, so fuck me I guess.

Got Crasher at least. Saves me from dealing with Walmart.

edited October 2022
    It's alright, she'll show up at Walgreens at some point.

It's not even that she sold out, it's that I because I dont' shell out $50 a year for Pulse Premium, I didn't even get a chance to buy her. And I would get pulse premium except the free shipping doesn't apply to Alaska, so fuck me I guess.

Got Crasher at least. Saves me from dealing with Walmart.

Yeah, saw your post in the thread and the jerky response assuming you were in the mainland.

Edit: Glad that you got Crasher. I'll keep my eyes open for another Premium listing of Minerva, or Walgreens for you.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Welp, I missed Crasher, Minerva, and Bomb-burst

Pretty fucking annoyed

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Welp, I missed Crasher, Minerva, and Bomb-burst

Pretty fucking annoyed

You can snag Bomb-burst from EE.

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/transformers-generation-legacy-core-bombburst/hsf3010

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

This is freaking adorable

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I was looking at the Nyanko, but the preorder sold out. =\

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I've decided to stick with this color on the purple uniform:

ulll8o5nggnx.jpg

I was hoping to get a richer, deeper color but I think I can't really get that when I have to rinse out all the dye bleed to keep it from staining. This is a nice enough color, I was just hoping for something a little more bold. I might get up the energy to try the dye bath again, we'll see.

You'll also notice that Lucy is no longer a cyborg and is back to being a Shepard. That's because I felt it was better to have 2 Shepards, one who will eventually be in armor, and one in uniform. I don't have anyone for the cyborg bust at the time, I'll find someone later to take it.

I also got the new head of Liara in yesterday:

qo9mwx42aw2w.jpg

She's really cute!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I have a Nendoroid figure, and I love the general quality and aesthetic, but man, my desire to buy Good Smile Company products really dropped when it came out that apparently they own part of 4chan. From what I understand, it's murky and difficult to untangle the exact degree of their involvement, but it appears that the involvement is more than "none", and that's enough for me to back out.

(To be clear, I'm not judging anyone for continuing to buy those products, just bringing up a really unexpected revelation.)

But hey, in cheerier news, why did no one tell me that Hasbro announced D20s that transform into D&D monsters?
    https://toynewsi.com/278-44940

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I have a Nendoroid figure, and I love the general quality and aesthetic, but man, my desire to buy Good Smile Company products really dropped when it came out that apparently they own part of 4chan. From what I understand, it's murky and difficult to untangle the exact degree of their involvement, but it appears that the involvement is more than "none", and that's enough for me to back out.

(To be clear, I'm not judging anyone for continuing to buy those products, just bringing up a really unexpected revelation.)

Wow I looked into this and had no idea, very weird.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    But hey, in cheerier news, why did no one tell me that Hasbro announced D20s that transform into D&D monsters?
    https://toynewsi.com/278-44940

Just found out about those this morning, other half and I are trying to figure out if we want all 4 or just the 2 dragons

Owlbear don't care.

M0Echhhh.jpg

• MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular

This is super bizarre and depressing. I love the figma line, but I have absolutely no desire to support that toxic website. From what I can see, the reports seem to rely on anonymous sources providing contradictory information, so yeah, murky and not conclusive, but it sure doesn't feel good. I had to cancel most of my preorders anyway until my job situation stabilizes and this kills my interest in picking up those figures later on.

MelonTron wrote: »

This is super bizarre and depressing. I love the figma line, but I have absolutely no desire to support that toxic website. From what I can see, the reports seem to rely on anonymous sources providing contradictory information, so yeah, murky and not conclusive, but it sure doesn't feel good. I had to cancel most of my preorders anyway until my job situation stabilizes and this kills my interest in picking up those figures later on.
    Yeah, there's no clear, unambiguous "yup, they 100% are financially involved" proof (which I found surprising, but I guess tangling and disguising your business concerns is like Shady Business 101). I'm not super-invested in Good Smile Company's stuff, so for me it's fairly easy to just not buy their products as a precaution. Realistically, they won't even notice, but it makes me feel marginally better.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ya'll I may be even more of a weirdo than I thought. I'm seriously considering buying a silicone body for one of my dolls.

I don't think I can directly link the websites that sell them, since they are essentially sculptures of 60cm naked women, but if you google Adyka Flex body or Evoke doll body you'll see the two after-market brands that sell bodies. Originally I was going to go with Adyka, but just today I learned about Evoke and I'm tempted because its an entirely seamless body, no joints showing; but Adyka shares in how their build process works and from what they've shared it seems like they've made a body that will last, which I can't guarantee about the Evoke body.

They're just so pretty, I want one. I feel like this makes me a bit of a perv, but that isn't stopping me from wanting to get one! The draw of such a body is two-fold: one, it means fewer seams on the doll, especially if I get an Evoke - the only seam would be between the head and body, the rest is a solid piece. Two, it means that the body would appropriately "squish" when wearing clothes, which can't happen on other doll materials.

The downside, apart from making me look like I'm purchasing a miniature real doll, is that silicone bodies don't have as long of a shelf life as vinyl or resin dolls would. Silicone degrades more easily, and the structure inside these dolls is a wire frame that will wear down and break at the joints, as you change positions on the doll over and over. That's another reason Adyka has a slight advantage, the way they have designed the frame, I believe, will make for a longer survivability rate for the body.

I can't afford this right now anyway, but... someday I will probably buy one. And maybe not tell anyone about it except my husband.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I've seen lots of seamless figures so guessing they're also silicone. They look neat without any joints or seams so I can see why you're intrigued in getting one.

As for them lasting forever. I don't think anything made these days is made to last forever, or even 30 years.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • AntonioMabsAntonioMabs Registered User regular
    Made two beadbots today.
    qrnuaq0pjz3z.jpeg

Cambiata wrote: »
    I can't afford this right now anyway, but... someday I will probably buy one. And maybe not tell anyone about it except my husband.

And us

You better tell us

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I've seen lots of seamless figures so guessing they're also silicone.

I realized when looking closer at the Evoke website, that they sell both silicone and polyurethane rubber dolls. Silicone as a casting material for toys is very rare, because of how destructible it is, so most posable seamless figures I would expect to be using polyurethane rubber instead.
    They look neat without any joints or seams so I can see why you're intrigued in getting one.

As for them lasting forever. I don't think anything made these days is made to last forever, or even 30 years.

I just have this weird "thing" of wanting these dolls to last into the future as an antique, even if I'm not alive to see it! I don't know why. But also, there have been times I accidentally dropped a Smart Doll or it fell off of a shelf and got knocked around, but the doll was fine anyway - and I would have to be oooh so careful with a silicone doll to make sure that never happens, because one drop from height would at least cause some significant damage. Thinking about stuff like that moves me away from wanting a silicone body... buttttt not so much that I'm not still strongly considering it.