Options

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I was going to read the Court of Owls storyline if it were collected, but I heard it's just OK (despite liking Scott Snyder's work quite a bit). Also didn't know it was he who wrote it, I thought most of that weird Batman stuff was Morrison (I read some collection of Morrison's that had Batman in caveman times at the end; and as stupid as that sounds it actually makes sense and was a good story - also has one of my favorite interpretations of the Joker's mental-illness/super-power).
    Krathoon wrote: »
    ED! wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Green Man Gaming has a good deal for the Deluxe Edition of Gotham Knights. $67.
    Makes me want to put my 3060 RTX in the PC.

I'll bite. . . what's it currently being used for? 🤔

Nothing. It is just sitting there. The minimum requirements on this game is making me wonder. My processor seems to be slower.

Oh. . .I gotcha. I was like "How are you able to read this message?!" I just looked at the requirements for the game and other than the Recommended specs being TBD, you kind of have to chuckle at the requirements for 1080P at 60 frames per second running in Low Quality mode.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

30 FPS max is not exactly the next gen only console experience I'm after...

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Court of Owls isnt amazingly written but it does have some really good imagery and the Court is a legitimate threat in it.

It also interrogates Batman thoroughly, which all good Batman stories should do.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    They also apparently have a 4 player co-op mode planned for a month after release? Which seems brave to assume they'll have a month after release.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    They also apparently have a 4 player co-op mode planned for a month after release? Which seems brave to assume they'll have a month after release.

That suggests they're coming in hot. Their last game that did that (Origins) ignored patching the many problems in favor of paid multiplayer DLC (for the extremely unpopular multiplayer mode). WB's team management is as bad as ever.

• Options
    Well this one seems like a 4 player end game would be what you maybe would want because of the nature of the rpg game, but a month is an awfully long time for that edition to come out.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    We just live in the glorious digital future where not a single game releases feature complete but will be great... In a few months.. or years

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

That suggests they're coming in hot. Their last game that did that (Origins) ignored patching the many problems in favor of paid multiplayer DLC (for the extremely unpopular multiplayer mode). WB's team management is as bad as ever.
    What paid multiplayer DLC? I don't think they did any.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Not getting this on consoles, but I wager - if their reason for this is legit - that there will be a 60FPS/1080P mode locked to offline play soon after release.

. . .if I was getting this on console, I wouldn't mind 30FPS if they resolution was a rock solid 4K (most of the time) and smooth 30FPS with all the graphical bells and whistles. I can get used to 30FPS a lot easier than bad image quality.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I pick the 4k30 option with all the bells and whistles every time so this has exactly... 0 effect on my experience haha.

• Options
    klemming wrote: »

What paid multiplayer DLC? I don't think they did any.

They sold skins which could be used in MP, but I think ultimately even they had to walk away from their broader MP plans, despite those being the stated reason (there was a press release) for not handling the campaign bugs well.

• Options
    I think they moved away from multiplayer when the general reception was "Oh, there's multiplayer in this?"
    It wasn't bad, but people just didn't care that it was there at all. It wasn't what they were there for, and it wasn't what anyone stayed for.

• Options
    I'm sure we'll get details about the end-game mode closer to its release, but it is sounding a lot like THE SUMMIT (from TD2) from the description, which could be fun so long as the city itself remains open world and provides an end-game layer (it could just be grinding for resources or prime loot honestly).

. . .hopefully the mode nails it, though it not coming at release really makes me question whether this was a "super secret" thing they wanted to keep close to the chest, or something that they whipped up this year once they realized an arpg looter-shooter with no end-game loop is basically half a game.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I'm only playing it as a normal single player narrative kinda game and it looks like it should function like full and proper game there.

Certainly wouldn't be coming back for any sort of gear grinding treadmill. So long as it feels like any other normal single player game I certainly wouldn't be calling it half a game if its matching up with what is expected from any other single player experience.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    A guy who got the game early has been posting some clips per peoples requests and the game looks hella fun.

The combat animations are fantastic. Watching Nightwing flipping all over the place is cool as hell.

They also said the more they've been playing the more fun the combat has been getting as they are unlocking new abilities and figuring out fun new combos to do.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    A guy who got the game early has been posting some clips per peoples requests and the game looks hella fun.

The combat animations are fantastic. Watching Nightwing flipping all over the place is cool as hell.

They also said the more they've been playing the more fun the combat has been getting as they are unlocking new abilities and figuring out fun new combos to do.

Ooooo this is exactly what I'm looking for.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Here's a video showing off some beginner Batgirl gameplay; pretty clearly shows the SPIDERMAN style of actiony combat was always their inspiration. Also looks like this will definitely be a title where the real combat meat is going to be in the middle to late stages of the game.

. . .I will say that, yeah, the city does look pretty empty and not in an aesthetic sense and some of the traversal (maybe it is just the player) looks a bit unsatisfying. Though, I will see, when SPIDERMAN was just walking across the city and not using their traversal abilities, I thought he looked unsatisfying as well, so maybe thats the same here.

My main issue with the video though is that UI. Holy fuck I can't believe how bad it looks against the rest of the game. Like there's little to no style whatsoever in it, as if they just kind of gave up at an iteration and said, "This is enough, we're already over budget."

