As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread is WAY worse than the flu

• Options
    StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Sleep wrote: »
    Salem, like our mayor has literally said that people should stay away, and the governance of the city is trying to regulate the shit out of everything to make coming here to hang out super unattractive, but we still got a ton of foot traffic today.

Just tell them this is not the town you're looking for, and send them to Danvers... Joking aside, tourists really are a problem. At this point almost all out of staters are supposed to be quarantining to visit my state, and they're just... not. It worked initially I think, until they all realized there were no consequences for just ignoring it. Now the state's just flooded with tourists from all over. These orders really need teeth or they're totally useless.

StarZapper on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I have two more weekends of this and it only gets worse as the month goes on. At this point it's started bleeding out into the mid week too. Tried taking Nod out for a walk on wednesday morning so Dream could give a Zoom presentation and there were a bunch of tourists out fuckin up our normal walking paths around downtown, not enough that we can't leave our own front door but enough that any other weekday adventure's will have to head far enough from home I've gotta actually bring supplies for changing or feeding emergencies (usually we walk an entire 5k right downtown so we're always close enough that should Nod need something drastically we can get home in a few minutes and take care of it there).

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    StarZapper wrote: »
    Salem, like our mayor has literally said that people should stay away, and the governance of the city is trying to regulate the shit out of everything to make coming here to hang out super unattractive, but we still got a ton of foot traffic today.

Just tell them this is not the town you're looking for, and send them to Danvers... Joking aside, tourists really are a problem. At this point almost all out of staters are supposed to be quarantining to visit my state, and they're just... not. It worked initially I think, until they all realized there were no consequences for just ignoring it. Now the state's just flooded with tourists from all over. These orders really need teeth or they're totally useless.

I can definitely go to the hotel parking lots and find you plates from Florida, Georgia, Maryland, and even further away. Now some of those may be rental cars, but that's not better cause it means it belongs to folks that flew here from somewhere far away. I highly doubt any of them are following the quarantine criteria.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Yep. Had to drive through Woodstock twice this week on the way to Killington for installs and it was just flooded with tourists.

Also one of those installs was like "we just got in from New York, glad you could come today to get our new TV installed" and I bugged out immediately.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular

I think this is where we'll be in short order here in Hawaii. The irony is that if opening up causes a new spike in cases here, it'll make the international tourists hesitate even more (and the Japanese spend a damn sight more than Americans when they visit) and screw the local economy that much harder when a third lockdown is put in place.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/17/politics/scott-atlas-face-masks-coronavirus/index.html
    Twitter removes tweet from Trump coronavirus adviser that undermined importance of masks
    (CNN)Twitter has removed a tweet from White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Scott Atlas that sought to undermine the importance of face masks because it was in violation of the platform's Covid-19 Misleading Information Policy, a spokesman for the company confirmed on Sunday.

Atlas wrote in a tweet posted Saturday, "Masks work? NO" followed by a series of misrepresentations about the science behind the effectiveness of masks in combating the pandemic.

The tweet, which comes as coronavirus cases spike across the US, also linked to an article in the American Institute for Economic Research that argues against the effectiveness of masks, among other things.

According to Twitter, the policy Atlas violated prohibits sharing false or misleading content related to Covid-19 that could lead to harm.
    They really should just ban him.

And the president.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/17/politics/scott-atlas-face-masks-coronavirus/index.html
    Twitter removes tweet from Trump coronavirus adviser that undermined importance of masks
    (CNN)Twitter has removed a tweet from White House coronavirus task force member Dr. Scott Atlas that sought to undermine the importance of face masks because it was in violation of the platform's Covid-19 Misleading Information Policy, a spokesman for the company confirmed on Sunday.

Atlas wrote in a tweet posted Saturday, "Masks work? NO" followed by a series of misrepresentations about the science behind the effectiveness of masks in combating the pandemic.

The tweet, which comes as coronavirus cases spike across the US, also linked to an article in the American Institute for Economic Research that argues against the effectiveness of masks, among other things.

According to Twitter, the policy Atlas violated prohibits sharing false or misleading content related to Covid-19 that could lead to harm.
    They really should just ban him.

And the president.

And anyone who consistently breaches their TOS.

That's the part that annoys me. They've got the perfect excuse, but they're afraid to. Les because of political fallout than for profit motive, but still fear.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I really don’t understand why it is so important for Republicans that we be persuaded that masks don’t work. It would seem to me that Trumps biggest problem ‘long term’ if he ‘wins’ the election is the collapse of the US economy due to fear of the virus. It would seem that just saying that masks are perfect and amazing and everyone should wear them the whole time would be a big boon to prevent that.

