As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm not trying to be constantly negative but the lack of proper parkour system makes it feel awkward to get around. The grapple is very awkward and doesn't flow great. Like ideally doing the jump after landing would take you to another landing point but it kinda just dumps you wherever. It doesn't feel great getting around the city. Maybe I'll feel differently once I have the glider but it's just cumbersome. It feels like they made the grapple cover huge distances to make up for it.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    I got really good at mixing grapple with the heroic travel (outside of nightwing again he literally just flies). I will say the devs with their heroic travel challenges train you well to do it, even if at the time I was like "you fucking bastards" Though the bat cycle is good for just covering long distances even if I wish it went faster.

I will say advance the main story so you can unlock actual fast travel options. Its easy to do, and I wish I'd done it sooner.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    The grapple has some weird targetting issues where it doesn't snap to things like it should. That said, it snaps to all sorts of edges and I don't recall it doing that in the Arkham games? Once you get into it it feels like you leave the cycle in the dust.

Unlocked the Wing fast travel too, which is handy.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Some random thoughts and experiences after playing a fair amount this weekend:

- The bike has some weird physics, and traffic is extremely scripted. I'm not looking for GTA here, but at the same time, the driving is weird to play because it's not even remotely realistic or challenging. More of an observation than anything. Feels like the bike was implemented almost as an afterthought with minimal effort. It's there. It's serviceable. And it (mostly) works.

- The very first bug I encountered in the game was on the bike during the opening mission. I was driving along on a flat surface, not doing anything special or crazy at all. And my bike took a nosedive into the ground and I fell into the gameworld and had to respawn at the start of the driving course. Not a big deal because it was the driving tutorial at the start of the game, but it didn't inspire much confidence. Fortunately I haven't had that happen again since then.

- The one other bug I encountered was with the grappling hook. I was standing right up against a wall. Physically touching it. And I shot the grappling hook upwards. It moved my character partially through the surface of the wall and my character got stuck in the geometry of the wall. Couldn't move or jump or duck or anything. Had to reload.

- As others have noted, the grappling hook is a bit awkward to use sometimes. It doesn't always target the thing you want it to target, and it feels very imprecise at times.

- I don't like that Stealth Takedown is mapped to the same button as Ranged Attack. I've had multiple instances where I'm directly behind a target within melee striking distance, and I even have the prompt on-screen to press Triangle for Stealth Takedown. And yet for some reason my character chooses to initiate a Ranged Attack instead, failing to take down the target and blowing my cover. This one is very frustrating and also has happened multiple times.

- Sometimes combat feels very smooth and fluid. My character "snaps to" the target and I'm able to move from enemy to enemy, not quite like freeflow, but very close to it. Other times it feels like a total crapshoot. My character decides to face the other way from where I'm trying to look, or my character doesn't target anything at all and just swings at /shoots at nothing, even though there's an enemy right in front of them to attack. Combat is overall not bad. But sometimes it is frustratingly inconsistent with how things work and how your character's targeting behaves.

- Enemy hitboxes seem to be big boxes and not conforming to their actual models. The reason I bring this up is because sometimes doing precise shooting is impossible to pull off. Example: An enemy is standing in front of an explosive barrel. I've got a clear shot to aim right between their legs and hit the barrel behind them. But the ranged hit doesn't pass between their legs. It registers as a hit on the target in front, even though I was extremely precise with my aim at the barrel behind them.

- Having played literally every Assassin's Creed game in that series, I can say that the context sensitive movement controls can work quite satisfactorily. But it doesn't work very well in Gotham Knights. Their entire context sensitive mobility system needs another development pass to clean it up and make it more smooth and more precise.

This might sound like a lot of complaints, which I guess it is. But that's because I see so much potential in this game. In general, I really am enjoying it. And in general, it usually works pretty well. But there are also plenty of times where I clearly input one command, and the game interprets it to do something else, which really screws me up. I'm not very far into the story yet because I chose to unlock all the knighthoods and mobility options for all the characters before pursuing the story. But as of right now I'd probably rate the game a solid "B" based on what I've played. It's not a bad game, and in fact it constantly leaves me wanting to play more. It's got good bones underneath. It just needs a bit more love, care, and attention to bring it up to an "A."

