As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D Discussion] 5th Edition HD Remaster Coming in 2024, Entering the Disney Vault in 2025

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    as the scene is revealed, you describe in your most sincere and excited voice the scene of different kinds of creatures, moist creatures, scuttling, chittering, and oozing

go full Love Nest of Har’akki on them, see if you can work up tears in your eyes

Anyways, enough about me

JtgVX0H.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    diohygtd5hn5.jpg

And all the people looked up to me and cried, "Another tabletop RPG you won't get to run? Isn't this enough?" and I looked down and whispered "...no."

Glal on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So I got invited to join a Norse style campaign centered around a monster hunting accademy, and after careful deliberation I came up with the most absurd/appropriate character I could: Ulf Chadsson, first of his name, Oath of glory paladin and famous athlete, the (already established) party will be joining him on his quest for glory and reknown and by virtue of his proximity begin to unlock their inner awesome. And How could they not since they will be acompanying someone who can trace their lineage back through 12 generations to the projenitor of the family: the alpha chad?

Although, this did lead to another joke wherin I posited the existence of the alpha chad as being a warlock patron for the great old ones who's mental effects are expressions of toxic masculinity :snap:

edited September 2020
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So I got invited to join a Norse style campaign centered around a monster hunting accademy, and after careful deliberation I came up with the most absurd/appropriate character I could: Ulf Chadsson, first of his name, Oath of glory paladin and famous athlete, the (already established) party will be joining him on his quest for glory and reknown and by virtue of his proximity begin to unlock their inner awesome. And How could they not since they will be acompanying someone who can trace their lineage back through 12 generations to the projenitor of the family: the alpha chad?

Although, this did lead to another joke wherin I posited the existence of the alpha chad as being a warlock patron for the great old ones who's mental effects are expressions of toxic masculinity :snap:

Sounds like Ulf would have been great friends with an ex-coworker's Guild Wars 2 norn character, Yolonda Swagdottir

edit: or was that someone from the PA guild? I forget now

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »

Sounds like Ulf would have been great friends with an ex-coworker's Guild Wars 2 norn character, Yolonda Swagdottir

edit: or was that someone from the PA guild? I forget now

Fun fact: a Subplot for Ulf is to find A woman who is equally awesome to him so that they can achieve a yet more supperior generation of Chadssons.

• override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I've been spending the last 2 weeks trying to figure out what I wanted to get for level 4 in avernus game and the DM has confirmed that since I have tavern brawler I can dual wield fists, so bonus action fist punching with full modifier makes that an easy decision

UA feat for fighting style Dual Wield

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I've got a pretty chaotic situation prepped to start tomorrow's session with.

A chaotic evil fire genasi mage has somehow figured out how to get a cinderslag (a magma elemental from the Tal'Dorei setting book) to a small pocket of magma in the Underdark (how she did this, considering cinderslags supposedly always fall apart into inert magma upon leaving the few craters on the surface they exclusively manifest in, is a mystery of its own). The cinderslag is now bound to this magma pocket and will fall apart if it leaves it. The genasi has also abducted a duergar who knows a little about how to make fire elemental myrmidons and paired him with an unusually weak salamander who similarly knows bits and pieces of the process. She wants them to drain the cinderslag's fiery essence to make as many fire myrmidon minions for her as possible, but they've only completed one inferior specimen so far.

The party has been told to be on the lookout for proof that the duergar are buying slaves from hobgoblins, and this enslaved duergar will likely be seen by them at a great distance through a tunnel before they see anything else. They could try to attack the duergar from afar, but if he notices them first he'll try to subtly signal to them that he's in a dangerous situation at the moment. The duergar will join the party's side if combat begins, and if things go poorly for them he'll use an innocuous talisman on his person to summon a single devil ally to help in the fight.

The battle map is divided into the "workshop" area and a nearby underground stream. Charging headlong into the workshop draws the attention of the fire genasi's minions, but if the party falls back across the stream the lesser fire elementals she's summoned and the lesser fire myrmidon will have to go across a part of the stream where narrow piles of rocks allow them safe passage (otherwise they suffer from their water susceptibility trait). Staying in the workshop area, however, will produce a more harrowing result. The cinderslag's presence has caused the pocket of magma to grow beneath the stone of the area, and over a number of rounds of combat the cinderslag will burst through at various points, producing more pits into the magma and allowing it more freedom to join in wildly attacking whatever is closest (maybe some magmin will spawn, too, who knows?). Eventually the whole workshop floor could collapse, causing the stream to rush in.

