As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Single player games have had piles of optional grindy content like that forever and long before GaaS ever existed.

And if people are beating the game in 20 hours it seems like you can get by just fine without spending 20 hours of unnecessary grinding?

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound optional. Do X crime patrols before you can hunt Mr. Freeze, that sort of thing.

People might be talking about different things here.

But regardless if you can beat the game in 20 hours... then there is certainly not 20 hours of any kind of required "grinding".

True, but if 15 of those 20 hours were grindy filler then that would be a bummer and would make me not want to play it.

But I guess we'll see soon enough.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    If you aren't sitting in lower guk for twenty hours killing undead frogluks, its just sparkling leveling.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I think the game looks crazy fun. Avengers could have been fun if it wasn't a GaaSy sinkhole of stupid. The first level of Avengers are all kinds of fun.

I'm going to have to stay away from this thread for a while until the anger of it being an action RPG and not an Arkham game goes away.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Anger is a strong word, I'd say disappointment is better. They kinda bait and switched folks, imo

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I think Ill take off too. Im not getting it and by all accounts the story is good so I dont want any accidental spoilers. Cya later folks.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I mean most RPGs will have (usually optional) grinding. This is something that existed way before GaaS.

Its for people who don't just want to beat the game but want to beat it with the shiniest stuff.

Dragkonias on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    If you aren't sitting in lower guk for twenty hours killing undead frogluks, its just sparkling leveling.

Always loved it when the King would wield a FSS 2hander and psych you out. At least the ghoul lord had the decency to wield his rare with a unique model.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I think the game looks crazy fun. Avengers could have been fun if it wasn't a GaaSy sinkhole of stupid. The first level of Avengers are all kinds of fun.

I'm going to have to stay away from this thread for a while until the anger of it being an action RPG and not an Arkham game goes away.

At its core I think that's the most important thing.

Like we can argue about whether the game was meant to be a GaaS or not until the cows come home but if it's good...eh.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Anger is a strong word, I'd say disappointment is better. They kinda bait and switched folks, imo

They said what it was from the start.

Calling it bait and switch is honestly so extremely absurd its left reality.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Green Man Gaming still have not released the Gotham Knights keys. Pain in the ass.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular

They said what it was from the start.

Calling it bait and switch is honestly so extremely absurd its left reality.

Not everyone is glued to promotional materials and pre-release stuff. You have the publisher that made the Arkham games, the developer of a previous Arkham game, making a new game featuring some characters you could even already play as in past Arkham games; it's obvious to me this game wouldn't even exist if not for the Arkham series, and this dev definitely wouldn't be working on it if not for their experience with those games.

To me it's more confusing to bank on the goodwill of that franchise to sell this new, different experience. It's one thing to experiment with the formula, and another to simply layer it with Oh So Hot Right Now leveling systems and random loot drops. It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't having extreme feelings of deja vu when people similarly went to bat for The Avengers game, which was a super shallow experience. What's the point of adding grinding for loot when there's no endgame? Avengers has a single raid after two years, that's extremely bad. Destiny right now is averaging two raids a year. The content drip for these models of games (not GaS but just grindy co-op experiences) needs more care and thought put into it to warrant the systems being there at all.

Between the two, I expected this game to be closer to the classic Arkham formula with Suicide Squad being a bigger departure from that series. In reality it's such a hard swing into the last kinda thing I wanted from WB making more Batman games. Arkham Knight came out 7 years ago and looks better than this game, they bragged about having the biggest Gotham city yet and somehow it's also the most boring and plain version we've seen yet.

I remain optimistic this game can be fixed months down the line but as it it feels undercooked. They're definitely gonna atleast overhaul that UI, something Avengers desperately needed and they actually understood that and fixed it for the most part.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Yeah, the devs did not LIE about anything in their game. They mentioned it would feature leveling up, gear with different stats, and they did videos on the combat. However, it is deeply misguided to believe the general public does not think of this as "the next Batman game". Arkham = Batman games in the public mindspace. The title of this game is literally one word different than a previous game in the series. People who are a little more connected might note that the dev made an Arkham game before, and therefore think it must be similar to that. The game's sales benefit from this connection, so marketing has not gone super hard on being like "this is COMPLETELY different." I'm interested to see if people trend towards "this is the WORST game of all time" or "this is great, the reviews were too harsh" as it gets into people's hands. My guess is the former, but it will be interesting to watch (I'm sale/ Gamepass waiting myself).

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

True story about that: Fuck Lower Guk and double fuck the Ghoul Sage.

Thank you.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    I am curious if Batman comes back.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Knowing nothing about the game, I'm going to predict the end:
    Batman is resurrected (or there was no body found and he never died in the first place), either by Ras Al Ghul or the Court of Owls. Either way, he's going to be brainwashed to work for them, and the Knights will have to fight him as a probably final boss.
    (I would call it good game design if winning required you to lose and force Batman to try to kill you, triggering his personality to re-emerge to uphold his No Killing rule, but it'll probably involve just hitting him a lot instead)
    Odds of Batman remaining dead by the time the credits roll are 0%.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Took me a while to finish the two hundred crimes to unlock the start menu, but I did so and got to play some. I can see the complaints about repetitive stuff early on, but I cut my teeth on eq zipping around the city "less than lethal" red hooding dudes is my jam. Story so far is pretty intriguing? I'm intrigued. Enemy challenge seems pretty decent early on, I wonder when I unlock some more punch if that'll weaken, but at least on normal its fun to just hit up 10 dudes and unleash my inner angst.

Tomorrow 10000 crimes to unlock an option menu.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Knowing nothing about the game, I'm going to predict the end:
    Batman is resurrected (or there was no body found and he never died in the first place), either by Ras Al Ghul or the Court of Owls. Either way, he's going to be brainwashed to work for them, and the Knights will have to fight him as a probably final boss.
    (I would call it good game design if winning required you to lose and force Batman to try to kill you, triggering his personality to re-emerge to uphold his No Killing rule, but it'll probably involve just hitting him a lot instead)
    Odds of Batman remaining dead by the time the credits roll are 0%.

With regards to your spoiler
    In the opening cinematic (before you even get to choose a character) you see the death of Batman, and see his body and funeral. But since the Court of Owls are involved, and the League of Shadows is also involved, I'm sure he'll get better.

There are some videos with spoilery thumbnails out there. Watch out.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I pre-downloaded this last night and played for a bit at 11pm CST when it activated. Unfortunately for me, I'm a responsible working adult, so I only got to play for about 25 minutes before I needed to go to bed. Gonna be idly thinking about playing this game all day while I'm at work.

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    I also played this for a couple of hours last night after it activated. Played as Batgirl for her opening chapters. I didn't find combat to be too bad, although I do wish that they had gone with specific buttons for things rather than doing things as either 'tap' or 'hold' the buttons for different intensities of moves. But, maybe as things progress I'll end up using all the buttons on the controller, so there wasn't room for dedicated buttons for everything.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the little I played of it so far, so I'll have to see how things go from here.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Here's some 4K/PC footage of someone at an actually high level; clearly much more going on in combat than the awful low level gameplay we've had in reviews and the like. And honestly. . .looks exactly right.

https://youtu.be/8u7WdvR3FJs

. . .I also totally forgot that AVENGERS reviewed wildly poorly and I still enjoyed the hell out of what I played (while also lamenting the lack of content). Hopefully Heroic Assault is actually decent and not just Wonderlands "combat arenas" with TD2's The Summit.
    Q: What is Heroic Assault mode?
    A: Heroic Assault is an upcoming gameplay mode that is separate from the main story campaign. The standalone mode supports up to four players in online co-op and provides a dedicated arena-like environment with specific objectives to complete and enemies to defeat on each floor (30 floors total).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    I just unlocked my fast travel on redhood only after 20000 crimes. I do like how the open world crimes have levels to them. One of my favorite thing about combat though? Enemies hurt each other, thank you jesus Its always stupid when a big AOE only effects the hero.

Grab take downs though aren't invincibility, so be careful when you want to super fuck a dude up you can take damage.

Jason is still my plaid pants at a funeral (seriously bro what the fuck...) god.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    "Titans" made me hate Jason Todd with such an unyielding fury that my spite carries across all media and, even though I know this is not him as either actor or by writing, I still loathe him =p.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ok so early game check in, Hella fun to play. Progression is promising. Looks meaningful. Camera gets wonky it tight spaces some times. The menus are not great. Especially the gear and crafting ones. Story has been interesting and very much at the forefront of the game.

And for reference now that I've seen it in person these super grindy challenges for the knighthood stuff... is literally stuff that will just happen while playing through the story... you can hunt them out earlier if you want(which I will because the combat is fun so doing it more is a good thing! And there's a fun mid of different types of the crimes along with a variety of enemy types) but it doesn't look like I'd even need to be do anything extra.

I will say the bat bike is very slow versus literally any other method of travel, but at least its not like arkham knight where I'm forced to use it to do anything, its just there if you want it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    And for reference now that I've seen it in person these super grindy challenges for the knighthood stuff... is literally stuff that will just happen while playing through the story... you can hunt them out earlier if you want(which I will because the combat is fun so doing it more is a good thing! And there's a fun mid of different types of the crimes along with a variety of enemy types) but it doesn't look like I'd even need to be do anything extra.
    A reason that kind of thing will come up more in reviews is the reviewer is presumably trying to rush the game ASAP. They have a deadline, and if you need to be able to say you completed the game to make claims about how long it takes and so on, having to spend some of that time doing repetitive stuff is going to get frustrating AF.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Oh and I appreciate how the GCPD is very much not our friend.

Oh and I appreciate how the GCPD is very much not our friend.

And they are kind of assholes? Like the first mission spoilers for some dialogue.

You have an asshole cop admitting they went over the line with a kid but they were "thankful" the kid had a record that'll come up in court, it was like "holy shit these people are fucking trash" or another one complaining they turned their cam off in front of Montoya instead of waiting.

I also like at least for Red Hood his brawling style is fucking crunchy. Like your finish on interrogation is to hold someones arm and kick their god damn face in, but hilariously your door open is a little foot knock that amuses the shit out of me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Also I appreciate I think its like the arkham games, but your attacks all basically hit aoe, if you smash a big overhead near two mooks it'll hit both at the same time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Also for the triple the gotham knights are basically the ninja turtles. They even have the right color coding. Nightwing is Leonardo, Batgirl is Donatello, Robin is Michelangelo, and Red Hood is Rafeal, its beautiful.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The allegedly "non-leathal" takedowns are hilarious.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    You also have to do patrols to unlock your "Knighthood" stuff which includes primary mobility, the skill tree, and your ultimate. And each of those is supposedly about 90 minutes of grinding. So if you want to meaningfully play all 4 characters, you have to do the same 90 minute grind 4 times so you unlock all the goodies for all 4 characters.

I'll probably get most of the way there just playing organically, at least with some of the characters.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    This. . .is not a good "Bat voice. . ." I thought Peter Weller had the most "unique" voice, that still worked, and obviously Conroy coming back would've been the best. Dunno who is doing this voice but they sound way too passive. No gravitas at all.

Nice touch though, the "barks" and "lore dumps" are not fixed. Loaded in and out of a game (to change the HDR because it looks terrible here) and had a different person prime up the first mission. Game also looks quite good (from a fidelity standpoint).

. . .also, I love that Batgirl is more incognito as Barbara than she is as Batgirl. Those glasses were ridiculous.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    edited October 2022
    It has begun trying out batgirl just to see if her mobility power will make doing those missions a little easier than Jasons ghost jump and she's really fun to play...

Also for anyone wondering, if you quit in the night time you'll resume who you were playing in the night and your "night" is still going on.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I also want to commend the dev on when you "make" a suit upgrade you unlock that cosmetic so you can then use it with whatever you have equipped!

Also batgirls beyond suit is amazing looking.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    So to summarise from someone who has actually played the game:

It’s not GaaS, it’s an ARPG like many others
    It’s not grindy although there is some of that if you want it
    Combat-wise it is very similar in feel to the Arkham series, anyone who doesn’t think it is based on that is dumb, but there are no counters and lots of bells and whistles to differentiate the characters.

What I haven’t mentioned is that the moment to moment controls out of combat feel pretty terrible. In-combat is better.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    I will say as a game that opens with I think at least a 15 minute cutscene? It feels like the game is really wanting to tell you the narrative too, so its not a multiplayer title with minimal story at least as far as I've played.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Watched gameplay , doesn’t look like it’s for me . Combat looks … unsatisfying ? I didn’t expect dmc levels of complexity but it looks plain ? Basic?

Edit- who the fuck wanted a terrible cover of a Ricky Martin song .

EspantaPajaro on
    edited October 2022
    Here I go. Trying out the game on a 1080 GTX. Apparently, I needed a Direct X update.
    Whoops. It gave me a black screen.
    Updating video card drivers...

Krathoon on
    edited October 2022
    Here I go. Trying out the game on a 1080 GTX. Apparently, I needed a Direct X update.
    Whoops. It gave me a black screen.
    Updating video card drivers...

Edit: The game works totally fine, I did not look at what it set the graphics setting to. Seemed like high detail.
    They kinda inflated the requirements.
    This is at 1080p
    I am getting a little screen tearing. Have to turn on vsync.

Of course, my power blinked off when I was running the game. Fortunately, I got a new battery backup. No more of that bullshit.

Krathoon on