As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My favourite international airport was Stockholm. It was so calm and quiet when I landed I thought "Oh no, is it closed? Do airports close?"

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2020
    They do! I once got kicked out of paderborn airport because my flight was late so I missed the last bus connection.

Edit: it was snowing, too

tynic on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I see Athens Airport is now 24 hours, but it wasn't the last time I was there. We had an early flight and had to time the connection with a ferry, so we ended up arriving at the airport in the middle of the night. There were like three other people there, just sitting outside the main entrance waiting for it to open, but everyone was sitting to the left of the doors and we didn't know why until we sat down to the right and an actual tank rolled up and told us the right side was off-limits.

I mean, technically a person inside the tank told us, but that's a tough distinction to make at 2 AM.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    They do! I once got kicked out of paderborn airport because my flight was late so I missed the last bus connection.

uphill both ways I imagine as well

Can't sit to the right, that's the tank rank.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That seems like a very strict and specific demarcation of allowed/forbidden zones

Solar wrote: »

That particular combination of snow and hills did give rise to one of the most surreal experiences of my time in Germany.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    "We've told people, we've put up signs, I don't know what else to do!"

"OK... I know a guy..."

euj90n71sojo.png

That particular combination of snow and hills did give rise to one of the most surreal experiences of my time in Germany.

Well go on then tell us about it

edited August 2020

Well go on then tell us about it

I caught the first bus out the next morning, around 6am. This was late October and the snow was extremely unseasonal, so nobody had put down sand or salt, and the ploughs weren't on standby. Anyway my bus with three people on it came down a tiny windy road into a valley, started to drive back up the other side, hit a patch of ice, swerved into a bank of unploughed snow, and became completely stuck, diagonally blocking the road.

The bus driver immediately got on the comms but I guess everyone had been caught off guard by the weather and nobody knew what to do. Should they send another bus? An emergency vehicle? Should we all get out and walk to the nearest village? No decision could be reached. The bus driver turned off the heating to conserve power and opened the doors to ... Make everyone colder? Unclear. We sat there for two hours. But in the meantime, nobody had thought to reroute or reschedule the other buses running the same route. So after forty minutes, a bus turned up behind us, couldn't pass, couldn't turn around and ... Got stuck. Another bus came from the other direction, hit the same patch of ice, and skidded into a snow bank and also got stuck. At this point this narrow country road was basically a bus parking lot.
    Finally around 8am there was some action - people from the local village started to turn up. Lots of men with moustaches stood around and discussed the problem, I started to think maybe someone would have a tractor or something we could use to haul one of the buses out of the snow ... Then a fucking enormous man appeared out of the trees. In my memory he was Andre the giant sized, in reality he was probably not more than 6'8" but he was a HUGE slab of meat. He was wearing a set of red overalls and snow boots, but nothing else. Chest hair out the wazoo. Everyone laughed and clapped. I watched, mesmerized, as he came closer to the bus. No idea what I was seeing. Was he going to harness himself to it and haul us out with his superhuman muscles?

No, instead he got right up to us and - started throwing snowballs at the windows.

Eventually they sent a rescue bus to sit at the top of the hill and we all walked up to it and got out of there.
    There are some weird villages in the German mountains.

tynic on
    That story did not disappoint at all

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I always wondered where my clan of giant German weirdos came from. I hope you enjoyed your time in Jedocstadt.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    please, please! i'm not prometheus, there's only so much of my liver to go around

This is an excellent joke and more of you need to be ashamed for not appreciating it properly.

@Darth Waiter i am

so happy

someone acknowledged this extremely esoteric joke

and i'm double happy it was a verified Cool Guy like you

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Places I haven't visited that I'd like to:
    • Alaska, to hit state number 50
    • Guam. No particular reason why, I've just kinda always wanted to?
    • Mongolia. I knew a guy who ran a rafting company there (might still? Not sure), and missed out on an opportunity to be the first people to whitewater raft a river, ever (they've kayaked it). My dad and I were the only people who signed up, which made it too expensive on a per-person basis so we had to cancel the trip.
    • Madagascar. Once more no particular reason, I've just kinda always wanted to?
    • Patagonia area of South America
    • The usual touristy bits of Europe which I haven't been to yet (Italy, France, Spain, etc), but particularly Slovenia.

I've been fortunate enough to be relatively well-traveled, though.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    please, please! i'm not prometheus, there's only so much of my liver to go around

This is an excellent joke and more of you need to be ashamed for not appreciating it properly.

@Darth Waiter i am

so happy

Prometheus’ punishment is esoteric now?

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

@Darth Waiter i am

so happy

Prometheus’ punishment is esoteric now?

almost certainly

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I got my first hours clocked in at my job today. Still doing the computer based training, so it's boring, but I'm also grateful at how thorough it is. I haven't seen computer based training for a job this thorough and helpful since 2003 literally, and 2000 since that time I had a summer job at Jack in the Box. Even working in similar fields, in the last 20 years proper training became a lost fucking art.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    If I never have to fly into Philly again I'll be a happy camper.

However designed that airport can just go get lit on fire.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My one criteria for flying is that the seat be designed for someone larger than Bruce Lee. I'm 6'4" and ever since the mid 90s it seems like they've been cutting out legroom from planes every damn year. So now I either fly first class/business or I don't fly, because it's not worth an entire day in bed unable to move once I land.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    One of the worst plane experiences I've ever had was flying into O'Hare in February. Everyone, and I do mean everyone, on that flight had an oversized jacket stuck in the overhead and they all had to put it on before they grabbed their crap and got off. I was stuck 3rd row from the back and it took so long I missed my connection and had to overnight there.

It ended up turning out alright though. A buddy I'd just been TAD with had grown up in Chicago so his parents came and picked me up and let me stay in the guest room. Got some excellent deep dish and beers out of the deal and ended up sleeping in a bed instead of on a red eye so it could have worked out worse.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Bad news, car declared a total loss from the 4th of July wreck. Worse news, my mother is going to internalize her accident as her being an old hag with shitty response times rather than little brother distracting her from the road with his cell phone.

Speaking of which, time to badger him for a large some of money for the down payment.

What is a good hybrid these days?

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Generally I am a really big fan of Porter Airlines, they have great service and free beer/good snacks you get to choose from that I have actually bought on land, and they have a cute raccoon mascot named Mr. Porter (which is key)

But in the last year I had some BUMPY landings with them coming into Ottawa or Toronto-Billy Bishop - they tend to fly Q400s or DASH-8s since they're a commuter airline, and both planes are tiny and a lot more subject to rough weather

One winter flight into Ottawa we hit a patch of turbulence so bumpy that the flight attendants slammed into the wall/floor; my last landing at Billy Bishop in February included an almost-landing and then having to circle around on account of winds from a storm which got me pretty damn nervous as someone with an airplane phobia (which I have managed to beat into simple boredom on a normal flight, but comes out when the slightest drops happen)

Planes! Don't like 'em!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Best flight experience no doubt is air Caledonia. It's only like a three hour flight, but they fed us, had a "kid's entertainment pack" for Ellie, even though she was only 11 months at the time. Accommodating to mom's medical needs. Just delightful.

Also got to have the old fashioned experience of actually getting off the plane in the tarmac and walking to customs.

Definitely can't wait to go back again.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    My favourite international airport was Stockholm. It was so calm and quiet when I landed I thought "Oh no, is it closed? Do airports close?"

Hmm I dunno...

Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome to me

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So it turns out that when I fly this week there'll be no drinks other than water, no snacks, and we'll be waiting four hours for connecting flight in Denver.

Switch, don't fail me now

Bad news, car declared a total loss from the 4th of July wreck. Worse news, my mother is going to internalize her accident as her being an old hag with shitty response times rather than little brother distracting her from the road with his cell phone.

Speaking of which, time to badger him for a large some of money for the down payment.

I've been looking into getting a Subaru Crosstrek hybrid myself. They're very highly rated by the safety people and by consumers. Tough to find a used one, though.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

I've been looking into getting a Subaru Crosstrek hybrid myself. They're very highly rated by the safety people and by consumers. Tough to find a used one, though.

Guessing that's 'cause people tend to hold onto 'em until they stop?

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I'd like to go to Japan but I don't really like most fish, vegetables, and rice triggers my gag reflex so I would probably starve to death if I ever went.

You can eat cheap and nasty at 7-11 and they have McDonalds and KFC everY Goddamn where. Especially if you stay in city centers, you can eat like you’ve never left home.

I’d consider it a pretty missed opportunity, but food really isn’t a reason to not go to Japan, of all places, if you’re otherwise interested.

Edit: and if you’re a steak person, you cannot miss out on yakiniku or spending your life savings on a Kobe steak.

Plus you should be checking out Kobe and Nara and that south-central Japan region anyway, it’s Kyoto for after you’ve seen Kyoto.

sarukun on
    Best flight experience no doubt is air Caledonia. It's only like a three hour flight, but they fed us, had a "kid's entertainment pack" for Ellie, even though she was only 11 months at the time. Accommodating to mom's medical needs. Just delightful.

Also got to have the old fashioned experience of actually getting off the plane in the tarmac and walking to customs.

Definitely can't wait to go back again.

Man if you like walking across airport tarmac you should visit Southern Africa.

In SA you at least get a little bus at Oliver Tambo International. At Namibia's main airport you walk the whole way including having to wait at crosswalks for other planes to take off

sarukun wrote: »
    I'd like to go to Japan but I don't really like most fish, vegetables, and rice triggers my gag reflex so I would probably starve to death if I ever went.

You can eat cheap and nasty at 7-11 and they have McDonalds and KFC everY Goddamn where. Especially if you stay in city centers, you can eat like you’ve never left home.

I’d consider it a pretty missed opportunity, but food really isn’t a reason to not go to Japan, of all places, if you’re otherwise interested.

Edit: and if you’re a steak person, you cannot miss out on yakiniku or spending your life savings on a Kobe steak.

Plus you should be checking out Kobe and Nara and that south-central Japan region anyway, it’s Kyoto for after you’ve seen Kyoto.

just eat ramen all day every day

this applies to everyone

this applies to everyone

If I eat ramen all day every day, I will weigh several thousand pounds by the end of the year.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    The Osaka intnl airport on the artificial island in sea was a high mark for me. Not because it was that well made, but because crossing the sea on a train is just wild. I was sandwiched between guys who smelt like the inside of an ash tray, but the view out of the train looking down on actual fucking sea was amazing.

I forget Smof, was it cricket season when you came to visit? My favorite memory of the Namibia airport was walking across the tarmac amongst hundreds and hundreds of giant crickets.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

this applies to everyone

If I eat ramen all day every day, I will weigh several thousand pounds by the end of the year.

But what a life you will have lived

I forget Smof, was it cricket season when you came to visit? My favorite memory of the Namibia airport was walking across the tarmac amongst hundreds and hundreds of giant crickets.

The first half of this sentence, I thought you meant the sport.

edited August 2020

More of a soccer/rugby culture there tbh

tynic on

I recall no crickets, and now I'm sad

More of a soccer/rugby culture there tbh

Sounds like British colonialism was beaten back by Australians.

Also what the fuck I just googled giant crickets and I discovered a bug called the weta and I'm never going to Australia now. Thanks a lot.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

this applies to everyone

this is almost surely not what you meant, but...

one summer, back in college, I subsisted on a couple of bricks of instant quote ramen unquote per day, and practically nothing else.

by the end of that time, I was both noticeably thinner and thoroughly sick of ramen.

This discussion has been closed.