[Hesher] Fenriz Navidad!

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    I think I only had crossover with Steevl's list about 6-7 times, and I must have purchased around 80-100 new 2020 albums (I'm not including the promos for the blog).

That just goes to show how much great freakin' metal there is.

One of the things I like about this thread is that it makes me realize my metal taste is far more (for lack of a better term) mainstream than a lot of others here. There's a good chunk of stuff posted in here that doesn't connect with me at all, but I appreciate having access to it. And every now and then something actually will connect, which is cool too!

JazzEthelTheFrogKreutzautothrallAuralynxjungleroomx
  • JazzJazz Fuck cancer. Un-UKRegistered User regular
    Marko Hietala is leaving Nightwish, and public life.

https://nightwish.com/news/resignation-marko-hietala

As bummed as I am that one of my favourite musicians & singers is calling it a day, it sounds like it's for the best for him and I wish him well. As for where the band goes from here, or at least after the next tour, we'll see. Those are some big shoes to fill.

Cheers for everything, Marko. We'll miss you, but do what you need to do and take care of yourself.

KreutzSteevLBlackDragon480FeriluceCantidoDrCongo
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx I had a dream of schism, force the rule of nines Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    SteevL wrote: »
    autothrall wrote: »
    I think I only had crossover with Steevl's list about 6-7 times, and I must have purchased around 80-100 new 2020 albums (I'm not including the promos for the blog).

That just goes to show how much great freakin' metal there is.

One of the things I like about this thread is that it makes me realize my metal taste is far more (for lack of a better term) mainstream than a lot of others here. There's a good chunk of stuff posted in here that doesn't connect with me at all, but I appreciate having access to it. And every now and then something actually will connect, which is cool too!

In my circle I would've definitely come across certain things, but other bands like Harakiri for the Sky, Black Crown Initiate, and other acts would never, ever cross my view.

I think we all diverge into our weird little spheres, which makes the diverse nature of this thread a joy.

jungleroomx on
    P.A.T.W.N.S.E claims another.
    SteevLBlackDragon480Campy
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    Something I missed at the end of last year. Enforced is a nice slab of crossover thrash. First track from their new album coming out in March is up.

autothrallCantido
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited January 13
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This is relevant to our interests. A VR heavy metal rhythm game where your drumming commands a Viking longboat.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    autothrallBlackDragon480jungleroomxTOGSolid
  • autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited January 13
    Does this mean I need to finally invest in a VR set?

Introduced the 3-year old to Alice Cooper last night, he is in awe of the shock rockness. Today I'm going to pop in the DVD that came with the Deluxe Edition of Thor's Only the Strong. That should be something!

The new Gatecreeper EP ends up being pretty mediocre because these shorter deathgrind tunes don't have much by way of good riffs or interesting ideas, and the longer doomy stuff doesn't entirely make up for it. However, the cover art and production do rule.

autothrall on
    EthelTheFrog
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    This is relevant to our interests. A VR heavy metal rhythm game where your drumming commands a Viking longboat.

I've started playing this daily because A it's a lot of fun and B it's a fantastic workout. The drum patterns are really damn fun too. You're really rewarded for getting into the flow of the song and just kinda moving with it.

wWuzwvJ.png
    EthelTheFrogDissociater
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I've started playing this daily because A it's a lot of fun and B it's a fantastic workout. The drum patterns are really damn fun too. You're really rewarded for getting into the flow of the song and just kinda moving with it.

I would be super into this if there was a version like 'rocksmith' that actually taught you how to play drums. I mean, even as it is, it still looks cool (also I don't know where I'd be able to fit drums lol).

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

I would be super into this if there was a version like 'rocksmith' that actually taught you how to play drums. I mean, even as it is, it still looks cool (also I don't know where I'd be able to fit drums lol).

I gave up on Rocksmith in 2019. Life is requiring me to study other things, and the jumps in difficulty without teaching theory was getting on my nerves. That game needs something, and I don't know what.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited January 15

I gave up on Rocksmith in 2019. Life is requiring me to study other things, and the jumps in difficulty without teaching theory was getting on my nerves. That game needs something, and I don't know what.

Yeah, they basically gave up on developing and updating the core game (which has lead to some compatibility issues with modern OSs/hardware) in favor of just putting out more songs. But as Jim Sterling likes to say, ohhhh Ubisoft.

In more on topic news, here's a fun song I found. It's a couple years old but I didn't know about this group till Youtube's algorithm was like "yo dawg, I saw you liked vikings and metal."

Warning, if you're into historical viking stuff their kit is gonna drive you up a wall but they're just goofing off and having fun so it's fine.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    BlackDragon480
    Rocksmith's last song pack they released was Blackwater Park, Bleak and Ghost of Perdition, so that earned them a tonnnn of forgiveness from me.

BlackDragon480
  • EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Speaking of Vikings, my brother got me a legit drinking horn from this Swedish shop for my birthday a few weeks ago. They have everything. Even a music section where they're selling Wardruna.

The Lindstrand fronted version of The Crown is going to have a new album out this year. First track is out.

autothrall
    The Lindstrand fronted version of The Crown is going to have a new album out this year. First track is out.

Seems all right. I haven't listened to them much beyond Crowned in Terror, which I liked a lot.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Rocksmith's last song pack they released was Blackwater Park, Bleak and Ghost of Perdition, so that earned them a tonnnn of forgiveness from me.

Is it actually good for learning guitar. I'm so off and on with my practice that anything to hook me in would be good. I believe my USB audio input can be used with rocksmith too.

• MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    This Stälker album is fuckin sick.

autothrall
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Iron Bonehead puts out a ton of records every year, but I only apparently like their early year releases and usually they come in 3s (last year was Reaper - Unholy Nordic Noise, Horn - Mohngang, and Jordablod - The Cabinet of Numinous Song). This year, looking forward to:

autothrall
    Campy wrote: »

Is it actually good for learning guitar. I'm so off and on with my practice that anything to hook me in would be good. I believe my USB audio input can be used with rocksmith too.

I'd argue it's the best tool for doing so, but like anything you have to probably be willing to power through the plateaus you'll hit. Having said that, I was already a reasonably decent guitarist before picking it up so I don't have experience with rocksmith as a beginner.

Campy
    New track from Panopticon.

DissociaterVanguard
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx I had a dream of schism, force the rule of nines Registered User regular
    ERRA doing their ERRA thing, tasty guitar licks (tapping while singing!) and good belts from Jesse Cash.

It's chugressive so you probably already know if it's your bag going in.

• EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    So there's a duo of Russian audio engineers (+ torrenters) who are making a legit dent in the loudness war by creating definitive digital versions of classic rock albums. They collect as many first edition sources (usually vinyl) as they can, find the best sounding ones, record them using some pretty high-tech equipment, and then spend months meticulously removing clicks and hiss.

https://wired.co.uk/article/post-soviet-digitisers-create-great-sounding-pirated-digital-prints

I'm listening to their edition of Black Sabbath's Paranoid that they made from an original master tape they somehow got their hands on. They bought a bunch of first-edition vinyl presses for reference and then mastered a new version from the source that they tried to make as similar to the original as possible. It's absolutely bonkers how good it sounds.

FearmeisterKreutzJazzBlackDragon480Gim
  • FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Holy shit, this Kvaen debut is lit af.

autothrall
    Holy shit, this Kvaen debut is lit af.

He's already working on a new one and has been posting about it.

Fearmeister
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hey I've typically been a fan of all music genres but in the last year or so I've really gotten into metal.

I've made a few cigar box guitars, then I came across this fellow.

Does this count?

Arch wrote: »

I never expected this burn from captain bushmeat
    autothrallEthelTheFrogCantidoBlackDragon480Jazz
    edited January 21
    I think it counts, for better or worse!

Can't get into the new Therion at all, I was really hoping they'd go back into something darker but it's just really over the top corny and operatic. Again.

The new Endezzma got my back tho.

autothrall on
    Rob Scallion is a joy.

amateurhourBlackDragon480
    edited January 21
    Only vaguely metal related, but I'm loving the new Steven Wilson solo album. This was an earlier single but pretty much the whole album is good, I enjoy when he's exploring the more dance/pop side.

autothrall on
    BlackDragon480
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Rob Scallion is a joy.

Few people have had the talent or connections to Djent on a therobo.

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
  • VanguardVanguard A wretched country of duskRegistered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    V excited for the new Panopticon

Also looks like they repressed an old Horrendous album - might grab that

Going to have to put them in a mix with Botanist for a plant metal theme.

What do you guys use for managing playlists? I've been putting everything on random which leads to fun like Gamma Ray followed up by Cannibal Corpse.

I'm pretty much an album guy. I rarely make playlists.

FearmeisterAuralynxXantomas
  • GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited January 22
    So there's a duo of Russian audio engineers (+ torrenters) who are making a legit dent in the loudness war by creating definitive digital versions of classic rock albums. They collect as many first edition sources (usually vinyl) as they can, find the best sounding ones, record them using some pretty high-tech equipment, and then spend months meticulously removing clicks and hiss.

https://wired.co.uk/article/post-soviet-digitisers-create-great-sounding-pirated-digital-prints

I'm listening to their edition of Black Sabbath's Paranoid that they made from an original master tape they somehow got their hands on. They bought a bunch of first-edition vinyl presses for reference and then mastered a new version from the source that they tried to make as similar to the original as possible. It's absolutely bonkers how good it sounds.

Their Master of Reality release is a much nicer listen than the remastered vinyl I picked up a few years back; the EQ on that made the drums fairly unpleasant.

Edit: Come to think of it, they did the same thing to Dave Mason's drums on the Pink Floyd The Early Years compilation from a few years back, at least on the Pompeii tracks. In the original the cymbals are kinda buried, but in the remaster they brighten the fuck out of them and it is really lousy.

Gim on
    EthelTheFrog
    Reminder to everyone Harakiri for the Sky's new release Mære is out next week.

BlackDragon480
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    And now, 4 old farts (seriously, LTE's combined age is 244) have fun with math:

First they came for the Muslims and we said...NOT TODAY MOTHERFUCKERS!
    GimKreutz
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I'm pretty much an album guy. I rarely make playlists.

I rarely make playlists for metal, as I feel it's a pretty album-centric genre, but when I want to get fucked up by random chaos, I do have a hardcore/grind/d-beat playlist called Cave Your Face In.

y59kydgzuja4.png
    SteevL