As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Also I got to how shall we say the "musical" section people have talked about and it was funny? LIke that musical choice is supposed to be a joke? The whole scene is played out for humor, every part leading up to it was Harley fucking with you and you at least on Redhood being mildly amused/annoyed by her.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea that whole scene was was quite fun, did people have an issue with it?

Yea that whole scene was was quite fun, did people have an issue with it?

In previews people mentioned it like a huge tonal shift or surprise when it didn't feel like that at all to me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Oh really? That's bizarre. That character tends to be silly and it's not like the characters in this aren't constantly joking around with eachother.

Also its funny you mentioned not being into the Nightwing jumpy stuff because I'm playing him and don't even have those abilities haha. I'm just dodging around and getting crazy amounts of momentum to skill spam.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    So I did the intro mission as Nightwing, my fav character. Impressions so far:

You really feel that framerate, it's rough. It makes the combat and especially the movement feel sluggish and unresponsive. Try walking down a hallway and wiggling left to right, the lag time is really noticable and not fun to deal with.

Combat is fine but rather boring. We'll see after I unlock some upgrades but all in all, this feels very bad compared to Arkham games. The hits feel lighter, the impact isn't good enough to feel big and like you're doing damage. Dick's range attack is very piddly feeling. The animations are nice but like if you spam the quick range attack you get the same like, 2 animations over and over. Both Spider-Man PS4 and previous Batman games have snappier more weighty combat that feels satisfying.

Stealth is a fucking shame, an afterthought. Stealth in Arkham games was huge, and I understand maybe not wanting to go that hard but it's a shadow of that. It's closer to Spider-Man stealth but even that stealth gameplay had some risk v reward, here the AI is dumb as bricks and let's me do takedowns seemingly right in front of them with no one noticing. Also, there's not benefit to stealth as it's boring, combat is atleast more engaging moment to moment.

All in all, I'll keep giving it a shot, but it desperately needs a 60fps boost mode. I bet the combat would really feel good then, but as is it's clunky and unsatisfying.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Also I got to how shall we say the "musical" section people have talked about and it was funny? LIke that musical choice is supposed to be a joke? The whole scene is played out for humor, every part leading up to it was Harley fucking with you and you at least on Redhood being mildly amused/annoyed by her.

It's a bad cover, until the singer starts shouting the main line I didn't even recognize the song.

All in on Batgirl so far, feels pretty good.

I'd kill to unlock some goddamn colour options though.

Woah. I didn't know 30fps could have that big of an impact on feel! Thats wild.

The seeing it thing i can get easier because if I have a direct comparison and swap back and forth I can see but won't notice on my own.

But I can't feel it at all even swapping back and forth haha.

That also means for anyone that normally picks 4k30 on games that this will probably feel pretty good though!

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I don’t know what to tell you I have played about six hours now and I have literally seen a frame drop once and it was for less than a second. It’s been a stable, smooth experience. Interior or exterior, bike or on foot.

Stable and smooth at 30fps is still pretty bad.

Disagree.

30 is and always has been a perfectly good framerate.

60 is of course better but a game being 30 doesn’t make it garbage.

Game is smooth and any issues I have with the controls have nothing to do with the framerate.

LockedOnTarget on
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Have a blast all you want, I'm just saying that even if you plug your ears and go lalala it's still a subpar launch for this game. They can and should do better. Claiming 30fps is fine in the year of our Lord 2022 just isn't gonna fly.

30 FPS is definitely coming back, although hopefully on the back of stuff more like Plague Tale 2 and Starfield. This game doesn't have much to show for it.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Hmmm...yeah I kind of thing this will be a game I have to play for myself once I can play it.

I feel like it's one of those things that people already come into with a bias and that influences things.

Not to say some of the complaints aren't valid but I also know how in these kinds of situations people will make a bigger deal about certain things than might be warranted.

But if I had to guess I'll probably end up thinking it's a fairly decent just not great game.

Dragkonias on
    edited October 2022
    Should games on PS5 and XSX be offering those 60fps options? Hell yes! Most certainly! Is not offering it here due to them having tech issues? Most likely!

But the folks who absolutely need 60fps on consoles are a minority group. The average gamer doesn't know anything about that stuff and isn't even going through those options. And then of the group that do know and understand theres a whole group that are picking the 4k30 options. And then of those that actually prefer 60fps there's a whole subset that can still play 30fps fine.

But yea.. no matter the year 30fps isn't going anywhere. Marketing resolution to go with people's fancy new TVs is always gonna have broader appeal.

DemonStacey on
    It’s perfectly fair to point out that the game isn’t so graphically intense, there are lots of games that both look better and have a higher frame rate.

I just take issue with the idea that a game being 30 means it runs poorly.

I think sometimes people confuse “could be better” with “bad”.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Anyone know how the heck to stop a getaway van? I've been chasing this thing forever, plinking i with batarangs from my bike. It looked like it had blown a tire but it's certainly not slowing down.

EDIT- nm, the MOMENT I posted that I figured it out. Yeesh. Not nearly as smooth as car takedowns in Spiderman =p.

vamen on
    I don’t know what to tell you I have played about six hours now and I have literally seen a frame drop once and it was for less than a second. It’s been a stable, smooth experience. Interior or exterior, bike or on foot.

Disagree.

Game is smooth and any issues I have with the controls have nothing to do with the framerate.

Having now played it, I don't think smooth is the word I'd use at all. It feels very sluggish. Alot of awkward moments still
    https://youtu.be/DS0g9T6ztGI
    I also gotta say, not in love with the dodge. I'm trying so hard to enjoy combat but the dodge feels hit or miss. I wish it was more like the Arkham dodge where you can roll over enemies to get away. The general flow of combat feels more awkward and pushes me to spam ranged attacks, but those feel so piddly and unsatisfying.

Overall, I'm trying to find the good, in that the concept is so strong a better game would be absolutely my thing. But so far it's not doing much for me. Maybe co-op will improve things, if there's some combo moves that open things up that would be great. I feel like I'm not rewarded for striving for a no hit run, and it's too easy to get hit from off screen because the camera is so bad

Played more with Nightwing, still am not a fan of his moveset. I will say sometimes its better to burn a night if you're using a character you don't normally do and make sure to get some recipe unlocks and don't try and do too much crime fighting, trying to fight high level people with lower level gear is a frustration point for sure.

Nightwing remains the easiest travel power guy though, that glider is OP as fuck. Yeah slower than a 60% in WoW but amazing at batarang hunting.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I'm finding Red Hood and Batgirl to be the most fun to play so far.

Though I haven't spent much time with Robin.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is there transmog available for the characters’ civilian clothing?

Specifically, I want to change Babs’ outfit. The half-tucked shirt really bugs me. I think it’s seriously triggering some OCD or something.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is there transmog available for the characters’ civilian clothing?

Specifically, I want to change Babs’ outfit. The half-tucked shirt really bugs me. I think it’s seriously triggering some OCD or something.

Yeah this is important. I hate when games tie stats to ugly outfits.

Dragkonias on
    I'm finding Red Hood and Batgirl to be the most fun to play so far.

Though I haven't spent much time with Robin.

They are my favorite combatants. Hood is the lord of grabs, and Babs with her dodge and fast but strong melee with single target melee wipe outs feels really strong.

Tims strength is even with almost no points in. he gets his momentum up fast so you can spam that decoy and blow up enemies with it. And he's really fast. Dick I dunno he's got a lot of group powers, but I haven't been able to like chain his aerial attacks like the game makes me think I should want to.

And so far I haven't seen any casual outfit changes, but oddly in a cut scene they were all wearing different stuff. None of the costumes for like night time gameplay where you'll spend 90% of the game is tied to anything you can cosmetic that no issue.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Red Hood's greatest strength is "fuck it I'm shooting". Like you can mash your shoot attack or go fps cap a fool mode and either one works on the majority of enemies. Hilariously the only move I routinely miss is my spirit bullet. The body is willing but the spirits just miss.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    One thing I'm wondering is how much RPG and how much action game is this?

Like can I overcome a situation through skill if I'm somewhat underleveled?

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Framerate is pretty erratic on PC I find, running it on a 3080ti; I did realize there's a new driver so going to give that a try and see what it does - supposedly it's a good boost.

The game is a mixed bag; the basic gameplay is fun so far and I've played all day and only just come across the games real antagonist I guess. The UI is pretty atrocious unlocks are kinda weird and materials right now just don't seem to matter as I never find any blueprint/pattern that I don't have all the materials for, so why do they even exist.

Grappling is both fun and frustating as the auto aim is janky as fuck a lot of the time, enough to ruin it, but when it does work you're left wondering why the motorcycle is even in the game.

I thought I was going to get a new Wing, but instead it's just a fast travel between zones after doing some things to unlock it.

Dragkonias wrote: »

You can. You’ll do less damage, and take more in return. But you can win.

Dragkonias wrote: »

Under leveled can't really happen because the enemies level with you or don't level with you. The only under level you can have is your gear being out of date and yeah if you really hate yourself you can have your lower level stuff equipped versus higher level enemies, though the game does remove lower level recipes from you as there is no reason to make them when you are higher than them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Stable 30 fps is fine.
    It’s perfectly fair to point out that the game isn’t so graphically intense, there are lots of games that both look better and have a higher frame rate.

I just take issue with the idea that a game being 30 means it runs poorly.

I think sometimes people confuse “could be better” with “bad”.

Going by the Digital Foundry tech review, their issue about the framerate isn't that it runs at 30fps, it's that it can't stay there.
    Which I have much more understanding for. I gave up on Age of Calamity not because the framerate was low, but because it was erratic as hell.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

Disagree.

Having now played it, I don't think smooth is the word I'd use at all. It feels very sluggish. Alot of awkward moments still
    https://youtu.be/DS0g9T6ztGI

I know it’s different when you’re playing since you’re concentrating on that, but watching that clip I could see quite a few little frame drops.

Not great when you’re already capping at 30.

edited October 2022
    The bad and the good from yesterday.

Bad: so some events have a range where if you step outside it it counts as abandoning. I was trying to find the entrance for this nest and my grapple hit too far away and whoops, you abandoned and it despawned and it was the only one on the map and I needed it for a challenge. Laaame!

Good: as you get more tools the combat really starts singing. Ranged becomes very useful with status effects. And when you have enough momentum to really be weaving in abilities you can get some cool stuff going.

I can really feel how bad things go when I start getting mash-y. But when I'm attacking more rhythmically I start feeling great. Just hitting all those perfect dodges and perfect attacks flowing around the battle. Although I imagine for people good at twitch timing the perfect dodge may be a bit easy as they usually have a warning before the timing. But thats great for me because without that I'd never be able to hit it fast enough haha.

Now I have to try and decide what 2 status effects I wanna combo together. I want to have a different one on melee and ranged. Still have to try out toxic and electric.

DemonStacey on
    I enjoy everyones combat except night wing. He's the only guy with full gear/mods I just don't have a good time with. Tim, Babs, Broodly, all have a flow and fun. Nightwing just struggle bus's for me that I think he and I don't synch or they literally need to fix his kit.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2022
    Preacher wrote: »
    I enjoy everyones combat except night wing. He's the only guy with full gear/mods I just don't have a good time with. Tim, Babs, Broodly, all have a flow and fun. Nightwing just struggle bus's for me that I think he and I don't synch or they literally need to fix his kit.

I think that may just be the kit not meshing! But I'd say thats a good thing. If you are making characters properly feel different they shouldn't all be equally fun for everyone.

Still playing Nightwing and not using the jumpy skills. Just momentum, dodging, flowing, staus effects, evasive fun!

He also has, imo, the most interesting skill trees. But that may also just be due to the style being very interesting to me haha.

DemonStacey on
    Final ability stuff i just looked up out of curiosity not actually describing them just my feelings.
    ok so Batgirl and Robins are both awesome. Both visuallyand effect wise they are both wayyyy cooler than the other 2. The feel like proper final abilities!

Nightwings is sadly very disappointing imo. Oh well! I guess at least I'll have all the stuff I want for my build earlier?

Gods damn am I jealous of Robin and Batgirl players though.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    I struggle to get Mystic Shot to work properly for Red Hood. It often just doesn’t fire. The description just says “Press R2 to fire” but clearly I have to do something else first to make it lock-on.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    See… I am a Nightwing guy. He’s really clicking for me. His Pounce ability means I can get around the battlefield very quickly. He also feels like he builds momentum way faster than the others so I’m constantly able to use Pounce.

I wasn’t expecting to like Nightwing. I’m fairly indifferent to the character from a comics and lore perspective. But in this game he’s really clicking with me.

Tried to give co-op a try with my roommate, he seems to like the game so I figured it should be fine. Nope... Dropped him multiple times from my game and was generally terrible lag.
    https://youtu.be/-t0tC9Nk3cM

Also my god how many fucking crafting materials do you need Jesus wept

So like 30 hours in I unlocked fast travel... And I knew I'd swap from my boy brood hood, but Batgirl is just that solid.

I will say from the two actual boss fights I've done, the action part of RPG is still very much a part of the game.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I’m wondering if there wasn’t a stealth nerf to enemy HP on launch day. Enemies do not feel like the HP sponges that a lot of reviews complained about.

Even the heavies feel fairly balanced and are not the monotonous chore to take down that the reviews claimed them to be.

Maybe it gets worse later on, but right now where I’m at combat feels about right. No, it isn’t as fluid as Arkham or Insomniac’s Spider-man, but I still am enjoying it and having fun with the game overall.

It’s possible some reviewers had to rush to get done and ended up undergeared, if your weapons are much lower than your level you can still beat enemies but they’ll take a lot more hits.

Some reviews complained about not being able to craft stuff as well, which is the exact opposite from my experience. I haven’t had to think about crafting materials at all, I always have way more than I need.

I think the experience is just different when you are trying to blitz through vs taking things at your own pace. Being a reviewer sucks sometimes, having to worry about beating a game by a certain time can suck.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    I’m wondering if there wasn’t a stealth nerf to enemy HP on launch day. Enemies do not feel like the HP sponges that a lot of reviews complained about.

Even the heavies feel fairly balanced and are not the monotonous chore to take down that the reviews claimed them to be.

Maybe it gets worse later on, but right now where I’m at combat feels about right. No, it isn’t as fluid as Arkham or Insomniac’s Spider-man, but I still am enjoying it and having fun with the game overall.

I could imagine reviewers maybe didn't upgrade their gear or use mods? If you don't do either enemies don't do go down easy. But they could have also stealth nerfed enemy hps.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I do appreciate with multiple costumes/hair styles, there isn't as much noticeable shitty clipping and fucking thank god. I'm so god damn sad with so many games who have cosmetic options but half of them clip with your gear.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Played a bit more today, think I've got a better grasp on the core loop now. Go out, do one or two Case File missions, grab some collectibles and random/premeditated crimes.

Feel like tailoring my character selection to the current Case File objective: Red Hood for interrogating randos, Batgril for hacking, etc.

Grapple + jump kinda feels like Spider-Man. Really, the Arkham series's grapping has wanted to be Spider-Man since City.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen