As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Jazzmaster of Puppets

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    That Rotting Kingdom album is a sleeper for sure

There was a lot of death doom pulling in some 90s grunge influence (Temple of Void, Nekrovault) and this is the best of it for sure

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm sorry but what

ym1qe4l111sc.png

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    I was scratching my head wondering what to get my dad for Christmas this year. I joked that maybe I should just get him something I liked (in some sort of media-wise kind of way) and hope for the best. Knowing my general taste, he actually sort of ran with that, so he's getting Nightwish Decades and Delain Apocalypse & Chill. It'll be his first albums of both, but he's heard a song or two by each before and they got a positive reception, so should be good.

Jazz on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry but what

ym1qe4l111sc.png

Where's the wallet chain and mask?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    Ah, yes, that famous Iowa Whiskey. Its our most famous export, next to corn, soybeans, methamphetamine, and regressive politics.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Ah, yes, that famous Iowa Whiskey. Its our most famous export, next to corn, soybeans, methamphetamine, and regressive politics.

Hey, quit competing with Missouri, we were here first!

Or at least let us join forces to retake the methlab crown from Omaha.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    That Rotting Kingdom album is a sleeper for sure

There was a lot of death doom pulling in some 90s grunge influence (Temple of Void, Nekrovault) and this is the best of it for sure

Oh I'm liking this Rotting Kingdom album a bunch. I checked it out because I like Temple of Void a lot and that got my attention. :mrgreen:

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sylosis with a bit of a banger.

https://youtu.be/fNZpc5uTSuA

Main riff reminds me of something off of AJFA, but a bit nastier. That fucking chorus riff tho

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I think my tops of the year are pretty much solidified, but I'm probably only going to do 5. And not in order, as I find it difficult to really rank an album as #1, when everythings kind of putting out different emotions

Intronaut - Fluid Existential Inversions: This one came out of nowhere just a few short weeks ago and it's made a hell of an impact. Really good songwriting, really good melodies and transitions, really excellent instrumental performances. This is a bad I sort of dropped out of following a while back (Prehistoricisms) and I'm glad to be back into the fold with them. Definitely feels a bit more breezy, a bit like it could be used in the soundtrack to a Vegas movie, at parts. Really great overall album.

Black Crown Initiate - Violent Portrayals of Doomed Escape: A moody, melodic, sometimes violent, and always dark progressive album that's got some amazing big choruses and just nasty riffs. Complex and interesting song structures give away to unexpected compositions, like a metal band daring to write an entire song in a major key.

Trivium - What the Dead Men Say: We all know who these guys are and you already know if you agree or not, but for me it was great songwriting, great vocals, amazing drumming, great riffs, solid solos. Not their best album, but awful close and easily one of my favorites of the year.

Spiritbox - Holy Roller, Blessed Be, Rule of Nines, Constance: This one took me by surprise. They share a lot in common with a lot of other modern metal bands, but they are a bit on the nastier side when they get grimy and Courtney LaPlante (Formerly iwrestledabearonce) is a genuine talent. What they lack in musical capability they more than make up for in atmosphere and creating something that just sounds ridiculously sinister. Their more mainstream trappings make it a little predictable and sort of keep it from really soaring, but there's more than enough standout moments in the songs to make my top of the year.

Stray from the Path - Internal Atomics: Technically November 2019, but I didn't hear it until April of this year and it's a corker. Plus this is my list so fuck off, Mr. List Lawyer. Just a white hot fire of pure political punk fury from the initial chords to the final hit, this is the kind of album you start a fight or a fire to. Killer shit, not a drop of fat or filler.

Edit: To clarify on Spiritbox, I picked up their singles and have shoved it into a makeshift EP, including their newest single "Constance" which is really exceptional

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Interesting picks, a couple of these will be in my top 100 and backup 100 lists on RYM.

I will have to check out this Spiritbox joint, that's one I have not actually heard, although I know iwrestledabearonce.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    autothrall wrote: »
    Interesting picks, a couple of these will be in my top 100 and backup 100 lists on RYM.

I will have to check out this Spiritbox joint, that's one I have not actually heard, although I know iwrestledabearonce.

I dunno if it's going to be up your alley, but you probably have a good feel of my taste (pretty big core/mainstream lean, sucker for a good sung chorus, love some chug) by now and probably know what you're getting into

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yht0WDdzGJM

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Oh no worries, always like to check out new sounds.

I listened to that track and one more. It was alright, the mix of atmospheric pop and then some djenty/low end grooves was soothing, and when she went into her metalcore raging vox it felt like a smooth transition and not cheesy. In one or two places it reminded me of Madder Mortem, a band I really love so that was cool.

I might actually play this tune for my older son, he's into the stuff that mixes the pop and the heaviness (Babymetal, etc.)

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Oh no worries, always like to check out new sounds.

I listened to that track and one more. It was alright, the mix of atmospheric pop and then some djenty/low end grooves was soothing, and when she went into her metalcore raging vox it felt like a smooth transition and not cheesy. In one or two places it reminded me of Madder Mortem, a band I really love so that was cool.

I might actually play this tune for my older son, he's into the stuff that mixes the pop and the heaviness (Babymetal, etc.)

Sweet!

Their sound has that je ne sais quoi that other bands that could be considered "contemporary" just don't have. Maybe it's just honest emotion? Shit I dunno, but it sounds great on a sick set of headphones.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Sylosis with a bit of a banger.

https://youtu.be/fNZpc5uTSuA

Main riff reminds me of something off of AJFA, but a bit nastier. That fucking chorus riff tho

Oh snap, that's Conor from Conjurer pulling bass duty. Best windmills this side of the Channel.

Interesting direction for Sylosis there, less thrashy with bigger hooks. I wonder if Josh is looking to bring the band a bit more mainstream success. Dude can write anything metal related, so I'm sure he will if he wants to.

Campy on
  • Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    edited December 2020
    Alright, ladies and gents. Here's Ethel's big (ok, not so big) list of favorites (90+/100) from the 1960's. Not a whole lot here because, as I mentioned before, many classic, well-regarded albums didn't really do much for me. Of note: I was not expecting to include anything by the Beatles since I've never been taken by anything I've heard from them in the past. BUT Sgt. Pepper floored me. Many of those songs have been firmly rooted in my brain for weeks now.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/EthelTheFrog/1960s/

I'm just a young buck listening through music from 30+ years before he was born, so I'm sure there's plenty of stuff that wasn't on my radar. So hit me up with all your recommendations. Any genre will do.

EthelTheFrog on
    All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    If we're staying in the '60s, that includes most of The Doors catalogue - the first album and Strange Days in particular are worth your time - and the first two Led Zeppelin albums. And although the '60s as a whole were a fallow period for Elvis Presley, his '68 Comeback Special (as it has since become known) is a total masterclass; there's a reason why it got his career right back on track.

Plus, you know, Jimi Hendrix.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Kick Out the Jams by MC5 is a pretty important late-60s record. For proto-heaviness, you'll also want to grok Vincebus Eruptum by Blue Cheer (1968), Sea Shanties circa High Tide (1969), and of course In-a-Gadda-da-Vida, some Iron Butterfly awesomeness (1968), featuring at least one of the greatest guitar riffs ever written.

Some cool psych rock stuff that I don't think was mentioned...although we're heading away from ancient heaviness...

Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow
    Grateful Dead Aoxomoxoa
    Captain Beefheart Safe as Milk
    Kaleidoscope (the British one) Tangerine Dream
    Country Joe and the Fish Electric Music for the Mind and Body
    Strawberry Alarm Clock Incense and Peppermints
    The Red Krayola The Parable of Arable Land
    The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators
    The Monkees Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones (this band was just awesome in general, maybe I'm a heretic but I like them as much as the The Beatles if not more, or rather at least I still listen to them)

autothrall on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2020
    Seconding MC5, Blue Cheer, and the 13th Floor Elevators. I would also put Odessey and Oracle by the Zombies in a must listen status and probably my favorite of the 60s - it goes everywhere some other top acts (Beatles, Beach Boys, the Kinks, Rolling Stones) but does it better than any of them IMO.

Certainly not a classic, but if you're digging the proto-heaviness, the Numero Uno comp, Warfaring Strangers: Acid Nightmares is super interesting as a historical document for seeing the bands that didn't quite make it. While none of these are going to dethrone the top albums, you'll definitely have a few of these stuck in your head (Red Brained Woman, Time's Up, Dooms Day, Speed Freak are all standouts to me).

Vanguard on
  • Options
    I think the first one or two ZZ Top albums fall into the the '60s as well.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    I think the first one or two ZZ Top albums fall into the the '60s as well.

The first albums were early 70s.

And thanks for reminding me how damn old I am.

• Options
    I did check out The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and Jimi Hendrix. I was close to putting the debuts from the first two on that list: I really liked them on the first couple listens but many of the tracks didn't end up sticking with me. I had similar feelings about Hendrix's material, although I fully recognize how important a figure he is/was. But I'm not sure why Iron Butterfly and The Monkees weren't added to my que as I've definitely been aware of them in the past.

Thanks for all the recs, though! Those should keep me busy for a few weeks. (And I'll add ZZ Top to my stuff to listen to in the 70's if they aren't already there.)

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    The classic Nuggets comp is great for a wide, hearty spread of 60s garage rock.

The first 3 Velvet Underground albums are blueprints for most punk, indie, and garage rock that came afterwards. I'm also a big sucker for Creedence Clearwater Revival, if choogle rock is interesting to you. Also, Beggar's Banquet is my personal favorite Rolling Stones album.

If you want to get away from rock, the 60s were also a definitive decade for soul and R&B: James Brown, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, The Supremes, Isaac Hayes, all released their best work in the 60s. Pretty much anything released on Motown or Stax/Volt is worth your time.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    I did check out The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and Jimi Hendrix. I was close to putting the debuts from the first two on that list: I really liked them on the first couple listens but many of the tracks didn't end up sticking with me. I had similar feelings about Hendrix's material, although I fully recognize how important a figure he is/was. But I'm not sure why Iron Butterfly and The Monkees weren't added to my que as I've definitely been aware of them in the past.

Thanks for all the recs, though! Those should keep me busy for a few weeks. (And I'll add ZZ Top to my stuff to listen to in the 70's if they aren't already there.)

Basically all ZZ Top's '70s output is great.

Obviously Eliminator in '83 was the big one, but what's often glossed over is how much of a stylistic change it was for them. But they're one of those bands who are (well, certainly were; I've missed their last few) extremely consistent quality-wise for a long, long time.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    a3239745343_16.jpg

Late 2020 bandcamp gem: Totenwache - Kriegswesen

Self produced 3 piece black metal with a ton of melody that never compromises on the heaviness?

Just an EP but going to be put them in the "groups to watch"

Vanguard on
  • Options
    I think some darkwave shit might be appreciated here

https://youtu.be/knAwGClm-4A

• Options
    Speaking of tie-ins, I noticed for the sweet-looking new Viking-themed Magic card set Kaldheim, numerous metal bands like Amon Amarth, Torche and Rhapsody of Fire were doing some promotional bits with spoiler cards.

• Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    I was surprised to see bands like Tomb Mold and Converge on the CP2077 soundtrack. It's a pretty cool soundtrack!

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Speaking of tie-ins, I noticed for the sweet-looking new Viking-themed Magic card set Kaldheim, numerous metal bands like Amon Amarth, Torche and Rhapsody of Fire were doing some promotional bits with spoiler cards.

Mastodon and Angra also.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Just signal boosting for these local Salem MA guys playing some ambitious heavy/doom metal, their last album was D&D themed, this is cool stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RITsrxjajyY&ab_channel=Olyphant-Topic

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    In one of the Darkthrone commentaries, Fenriz mentions how he thinks albums should be officially logged by their recording year and not their release year. For example, he said that the band considers A Blaze In the Northern Sky a 1991 album, Under a Funeral Moon a 1992 album, and so on. I can't help but think he's right. Definitely would make things more complicated, though.

EthelTheFrog on
  • Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Problem with that is that some albums are recorded over multiple years, sometimes with significant gaps in between.

• Options
    Problem with that is that some albums are recorded over multiple years, sometimes with significant gaps in between.

Chinese Democracy, its decade+ development, and its 4 lead guitarists says hello.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Heh, this reminded me that Fear Factory's original first album, Concrete, came out in 2002, 11 years after it had been recorded.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    It should be labeled as the year in which it was released as a commercial physical (or digital) product. Especially for music collectors who often want to know the differences between printings, special editions, remasters, etc. With digital releases, you can have an almost instant turnaround anyway. That said, music listeners should be (and mostly are) cognizant that these things were recorded in advance of their release date, so if we're saying 'that band was way ahead of its time', we need to subconsciously tack on those extra months or years.

Rake & the Hoe released this in 2020, but they actually recorded it in 2017, so they were WAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE in the genre of splatter-country-industrial-R&B-duets.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Haha ok ok. You all make good points.

• Options
    edited December 2020
    The year has officially been won. This is why the 'thrall doesn't submit his top list until after Christmas. Look at that pissed off face...you know he wanted to spit gutturals and they talked him down. The world wasn't ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FggsEkPQEbc&ab_channel=CueStack

autothrall on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Don't know if this has been shared yet. It's not really metal but this interesting combination of Norwegian and Germanic (I think) folk. Kind of like a hypnotic Solstafir. Thought the thread might appreciate:

https://youtu.be/64CACoHNBEI

• Options
    The year has officially been won. This is why the 'thrall doesn't submit his top list until after Christmas. Look at that pissed off face...you know he wanted to spit gutturals and they talked him down. The world wasn't ready.

Very nice, though Du remains the Hoff's ultimate masterpiece. Through the Night has a bit of True Survivor vibe:

https://youtu.be/ZTidn2dBYbY

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    It's insane to think that the new Vader won't make my top 20 for '20 metal albums, but there it is...it's only #21.

Of course there's a week to go before I cut and tally, so it could slip further.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Very nice, though Du remains the Hoff's ultimate masterpiece. Through the Night has a bit of True Survivor vibe:

https://youtu.be/ZTidn2dBYbY

It always makes me chuckle that a car introduced in 1974 could become such an icon of the '80s. (Still a personal fave in all its variants. (As is the Hoff, naturally.))

Jazz on
This discussion has been closed.