As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rocksteady's [Suicide Squad] and WB Montreal's [Gotham Knights]

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh no New game + resets the travel challenges. NOOOOO

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    rahkeesh2000
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Finished the game. Is there a way to check my playtime?

I will say I enjoyed at the end of the game.

Batman being all "fuck the rich, fuck the cops, and fuck the politicians!" I mean Bruce you maybe could have done more to stop that instead of just beating up criminals, but hey at least you weren't "not all rich people."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Made some more progress.

Later game gear seems to be doing the thing that Assassins Creed games did where they take so many material that I dont want to make gear until I'm max level now since the difference between levels is so big. Not the biggest fan of that.

My build is basically complete though. Basically only 1 more skill left that will be useful in anyway so thats cool.

Been using ice and fire elements now. I like toxic a lot but league dudes being fully immune makes it kinda a no-no since they tend to have the toughest enemies.

1 of the villain side arcs fully complete. The others on the last step. Almost there!

I find end-game Regulators to be the most difficult enemy group. All the turret drones, exploding drones, and cryo damage makes them much more difficult in my opinion than League or Court enemies.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    The drone guys are the only annoying ones out of that group to me but I just focus them first and they aren't even immune to the ice damage.

So I can still hit them with both the fire and ice.

Whereas toxic just does nothing at all to the court guys.

So using ice/fire still has more usage and the fact that they are weak to the fire half means the build is still plenty string there anyway so no need for changing focus.

DemonStacey on
    Yeah drone dudes were the most annoying enemy for me, and they are annoying, but the league douche bags as Jason are just annoying as fuck because you can't grab them. Any of them, and that just sucks. Add to that their god damn ninja bullshit!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited November 2022
    I do kind of find it funny the largest character physically in Gotham Knights uses guns, the one weapon that doesn't benefit at all from extra strength. Now obviously Red hood leverages his size all over the game in other ways, still amusing.

I also totally figured out why I was fucking up spirit bullet. You have to initiate it and then like mark targets for it to hit, that's what you're doing in the charge up, you'll see a secondary icon under the enemies you've marked, that way when you fire it it'll actually do what its supposed to do.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    DemonStacey
    34 hours played to complete the campaign and close all case files.

Overall I really liked this game. Story and writing was fantastic. Music was good. Combat was okay, improved by higher level talents. Boss fights were big, epic, and memorable.

I never finished Arkham Knight so I'm gonna load that game up next. Maybe I can clear an old game out of my backlog.

(Bat-log)

PreacherDemonStaceyrahkeesh2000
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yeah drone dudes were the most annoying enemy for me, and they are annoying, but the league douche bags as Jason are just annoying as fuck because you can't grab them. Any of them, and that just sucks. Add to that their god damn ninja bullshit!

Pop whatever DOT (need moar dots) attack you have on them. Babs uses her batarang for it, works great. Kinda locks them up and then you can wreck them.

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Nosf wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

Pop whatever DOT (need moar dots) attack you have on them. Babs uses her batarang for it, works great. Kinda locks them up and then you can wreck them.

she can also hack the drone dude, which detonates all their active drones and shocks them for easy follow up attacks.

In-combat hacking is easy to forget but a huge force multiplier

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    PreacherFencingsax
    Wrapped up!

I'll say its a strong 3/5!

Had a very fun time. The limitations of the gear system definitely showed up towards the end. And the mods were weirdly lacking(seriously I only got 1 armor mod all game that wasn't health and it was armor +health)

But the story and characters were good and the combat was fun.

I'd say its roughly the same quality as the Guardians of the Galaxy game. With this having slightly better/ deeper combat and better progression while that has the slightly better story/writing.

Perfectly in time for Ragnarok!

I did end up downloading and starting Arkham Knight last night.

Oof.

Going straight from Gotham to Arkham is a bit of keybind whiplash. I was struggling so hard because everything is different. Grappling Hook is on the opposite trigger. Glide is bound to X. The D-Pad brings up a bunch of different menus.

And worst of all, the Batmobile uses Square for Brake instead of L2. This is an egregious sin against modern control schemes. Gas on R2, brake on Square. Their silly hover mode is bound to L2, so because my muscle memory for literally every driving game ever has brake on L2, I keep randomly going into hover mode while I'm driving around. It's super dumb.

There also does not seem to be any sort of alternate control setup. So I'm stuck with this weird-ass setup.

Hover Mode is a press-and hold mode. I'd prefer if they provided a setting to make it a toggle. And if it was a toggle, they could swap the keybinds for L2 and Square and the whole thing would just work so much better. Tap square once to enter hover mode, tap again to exit. Easy.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The Batmobile does have an alternate control setup, but it only becomes visible in the options after you've gone through the introduction section with it. If you've been given the afterburner after leaving the GCPD, it should be available by then.
    I defend a lot of Batmobile stuff in Knight, but that particular design decision is terrible and bad.
    The alternate scheme is pretty much what you're looking for (toggle mode for tank is there too).

Free tip for learning to not hate the batmobile quite so much; don't think of it as a car, think of it as a rocket powered shopping trolley. There's a lot of drift, but if you tap the afterburner after turning, that cuts down on the sliding around. You have to learn to drive videogame cars all over again, but with practice I could get pretty good.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    Qanamil
    Ahh ok. Good to know that it requires unlocking the Afterburner. I have done that. But I went searching in the settings right away, as soon as I was given control of the car for the first time and realized I didn't like it. And it wasn't there. Did not even cross my mind that they'd only populate extra settings on the menu after contact from Lucius Fox.

Will check that tonight when I get home from work.

I think the option appears right after your first proper tank fight at the movie studio.
    I don't know why Rocksteady insisted on doing it like that, but I'd guess they really wanted people to use their control scheme. I guess it has to work out okay eventually (they have playtesters and stuff, they had to have figured out the best way to do it), and I usually stick with default controls on the basis that the people who designed it have more experience at playing this game than I do, but I never managed to overcome my car driving muscle memory with Knight.

• PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    I rolled credits on GK last night. Some small quibbles, no majors bugs and some crashing issues that go ironed out in the patches between launch and now… I’m happy to say I enjoyed my time with it immensely. I’m moving onto GoW2 today but I’ll keep it installed to see what the DLC brings to the table.

I’m glad I ignored the prerelease coverage. The game steadily got more and more of its hooks in me.

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
    FencingsaxDemonStaceyPreacher
    Bad review coverage is still coming out for this game, and I don't get it. Gameranx posted a video like 3 days ago and completely blasted it.

Are these people playing a different game than we are?

Lucascraft wrote: »
    Bad review coverage is still coming out for this game, and I don't get it. Gameranx posted a video like 3 days ago and completely blasted it.

Are these people playing a different game than we are?

I don't know, I mean I guess if you focus on all the things you want the game to be and it isn't its disappointing? I have no idea. Like complaints about it being games as service feels silly since the game doesn't have any of that particular baggage in my opinion. Like I played avengers and this is not avengers at all, this feels way more fun to play than that did.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    LucascraftDemonStaceyPenumbra
    reviewers are band-wagoning hacks, its amazing they have any sort of cachet at this point.

Other than the crashes to desktop, I highly enjoyed my time playing Gotham Knights

steam_sig.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Viking wrote: »
    reviewers are band-wagoning hacks, its amazing they have any sort of cachet at this point.

Other than the crashes to desktop, I highly enjoyed my time playing Gotham Knights

You saying you "highly enjoyed" playing the game is a sort of review. This post is a common sentiment in bad corners of gamer culture, and it makes no sense if you think about it for 10 seconds. All the reviewers just get on the band wagon! By... doing their work independently and their opinions coming out similarly some of the time, but also not some of the time!