Still pre-ordered on STEAM and will keep that pre-order as a sign of optimism that the story, higher level gameplay (including what looked like some pretty sick boss fights) and endgame loop will knock things out of the park.

• Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Ooooo this is exactly what I'm looking for.

This is also music to my ears. I cannot wait.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It sounds like it is a more agile Batman game. The characters are more acrobatic.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    The deluxe version was on sale on Green Man Gaming. I assume it still is.
    The game comes out on Friday. That is kind of annoying. Would have been nicer if it was the middle of the week.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    The one early adopter gave a 10 hour update with their pros and cons(no actual spoilers)

Combat very fun

Decent enemy variety

Enjoying progression

Story is very engrossing so far and enjoying the villains and how they are used in side content.

Cons:
    Crouched movement feels sluggish

Parkour over objects doesn't feel great

Not a fan of the UI

Enemies felt spongy when playing on hard sp they dropped to normal(i actually usually like this in an RPG esque game for the sake of builds)

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Batman VR
    Didn't Nightwing die?

Edit: Ah, I see. I need to finish the game.
    It was a nightmare.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Recommended Specs are out and, I dunno, they are kinda spicy if you ask me:
    "Gotham wrote:
    RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: Intel Core i7-10700K (3.8 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (3.7 GHz)
    Memory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 or AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT
    DirectX: Version 12
    Storage: 45 GB available space
    Additional Notes: 1080p / 60fps / High Quality Settings

It is entirely possible that I know nothing about tech, but those CPU specs seem pretty damn high for 1080P/60. I dunno, maybe it is reasonable given the game is open world with unteethered co-op, but the Steam survey only says that about 10% of users across Intel and AMD have CPU's with speeds in the minimum and recommended CPU ranges.

. . .small install size though which is good.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Yeah. I am wondering if my 1080 GTX will cut it. I mean it runs Elden Ring fine.
    I got a 3070 RTX laptop I can run it on.

That was the thing. It was more cost effective to get a laptop with a good video card than buying a video card for a desktop.
    That was how nuts video card prices got.

I am starting to move more towards the laptop camp due to portability. You can easily hook them up to a tv.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The one early adopter gave a 10 hour update with their pros and cons(no actual spoilers)

Combat very fun

Decent enemy variety

Enjoying progression

Story is very engrossing so far and enjoying the villains and how they are used in side content.

Cons:
    Crouched movement feels sluggish

Parkour over objects doesn't feel great

Not a fan of the UI

Enemies felt spongy when playing on hard sp they dropped to normal(i actually usually like this in an RPG esque game for the sake of builds)

Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Yep, that sounds exactly as I was expecting and right up my alley. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Oh yea they also said the city is very pretty and fun to explore.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    The Batman games seemed worth collecting on the PC. Get them off of old hardware.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5DFOSOfLQM

Oh hey a gameplay trailer explainer. Maybe spoilers?

Oh cool you can freely swap characters and everyone levels up at the same time. Thank christ.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I preordered Gotham Knights.

Does this follow Arkham Knight or...what the hell is Arkham Origins? I thought that was a collection-type rerelease of Asylum and Arkham City (both of which I 100%ed long ago) but that's not how it sounds from the description on Steam. For the life of me I can't recall what this is.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if I need to (or should) finish Arkham Knight first. Does this continue that storyline? (And what is Origins?!?!?!)

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Drez wrote: »
    I preordered Gotham Knights.

Does this follow Arkham Knight or...what the hell is Arkham Origins? I thought that was a collection-type rerelease of Asylum and Arkham City (both of which I 100%ed long ago) but that's not how it sounds from the description on Steam. For the life of me I can't recall what this is.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if I need to (or should) finish Arkham Knight first. Does this continue that storyline? (And what is Origins?!?!?!)

It has nothing to follow up on the arkham games. Batman is dead in this but we don't know from what best as I can recall.

You don't have to suffer through Arkham Knight for this, don't put that evil on this game.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    It does not. It may as well be an "Elseworlds" tale as it takes place in its own continuity.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Thanks to you both. It's rare I can enjoy a new game on release day with no OCD baggage.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    They are showing the game on IGN TV right now.
    It is on Samsung Plus.

Batgirl is very perky.
    I guess Joker is also dead.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Well, it is over. They are now showing Street Fighter.

• Options
    InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    Just pre-loading this now on my PS5. Hooray.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    It is entirely possible that I know nothing about tech, but those CPU specs seem pretty damn high for 1080P/60. I dunno, maybe it is reasonable given the game is open world with unteethered co-op, but the Steam survey only says that about 10% of users across Intel and AMD have CPU's with speeds in the minimum and recommended CPU ranges.

This is the reason it's 30 FPS on PS5s. There's some heavy CPU load stuff going on that doesn't have that much to do with graphics. Probably stuff they wanted to optimize but weren't given the time. Only two players available at launch with 4 player down the road is another flag of rushed release.

• Options
    I will see if it chugs on a 1080 GTX.

• Options
  • Options
    So how is this looking for someone who liked all the Arkham games (yes, even that one), and will almost certainly be playing solo?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Origins was released between City and Knight, was made by (Afaik) the studio that's produced this one and was a kind of Year Two for Batman, centred around Black Mask putting a bounty on his head on Christmas Eve. It's a bit buggy but is excellent.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO