As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Homeowner/House] Thread. How long is it going to take? Two weeks!

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I don't understand the order of operations.

In your case, Electrical, Insulation, Drywall.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Today in weird homes: 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 1 cave. Perfect for bringing out your inner caveman.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Today in weird homes: 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, 1 cave. Perfect for bringing out your inner caveman.

I'm here for that shit. Kitchen's a little lame but I'd snap that place up in a heartbeat. If I weren't (Great Cthulhu willing) closing on a house next week I'd be looking at flights right now.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

That is fantastic.

You could also probably supplement your mortgage as a wine cellar

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Doodmann wrote: »

That is fantastic.

3600 sqft of cave is a lot of cellar. Wine cellar, few racks of boutique bourbon barrels, and enough room to set up a event venue/for-rent sex dungeon (provided you could put in a floor drain to power wash it).

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

That is fantastic.

Cheese ageing cave!

:so_raven:
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Yeah I'd be interested in that house if it wasn't where it is located haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

That is fantastic.

Cheese ageing cave!

Only if you don't powerwash properly.

• BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Good news: We're finally replacing our dilapidated fence that was half destroyed by straight force winds last summer!

Bad news: We have to remove almost a hundred feet of river rock over the next few days. River rock which consists of 1"-5" rocks so shovels are largely useless.

I keep staring at it out the window and trying to mentally will it to remove itself but no luck so far.

Having had 2 homes now with river rock and/or shells, I hate anyone who uses it as a landscaping feature b/c the shit is a PITA to get rid of.

96058.png?1619393207
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    How long should it take for a company to give you a quote after they visit your house and evaluate what you're asking them to do? Because I had a painter come out last week and look at what I wanted them to do and they haven't gotten back to me yet

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    How long should it take for a company to give you a quote after they visit your house and evaluate what you're asking them to do? Because I had a painter come out last week and look at what I wanted them to do and they haven't gotten back to me yet

Contractors of all kinds get super busy and easily forget shit, don't be afraid to check in and see how they're doing with the quote. Ask them if there's anything else they need.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

That is fantastic.

3600 sqft of cave is a lot of cellar. Wine cellar, few racks of boutique bourbon barrels, and enough room to set up a event venue/for-rent sex dungeon (provided you could put in a floor drain to power wash it).

Put a gaming table down there and run D&D sessions. Also the sex dungeon. If you have the opportunity to have a literal sex dungeon, take it.

Stabbity_Style.png

That is fantastic.

Put a gaming table down there and run D&D sessions. Also the sex dungeon. If you have the opportunity to have a literal sex dungeon, take it.

Just have D&D sex sessions on the gaming table.

Use the whole buffalo.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Good news: We're finally replacing our dilapidated fence that was half destroyed by straight force winds last summer!

Bad news: We have to remove almost a hundred feet of river rock over the next few days. River rock which consists of 1"-5" rocks so shovels are largely useless.

I keep staring at it out the window and trying to mentally will it to remove itself but no luck so far.

Having had 2 homes now with river rock and/or shells, I hate anyone who uses it as a landscaping feature b/c the shit is a PITA to get rid of.

The fencing company flat out told us they won't touch it but if we really wanted to they have someone they can contact but they charge $1500 to move it, $3000 to remove it or move it and then put it back once the fence is in. That was my first warning light.

We worked out there for two hours yesterday and got maybe 15' moved. I have no idea where we're going to even put the remaining 80' because under the deck is already about 75% full and frankly I'm not super comfy with the weight we've already put there.

The worst part is the wildly inconsistent sizes though. If it was all 1-2" rock it'd be so much more manageable. I'm used to moving that due to working with railroad ballast in my teens. But there's so many rocks that are in the 4"-6" and you almost have to go through the entire section first by hand to remove the larger rocks and then start over with a shovel.

Thankfully the fencing company can't get to us until the end of May anyways so at least we've got some time.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

That is fantastic.

Just have D&D sex sessions on the gaming table.

Use the whole buffalo.