If things get too "hot" for the party they can try to escape back the way they came or go further down the underground stream (whether that's actually a good idea or not is another story).

If the fire genasi is killed the fire elemental myrmidon will switch loyalties to the salamander, who might want to try and deescalate the situation and have the party help him, the myrmidon, and the duergar get safely back to a duergar outpost in the neutral zone known as Seven-Pillared Hall (despite the fact that the inferior quality of the myrmidon is due in part to the salamander wanting to make the myrmidon's armor ornate whereas the duergar's vision was more bland and utilitarian).

Hexmage-PA on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I've been spending the last 2 weeks trying to figure out what I wanted to get for level 4 in avernus game and the DM has confirmed that since I have tavern brawler I can dual wield fists, so bonus action fist punching with full modifier makes that an easy decision

UA feat for fighting style Dual Wield

The catch is that they cannot be your fists.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I think it's kind of weird that 5e RAW doesn't allow dex-based unarmed strikes unless you're a monk.

My DM just completely stonewalled me as I attempted to bullshit past this so our party rogue could do a little better in his fistfight, it was a real downer, I wasted some premium grade A bullshit.

Then the rogue just chained high rolls together over and over and won anyway even though it was supposed to turn out to be a fixed fight in his favor, so he just suddenly thrashes this hulking he-man sort who expected to play it up then lose on purpose (the DM also didn't realize how high the rogue's unarmored AC would be).

D&D Beyond has a supplement that makes the Grung a playable race.
    https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/oga/one-grung-above

Naturally, I could not say no to tiny poison frog people.

Important parts:
    Poison ImmunityOGA, pg. 4
    You’re immune to poison damage and the poisoned condition.

Poisonous SkinOGA, pg. 4
    Any creature that grapples you or otherwise comes into direct contact with your skin must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for 1 minute.

Grung Poison: (No Action)
    You can also apply this poison to any piercing weapon as part of an attack with that weapon, though when you hit the poison reacts differently. The target must succeed on a DC 12 Constitution saving throw or take 2d4 poison damage.

They're also amphibious, have an innate climb speed, swim speed equal to their walking speed and a 25 foot standing jump.

So, if you make a Grung monk, would you force a poison check on every punch? I mean, it says any direct skin contact...
    My current Grung (an artificer) has been doing some damage with poisoned darts and crossbow bolts for longer range. I'm wondering though, between the poison punches and stun checks for Monk attacks, how many con checks can you force them to make before the DM just kills you off?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    What are the stat bonuses, if you don't mind me asking?

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What are the stat bonuses, if you don't mind me asking?

Dex +2, Con +1
    Proficiency in perception
    Small size

Also, you have to spend an hour a day in water or take a level of exhaustion.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ah, well there's your issue right there. The DM is just going to be a dick to you about proper hydration once you poison punch their whole encounter a few times.

DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Ah, well there's your issue right there. The DM is just going to be a dick to you about proper hydration once you poison punch their whole encounter a few times.

"You were only in water for 47 minutes today so mark down another point of exhaustion"

JtgVX0H.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    As a DM, to avoid abuse, I'd simply ask the question "What makes you think you're striking the exposed skin of your opponents?" It's a little judgment-cally, but I would seriously consider my encounter monsters' clothing and armor coverage if I knew there was a Grung in the party.

Also, "On Grapple" reads to me like you have to be getting very rubbed on to be considered for "contact". Again, judgement call.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    I'd prolly just house rule that they hit exposed skin when they roll 5 over AC or something.

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    A 5E race being poorly written, with ill-conceived mechanics? That's grungbelievable.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Gotta tell you, after having a grung monk in my Monday group I wouldn't be worried at all. Most of the beasties and bad guys you run into are gonna have no real problem making a dc 12 con check or are immune to poison/the poisoned condition.

edited September 2020
    iguanacus wrote: »
    Gotta tell you, after having a grung monk in my Monday group I wouldn't be worried at all. Most of the beasties and bad guys you run into are gonna have no real problem making a dc 12 con check or are immune to poison/the poisoned condition.
    I kind of figured that would be the case for anything above lvl 5 or 6, but with the artificer I'm playing we're starting at 1. So, I'm going to enjoy my extra poison abilities while it lasts.
    Nips wrote: »
    As a DM, to avoid abuse, I'd simply ask the question "What makes you think you're striking the exposed skin of your opponents?" It's a little judgment-cally, but I would seriously consider my encounter monsters' clothing and armor coverage if I knew there was a Grung in the party.
    Also, "On Grapple" reads to me like you have to be getting very rubbed on to be considered for "contact". Again, judgement call.

To the first part my answer was "we're fighting bats. Unless I really botched by nature check, bats aren't known for wearing armor".

Tp tje second: immediately after the word "grapple" reads "or otherwise comes into direct contact with your skin" and there's a sidebar that states that this applies to attempts to heal as well, if the healing spell is touch based.
    ..."and yes if you’re not immune to poison and you must touch the grung to heal it… you get to make a saving throw..."

I've made it a point to have my grung put on leather gloves whenever a handshake is required.

see317 on
    I loathe mechanics that are vague enough to be up to the DM to judge; if you're doing something freeform, sure, judge away, but if it's a pre-defined mechanic it should be absolutely clear when it does or doesn't work without quibbling.
    Oh, you cast Heat Metal on that guy's sword? Well, the pommel has a leather wrap, so he's fine. Oh, okay, thanks.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I loathe mechanics that are vague enough to be up to the DM to judge; if you're doing something freeform, sure, judge away, but if it's a pre-defined mechanic it should be absolutely clear when it does or doesn't work without quibbling.
    Oh, you cast Heat Metal on that guy's sword? Well, the pommel has a leather wrap, so he's fine. Oh, okay, thanks.

Which dosent even make sense, like... the leather wrap is not going to insulate it that well, not vs the level of damage that Heat metal does (Okay, so converting damage to physical temprature = hard, but still)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Well, leather aprons are used by smiths to protect them from heat. Cured leather is extremely heat resistant. But yeah, I don't imagine pommel straps are created with that in mind.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    Last night my level 2 newbies split the party (2 groups of 2) and one of them got eaten by an Allosaurus that double crit during disadvantage and then rolled higher than average on the bite.

On Tomb of Annihilation.

I offered the choice to the player to reroll or become one of the guide NPCs or I ooc told the player there is a way to come back as a zombie, or a one time (party wide) mulligan that comes with a side of "now you know why I asked 3 times are you sure regarding splitting the party" lesson to keep his character. He decided to reroll something more combat suited.

Anyone got a website with a (as brief as possible) list of dos and don'ts for new players, that a veteran player would just "know"?

Player sent me a new lvl 2 character sheet, still same class but changed specialization and stats, same name. I said ok, how about the locals throw your old body in the yeah pit/cemetery at the edge of town while the party is busy doing something else nearby so they see it happen. Then a few moments later, Latlhlander intervenes and brings him back all floaty to where the party is and he had the new stats (a lot more healy/casty oriented instead of trying to be a cleric with thievery/conman skills).

Player loved it, said it's like Gandald the white. Said he meant to change the name, but forgot. So now we just have to pull the wool over the other players eyes so they have a moment of shock when the body is thrown in.

Also intent to have divine missions show up in dreams now that I can use to nudge then when they are meandering.

steam_sig.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Well, leather aprons are used by smiths to protect them from heat. Cured leather is extremely heat resistant. But yeah, I don't imagine pommel straps are created with that in mind.

If magic is widespread though would you engineer in designs to help against spells like heat metal? Armor with special insulation or quick releases. Things like that.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Last night my level 2 newbies split the party (2 groups of 2) and one of them got eaten by an Allosaurus that double crit during disadvantage and then rolled higher than average on the bite.

On Tomb of Annihilation.

I offered the choice to the player to reroll or become one of the guide NPCs or I ooc told the player there is a way to come back as a zombie, or a one time (party wide) mulligan that comes with a side of "now you know why I asked 3 times are you sure regarding splitting the party" lesson to keep his character. He decided to reroll something more combat suited.

