As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Justice of the [Chat]

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    have you considered that the slow pace of the reading and the silence between the words is part of the artistry of the work you fast-living, brain-frazzled, internet-poisoned

wandering on
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    my lens that "shipped" but never got picked up on monday has magically appeared at a carrier facility mere miles from me this evening

so now it appears i'll get the lens before i get the camera

obsessively watching the tracking page has been a roller coaster of emotions. thrill a minute. highly recommended

probably the most exciting thing i've done in the last few weeks since i last had any human contact

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I'm actually a little upset with how fast I read, and I realized when I was playing Disco Elysium I was having a hard time not just skipping over vast tracks of it rather than trying to slow down and absorb the atmosphere. Sometimes when reading I seriously just hit like every sixth word.

That's the book's fault for using shit words, tbh

Good prose will force you to slow down to both apprehend and appreciate it

"The throbbing rivuleted abroad the glistening skein of starlit metriculous handfasting."

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Elldren wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Narrative have been making ongoing efforts to identify areas where they can tweak or add dialogue to improve the gameplay experience, they provided details and backstory for several companies and brands used across various environments to expand world-building. Narrative also coordinated with Audio to review progress on the Vanduul voices.

“Since they are recorded by all too Human actors, there is considerable artistry that goes into creating their unique alien sound.” – The Narrative Team

Work also continued on hair, with blonde hair making progress. They also revisited the ‘bun’ style, which appears on a large number of female characters.

They have a dynamic auto lighting rig for when characters are moving around between areas, so they can make them look good even when not in any specific location.

Like what the fuck is their workflow like? because that seems like not much happening

well, they take the 300 million dollars that they raised outside of the regulatory scheme of securities law

and then they just rail a dr rockso line of cocaine and then we're off to the races

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i read at speaking pace and anyone who reads faster than i do is a psychopath

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    i read at speaking pace and anyone who reads faster than i do is a psychopath

I'm also possibly a sociopath, but I'm a great actor.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Elldren wrote: »
    Narrative have been making ongoing efforts to identify areas where they can tweak or add dialogue to improve the gameplay experience, they provided details and backstory for several companies and brands used across various environments to expand world-building. Narrative also coordinated with Audio to review progress on the Vanduul voices.

“Since they are recorded by all too Human actors, there is considerable artistry that goes into creating their unique alien sound.” – The Narrative Team

Work also continued on hair, with blonde hair making progress. They also revisited the ‘bun’ style, which appears on a large number of female characters.

They have a dynamic auto lighting rig for when characters are moving around between areas, so they can make them look good even when not in any specific location.

Like what the fuck is their workflow like? because that seems like not much happening
    Well, here is the current state of the bartending tech they have been working for at least three years:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/JoyousParallelGilamonster-mobile.mp4

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/gwec63/the_history_of_bartender_ai/
    Everytime I read the monthly report I feel like CIG make it seem like Bartender AI is almost done. I have never seen a game company spend so much time on such a thing so I thought it would be neat to look up the development history:

September 2017: "We now have both female and male bartenders working in various parts of the levels"

October 2017 to February 2018 (Nothing was mentioned)

March 2018: " Finally, the Facial Animation Team was busy finalizing animations on various PU shopkeepers, bartenders"

April 2018: "kicked off R&D on the bartender and bartending functionality"

May 2018: "The team is also building out the Bartender character" "research was done on the Bartender’s animations to bring as much life to this NPC as possible"

June 2018: "the team worked with design on further defining NPC behaviors like bartenders," "Work also progressed nicely on ensuring that bars in future releases feature a well-crafted and intelligent bartender"

July 2018:"mission givers and fleshed out the Bartender" "Design Team further experimented with how to make a bar feel like a living breathing environment, instead of static NPCs serving and consuming drinks. The intent was to give the bartender and others enough character, life, and flexibility so that they can deal with multiple patrons at once, including the player, while looking as lively and realistic as possible. They also began building out the AI logic in Subsumption, started rounds of feedback with Tony Zurovec, and worked with the Narrative Team to get lines written for the Bartender and Bar Patron characters. " "Placeholder block-out animations were sent to the ATX Design Team for the Bartender character"

August 2018: "The team is working closely with Design on the Bartender to help flesh out the flow – soon players will be able to walk up and order tasty drinks from a believable barkeep"

September 2018: " The Facial Team developed animations for the bartender" "The home stretch is in sight for believable bartenders" "polishing their everyday behaviors, including cleaning glasses, carrying drinks to tables, and telling the player they’re busy when in the middle of an action."

November 2018: "Work also continued on the bartender for Lorville." "The team is actively working on upcoming mission-givers, including Klim, along with ship dealers, bar patrons, and bartenders."

There are more mentioned times beyond this time but the post can only be so large.

So how did we get from "We now have both female and male bartenders working in various parts of the levels" in September 2017 to May 2020:: The Social AI Team wrapped up the first iteration of the bartender. ?

Couscous on
  • Options
    im watching richard ayoade's travel show because it's on hulu and also because i love him

he just referred to himself as "a michael palin without the humanity, talent, or likability"

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Eventually we'll only read books in condensed txt spch tht ds wy wth spris lttrs

• Options
    Some years back, when I was a game tester and attending PAX, there was some sci-fi space game booth that was advertising that they were looking for game QA. Being interested in trying out the indie scene, I asked them how much they paid, and they said they were looking for FREE work. And so I laughed and didn't even bother to remember what game it was afterward.

• Options
    Eventually we'll only read books in condensed txt spch tht ds wy wth spris lttrs

this just looks like welsh

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I miss the actual "Somewhere in America" segments from American Gods Season 1 in season 2...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Some cult researcher should do a book on Star Citizenn
    I didn't back the game because I knew I would have a space shooter to play in 5 years. I backed the game because I knew this was the only possible way we would get the kind of mechanics I want to see. That seamless and full simulation of environment inside and outside your space ship, in which you are a person existing in a fully simulated universe, as opposed to being a camera that clicks on a bunch of menus. Seriously, that's what most of the "game loops" you compare this game to boil down to, flying between A-Z, never leaving your chair, and clicking on menu item after menu item. That experience is dead ass boring, I'm sorry. I don't want it. But when I get an itch for it, there are plenty of risers to that challenge.

What I want is what CIG is making. I don't care about how long it takes, in fact, I hope they take as long as they need to to make this, because if they don't, nobody else will. There are too many impatient vampire investors and self-important CTOs out there who think entirely according to schedules and business cycles. This is one of the few opportunities we have to invest in a development where it is truly the game that comes first. Not as a secondary concern to profit extraction. Not as an attachment to a release date.

Get mad about trailers being delayed. Get mad about estimates not being deadlines. Maybe go play all those other games that are more than happy to stay inside the realm of the already possible? What is it you really want, here? Scream against the wind! The funding model exists to be free of demands like yours.

Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. Kahless replied, "The wind does not respect a fool".
    The way I see it, we all pledged money to see the best damn space game EVER. The game we all envisioned had EVERYTHING we could ever want plus what all the things I could ever want plus all the things everyone else could ever want. Multiple star systems with different atmospheres, gravities and each ship with their own unique handling combined with a first person shooter, and an MMO and a single player campaign.....you get the idea.

And you think this will be done in 10 years? 15 years? lol

We pledged our money not for a game, but THE BEST game. We asked for and bought into the Idea of this game having EVERYTHING we could ALL ever ask for.

so when i hear complaints about game development speed, all I hear, are people who want another $60 dollar game that can be completed in $60 worth of time. This is a 300 million dollar game, and as such, will take another 300 milllion hours worth of development time. And yea, its still getting pledges.

so if you want to stop pledging the idea, please do. Make your statement with your wallet and go to r/starcitizen_refunds

but last i checked, this subreddit is for us, The people that pledged to the grand idea that is star citizen.

Feel free to say "I told you so" when they stop developing and haven't released anything, But until then, stop being drama queens.

Couscous on
  • Options
    I really need to give myself some time to read some good fantasy writing soon. I think it's been long enough since I've read any fiction that I've lost the writing patterns. Also working with ESL and/or tech folks all the time does a number on your English after a few years.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    tumblr_pd8w83bHQe1sjap36o1_500.jpg
    I hadn't heard of this myself. Though, I'm also not someone who really knows stuff about musicians.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

@wafflesmagee and me are gonna play some Grounded, the honey I shrunk the kids survival game. It seems neat!

twitch.tv/sniperguygaming
    beacons:

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Some cult researcher should do a book on Star Citizenn
    I didn't back the game because I knew I would have a space shooter to play in 5 years. I backed the game because I knew this was the only possible way we would get the kind of mechanics I want to see. That seamless and full simulation of environment inside and outside your space ship, in which you are a person existing in a fully simulated universe, as opposed to being a camera that clicks on a bunch of menus. Seriously, that's what most of the "game loops" you compare this game to boil down to, flying between A-Z, never leaving your chair, and clicking on menu item after menu item. That experience is dead ass boring, I'm sorry. I don't want it. But when I get an itch for it, there are plenty of risers to that challenge.

What I want is what CIG is making. I don't care about how long it takes, in fact, I hope they take as long as they need to to make this, because if they don't, nobody else will. There are too many impatient vampire investors and self-important CTOs out there who think entirely according to schedules and business cycles. This is one of the few opportunities we have to invest in a development where it is truly the game that comes first. Not as a secondary concern to profit extraction. Not as an attachment to a release date.

Get mad about trailers being delayed. Get mad about estimates not being deadlines. Maybe go play all those other games that are more than happy to stay inside the realm of the already possible? What is it you really want, here? Scream against the wind! The funding model exists to be free of demands like yours.

Long ago, a storm was heading for the city of Quin'lat. Everyone took protection within the walls except one man who remained outside. Kahless went to him and asked what he was doing. "I am not afraid," the man said. "I will not hide my face behind stone and mortar. I will stand before the wind and make it respect me." Kahless honored his choice and went back inside. The next day, the storm came, and the man was killed. Kahless replied, "The wind does not respect a fool".
    The way I see it, we all pledged money to see the best damn space game EVER. The game we all envisioned had EVERYTHING we could ever want plus what all the things I could ever want plus all the things everyone else could ever want. Multiple star systems with different atmospheres, gravities and each ship with their own unique handling combined with a first person shooter, and an MMO and a single player campaign.....you get the idea.

And you think this will be done in 10 years? 15 years? lol

We pledged our money not for a game, but THE BEST game. We asked for and bought into the Idea of this game having EVERYTHING we could ALL ever ask for.

so when i hear complaints about game development speed, all I hear, are people who want another $60 dollar game that can be completed in $60 worth of time. This is a 300 million dollar game, and as such, will take another 300 milllion hours worth of development time. And yea, its still getting pledges.

so if you want to stop pledging the idea, please do. Make your statement with your wallet and go to r/starcitizen_refunds

but last i checked, this subreddit is for us, The people that pledged to the grand idea that is star citizen.

Feel free to say "I told you so" when they stop developing and haven't released anything, But until then, stop being drama queens.

I find this oddly beautiful

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Kids today think Kanye is hard because he refuses to take his meds.

Snoop performed “Murder Was the Case” at the VMAs while on the run from the LAPD for a murder charge he was later acquitted of.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    tumblr_pd8w83bHQe1sjap36o1_500.jpg
    I hadn't heard of this myself. Though, I'm also not someone who really knows stuff about musicians.

It's just a weird thing to compare, given mobsters being associated with food obsessions.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I mean, i suppose changing isn't out of the question for anyone. Snoop can be both a suspected murderer (I'm too lazy to check what happened) and a wholesome person in one lifetime.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Audiofilm

• Options
    I mean, i suppose changing isn't out of the question for anyone. Snoop can be both a suspected murderer (I'm too lazy to check what happened) and a wholesome person in one lifetime.

What might surprise us all is how little separates a murderer and a "wholesome person"

• Options

What might surprise us all is how little separates a murderer and a "wholesome person"

usually just doing a murder

• Options
    In today’s global economy, aren’t we all murderers? :ar:

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I am of the opinion that you can absolutely be both

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I don't know why you'd use yaoi butts to advertise gardening but

where do you think that fertilizer is coming from?

• Options

i use cow manure and i'm a farmer but i just start taking dumps on my lawn and somehow i'm a sex offender

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

i use cow manure and i'm a farmer but i just start taking dumps on my lawn and somehow i'm a sex offender

698560.jpg?b64lines=IE1BWUJFIElUIE5FRURTIE1PUkUKIEZFUlRJTElaRVIuIApJJ00gT05MWSBPTkUgTUFOLCBNQVJHRS4g

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So Othercide came out of fucking nowhere as an XCom Roguelike with a bit of style.

dymdbdysqh9m.png

• Options
    So Othercide came out of fucking nowhere as an XCom Roguelike with a bit of style.

dymdbdysqh9m.png

Okay so I like this and would like to learn more

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

dymdbdysqh9m.png

@Winky https://store.steampowered.com/app/798490/Othercide/

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hmm oxygen not included is fun

It’s a very tight outward spiral of complexity, food and oxygen are “solved” but create problems in water and heat

Solving those will create problems of sprawl and inefficiency

Also a dupe destroyed my base by accidentally puncturing my water silo and flooded several levels so I save scummed

Ironman this game would be hard!

I'm on like cycle 20 and my research has far outpaced the tech level of my actual base

I keep reading things also about geysers and I'm like whoa am I supposed to actually be digging and exploring or something

I haven't even replaced my outhouses with indoor plumbing although that's my next project

those poor dupes

...what day should you have toilets by :(

there's a lot of different things I could be doing in the game so I get a bit stuck and just dig around

I made a hydroponic lice farm, surely that counts for something

actually I really need a meal source that isn't horrifyingly disgusting so perhaps I should actually read the different options on the grill and see how hard it would be to farm them

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited July 2020

dymdbdysqh9m.png

Winky https://store.steampowered.com/app/798490/Othercide/

It's on Switch too

I feel never have I been so utterly blindsided by something that I would be so clearly interested in

Winky on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    That artwork has me sold but I so rarely actually sit and play tactics games.

Neco on
  • Options
    My albino action anime daughters fight bloodborne monsters in isometric 3d strategy game with painterly trichrome style okay

• Options
    But what the hell: I’m now accepting donations to buy that game. My venmo is

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Apparently to heal your squad you have to sacrifice other squad members

I'm sold

• Options
    Apparently to heal your squad you have to sacrifice other squad members

I'm sold

Ok I hate it

This discussion has been closed.