As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Jazzmaster of Puppets

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Has extreme metal finally gone too far?!

Oh, I think it's been gone for a while.

https://youtu.be/ZMpTjB1rI2c

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    autothrall wrote: »
    What.....the.........fuck.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOivXn4L4-c

Christian Metal, or at least playing at something called "Creation Fest."

I mean

That keytar player ain't fucking around tho, gotta give my man props. He's not good but he loves what he does.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I made it 37 seconds into the song.

• Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    Me after looking at this page of the thread

tz1vVp2.gif

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    The Wolf HunterZ are the true face of extreme metal. You're not ready for this! Back in the hedges.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    The new Pyramid Theorem is decent if you like your proggy stuff. The drummer of this band was one of the competitors on the latest season of the BANGER shred-off YouTube competition. Video is weak but hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POMAAxhxssw

autothrall on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The Wolf HunterZ are the true face of extreme metal. You're not ready for this! Back in the hedges.

They've popped up in my algo feed doing reaction videos to Jinjer and Epica, never one of their actual songs.

In other news, UtA's give a fuck continues to be gloriously busted and so they put out stuff like this:

https://youtu.be/8JpOcvvnX_s

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    THAT is what listening to Epica will do to you, kids! I've tried to warn you many times!

There are definitely not enough power metal videos filmed on track courses, though, so the UtA one gets my approval, although I admit much of the song goes right in one ear and out another like a lot of predictable Euro anthemic PM.

I don't know if you guys follow Jake E Lee's stuff but I picked up his two albums with his new band Red Dragon Cartel and I'm thoroughly enjoying them, mainly for his own playing. A lot of bluesy hard rock but there are occasional fun forays into Ozzy-ish metal like this one where he's channeling "Bark at the Moon". Ozzy definitely had quite as streak of picking amazing guitarists back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1zPls_cYc0&fbclid=IwAR2iPU0TwPGhXsL9q8-mSwhyje8Y-yU6ekc_qv9x85xFyBSm-TSckdhZXsA

autothrall on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    THAT is what listening to Epica will do to you, kids! I've tried to warn you many times!

There are definitely not enough power metal videos filmed on track courses, though, so the UtA one gets my approval,(9.
    I don't know if you guys follow Jake E Lee's stuff but I picked up his two albums with his new band Red Dragon Cartel and I'm thoroughly enjoying them, mainly for his own playing. A lot of bluesy hard rock but there are occasional fun forays into Ozzy-ish metal like this one where he's channeling "Bark at the Moon"
    Not bad, little rough around the edges and in the pocket. His front man was channeling Chris Jericho hard, with mixed results, but Jake and his open strings were on display to good effect, I dug the track.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yeah on most of the tracks, the vocalist doesn't sound like that, he was also trying to throw a lot of Ozzy in there himself. He's a lot more straightforward on the newer stuff like this, although it still has a bit of Osbourne, Roth, Hagar, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7n6Be9T7og

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyZwyFWWzw8

autothrall on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Crystal Lake putting out another proggy deathcore sort of thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiezaaxjovk

It's definitely nastier than most of their work

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    More Crystal Lake? Sure why not.

This is a re-release of their extremely poorly recorded older stuff from 2010, if you couldn't tell from the heavy Parkway Drive influences:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIJuygxblSc

Also includes current singer Ryo

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Damn, Finntroll? I dropped them years ago, they're back???

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Damn, Finntroll? I dropped them years ago, they're back???

They are, and I quit dig what I've heard so far. Going back to the quality of the first 3 albums, although they never really fell off that hard.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    SteevL wrote: »

Fuuuck, so young :(

Caught them at Download fest last year. Dude was so pumped to be playing to a huge crowd. Great energy from the whole band all set long.

Edit: Gonna pump the shit out of some Nightmare Logic this afternoon.

Campy on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Fucking hell, man. Power Trip were in their prime. Absolutely gutted.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I found out about it from Fox News, of all places. I was flipping through channels and happened to see one of their useful idiots wearing a Power Trip shirt and talking about the band. 2020 just keeps delivering.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Kreutz wrote: »
    I found out about it from Fox News, of all places. I was flipping through channels and happened to see one of their useful idiots wearing a Power Trip shirt and talking about the band. 2020 just keeps delivering.

I wonder how the putz would feel if he read about Riley's politics...

• Options
    That would be Greg Gutfeld. I guess he's a metal fan. He had Devin Townsend on his Redeye show many years ago. I'm assuming he said nothing about Riley's political stances.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It's possible to like something without everything being about politics. I know it's crazy to some of you, but most people don't find out about a new band, or artist, or author and start researching their political leanings before deciding if they like them or not.

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Yeah, but they should.

• Options
    Apparently Gutfeld and Riley were pals in a "we disagree about politics but agree about metal" sort of way, which would be fine if Gutfeld wasn't a brownshirt with a TV show.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but they should.

I disagree. Politics is arbitrary. It doesn't define most people. You might as well find out if the band prefer cats or dogs before deciding if they're okay to like.

Obviously I'm not talking about bands that make their politics a central part of their art, or are very vocal about their disdain for a particular group or whatever. But finding a band and deciding you can't like them because their singer voted a certain way is, well, an interesting way to live.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, but they should.

I disagree. Politics is arbitrary. It doesn't define most people. You might as well find out if the band prefer cats or dogs before deciding if they're okay to like.

Obviously I'm not talking about bands that make their politics a central part of their art, or are very vocal about their disdain for a particular group or whatever. But finding a band and deciding you can't like them because their singer voted a certain way is, well, an interesting way to live.

Depends.

I refuse to give my money to nazis and white supremacists, I don't see what's so interesting about that.

It's why I've never owned a single Burzum album.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Yeah, but they should.

Depends.

I refuse to give my money to nazis and white supremacists, I don't see what's so interesting about that.

That's literally the kind of exception I mentioned in the sentence before the bolded. I have no problem with that. Where it gets murky, though, is the loose definition of those terms these days.

• Options
    To be clear, I think Gutfeld sucks but I'm certainly not going to stop listening to Power Trip because of who Riley was friends with. It sounds like Gutfeld likes their music and was aware of Riley's politics but just doesn't care. Yeah it sucks to see a full-on crazy bigot wearing a Power Trip shirt on TV but you can't always pick who your fans are.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Yeah, but they should.

Depends.

That's literally the kind of exception I mentioned in the sentence before the bolded. I have no problem with that. Where it gets murky, though, is the loose definition of those terms these days.

I'd argue it's really not an exception of the kind you mooted, because I don't recall any actual Burzum music taking an explicit political stance, certainly in the early albums, despite Varg himself being the absolute poster child. If all you knew of Burzum was the music itself, the only thing that would be a clue would maybe be the cover of Aske.

I mean, unless I'm forgetting something obvious. I haven't put on a Burzum record in years.
    And I admit, the amount of people who'd listen to Burzum and have no clue about Varg's leanings is probably vanishingly small.

Yeah, but they should.

Depends.

I've certainly never bought one, nor played one through a service that could potentially give money, let's put it that way... which I feel pretty justified in.

Jazz on
  • Options
    I actually do look up new bands to see if I'm getting into something I'd rather not.

Peste Noire was another big one I can remember.

• Options
    I just find it strange that we would try and wall off heavy music and politics.

Yes, it's not exactly punk and all of those offshoots that are 100% political and sociopolitical, but metal and politics aren't exactly strangers.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    New Manticora for all you powerprognards. It's alright, nothing too amazing. They did hire on some pigs for this video, so that's something. To Live to Kill to Live is the thematic sequel to To Kill to Live to Kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrpm_xoPyIc

autothrall on
  • Options
    I just find it strange that we would try and wall off heavy music and politics.

Yes, it's not exactly punk and all of those offshoots that are 100% political and sociopolitical, but metal and politics aren't exactly strangers.

I mean, if you feel that you are defined by your politics, then I guess there's nothing wrong with catering your music to that standard. That's your choice. I think it usually extends a little further than that, though, implying no one should invest in them or that they tacitly agree with them if they support their art in any way.

I guess it just bothers me that I see stuff like the Power Trip/Fox News thing above. Like, I absolutely detest CNN, but if I saw Don Lemon wearing an Alcest shirt on the air, it would give me pause and I might reconsider a few things about him. If I ever ran into him, I'd certainly ask him about it. Maybe we'd find some common ground. We're never going to agree on politics, but I talk to people face to face about politics approximately 0.001% of the time anyway. But a Fox News guy is a putz that probably doesn't even know what he's listening to. It doesn't matter that these diametrically apposed dudes found something to bring them together. He's on that side of some cultural debate, so he's the enemy. It's a little depressing, honestly.

• Options
    It's depressing that someone with bigoted views is considered an enemy? I can't agree with you there. The fact that Riley was able to find some common ground with Greg Gutfeld in his personal life is all well and good, that's Riley's business, plus the man is dead now so who even gives a shit. But Greg Gutfeld himself gets no cool points or reconsideration from me just because he's a metalhead. He's still on TV every day saying racist, dangerous things, what kind of music he likes doesn't really mean shit to me.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Some mods out there must be keeping a tally of how many times we've had this exact conversation (with interchangeable bands and/or situations) on these threads.

Not that I'm putting down the merit of having the discussion. It is complicated, and, heck, it's difficult enough to figure out where I, myself, stand on the issue sometimes.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    It's depressing that someone with bigoted views is considered an enemy?

Yep. You can think his views are bigoted, that's your opinion and that's fine, but the fact that that makes him your enemy is a little depressing. I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with your opinion. I haven't listened to him enough to form an opinion, but I have listened to other people that are "bigoted" and say "racist, dangerous things" and I would disagree with that assertion. I've also listened to people that you would probably consider allies and I think that they say racist, dangerous things, but they aren't my enemy, just someone I personally disagree with. If all they want to talk about are the things we disagree about, then yeah, we're not going to really get along, but there are so much more interesting things to talk about.

One of my best friends of the past decade was as far left as any of you. I'm definitely on the right. We didn't agree on anything politically, but we found common ground and pretty much never talked politics.

• Options
    For whatever reason, I haven't gotten into Power Trip the few times I've given them a shot. I'll have to give Nightmare Logic another listen.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    For whatever reason, I haven't gotten into Power Trip the few times I've given them a shot. I'll have to give Nightmare Logic another listen.

I'm not a big fan either. I bought both the studio albums on the cheap, but although I like the caustic production, and Riley's vocals, and they've got a lot of energy live, they are painfully average riff/songwriters at best.

That said, they were definitely a band on the rise, and that with the guy's young age makes it doubly tragic. Vale.

This discussion has been closed.