Like, if Masks don’t work (and, they do) what have you got fir me Atlas? Because if they don’t I’m never going inside a building that isn’t my house or a hospital ever again.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It’s not about what would or wouldn’t work, it’s about admitting that mistakes were made at all, and admitting anything is wrong

For trump Covid exisiting is a personal insult and reflection of his failure and incompetence. He refuses to help fight it because that would acknowledge the problem exists

Everything is an extension of trumps self-centred self involved pettiness

For the flunkies in his administration it’s a combination of enabling his worst instincts to be close to power, as well as a mix of personal idiosyncratic conspiracies and the belief that they are special unicorns who shouldn’t have to change anything about their behaviour just for the sake of others

Prohass on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I really don’t understand why it is so important for Republicans that we be persuaded that masks don’t work. It would seem to me that Trumps biggest problem ‘long term’ if he ‘wins’ the election is the collapse of the US economy due to fear of the virus. It would seem that just saying that masks are perfect and amazing and everyone should wear them the whole time would be a big boon to prevent that.

Like, if Masks don’t work (and, they do) what have you got fir me Atlas? Because if they don’t I’m never going inside a building that isn’t my house or a hospital ever again.

"Masks don't work" because Trump said one time that masks don't work and Trump can't admit being wrong about anything ever.

Also, Democrats say that masks do work, and Democrats Are Evil Bad Wrong.

They literally don't care about the literal health and wellbeing of the country. They only care about continuing to assert that they are right and you must obey them.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    It’s also a fun little preview of what it will be like to battle climate change going forward

The belief that self preservation and doing the politically prudent and even popular thing will somehow stop the crazies and the powerful from driving us all off a cliff has been proven horribly mistaken

Prohass on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    With Atlas, it's not even like he came to the decision because Trump convinced him. The admin decided that their policy was no masks, and searched high and low for the one semi-professional looking dude who would back them up on it. He has the job because he thinks masks don't work.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Ohio has had each of the last four days set state COVID records, being well over 2k per day and still sharply trending upwards.

Trump held a mask-less rally less than four weeks ago on Sep 21st, so when did this upwards trend start?

Nine days later on the 1st. Trump the Fucker is getting his own supporters sick just as voting started in a vital state he needs, but I guess Nurgle has to get his cheers somehow.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    2 year old nephew had a covid test today. His second time in month. He apparently hasn't grown any more fond of the experience.

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    It’s also a fun little preview of what it will be like to battle climate change going forward

The belief that self preservation and doing the politically prudent and even popular thing will somehow stop the crazies and the powerful from driving us all off a cliff has been proven horribly mistaken

I guess its just very hard to accept that we literally have an executive branch which is entirely pants on head, sleeps in a bath of beans, insane. And that this applies to everyone there. It certainly seems to be true. But, its not easy to think about or analyze someone whose motivations are just inscrutable and random. Its like being governed by a blooming family of possums.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Just look at Brexit. There is no point where reality will finally force conservatives to blink.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

Just look at Brexit. There is no point where reality will finally force conservatives to blink.

Look, the virus is free. And when you catch it, most people make antibodies. Thus, by failing to stop people becoming infected Trump has given every American free antibody therapy.

Promise Kept! Take that reality.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Look at the US. 35-40% of the country would rather die than accept reality. Even with a visible death toll of a quarter of a million people.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Look at the US. 35-40% of the country would rather die than accept reality. Even with a visible death toll of a quarter of a million people.

It's not that they would rather die than accept reality. The reality they are rejecting is that they might die (and that others will).

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

It's not that they would rather die than accept reality. The reality they are rejecting is that they might die (and that others will).

They are also being told by almost every news source they consume that it’s not that bad and that many people haven’t actually died.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

They are also being told by almost every news source they consume that it’s not that bad and that many people haven’t actually died.

Remember, life begins at conception and ends at birth.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    They're also dealing with the unpleasant emotion of feeling threatened the easiest method possible: denying the threat.

See the problem isn't the threat. It's the feeling bad about the threat. That's their actual problem.

You see people do this all the time. They don't address the problem, they address their feelings about the problem.

The feelings go away and there's no more problem as far as they are concerned.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

That helps them with the denial, yes.
    They're also dealing with the unpleasant emotion of feeling threatened the easiest method possible: denying the threat.

See the problem isn't the threat. It's the feeling bad about the threat. That's their actual problem.

You see people do this all the time. They don't address the problem, they address their feelings about the problem.

That's the reason for the denial.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-den-of-dissent-inside-the-white-house-task-force-as-coronavirus-surges/2020/10/19/7ff8ee6a-0a6e-11eb-859b-f9c27abe638d_story.html
    Trump and many of his advisers have come to believe that the key to a revived economy and a return to normality is a vaccine.

“They’ve given up on everything else,” said a senior administration official involved in the pandemic response. “It’s too hard of a slog.”
    These days, the task force is dormant relative to its robust activity earlier in the pandemic. Fauci, Birx, Surgeon General Jerome Adams and other members have confided in others that they are dispirited.

Birx and Fauci have advocated dramatically increasing the nation’s testing capacity, especially as experts anticipate a devastating increase in cases this winter. They have urged the government to use unspent money Congress allocated for testing — which amounts to $9 billion, according to a Democratic Senate appropriations aide — so that anyone who needs to can get a test with results returned quickly.

But Atlas, who is opposed to surveillance testing, has repeatedly quashed these proposals. He has argued that young and healthy people do not need to get tested and that testing resources should be allocated to nursing homes and other vulnerable places, such as prisons and meatpacking plants.
    Still, Trump has ratcheted up his push for vaccines over the past several months, intensifying the pressure on government scientists, federal regulators and pharmaceutical executives. He has had one end date in mind: Nov. 3, which is Election Day.

Trump has envisioned a greenlit vaccine as the kind of breakthrough that could persuade voters to see his management of the pandemic as successful and thus upend a race in which virtually all public polls show him trailing Democratic nominee Joe Biden.
    Trump routinely has told his political advisers that a vaccine would be ready by the time he stands for reelection. And he has plotted with his team on a pre-election promotional campaign to try to convince voters a vaccine is safe, approved and ready for mass distribution — even if none of that is true yet.

These are some of the ingredients of a public health disaster, experts say.
    Trump also has vented about the slow pace of vaccine trials and has fumed privately about the pharmaceutical industry, even though he speaks highly of some industry executives. Lately, he has expressed particular concern that the absence of a vaccine announcement has been hurting him with early voting, according to an administration official.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, a former Eli Lilly president who has close ties to the pharmaceutical industry, has sought to cool Trump’s temper and assure him that the process is sound.

Also whispering optimism in the tempestuous president’s ear has been Atlas, who is said to be operating with the full confidence of Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser overseeing key aspects of the pandemic response, and Hope Hicks, the president’s counselor and confidante.

This is in part because Atlas has sought to spin the public with what others deride as “happy talk” that the outbreak is close to over. “Everybody looks for what Atlas is giving them,” one official involved in the response said.

Offit said, “This administration, like it does with everything, is overselling vaccines. They make it sound like a magic dust they’ll distribute over the country and the disease will go away . . . What could happen is people think, great, I just got my vaccine, I can throw away my mask, I can engage in high-risk activity, and then we’d actually take a step back.”
    Most controversially, Atlas has pushed a baseless theory inside the task force that the U.S. population is close to herd immunity — the point at which enough people become immune to a disease either by becoming infected or getting vaccinated that its spread slows — despite a scientific consensus that the United States is nowhere close.
    At a task force meeting late last month, Atlas stated that there was herd immunity in much of the country because of a combination of high infection rates in cities such as New York and Miami and T-cell immunity, according to two senior administration officials. He said that only 40 to 50 percent of people need to be infected to reach the threshold. And he argued that because of this immunity, all restrictions should be lifted, schools should be opened and only the most vulnerable populations, such as nursing home residents, should be sheltered.
    This is horrific and pathetic

Couscous on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Do they think a vaccine is going to be ready in *checks watch* two weeks? Let alone in the kind of quantity that would be necessary? Or are they going to take a page from Russia and just push one out that hasn't been tested at all? That is pretty on brand for Trump, though.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    If a vaccine was available, half of Trump’s base would be protesting in the streets against it.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Do they think a vaccine is going to be ready in *checks watch* two weeks? Let alone in the kind of quantity that would be necessary? Or are they going to take a page from Russia and just push one out that hasn't been tested at all? That is pretty on brand for Trump, though.

Even if they did there’s physically not enough stuff in bottles on shelves at your local dr yet to make a difference. China and Russia have both been deploying their (to put a positive spin on what they are doing) hopefully functional vaccines relatively widely, but China is claiming to have vaccinated about 500k People so so far With the Sinopharm vaccine. Probably more overseas. But, even if that vaccine worked 100% that’s not enough to make a big difference yet. On either a Psychological or herd immunity level Even if you deployed a vaccine like the Sinopharm one (inactivated virus brewed in a reactor and chemically inactivated) that doesn’t need careful storage and shipping you couldn’t have lines of hundreds of thousands before Election Day. Even if you deployed salt water as the vaccine you just couldn’t do it. Even if every pharmacist in the land was in on the conspiracy and agreed to pull pills out of aspirin bottles and rebrand them as oral vaccine you couldn’t do it!

What works?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

Well national lockdown still works, and we see in Israel (yes, there’s actually good news from Israel) that the lockdowns still work, and they seem to work pretty darn well. Cases in Israel are down 80% or so over the last 15 days. The virus hasn’t changed, the people haven’t changed. Go hard quickly, and roll back slowly.

$9 billion that they refuse to spend on testing? Trump and Atlas are mass murderers and should be tried as such after the election. At least give it to the states who still care.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    “They’ve given up on everything else,” said a senior administration official involved in the pandemic response. “It’s too hard of a slog.”

Effectively managing a country requires hard work?! Can't just set the nation to auto-pilot while we golf, grift, and gladhand?! Who could have known?!?!?!

• Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »

Effectively managing a country requires hard work?! Can't just set the nation to auto-pilot while we golf, grift, and gladhand?! Who could have known?!?!?!

I mean, they gave it a solid go for 36 months before this...

• Options

It's too hard. Might as well let thousands of people die.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

It's too hard. Might as well let thousands of people die.

They also spent the last four years harassing their experts because they weren't on the Trump train and filling agencies with incompetent true believer managers, so they can't even rely on letting their staff do the work for them.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

It's a fairly common reaction to a threat or problem you have no real way to deal with. Like when people avoid going to the doctor because they know it will be bad news.

The fundamental problem is that the pandemic is a huge horrible problem that people can't solve. They just have to endure. If someone gives people an excuse to just not have to endure that, to just pretend it's all fine, many will take it.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

It's a fairly common reaction to a threat or problem you have no real way to deal with. Like when people avoid going to the doctor because they know it will be bad news.

The fundamental problem is that the pandemic is a huge horrible problem that people can't solve. They just have to endure. If someone gives people an excuse to just not have to endure that, to just pretend it's all fine, many will take it.

Yeah, like climate change

It’s a really good thing that there’s not much any individual person can do to fuck up the climate, because all the anti-maskers would be doing that right now. Rolling Coal is about the most pathetic they can do and it’s expensive and pretty miserable to smell and clean up, so even that is very rare.

• Options

Yeah, this is by no means just an American problem, and I'd go so far as to say I don't think Americans are particularly prone to behave this way in response to the pandemic. Our problem is, was and continues to be that our national government literally refuses to take the problem seriously on any level.

Everywhere has bad actors, those who protest and flout restrictions. Its just that other governments either led by example, or were willing to use force to suppress them (China mainly, although theirs was more the promise of force). The US federal government has done next to nothing to help the public.

• Options

Yeah, like climate change

It’s a really good thing that there’s not much any individual person can do to fuck up the climate, because all the anti-maskers would be doing that right now. Rolling Coal is about the most pathetic they can do and it’s expensive and pretty miserable to smell and clean up, so even that is very rare.

There's not really much an individual can do to fuck up Coronavirus either, at least at levels of infection we see in europe and the USA. 1 person being an idiot, not wearing a mask and so on wouldn't be enough to matter if there were well supported well implemented policies. Now, if we were sitting at like, 1 case every 2 days or something and we were vainly trying to reach zero cases then it might be the case that a small gaggle of idiots could do enough damage to. stop us getting there. But, this is a society problem. If 90% of people do the right thing, the virus will spread slower and slower and slower over time. The remaining 10% can probably like, deliberately expose themselves, and always hang out with each other, and try to force the remaining 90% to interact with them and that will be enough to cause an outsize effect and mean we can't eliminate the virus but, they can't cause an exploding case load all by themselves.

• Options

Dr.Tony Fauci says we don’t allow him to do television, and yet I saw him last night on @60Minutes, and he seems to get more airtime than anybody since the late, great, Bob Hope. All I ask of Tony is that he make better decisions. He said “no masks & let China in”. Also, Bad arm!

...P.S. Tony should stop wearing the Washington Nationals’ Mask for two reasons. Number one, it is not up to the high standards that he should be exposing. Number two, it keeps reminding me that Tony threw out perhaps the worst first pitch in the history of Baseball!
    This continues to be one of the sillier fights Trump is getting into so far.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Update on my ex mom in law

Probably getting taken off life support soon, her organs are failing under the stress

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    :bro:

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Donald might not remind us of his own history with the Nationals:
    https://youtu.be/XK9Lcy8-U44

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Melania knew what the fuck was happening.

This discussion has been closed.