It definitely isn't as bad as many reviews are making it out to be.

Lucascraft on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'd say if they introduced a 60fps boost mode I'd be a lot happier with combat and such. Also the movement controls can be so awkward even when just on foot.

Also the early mission where you have to sneak into the GCPD really threw me for a loop as I figured it would let me figure out my own way in. There were some cops outside standing guard by the front door so I wanted to see if I could just lure them away and go in the front door, but the front door was not an actual door (same with all doors on all sides of the building) and instead it wanted me to go to a waypoint further away and ride in through a parking garage. Not the end of the world but things like this make me question why everything has to be Open World these days but also fairly linear in how you accomplish tasks.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So like 30 hours in I unlocked fast travel... And I knew I'd swap from my boy brood hood, but Batgirl is just that solid.

I will say from the two actual boss fights I've done, the action part of RPG is still very much a part of the game.

Thirty hours to unlock fast travel?

I am in the business of saving lives.
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    So like 30 hours in I unlocked fast travel... And I knew I'd swap from my boy brood hood, but Batgirl is just that solid.

I will say from the two actual boss fights I've done, the action part of RPG is still very much a part of the game.

Thirty hours to unlock fast travel?

Because I was doing a bunch of side stuff, you could easily unlock it like maybe hour two into the game. Its like the third story mission in.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Is it supposed to be a mechanic that you can only craft while on the map? My crafting inside the tower is completely empty. On the streets I have a ton of options.
    So you craft during a mission, then have to equip it in between missions? It seems weird.

I also have stuck quests, Basic Training and Knighthood. Can't recomplete the training mission, I completed them on one hero each.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Only time my crafting in the tower is empty is if I haven't played that character in a few level ups because the game takes away obsolete patterns from their inventory, otherwise crafting doesn't matter where you do it other than you can't equip crafted stuff in the field which makes sense lorewise but is dumb otherwise.

Knight hood being bugged is weird, have you done the tutorial on the character it says it has to get done on? I know I had to do some of them even with a Checkmark on the char it said it was for

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Yeah, I noticed it puts a checkmark for the first time you do it. But to complete the Knighthood challenge, all 4 characters have to do that one specific challenge.

Which is good actually, because Jason's Perfect Strikes work different from the other 3. I never would have known that if I hadn't run through his challenge.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, I noticed it puts a checkmark for the first time you do it. But to complete the Knighthood challenge, all 4 characters have to do that one specific challenge.

Which is good actually, because Jason's Perfect Strikes work different from the other 3. I never would have known that if I hadn't run through his challenge.

Though that's only for the first step thankfully. When you unlock piercing you don't have to do that tutorial on each character.

I will say with momentum abilities you can be more aggressive on mini boss and boss enemies than you'd normally think as the attacks can interrupt their attack. Which they show you in the piercing tutotorial.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    I will again no spoilers say when you're playing this, do the story missions at least past the iceberg lounge which I think is like 3rd actual mission past the tutorial. Because it opens up fast travel and repeatable side missions for equipment and supply unlocks.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Guess I need to do that. I've been spamming crimes and patrols after only doing the tutorial and police station investigation. As soon as they let me free roam, I haven't touched story again since then. Just been unlocking Knighthood and Momentum abilities.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Guess I need to do that. I've been spamming crimes and patrols after only doing the tutorial and police station investigation. As soon as they let me free roam, I haven't touched story again since then. Just been unlocking Knighthood and Momentum abilities.

Yeah that's literally what I did! And I'm saying I wish I had fast travel unlocked for when I was doing movement challenges and crimes! It'll make things way way more efficient.

Also I ended up biting the bullet and looking up a guide for the landmarks. It wasn't so much that I hadn't found the landmark I just apparently was terrible at locating the plaques for them. Even with the game in theory high lighting them to me.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So this game is a lot of fun. I'm also not sure what the complaints about Gotham was as I really like the neon design aesthetic of the city.

