As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    The inflated specs is probably more to do with coop and the unreleased 4-person coop; just more total effects going on at once

PSN SeGaTai
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I keep BLAM forgetting BLAM that I can BLAM BLAM try other characters.

BLAM

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Ok so each hero has their own heroic travel power and quest alongside it. So if you think "oh this is hard with this person maybe batgirls will be easier" OH HO HO HO WRONG!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I swear. I think my ISP is trying to check if I am using a VPN. My connection drops and comes back on.

Krathoon on
    Spaffy wrote: »

BLAM

I would say its a good idea to do other characters as there is actual story and side conversations you get playing as them. Like when I switched to batgirl I got an email from some other heroes that Jason Todd most certainly did not get.

Speaking of my man captain broodwhich, is his origin in this unique to the game or is a new 52 origin for Jason?

It seems like he was killed by the Joker and Harley and brought back to life by Talia and the League to uhh kill people?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

BLAM

I would say its a good idea to do other characters as there is actual story and side conversations you get playing as them. Like when I switched to batgirl I got an email from some other heroes that Jason Todd most certainly did not get.

Speaking of my man captain broodwhich, is his origin in this unique to the game or is a new 52 origin for Jason?

It seems like he was killed by the Joker and Harley and brought back to life by Talia and the League to uhh kill people?

Nope that’s standard red hood origin . The dc animated movie under the red hood is a pretty good watch . Think it’s on hbo.

That's cool I might have to check that out. I like his voice actor in this, he's got that nice gravel. It is funny he's very quiet out on patrol and Batgirl very much isn't.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Jason Todd's thing is very silly, and generally played very straight

Ok so my initial thoughts are that traversal and the map system in general are very confusing. I completed enough clues to activate 3 pre-meditated quests the following night, and I need 10 to complete my Knighthood quest, but when I go out on actual patrol, they're not showing up on the map. What gives?

Similarly in order to highlight goons on the ground, or your HUD (which you need to beat up a bunch of to gather aforementioned clues...) well, that's mapped to the D-Pad, which unless you have 17 fingers means you have to stop moving to do so, and as soon as you release the button the map indicators disappear, which you means you have to keep stopping to orient yourself. It's incredibly frustrating and I would pay cash money to map that to a shoulder button. No likey.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying the combat. The ebb and flow of it is real nice and I think I prefer the dodge in this game to the counter in the Arkham series.

edited October 2022
    I switched to the Beyond suit on Batgirl and the stronger gear. It is a little over the top.

I already ran into a bug. The first boss was invisible. I reloaded the save and it fixed it.
    So, the game is definitely buggy.

Krathoon on
    Ok two travel powers unlocked, working on Tim then Nightwing. Tim's bow staff is like satifying sounding but he's no where near the crunch of Barbara or Redhood. Don't sleep on Chun Li Barb, she does work with what the lord gave her and them legs crunch crime good.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/NvQwF7nZrdw
    I really like this channel and it's rare to hear them get too critical which ...

Anyways I do game share with my roommate and he picked this up so I'm gonna install and try it out, but my expectations are below the floor

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I played for a few hours tonight and I have to say I am officially confused by the reviews.

On PS5, on a 4K TV. It’s been running great. Smooth framerate, no hiccups or really any issues at all.

And it’s fun to play. It’s not on the level of the Arkham games, or the Sony Spider-Man ones, but I’d put it in the tier below those. It’s a good fun time being a superhero and fighting the crimes.

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    I played for a few hours tonight and I have to say I am officially confused by the reviews.

On PS5, on a 4K TV. It’s been running great. Smooth framerate, no hiccups or really any issues at all.

And it’s fun to play. It’s not on the level of the Arkham games, or the Sony Spider-Man ones, but I’d put it in the tier below those. It’s a good fun time being a superhero and fighting the crimes.

I haven't read too many of the reviews other than some of the snippets that have been posted here, but I suspect that many of the complaints are about what the game isn't rather than what it is. Like the reviewer went into the game with lots of preconceived notions, and then knocked points off because it didn't live up to what the reviewer hoped.

And I too am having fun. I swapped to Nightwing, and wandered about a bit, fighting a few crimes here and there. I would have liked if the game would let you choose to replay chapters with other characters to see what they were doing while you had played it originally, but I suppose it keeps the narrative on track to just keep going. And I suppose it would add some replay value if what the game marketing talking heads said was true and that chapters would play out differently depending on who you play as(as opposed to start out different and just slowly merge together into the same story). But, yes, a good fun time being a superhero.

I dunno it felt like everyone was talking about how the game is some technical mess with a bad framerate and it’s just been butter smooth for me so far.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I dunno it felt like everyone was talking about how the game is some technical mess with a bad framerate and it’s just been butter smooth for me so far.

"It works fine on my system" makes no sense on a console. The performance reviews are out there to watch.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Is it possible it got day one patched?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Some areas are largely ok, especially interiors, and ps5 does better than series x. So you might not notice technical issues right away.

Honestly though even without the technical issues the reviews would still largely be negative. It’s not just the technical issues that’s eliciting the negativity. saying reviewers are reviewing what the game should be, or want it to be, and not what it is, is disingenuous. Most say the combat feels unsatisfying and lacks depth, the loot system isn’t engaging, and the story is scant and stretched out by padded time waster quests, with a so so art style and an empty feeling city.

Like enjoy the game if you enjoy it! But it’s not all some misunderstanding or reviews being uncharitable

Prohass on
    edited October 2022

"It works fine on my system" makes no sense on a console. The performance reviews are out there to watch.

Okay guess I’m just lying then
    klemming wrote: »
    Is it possible it got day one patched?

I had to download like a 15 gig patch so maybe?
    Prohass wrote: »
    Some areas are largely ok, especially interiors, and ps5 does better than series x. So you might not notice technical issues right away.

Honestly though even without the technical issues the reviews would still largely be negative. It’s not just the technical issues that’s eliciting the negativity. saying reviewers are reviewing what the game should be, or want it to be, and not what it is, is disingenuous. Most say the combat feels unsatisfying and lacks depth, the loot system isn’t engaging, and the story is scant and stretched out by padded time waster quests, with a so so art style and an empty feeling city.

Like enjoy the game if you enjoy it! But it’s not all some misunderstanding or reviews being uncharitable

You’re projecting an argument onto me that I never made. I didn’t say reviewers were reviewing “what the game should be”. I simply said I am surprised at the negativity because from my own experience the game runs fine and has fun combat.

Also like, the story moves at a perfectly fine pace, the “time wasting” stuff is largely optional and what isn’t optional goes by fast. The majority of my time with the game has been spent in story missions.

LockedOnTarget on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The batcycle is Hella slow and very clearly due to tech issues. You can see its clearly pushing the game to its limits just putting along. Its extra funny since they have the sound effects for up-shifting. But it hits its max speed in like.. 2 seconds and then you just hear it sound like it's accelerating through 4 more up-shifts while... not getting any faster lol.

The game is absolutely kicking my butt on hard too haha. But that also has me really trying to plan out the best order for skills which I'm loving. There are a couple combos that I really really want and picking what to get is difficult every time. Just as it should be.

The cycle speed is just right for me. Feels fast enough to get me where I want to go, but not so fast I can’t react to what’s in front of me. I find it more satisfying than chaining grapple jumps, personally.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Definitely see what people were saying about the Gotham art direction. It is a fine city, it just doesn't feel like any iteration of Gotham we've seen. Even THE BATMAN felt "tighter" and gothic. The graphics are no slouch though, and I'm shocked at how little I've heard about how spectacular some of this animation is.

That said, the game is rough: this isn't the worst UI I've ever seen, but it sure is the worst UI I've seen attached to a slick AAA product like this, turning the UI scaling down in the menu helps the beat-to-beat stuff, but my goodness is this "Baby's First UI" for everything else. Like one of the tutorials covers a quarter of the screen in this giant absurd font.

Performance is also not great, at least on the PC. I'll wait for the experts to really dive deep into what is going on here, but things just feel. . ."off."
    What I haven’t mentioned is that the moment to moment controls out of combat feel pretty terrible. In-combat is better.

Yeah, this is something no open world hero game can really fix if you ask me. The shots of the heroes walking around in the streets like pedestrians look so bad, but there's no real cure for that.

Okay guess I’m just lying then

I mean. . .it is true. Their are performance dives into the console performance and the news isn't good. Interiors are REALLY good and gave me a false sense of security, but once you get outside, and once you get on the Batcycle, all the vaseline in the world can't solve those frame issues.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh now that i have the glider i gotta say i was not expecting indefinite flight haha. I had even seen some clips of people falling down fairly fast. And now I'm not sure if they just didn't understand the controls and had the nose pointed down or what.

Because you can just fly along forever with that bad boy!

I don’t know what to tell you I have played about six hours now and I have literally seen a frame drop once and it was for less than a second. It’s been a stable, smooth experience. Interior or exterior, bike or on foot.

I do agree that the loot system is boring. Cosmetic tinkering is cool, but otherwise it’s just as dull as the loot in Avengers. You may get a lot of junk in other looter RPGs like Diablo or Borderlands, but you also get cool stuff that lets you do unique things or gear you can build your whole kit around. “Make number bigger and maybe do an elemental effect or something” isn’t worth it. Should have just done the skill trees as progression and not worried about the gear, if this was how they were going to implement it. Or maybe something more akin to Mass Effect 2 where you have a selection of gear pieces that each have different buffs so you can experiment with load outs to fit your play style.

I don’t know what to tell you I have played about six hours now and I have literally seen a frame drop once and it was for less than a second. It’s been a stable, smooth experience. Interior or exterior, bike or on foot.

Stable and smooth at 30fps is still pretty bad. Like a lot of the complaints aren't that it's all over the place, it's that we expect more from AAA titles these days and 30fps cap is really noticable when stepping down from games on the same hardware that can push from 60 to 120fps modes. I game on a 1080p monitor so I I don't even care about 4K, where's my higher FPS mode?

Seriously, watch that Before You Buy review. The guy says he didn't even want another Arkham game, that the game has moments of some flair and style but ultimately gets lost in an underwhelming, boring package

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Why are you trying to convince them that they're not having the experience that they're having?

If someone is enjoying the game, why watch a video essay on how it's terrible?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited October 2022
    Ok now that I’ve advanced a bit I’m finding the combat really enjoyable with Red Hood. Using your fists to wail on a beefy mook whilst taking potshots over your shoulder with cryo bullets to keep a drone operator frozen, all whilst smoothly dodging and countering a swarm of goons’ various attacks just feels really slick.

Can’t wait to get the ability that lets you stick a bomb to the guys you grab, then throw them back into their buddies for boom-boom time.

Spaffy on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Why are you trying to convince them that they're not having the experience that they're having?

cmca0dj6su6s.png

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.

Have a blast all you want, I'm just saying that even if you plug your ears and go lalala it's still a subpar launch for this game. They can and should do better. Claiming 30fps is fine in the year of our Lord 2022 just isn't gonna fly.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ok two travel powers unlocked, working on Tim then Nightwing. Tim's bow staff is like satifying sounding but he's no where near the crunch of Barbara or Redhood. Don't sleep on Chun Li Barb, she does work with what the lord gave her and them legs crunch crime good.

Are you just front-loading all your unlocks? That’s what I’m considering doing.

Just hammer out all my patrols up front, get everyone’s travel powers etc unlocked, and then I’ll have the freedom to play whoever I want.

Started with Batgirl, but I definitely want to play them all.

Does anyone know specifically what Power does? We have melee and ranged damage stats already and power is on everything including armor.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know specifically what Power does? We have melee and ranged damage stats already and power is on everything including armor.

If they're using Destiny style stats, it is a debuff on you unless you match or exceed the enemy's power.

edited October 2022

I thought power is melee, I don’t remember seeing a stat named ‘melee’.

And confusingly, Red Hood’s “melee” weapon is his guns. ‘Ranged’ refers to his ammo type.

Spaffy on

If they're using Destiny style stats, it is a debuff on you unless you match or exceed the enemy's power.

The enemies in this game autolevel to match the players level, which is confusing

edited October 2022

The enemies in this game autolevel to match the players level, which is confusing

I’ve just fought a group of level 10 mooks in one area followed by a group of 6’s in another, so i don’t think this is true unless they scale to a range

And I’m level 9 so that’s a pretty big range

Spaffy on
  • McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    How "spongey" are the enemies? One of those videos above looked like a hit barely affected their lifebar

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
    Oh wow extra momentum bars are wayyy better than what you would expect. It actually divides the bar you have but the speed to fill it stays the same.

So at 2 bars you actually fill up a bar 2x as fast.

I find it funny that Batgirl crouches like a monkey even though she had a spinal injury.

McRhyno wrote: »
    How "spongey" are the enemies? One of those videos above looked like a hit barely affected their lifebar

If your gear is on par at least on normal not too spongey, but when I was doing nightwing with level 1 gear on patrols at level 10 enemies definitely were spongey as fuck (I had to unlock some recipes to make some new gear).

And yeah to answer the question I am kind of front loading the grind, I wanted to unlock travel powers and get a feel for each hero so I went about doing heroic travel unlocks so I could do their side mission.

So far the official Preacher fun ranking.

Combat

Batgirl
    Red Hood (you could flip this if you like his ranged heavy move set over Babs melee)
    Robin
    Nightwing (I just couldn't get his aerial bouncing to really gel with how I play)

Travel

Nightwing (He literally can indefinitely fly)
    Robin (specifically teleport but it can be a little wonk to figure out)
    Batgirl (she's the most like previous batman gliding though not as good as the arkham gliding from city or knight)
    Redhood (his spectral jump isn't terrible it just feel like it expects you to use the grapple more than the others and the amount of limp jumps and falling I've done with him is annoying)

pleasepaypreacher.net