Do some LARPing, so to speak.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Our front landscaping was all lava rock - probably 800 square feet or so of it. We spent three days last weekend scraping it out and replacing it with woodchips / mulch. It looks so much better and cleaner but god damn was that a lot of work to remove. Wheelbarrow full after wheelbarrow full.

We ended up using it in the back to fill in some low spots where water puddles and build a berm along both sides of the yard where we've planted a natural fence of arbovitae. The builders cheaped out and didn't put in proper French drains, but hopefully this helps capture rainwater (or when we water) so we can water the trees less frequently. Also it should take care of the low spot that has standing water in the spring.

And the added benefit of being a bit of a more obvious barrier to anyone / anything trying to enter our yard. It's not quite a privacy fence (our HOA doesn't allow fences taller than 4') but it really does help to enclose our backyard.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Our front landscaping was all lava rock - probably 800 square feet or so of it. We spent three days last weekend scraping it out and replacing it with woodchips / mulch. It looks so much better and cleaner but god damn was that a lot of work to remove. Wheelbarrow full after wheelbarrow full.

We ended up using it in the back to fill in some low spots where water puddles and build a berm along both sides of the yard where we've planted a natural fence of arbovitae. The builders cheaped out and didn't put in proper French drains, but hopefully this helps capture rainwater (or when we water) so we can water the trees less frequently. Also it should take care of the low spot that has standing water in the spring.

And the added benefit of being a bit of a more obvious barrier to anyone / anything trying to enter our yard. It's not quite a privacy fence (our HOA doesn't allow fences taller than 4') but it really does help to enclose our backyard.

that's a new level of HOA dickery I hadn't heard of

• rndmherorndmhero Registered User regular

Pretty sure that's where Pete met his donors.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    My city has a 4 foot fence limit, but only for the edge of the property the faces the street, which makes more sense.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • see317see317 Registered User regular

That is fantastic.

Thanks for joining me for D&D this evening, we'll be playing in The Cave. Grab your torches off the wall and light them up...

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »

that's a new level of HOA dickery I hadn't heard of

our HoA has the same thing but the reason kind of makes sense. We get tornados around this area, or at least very very strong winds so they don't want fences being blown over and then ripping into people's houses.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Our HOA has a semi-shitty covenant and supposedly has all the normal stuff but also mostly doesn't give a shit or do / enforce anything.

Our neighbor, who considers herself our dogs 'grandma' is super involved in the neighborhood and I've been gradually talking her into a HOA coup. I'm pretty sure in the next year or two we can get enough people onboard to just dissolve the HOA or do a covenant convention.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Anyone have any good experience getting new skylights put in? We've got 3 that are apparently way outta code (at least 20 years old, maybe older). They aren't leaking, but they are porous enough to let in bugs and waste energy. We'd hoped to just seal them, but now we're considering replacing them with some nice energy efficient ones with some shades and some frosting for the ones over bathrooms. I'm just a little worried about opening up our roof when every item involved in home improvement costs 3x as much as normal. Still, for an overall house project, it seems like it could potentially be a nice low risk upgrade.

It's that or get my old ass on the roof with some silicone caulk...

So, closing day for our home is next Tuesday, where we transition from the 30-day loan to the 30-year loan.

And now the loan officer is asking us for stuff like a rental agreement from my FiL, when we've explicitly not been calling this arrangement "rent." Much more importantly, they want to see some sort of 12-month payment history from me, and I'm like, lul, everything is in my wife's name. So now I'm freaking out and the loan officer isn't returning my calls and ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Update from my end:

We've secured a Mortgage Broker and realtor. Financing is all but assured. Due to the nature of the market in my area and our deadline (we need to be out by September), it looks like we're primed to start making offers on houses as soon as this week!

EEEEeeeeEEEeeeeeeeeeEEEeeeeee!

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    So, closing day for our home is next Tuesday, where we transition from the 30-day loan to the 30-year loan.

And now the loan officer is asking us for stuff like a rental agreement from my FiL, when we've explicitly not been calling this arrangement "rent." Much more importantly, they want to see some sort of 12-month payment history from me, and I'm like, lul, everything is in my wife's name. So now I'm freaking out and the loan officer isn't returning my calls and ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Having just dealt with a mortgage lender who wanted all kinds of documents that simply don't exist, a signed and dated letter explaining the situation and whatever documentation you can provide will usually go a long way.

Also, somewhat related: got the final approval for our closing next Friday. Finally. Only 3 weeks after when we were supposed to close back on the 21st.

• djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Courtesy of best-of-zillow, a house whose interior really needs to calm down a bit.

https://www.rew.ca/properties/3288935/2761-e-24th-avenue-vancouver-bc#

I'm not sure exactly which side of the line it falls on, between hoarder on one side, and overenthusiastic amateur museum curator on the other, but it's a close thing.

Yep, she finally called back, that's pretty much what's happening. Wife's gonna sign a letter saying all this shit coming out of our account wouldn't be possible without my income, blah blah blah.

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

Having just dealt with a mortgage lender who wanted all kinds of documents that simply don't exist, a signed and dated letter explaining the situation and whatever documentation you can provide will usually go a long way.

Also, somewhat related: got the final approval for our closing next Friday. Finally. Only 3 weeks after when we were supposed to close back on the 21st.

Your credit union or bank may have free notary service for said signed and dated letter if you want to make it extra official for the loan officer.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Underwriters love asking for more and asking you to do functionally meaningless shit that technically makes your score on their sheet look better. Mine told me to close an American Express card account because I had a past history of late fees because my employer would often be late to repay my expenses. I always charged the fee to them so I didn't really care.

Not only was that years prior but I eventually got to speak to the person and said "You realize I could close the account now but just open another one the day after I close, right?" His reply was basically "Yup! Please close it anyway!"

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    Courtesy of best-of-zillow, a house whose interior really needs to calm down a bit.

I'm not sure exactly which side of the line it falls on, between hoarder on one side, and overenthusiastic amateur museum curator on the other, but it's a close thing.

I'm leaning toward hoarder since there are things precariously stacked in every room and the tarp on the roof indicates some structural problems.

Also lol Vancouver calm down, who's buying that shit??

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Looks like the owner of a quirky antique shop had to close their store and moved all their inventory into their home.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
    Seems too generally clean for a hoarder. They have an absurd amount of stuff but none of it appears to be literal garbage.

Though yeah, the craziest thing about that listing is $1.5mil and it's "oh, yeah, there's a house here but after you buy it for a million and a half you're just gonna knock it down and build something new anyway, right?"

I can't imagine wanting to live somewhere so bad I'd go for that without having just fuck-off huge piles of money.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

1.5 million, and no cave? WTF, Canada?

Does anyone have the skinny on modern washers/dryers?

I think my washer is dead, I also think it's from 1997 so I'm not too beat up about it, and so this seems like an opportunity to switch to nice modern (reliable/dumb) stackers.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

I think my washer is dead, I also think it's from 1997 so I'm not too beat up about it, and so this seems like an opportunity to switch to nice modern (reliable/dumb) stackers.
    Get the steam function on dryers.

The House That Time Forgot (For Very Good Reason)

zepherin wrote: »

Get the steam function on dryers.

And make sure that they install a splitter kit. I had some choice words when I found out that my dryer wasn't hooked up to water.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular

I'm leaning toward hoarder since there are things precariously stacked in every room and the tarp on the roof indicates some structural problems.

Also lol Vancouver calm down, who's buying that shit??

Nobody is buying it for the house, it is all about a lot in that area is for sale. Which is clear in the ad ("A perfect building lot that allows for a new home " ).
    Welcome to the truly insane Vancouver housing market.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Depending on your washer you may want to look into fixing it. I know I sound like an old right now, but modern appliances aren't built to last like older ones are. If it's just something like a motor or a pump, that can be fixed relatively inexpensively and might be worth it. New appliances.. you can buy whatever, just know that the more features they have, the more things can go wrong with them, and plan on replacing them in 5-10 years.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.