Anyone got a website with a (as brief as possible) list of dos and don'ts for new players, that a veteran player would just "know"?

Player sent me a new lvl 2 character sheet, still same class but changed specialization and stats, same name. I said ok, how about the locals throw your old body in the yeah pit/cemetery at the edge of town while the party is busy doing something else nearby so they see it happen. Then a few moments later, Latlhlander intervenes and brings him back all floaty to where the party is and he had the new stats (a lot more healy/casty oriented instead of trying to be a cleric with thievery/conman skills).

Player loved it, said it's like Gandald the white. Said he meant to change the name, but forgot. So now we just have to pull the wool over the other players eyes so they have a moment of shock when the body is thrown in.

Also intent to have divine missions show up in dreams now that I can use to nudge then when they are meandering.

That's a great idea... but explicitly against what ToA is all about, IMO. The Soulmonger diverts any souls away before Lathander could get his mitts on them. As written, your man is being turned to puree's soul mush and fed to an Atropal.

Now, you do what wanna you do and I'm not going to judge in the slightest, but it would be more in line with the intent of the module if your player rolled up the same character with a new name and face instead of shenanigans where its explicitly the same dude reborn and returned to his party. YMMV.

edited September 2020
    I loved in Chris Perkins game when Evelyn (the paladin) got thrown into the soul monger, where souls are chewed on for 2 weeks before being fed to the atropol, she immediately charged into the atropol to be devoured instead of the soul of a child (which was next in line to be eaten) and he made a DM call on the spot that this action destroyed the soul monger, such a powerful soul needed time to be processed and wasn't something the atropol could just eat like that (to be clear she was told that doing this would obliterate her and had no chance of even saving the child, but she plays a paladin what proper with the zeal). She also said that if she's going to be destroyed she wanted to use all of her channel divinity before the end came to give this thing an upset stomach or w/e

override367 on
    Steelhawk wrote: »

On Tomb of Annihilation.

That's a great idea... but explicitly against what ToA is all about, IMO. The Soulmonger diverts any souls away before Lathander could get his mitts on them. As written, your man is being turned to puree's soul mush and fed to an Atropal.

Now, you do what wanna you do and I'm not going to judge in the slightest, but it would be more in line with the intent of the module if your player rolled up the same character with a new name and face instead of shenanigans where its explicitly the same dude reborn and returned to his party. YMMV.

one of the suggestions in the actual book I think is that the player can literally resume playing the same character but they're a hag clone, maybe give them a mustache

edited September 2020
    Has anyone ever dealt with selling spellbooks?

In the session I'm planning today the party will be fighting a wizard and have a chance to find her spellbook. Considering that it's 50 gp/spell level to scribe a new spell into a spellbook (outside of the ones a wizard gets for free by leveling up), I figure that a spellbook would go for price equal to 25 gp for each spell level.

The spellbook I've prepared has 9 first level spells, 7 second level, 4 third level, 4 fourth level, and 2 fifth level. If I did the math right, that means it would sell for 1525 gold pieces.

However, I also imagine that just trying to sell a spellbook at a store would be very unwise as people would wonder where it came from, what happened to its former owner, if anyone is looking for it, etc. A would-be spellbook seller would need to discretely find a buyer over a period of time. Further, PCs that aren't themselves wizards would probably need a wizard to appraise the spellbook's value for them.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited September 2020
    I'd put a substantial discount on trying to sell it at a store, a spellbook is valuable, but it's also a giant price tag because any wizard who gets it will have to spend time and money breaking the particular style of the wizard who wrote it and scribe it into their book for use. Finding such a wizard is going to take a while

a large enough store in a city should be able to swing that, but they're not going to give you anywhere close to full value of an item that might sit in their inventory for a year or more

if they specifically try to sell it to NPC wizards they run across down the line it might be worth more

override367 on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That’s depressing though, so I think a Gandalf moment is okay.

Maybe have their dreams filled with the soulmonger, and whenever they fail a saving throw they feel like they’re stood on the edge of great fall into oblivion.

It’s taken a huge amount of divine magic to get them back, but equally opposing forces want to obliterate them.

All the tension, but keeps the character going.

Edit: There should be a quote tree there, but it was eaten.

Endless_Serpents on

I've done some blacksmithing and the leather aprons and gloves are great for protection from heat for a split second, but holding something for more than a few seconds will burn the shit out of you through the glove, even if you drop said hot iron, because at that point it's the leather that's hot. So even with a leather wrapped handle and a leather glove on, a sword that gets hot enough will burn the shit out of you. The metal doesn't even have to be red hot to burn you super badly, I think steel can get up to like 900F and still look normal.

I did once accidentally hit a piece of yellow hot steel and it slid across the back of my thumb and wrist, and that without a glove on. Instant searing pain that didn't go away for the rest of the day, and it smelled awful. I didn't drop the iron though, nor did I stop my hammering. I worked it until the glow faded and then only after I set it back in the fire to heat again did I administer first aid. I'm super smart. :rotate:

JtgVX0H.png

On Tomb of Annihilation.

one of the suggestions in the actual book I think is that the player can literally resume playing the same character but they're a hag clone, maybe give them a mustache

IIRC there was a method of bringing back a PC by going to Nanny Pupu and getting her to rebuild a dead PC as a reasonable facsimile flesh golem type thing.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular

On Tomb of Annihilation.

IIRC there was a method of bringing back a PC by going to Nanny Pupu and getting her to rebuild a dead PC as a reasonable facsimile flesh golem type thing.

Yeah but they lose 1hp per day and these are level 2 characters so it's not like there is much there to begin with. Not to mention by the time they get to where she is the rest of the group would already be like level 5 at least and several months worth of game sessions.

I also offered to the player to play as one of the guides, but the only one they had meet so far was the drunk dwarf whose hand was chewed off by a dragon, and he had no interest in any of them based on that.

steam_sig.png

On Tomb of Annihilation.

Yeah but they lose 1hp per day and these are level 2 characters so it's not like there is much there to begin with. Not to mention by the time they get to where she is the rest of the group would already be like level 5 at least and several months worth of game sessions.

I also offered to the player to play as one of the guides, but the only one they had meet so far was the drunk dwarf whose hand was chewed off by a dragon, and he had no interest in any of them based on that.

I don't think it was meant to be an attractive choice. Tomb of Annihilation is an asshole. :)

edited September 2020
    My session didn't go as planned yesterday and I didn't get to the big setpiece fight I had planned, but everybody had fun. Not only that, but one of my players wrote out a detailed summary of the events of the session and posted it in our group chat.
    The party finished a long rest and realized the holy symbol of the shadar-kai monk had been stolen by darklings. Enraged, the monk and sorcerer led the party on a chase, ambushed by a single piercer that plopped and scared them, but was worthless.

Following that, the trio came upon an argument between a group of 3 hobgoblins who worshiped Bane and 7 goblins who worshiped Lolth, with a goblin priest riding a female steeder.

The sorcerer, a fiery charlatan type, distracted the group with prestidigitation behind the goblins, a hobgoblin war cry, before blasting a pyrotechnic spell in the middle of the group, blinding almost all of them and causing a panic.

Meanwhile, a pair of half-drow twin brothers and their giant lizard mount had appeared behind the chaos and decided to join in. One brother came across 2 blind goblins stumbling out of the smoke and killed one, hiding his bloody sword after. When another goblin came out, the two falsely believed the half-drow twin was a savior from Lolth.

Meanwhile, the dwarf bard and shadar-kai monk were seriously annoyed at the lack of visible targets due to the smoke, while the sorcerer cast burning hands into the cloud with another prestidigitation hobgoblin battlecry in the distance.

Though the two hobgoblin minions managed to figure out the false nature of the fight, one fled and the other died before doing anything of importance. Meanwhile, the other goblins all died of their priest's blind casting of spirit guardians (as well as a choker picking off a lone goblin before retreating) while the steeder mount fled and the goblin priest and hobgoblin captain fought to the death, the goblin coming out victorious.

The steeder attack the trio, knocking out the monk, who was healed by the bard while the sorcerer killed the spider. Meanwhile, the half-drow rogue and 2 goblins killed the fleeing hobgoblin.

The goblin priest ran out of the smoke and attacked the sorcerer with inflict wounds, knocking him down, but was killed right after.

The half-drow attempted to subdue the 2 goblins, but only managed to knock one out while the other escaped. The twins were convinced to join the trio when learning of the future riches to be found in the gem mine.

The goblin captive was tricked using friends and prestidigitaion into revealing the secret signs to the goblin hideout, which he claimed held riches. The party followed the signs to an abandoned dwarven outpost, only to find both dwarves and goblins dead (even the previous escapee) from a rust monster and a carrion crawler.

Before the bard and sorcerer could do a sneaky trick though, one of the rogue twins alerted the carrion crawler, causing the rust monster to flee. The carrion crawler died oddly easily compared to the fear it caused, possibly from earlier wounds.

The sorcerer was attacked by 2 chokers, but easily put them to sleep while the twins captured both in bags in hopes of taming them.

The session wrapped up with the party searching the dwarf outpost for treasure.

I'm honestly kinda curious why my players assumed the lone carrion crawler was such a dire threat.

I was a little disappointed that the party didn't side with the goblins against the hobgoblins, but oh well. None of them know the goblin language and couldn't understand what the argument was about while initially spying on the situation.

The pyrotechnics spell's smoke cloud drew out the length of the battle as no one could see what was going on, but both a goblin and a hobgoblin walked blindly out of the smoke into a nearby underground stream and had to swim to get out. I had the priest cast spirit guardians (which specifies you can choose creatures that you can SEE to be immune to the effect) just to help hurry things along as the spell hurt his allies as well.

In retrospect I guess I could have suggested that after using the pyrotechnics spell the party could easily sneak past.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited September 2020
    So one of my players wants to harvest poisons from creatures as often as possible. For the Carrion Crawler it's a no-brainer that you get Carrion Crawler mucus as the result. He harvested a Female Steeder's poison, too, and I'm uncertain how to rule what the resulting item would do.

Here's serpent venom:
    This poison must be harvested from a dead or Incapacitated Giant Poisonous Snake. A creature subjected to this poison must succeed on a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking (3d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Here's how the poison works for the Giant Poisonous Snake:
    ...(3d6) poison damage. The target must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, taking the poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Based on this, the poison works the same when harvested as it does for the Giant Poisonous Snake.

However, the Female Steeder's poison works differently:
    ...plus (2d8) poison damage.

The serpent venom grants a save for half damage, just like how it does in the Giant Poisonous Snake's statblock. Following this example, should the Female Steeder's poison just do 2d8 poison damage, with no save?

Hexmage-PA on
    edited September 2020
    I'm also working on a 5E re-imagining of the Misfortune Devil from 4E. I'm planning to only use it in one location in the campaign, at a gambling parlor.
    Misfortune Devil
    Medium Fiend (devil)

AC: 15 (natural armor)
    HP: 110 (20d8 + 20)
    Speed: 30 ft, fly 30 ft (hover)

STR +0 DEX +2 CON +1 INT +3/+6 WIS +3/+6 CHA +5/+8

Skills: Deception +11, Insight +9, Perception +6, Persuasion +11
    Tools: Gaming Sets (all) +9
    Damage Resistance: cold; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks that aren't silvered
    Damage Immunity: fire, poison
    Condition Immunity: charmed, poisoned
    Senses: Truesight 120 ft, passive Perception 19
    Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Infernal, Undercommon, Telepathy 120 ft

Special Equipment. A brooch of living essence causes any effect to identify the misfortune devil as a neutral humanoid. Any six-sided die rolled by the misfortune devil is treated as a charlatan’s die for that roll.
    Infernal Portent. The misfortune devil can replace any attack roll, saving throw, or ability check made by itself or a creature that it can see with a result of 1 (2/day) or a result of 20 (1/day). It can only use this ability once per turn.
    Innate Spellcasting. The misfortune devil’s spellcasting ability is Charisma. Spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks.

At will: detect magic, distort value, hex, mage hand
    3/day each: bane, detect thoughts, fortune’s favor, sending, suggestion
    1/day each: fast friends, incite greed, mass suggestion

Luck of the Devil. The misfortune devil can grant up to twenty creatures every 30 days a boon of luck without their knowledge. A creature benefiting from this boon has advantage on ability checks related to gambling. The misfortune devil can rescind this boon at any time and replace it with a curse, causing the affected to have disadvantage on such ability checks until 30 days have elapsed or until Remove Curse or a similar effect is used on the creature.
    Lucky. When the misfortune devil rolls a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, it can reroll the die. It must use the new result, even if it is a 1.
    Magic Resistance. The misfortune devil has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.

Actions
    Multiattack. The misfortune devil makes two claw attacks.
    Claw. +5. 3d6 + 2 piercing damage. If the target is cursed by the misfortune devil’s Hex the misfortune devil can teleport 30 feet away after the attack.
    Bolt of Betrayal. +8. Range 120 ft. The target may choose to take 4d8 psychic damage, or it may instead take 18 psychic damage and designate the ally within 60 feet with the least amount of hit points, who takes 4d8 psychic damage.

Hexmage-PA on
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Did my first actual game prep in like years last night. I'm looting dragon marks from eberron and inserting them into my setting so I made a whole hunting camp filled with dragon marked NPCs.

We've got 5 main bragonborn with abberant dragonmarks:

-A Brass Swashbuckler with booming blade and longstrider
    -A Red Knight with fire bolt and absorb elements
    -A Bronze Archer with shocking grasp and thunderwave
    -A Green Illusionist with blade ward and shield
    -A White Veteran with ray of frost and absorb elements

They're all nobles each with their own retainers that are all Commoners 1 each of:
    Mark of healing, mark of hospitality, and mark of scribing. (These will likely hide for most of the combat but attempt to fight when they are found and their lieges shown to be felled, there's some there is no war in ba sing se type of action happening with everyone that's not dragonborn here, and all of the attendants are quite fanatical)

They have Scouts helping with the actual hunting and animal handling which consists of 8 half orcs with the mark of finding and 4 humans with the mark of handling that are currently handling 8 raptors via ample use of animal friendship and speak with animals

The camp itself had Guards consisting of
    -5 half elf mark of detection (a real tough surprise for the wild shaped druids I expect to do the scouting)
    -5 human mark of sentinel
    -8 dwarf mark of warding (there's alarm spells all over the camp)
    -10 dragonborn without dragonmarks one of each type.

The camp consists of 1 large pavilion style tent facing a pen with the Raptors in it which has the tent for the animal handlers and hunters next to it. Around the pavilion are 5 large tents for the major nobles with 2 smaller attendant tents for the retainers and guards.

There's about 8 characters to be involved here and 5+ NPCs on their side. They will come from 3 different fronts with different objectives within the the camp itself. I'm gonna need to figure out some more loot to throw in this thing cause it seems like if they make it through this they deserve a hoard of some kind. There's already a staff of the Woodlands in the camp (stolen from one of the NPCs with the party), and at the least the knight's armor is summoned plate. Might do the same for the veteran's armor (it all starts with a social encounter with one of the player characters so the main bragonborn won't be armored to start).

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Things added to the camp and monsters:
    -a big bunch of money in the form of jewelry, opulent camping supplies (chalices, jade inlay mugs, tapestries, that kind of deal), and hard cash in the form of plat.
    -scroll of illusory dragon (on the illusionist)
    -oil of sharpness (in swashbuckler tent)
    -potion of supreme healing (on swashbuckler)
    -quiver of ehlona (on archer)
    -a portable hole (in one of the commoner tents, it's how they brought the camp site here)

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Crossposting from the SE++ D&D Thread

Endless' Temple of Yonth Play-by-Post was a great experience, first D&D I've played in years and now I'm *fascinated* by the game again. I've been binge reading the 5e DM manual non-stop since, because I've been inspired to start working on my own adventure that I hope to run over in here soon:

0cty5nvmjy1w.png

Fifteen pages of notes and outlines so far, entire seaside town of Far Aeston fully fleshed out, and three *straight days* of not going to bed doing my usual mind-looping about 2020. So, any notes? Looking to provide the full corsair experience here, and seeing how much interest I can get

This discussion has been closed.