But as far as the gameplay, so far I've just played Batgirl and she is a ton of fun. A buddy of mine and I are going to give the co-op a go either today or tomorrow. Looking forward to that.

I've been enjoying running around the city stopping random crimes. I really need to start working on getting the alternative traversal methods unlocked. I miss gliding around the city and really want to unlock that for Batgirl.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    So this game is a lot of fun. I'm also not sure what the complaints about Gotham was as I really like the neon design aesthetic of the city.

But as far as the gameplay, so far I've just played Batgirl and she is a ton of fun. A buddy of mine and I are going to give the co-op a go either today or tomorrow. Looking forward to that.

I've been enjoying running around the city stopping random crimes. I really need to start working on getting the alternative traversal methods unlocked. I miss gliding around the city and really want to unlock that for Batgirl.

Batgirl plays the most like Batman from previous arkhams in my opinion. Its not exactly 1 to 1, but from combat and her gliding its very similar.

Plus her kit is just so god damn strong and outfits are very nice.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Man was having some trouble with a side villain fight I'll spoil. Its the second time you fight them... Until I used a part of batgirls kit I'd forgotten about and then it was easy

The fucking freeze spider tank was messing me up until I used batgirls elemental explosion with my stun tonfas I'd basically pop a stun on him and get to beat his stupid ass down.

I will say again the bosses are not just health sponges and you do have to deal with their mechanics even if you out level them. Which is at least a nice thing that the game still has the action to its rpg.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm rotating through chars, so I'm not able to craft because it's been 3 days and I gained a few levels? That seems stupid.

I've done the 'Break Guard' at least 4x per character, it worked only on the first char first time, then never again.
    I'm not 100% on the Perfect Strikes.

I also feel like the game is really muddy in the middle and longer distance. The models up close are fine but it drops off. Don't really see baterangs in the distance.
    I'm on minimum cpu but above recommended gpu, most things on high.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Its less not able to craft, its more just go out and stop some crimes open some chests and you'll get patterns for them.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    just finished chapter 1.2 i think, i'm enjoying it so far

I've got a 3070 and the game runs fantastic with everything set to highest the DLSS set to quality. DLSS is magic.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    So I do wonder if you bring other heroes on certain missions what their dialogue is. Like on a harley side mission I had Batgirl and I'll spoil this for some dialogue stuff.

Batgirl complains Harley's jingle is going to get stuck in her head and later on she starts humming along to it. Do the other knights do the same or is that a unique beat for Batgirl?

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Oh also you're people do switch their casual outfits as the story chapters change. Like if you get out of chapter 1 Babs changes into a different look without the tucked/untucked issue.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2022
    So I do wonder if you bring other heroes on certain missions what their dialogue is. Like on a harley side mission I had Batgirl and I'll spoil this for some dialogue stuff.

Batgirl complains Harley's jingle is going to get stuck in her head and later on she starts humming along to it. Do the other knights do the same or is that a unique beat for Batgirl?

Red Hood did that too.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    Spaffy wrote: »

Red Hood did that too.

Oh man that almost make me sad I didn't bring him along there. I really like Jason's voice actor. Honestly all of the voice actors for the main characters do a bang up job. Is this there first time voicing these characters?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Getting information from Harley was...honestly about as annoying as it should have been.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited October 2022
    Preach mentioned it before but even if youre not actively playing all the characters its worth switching to them whenever you get new personal quests to do theirs as well(and check their email while you're at it).

There's some real good stuff there.

DemonStacey on
    Preach mentioned it before but even if youre not actively playing all the characters its worth switching to them whenever you get new personal quests to do their as well(and check their email while you're at it).

There's some real good stuff there.

Yeah pretty much when one person gets a new personal quest, hit up the others and get theres too. It doesn't add like gameplay or anything, but the story beats between the knights is nice.

Plus then you'll see the pizza email. Though I'm sure the chuds would be upset about Rainbow hood.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yea its just nice character building.

And also I've been quite happy with how the batfam interacts.

I was mildly worried when people were saying CW style after watching story scenes(I was avoiding those).

Because this has so far been the least CW thing ever. Everyone is being helpful and supportive and reasonable and avoiding unnecessary drama. Its pretty refreshing!

Yeah everyone has been reasonable and no one in the bat fam is keeping a secret just to keep a secret JESUS SAM JUST TELL DEAN YOU STUPID OX!!!!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Something I've learned... for the love of god, use the elemental weapons that bosses are weak to. WIthout them, they become interminable, 20 minute+ slogs.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Ran into a bug where the Mini-Boss counter on Red Hood's Knighthood challenge won't increment up. Closed the game, hopefully relaunching it later fixes it.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Mods are starting to pop up, some simple ones like short capes, no capes (Edna Mode- mode), better rain, and aaaaah naked Nightwing.

Starting to get some epic weapon/suit drops, seeing some additional effects on them. Some of the harder crimes around town are ... starting to actually result in breaking a sweat which is nice. Those higher end freeze based enemies in a group can be real pricks.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Rocksteady's co-founders, Stefton Hill and Jamie Walker, have made the decision to leave the studio.

Which is really weird timing - you'd think they'd want to stick around for the release of Suicide Squad. They did note that the game is pretty much done, which, true. So this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    I did like if you use Batgirl's beyond costume she gets a magic scifi cape that shows up for her gliding and then like scifi pockets away when you aren't gliding.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Rocksteady's co-founders, Stefton Hill and Jamie Walker, have made the decision to leave the studio.

Which is really weird timing - you'd think they'd want to stick around for the release of Suicide Squad. They did note that the game is pretty much done, which, true. So this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Maybe?

We'll probably never know.

But it has taken them 7 years to make a new game from when Arkham Knight was released. It doesn't take 7 years to make a video game unless something goes horribly wrong.

I'm guessing there's a lot of behind the scenes drama, power struggle, and project management issues that we'll probably never know about.

I swear everytime I finish a story chapter something new unlocks. "Oh bike races, and another faction, and now a bunch of side characters for the random night crimes, oh and a bunch of caches with no indicator but Alfred doing a HEY LISTEN" GAME I WANT TO WIN!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited October 2022
    I had a little time to play last night so I got all the batarangs. I think tonight ill knock out the other two collectibles with actual rewards(fuck the pages I dont care about trophies).

Also my build is starting to feel busted. Electricity with whirlwind and endless momentum on NW is fantastic.

I have also found the joy of stunlocking via swapping status effects. So like while you can't start stacking the same effect on an enemy until it wears off you can stack a new one..

Stun with Electricity > stack up burn > while they are trying to put out the flames you can freely stun with Electricity again > repeat as needed.

Hard is no longer kicking my butt. It is I who am kicking butt now!

Although I still have not gotten a proper set of Knight Ops gear. Please game, drop one for me. I want to wear that forever and I cannot seem to get one that's not way lower level and common. I'll take any stats at this point!

DemonStacey on
    I just looked up a guide for the pages, the marks were hard as fuck to spot otherwise. Some of those are like "without a guide no fucking way."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Digital Foundry PC performance review and it really isn't surprising (especially to me as it is exactly what I was experiencing on a 6800XT/5600X with really wild performance in the open world). Overall, this is a game that needed more time in the oven and that executives, once again, have screwed over developers (this also probably explains why they canned the last generation versions of the game):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04r0zxenBUQ

That said, I'll get this again when its been discounted and hope this is succesfull as we need more superhero games that make you feel like you're a superhero and what I played of GK really nailed the feel (at least in combat); like I've been playing Spiderman on PC, and god damn did they nail the feeling of movement with Peter that I wish was in GK as well (no idea what traversal isn't on from the start) to go along with the combat. Fingers crossed they get a chance to do this again with a GK2.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Roll credits! Fun game.

My power level was a little low for the section immediately before the final level, so I decided to finally go and do the Batman caches - got a max level item AND mod out of nearly single one and then I basically face-rolled the last boss, it was practically impossible for me to die.

Strongly recommend saving those caches until right before the end-game.