As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]-vember. Time to stuff yourself full...of games.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Heroth wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    • I have taken down an orb weaver, but not the dreaded wolf spider.

I'm out.

I mean, I should have known there'd be giant arachnids, but that is just 100000% fuck that for me. Hell, the medium large spiders and scorpions in ARK already give me the shivers.

The Dev's have you covered!

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/16/21293521/grounded-arachnophobia-mode-slider-screenshots

Edit: Curses! whyyyy does PA forums do this to me? i *refreshed* the page, no posts, i *post* and there are posts! anyway, a Link for Kal to show what Pixie said.

Four legged spiders actually sound freakier to me than 8 legged ones.

Four visible legs, four invisible legs. The more you move the slider, the less of the spider you can see ... but it is still there, just parts of it are invisible. Sounds great.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

I'm out.

I mean, I should have known there'd be giant arachnids, but that is just 100000% fuck that for me. Hell, the medium large spiders and scorpions in ARK already give me the shivers.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/16/21293521/grounded-arachnophobia-mode-slider-screenshots

Edit: Curses! whyyyy does PA forums do this to me? i *refreshed* the page, no posts, i *post* and there are posts! anyway, a Link for Kal to show what Pixie said.

My arachnophobic kid said the same thing.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

I'm out.

Four visible legs, four invisible legs. The more you move the slider, the less of the spider you can see ... but it is still there, just parts of it are invisible. Sounds great.

More like "Now that it doesn't have all the legs a spider is suppose to have, I'm getting Uncanny Valley vibes on top of any general queasyness with spiders in general."

Note that I'm not an arachnaphobe. I mean, holding a tarantula would be a polite "no thank you," but I'm not freaking out when I see one within arm's reach either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Ugh.

I swear Tales games almost try to discourage you from learning new characters and their fighting styles. Really wish Berseria had a training room with dummies or something.

Just wailing on random encounters isn't the right way to go about it.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    When someone slides the arachnophobia setting all the way up, they should just change them to an angry faced balloon character or something. Just make it NOT a spider, at all.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    That's basically what happens and... Spiders don't bother me but this gives me vague terrors i can't identify.
    4sftu8qkfw7j.png

This game really wants me to buy it but im getting maybe one mission a day in Battletech so it will have to wait.

Hevach on
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    I'm playing Grounded through the Xbox Game Pass for PC. It has 'cross play' between it, XBoxen, and Steam too. The trial for it is cheap or free, too. Anyway, I got eaten by ants my first save and it seemed like their ant aggro carried over to my new life so I decided to restart. Which was good, cuz it was only then that I discovered I had to Analyze things to get new recipes. Game should tie me over until Horizon Zero Dawn comes out next Friday.

Does nobody ever actually read tutorial messages? :lol:

My kid was playing this last night and afterwards, we were talking and he says "it took me forever to realize I had to get water from dew drops" and I just... like.... it was one of the first things the game tells you to do!

I didn't see it either times I played, so I'm more willing to say that it just didn't pop up for me. It went from 'go to this mark' (the computer tent) then I moved on and it was 'investigate the satellite thinger' I don't think I picked anything up my first time before getting to the computer, so I remember thinking "oh, I wonder what it means by 'next analysis time'" and then completely forgot about it (when looking at items that said 'unanlyzed') when the tutorial messages moved on to drink water and "wait, actually, pure water will probably be better." I enjoy just wandering around though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    That's basically what happens and... Spiders don't bother me but this gives me vague terrors i can't identify.
    4sftu8qkfw7j.png

This game really wants me to buy it but im getting maybe one mission a day in Battletech so it will have to wait.

Oh wait - that's a spider. I admit, I didn't mess with the setting much myself. I seriously thought that screenshot was liquid falling. I should get more coffee.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Spider Slider is an amazing feature for a game to have. What a world! :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    When someone slides the arachnophobia setting all the way up, they should just change them to an angry faced balloon character or something. Just make it NOT a spider, at all.
    Make it a T posing human mannequin that just slides around and says "rawr! I'm a spider!"
    Iolo wrote: »
    Spider Slider is an amazing feature for a game to have. What a world! :)
    We need a slider that removes scary shit from games like Subnautica and Ecco now.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    But then it's an invisible spider.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Edit: Sorry, no self promo, my bad.

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Edit: Sorry, no self promo, my bad.

I don't know what that was, but I'm gonna Awesome it anyway.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    People who put a lot of time into Othercide should let us know if the game tapers off or gets very reptitive/monotonous. That's my major concern. You'll be repeating missions with very few changes and no additional plot to just prep for a boss you will fight in several hours.

This far, the progression has definitely been odd. Basically, you lose, die, and restart, or choose to restart at any time. You earn currency to activate what basically acts as a New Game Plus modifiers, and you spend those when you restart, for things get stronger, modifiers, etc. However, one of the major modifiers you unlock with the bosses, so far, has been a modifier to immediately skip the era that boss represents - so, for example, I completed the first boss, and now when I restart, I'm on to the second boss countdown immediately. Additionally, your units that have died are persistent, and you unlock tokens to resurrect units.

Basically, it hasn't yet, but I am still relatively early.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular

That. The slider is an extremely cool idea but turning the mob into a couple amorphous blobs doesn't quite work for me. It's too easy to miss or not understand what you're seeing. I like the idea of the slider turning the the mob into something cartoony and less threatening though. A balloon spider with a silly face would work.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Satisfactory will always have the best Arachnophobia mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6bxL50-Gk
    Low quality 2D jpgs of lolcats that are somehow even more terrifying

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    This was a rough night. I was eaten by more spiders and beetles than I care to remember. I even died by falling out of a berry bush once (I thought I had a dandelion tuft glider equipped, but I guess I didn't).

But, still fun!

You can make leather out of berry skins. And then make purple leather chairs for your base. :lol:

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I'm not sure pictures of cats help when you're still running for your life and hearing the sound of 24 skittering legs rushing up on you from behind.

I'm not an arachnophobe, but when I think of creepy crawlies, I'm surprised how often spiders feature instead of truly horrible things like centipedes. 8 legs is nothing!

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Poketpixie wrote: »

That. The slider is an extremely cool idea but turning the mob into a couple amorphous blobs doesn't quite work for me. It's too easy to miss or not understand what you're seeing. I like the idea of the slider turning the the mob into something cartoony and less threatening though. A balloon spider with a silly face would work.

"Based on user feedback, we've revised the Spider Slider with more options. If spiders are too unsettling for you and our previous options didn't work for you, you can now choose from:
    Clowns
    Snakes
    Public bathrooms
    Spiders with clown heads
    Clowns with spider bodies
    Rejection
    The fear of disappointing your family
    A bunch of spiders in a trench coat
    Large amounts of debt
    The fear of disappointing your family and discovering they're actually spiders
    That dream you have every few months where you're suddenly back in school and struggling to pass even though you graduated over a decade ago"

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Poketpixie wrote: »

it's not quite JUST amorphous blobs. Here's a screenshot of another type of spider closer up.

O78y1j9.jpg

It's kinda cute actually.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I think it's not just amorphous blobs, it's specifically the head and thorax of the spider model. I would assume those are the parts that make up the spider's hitbox, and are enough to tell what direction the spider is facing. And, of course, it doesn't require the creation of new assets.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    very simplified polygons of the model yes. It still gives you a couple eyes so you can see which way it's facing. The only real problem could be if the legs have hitboxes. But I imagine they dont really, or at least most of the attacks would be done by the mouth.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Devs: "We heard you don't like spiders so we gave you SIX different ways to make them less threatening!"
    Internet: "Not good enough!"

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Devs: "We heard you don't like spiders so we gave you SIX different ways to make them less threatening!"

At this point it's basically onions. Tons of people say they don't like onions but if the onions are cooked and not readily visible they'll eat until they say, "This is good, what's in it?" And you say, "Onions!" and now they don't like it because they know the onions are there now.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »

At this point it's basically onions. Tons of people say they don't like onions but if the onions are cooked and not readily visible they'll eat until they say, "This is good, what's in it?" And you say, "Onions!" and now they don't like it because they know the onions are there now.

I see you've met my kids.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I'm not sure pictures of cats help when you're still running for your life and hearing the sound of 24 skittering legs rushing up on you from behind.

I'm not an arachnophobe, but when I think of creepy crawlies, I'm surprised how often spiders feature instead of truly horrible things like centipedes. 8 legs is nothing!

Some millipedes have a defensive spray that contains hydrochloric acid. And a thousand legs!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    To be fair as someone who hates onions I hate the texture of the onions rather than the flavor. I love the flavor of onions, I hate the texture - I won't eat them unless they're either finely powdered or boiled down to the point of irrelevance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love the flavor of spiders, I hate the texture.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    To be fair as someone who hates onions I hate the texture of the onions rather than the flavor. I love the flavor of onions, I hate the texture - I won't eat them unless they're either finely powdered or boiled down to the point of irrelevance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I love the flavor of spiders, I hate the texture.

Crunchy, crunchy spiders.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Spiders: crunchy.

• Options
    QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    wait, people don't like ONIONS? I don't want to live in a world where this is the case.....!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Questor wrote: »
    wait, people don't like ONIONS? I don't want to live in a world where this is the case.....!

Some people don't like peas, either.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

A lot of people who don't like a vegetable have usually had them undercooked or with a poorly chosen cooking method. I didn't get why other kids didn't like broccoli growing up until I much later in life I learned many of their parents probably had boiled or steamed it.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

A lot of people who don't like a vegetable have usually had them undercooked or with a poorly chosen cooking method. I didn't get why other kids didn't like broccoli growing up until I much later in life I learned many of their parents probably had boiled or steamed it.

Wait wait wait, are we pretending that steamed broccoli is bad now? Steamed vegetables are great!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

Roasted Broccoli is the way and the light.

Boiled is a war-crime.

Steamed is ok, just don't overcook it. Hard to get good seasoning with steaming though, just roast it.

I should start Grounded or finish Carrion, but instead I started up a singleplayer modded minecraft world yesterday. I'm bad at playing my backlog.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Roasted Broccoli is the way and the light.

Boiled is a war-crime.

Steamed is ok, just don't overcook it. Hard to get good seasoning with steaming though, just roast it.

I should start Grounded or finish Carrion, but instead I started up a singleplayer modded minecraft world yesterday. I'm bad at playing my backlog.

Charcoal-grilled vegetables are awesome.

A grilled onion with some salt and lemon is delicious.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Throwing my vote in for grilling vegetables

I love to cut the bell pepper in half, throw a bit of garlic on the inside and then grill that sucker.

Never done broccoli though, I'll give that a go.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I hate the way broccoli breaks apart in my mouth and trying to force that texture down is asking for my gag reflex

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I hate the way broccoli breaks apart in my mouth and trying to force that texture down is asking for my gag reflex

Just pretend you’re a dinosaur eating a tree.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Wait wait wait, are we pretending that steamed broccoli is bad now? Steamed vegetables are great!

Wait until the asshole forcing you to eat it won't let you put anything on it like butter or cheese or something.

And any vegetable high in iron tastes like dirt no matter how you cook it.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

Just pretend you’re a dinosaur eating a tree.

*hork hork hork hork*

This discussion has been closed.