As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    And then if you goto the sea peoples, you get this kickass image of GigaPharaoh throwing down with them.

Seev%C3%B6lker.jpg

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    egypt defeated the sea peoples twice(or likely what happened was they repulsed a vanguard coalition of a mass migration due to severe climate problems) and were the only Mediterranean civilization that survived the collapse

• Options
    also, the fasces represented strength through unity and also magisterial/legal dominion

the gross shit happened way after various seals and coats of arms had been created

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm just glad that there's no way that a big crisis similar to the one in the bronze age could ever happen again.

• Options
    I'm just glad that there's no way that a big crisis similar to the one in the bronze age could ever happen again.

I assume you're taking the piss here, but not really

civilizations collapse and mass migrations happen, but the level of globalization we currently have, a collapse like that is just not really feasible

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Wait a fava bean is a bean bean?

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    And pairs well with human liver and chianti yes

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    A Chianti wine is any wine produced in the Chianti region of central Tuscany. It was historically associated with a squat bottle enclosed in a straw basket, called a fiasco

Very pleased to know those fat bottles are called 'fiascos'

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    I was mostly taking the piss, yeah.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    so mr bean is ..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Wait a fava bean is a bean bean?

Man, I was really hoping that it was technically a legume.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    so mr bean is ..

actually a berry.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    so mr bean is ..

actually a berry.

a drupe, techincally

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also, the fasces represented strength through unity and also magisterial/legal dominion

the gross shit happened way after various seals and coats of arms had been created

I mean unless we're considering ancient Rome gross shit, of course

• Options
    Fasces is Etruscan

• Options
    Pee is stored in the labrys

• Options
    I don't suggest anyone drink the water from their suits!

It tastes really bad.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    like minotaurs, and string

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Fasces is Etruscan

Which is definitely the place and time everyone associates it with, and not Rome.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    We shouldn't put up with content thieves, even if they all lived and died thousands of years ago.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I am completely on board with resurrecting the Etruscan separatist movement like fuck it, if I'm gonna go out for a cause at least make it a stupid dead one.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I stan Cappadocia.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Hmmm, it's in Turkey, but not the part of Turkey that really caters to tourists that want to get wasted at "Europe's biggest outdoors disco!"... I don't know about that.

How much tequila is in a Cappadocian Tequila Sunrise?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    The word "esquivalience" means "the willful avoidance of one's official responsibilities." It dates from the late nineteenth century, and likely comes from the French esquiver, "to dodge, or slink away."

Except it doesn't. It's not a word. It was included in the New Oxford American Dictionary as a trap word.

In a world before cheat-seeking software, trap words were a way for dictionaries to protect their copyright. If a new dictionary was published, they'd just have to flip to the E section and see if there was an entry for esquivalience. If there was, it was a sign that they should maybe turn it over to their lawyers for a closer look.

Map-makers similarly included "trap streets," nonexistent little alleys and dead ends that wouldn't lead travelers astray on their way to any place that actually existed, but would serve as a beacon for anyone searching for stolen map data.

Kind of bums you out that the best we can come up with these days is software that compromises your kernel for no good reason.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reminds me of how Genius caught Google stealing lyrics straight off their site.
    After suspecting Google was ripping off its transcriptions, the complaint says, Genius placed a digital watermark in its lyrics made up of different styles of apostrophes that spelled out "red-handed" in Morse Code. If Google's lyric boxes contained the watermark, the suit claims, "there would be no explanation other than that the lyrics were copied from Genius's website, e.g., by using the copy/paste functionality or a computer program."

After notifying Google that it had found its watermarks in its lyric boxes, Genius alleges multiple Google executives said they were looking into the issue but would not explain how the watermark showed up in its results. Genius designed a second experiment in 2018 to determine how widespread the issue had become, applying the watermark to a random sample of songs. Of the 271 songs to which Genius applied the watermark and that appeared in Google's info box between October and December of that year, 43% "showed clear evidence of matching" the watermark, according to the complaint.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    The word "esquivalience" means "the willful avoidance of one's official responsibilities." It dates from the late nineteenth century, and likely comes from the French esquiver, "to dodge, or slink away."

Except it doesn't. It's not a word. It was included in the New Oxford American Dictionary as a trap word.

In a world before cheat-seeking software, trap words were a way for dictionaries to protect their copyright. If a new dictionary was published, they'd just have to flip to the E section and see if there was an entry for esquivalience. If there was, it was a sign that they should maybe turn it over to their lawyers for a closer look.

Map-makers similarly included "trap streets," nonexistent little alleys and dead ends that wouldn't lead travelers astray on their way to any place that actually existed, but would serve as a beacon for anyone searching for stolen map data.

Kind of bums you out that the best we can come up with these days is software that compromises your kernel for no good reason.

It becomes more of an issue when people move to imaginary copyright trap towns and actually start the town and name them after the fictitious trap.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Important fact update, some tarantulas keep tiny frogs as pets to eat ants which would otherwise endanger the tarantula's eggs, and everything about that rules.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/tetrapod-zoology/tiny-frogs-and-giant-spiders-best-of-friends/

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Oklahoma statute §63-1-1430 makes it a crime for any person, state, county, or local governmental entity or corporate entity to force you to get a microchip implanted in your body or have any permanent mark placed upon you.

This is not one of those crazy old laws you read about in Ripley's Believe It Or Not, this statute was passed in 2008, and is the first law of its kind in Oklahoma.

"Dang," I hear you say. "Some person or governmental or corporate entity in Oklahoma must have been getting real wild with the microchips if they felt the need to pass that kind of law."

In fact, no. There was not a sudden rash of forced microchipping or tattooing in Oklahoma in 2008. The law was passed because at the time, elected officials were furiously debating whether or not their driver's license was going to become the Mark of the Beast.

[insert elaborate Jon Bois-style title cards, ending up with a swooping zoom on the Oklahoma State Capitol in Google Earth]

Following the terrorist attacks on 9/11, the Bush administration passed the Real ID Act in 2005, requiring states to standardize security features on driver's licenses and state IDs to make it harder to pass fake IDs across state lines. Oklahoma was one of the states that fought back the hardest. A good deal of the resistance was just old fashioned "gummint got no right" contrarianism, but the real fuel in the boiler was the fact that Real ID-compliant cards had to include an RFID tag. And enough Oklahomans believe that the actual physical Rapture is going to occur in their lifetimes and that RFID tags are the Mark of the Beast that they represent a powerful voting bloc within the state.

Oklahoma eventually succumbed to the rank heresy of the Real ID act, to the extent that DHS will actually start enforcing it for Oklahomans starting in May 2023, just in time for the act itself to be old enough to vote.

Meanwhile, I hope the rest of you suckers have fun riding out the Tribulation. I have the comfort of knowing that if the Antichrist tries to brand me with the mark of the beast, they will be slapped with a fine not to exceed $10,000 courtesy of the Oklahoma Department of Health. Suck it, Satan, Oklahoma wins this round.

Hang on, my vaccine arm is ringing, I have to take this.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    E9Gz5ptUUAQWIN8.png

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Honestly you gotta respect the hell out of that.

• Options
    THE-BRITISH-ARMY-IN-THE-UNITED-KINGDOM-1939-45-H-18957-Men-of-No-4-Commando-after-returning-from-a-r.jpg

No. 4 Commando before Dieppe and tell you what very intetesting footwear what are these characters wearing those arent old nasty hobnail army boots whatre those I want some

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I’m looking into that and I think they are all wearing different types of civilian shoes, possibly whichever they individually liked that made less noise? I’ll keep looking into it. There are definitely several types there.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    obviously they're wearing sneakers

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Get Off The Earth (a famous & bamboozling problem) - Numberphile 10:40
    https://youtu.be/cE44nr4d3iY

Not sure which thread to put this one in but this is a fun one

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I’m more of a crumble than a collapse stan tbh

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    So I’m looking into that and I think they are all wearing different types of civilian shoes, possibly whichever they individually liked that made less noise? I’ll keep looking into it. There are definitely several types there.

But all quite similar though eh? Like clearly not off a factory line but like maybe the same cordwainer?

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    I’m more of a crumble than a collapse stan tbh

"What are ya havin' dear"

'Oh, I'll have an apple collapse with some ice cream and a coffee.'

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Get Off The Earth (a famous & bamboozling problem) - Numberphile 10:40
    https://youtu.be/cE44nr4d3iY

Not sure which thread to put this one in but this is a fun one

It's very frustrating they dodged the boy at 5 when talking about heads since his head turns into a butt.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

in the roman republic and empire it was the prime symbol of government authority - imperium

the two consuls who were elected to lead rome "held fasces" alternating months - meaning they switched between who was the head of state each month

and it was symbolically carried before all kinds of government magistrates

basically the fasces is all over US seals for the same reason the white house has pillars, classicalism was in. And it's a good symbol of government authority that isn't monarchist in nature.

fascism didn't take it from the same place - it came about more in the sense that a bundle of sticks represents strength through unity, which in italy became a common term for various political groups/coalitions, or for calls for different political groups working together. A few of which became the Italian Fascist Party. The symbolism attached came later.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    The giant panda is not a real panda, it is named after its vague resemblance to the red panda, but they are very unrelated.

BahamutZERO.gif