The reviews are their opinions, nothing more, nothing less. Why is their opinion hack while we're supposed to find your opinion compelling? There are reviewers who more or less agreed with you, are they also hacks? If not, isn't this just some weird egotrip? If so, are you just looking to insult people for no reason at all?

shoeboxjeddy on
    Shenl742furlion
    edited November 2022
    "professional games reviewers" not reviews in general.
    I honestly do not care what people think of my opinion, but I am not getting paid to provide it.

they are hacks when it becomes obvious they are just parroting the complaints of the guys before them in the chain. especially if those complaints are not accurate in the first place such as bemoaning the live service stuff shoehorned into the game.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    "professional games reviewers" not reviews in general.
    I honestly do not care what people think of my opinion, but I am not getting paid to provide it.

Okay, but they get paid to provide it whether it's good or bad, so does that matter? There have been famous cases of outlets being basically bribed to put their finger on the scale, but there are very popular indie review channels who also might, for example, really dislike Gotham Knights. I'm not sure why you'd have such a hostile take on their work, any more than an unpaid opinion on the topic.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    You'd think the whole embargo thing where everyone dumps their reviews at roughly the same time makes copying off each other rather challenging.

No possibility that multiple people independently hit on some of the same frustrations. I mean its not like they are playing the same game as each other or anything.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It’s also possible you guys are just really enjoying a game that the majority of people playing aren’t.

It happens, and there’s nothing wrong with it. Just enjoy the game.

Shenl742shoeboxjeddyQanamilBurnage
    I'm definitely not on the all reviews are hacks and game reviews are pointless bandwagon. Hell i gabe the game a 3/5 and had a very fun time with it so I'm actually in line with the average of reviews

But a few statements above are a bit off!

Firstly reviewers talk with eachother and discuss games they are reviewing. Thats extremely normal. Not saying that has anything to do with this, but the idea that they are all putting out reviews blind to eachother just isn't true.

And then making a statement like "a majority of people aren't enjoying it" is also pretty baseless and very overblown. Do we have some kind of numbers showing that over 50% of people who bought this game didn't enjoy it? I dont think so!

The reviews don't even show that. On metacritic its at 46% positive reviews, 49% mixed reviews and 3% negative reviews.

But also while we're at it how much any individual enjoys a game isn't really what a review is about in either direction. Someone not enjoying God of War doesn't mean it should be reviewed low. Someone having a lot of fun playing Bad Rats doesn't mean it should be reviewed well.

That said again some of the reviews for this game(not all of course) were absolutely reviewing the game based on what they wanted it to be instead of what it intended to be. Which right off the bat is a bad and biased review.

Penumbra
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    End of the day they made a smart move pivoting away from live service model even though that's clearly the intent of some of the things present, because it would have been an avengers level flop had they advertised it that way

Penumbra
  • Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I appreciate that all the gangs are devoted to gender inclusivity.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
    PreacherPenumbra
    edited November 2022
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I appreciate that all the gangs are devoted to gender inclusivity.

Gangs of Gotham are very forward thinking in that everyone can commit crimes and have their ass beaten by batman/one of his side kicks

I also appreciated I don't think there were many/any gender exlusive put downs? I don't recall anyone calling bat girl a bitch or other garbage that usually pops up in games like this.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Andy JoeDemonStacey
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    The graphics were glitching out on the bat cycle. I just updated the video drivers. See if that fixes it.
    I enabled DLSS and raytracing. I am getting some hitching and this is on a RTX 3070 on a laptop.
    I got everything set on high. I would think I could set it to highest.
    Hrrrrmmmmm....
    They really did not optimize this game.
    I may drop this to 1080p and see if that fixes it.

Krathoon on
    Krathoon wrote: »
    The graphics were glitching out on the bat cycle. I just updated the video drivers. See if that fixes it.
    I enabled DLSS and raytracing. I am getting some hitching and this is on a RTX 3070 on a laptop.
    Hrrrrmmmmm....

What's your CPU? That seems to be the big limiter for this game.

edited November 2022
    klemming wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Hrrrrmmmmm....

What's your CPU? That seems to be the big limiter for this game.

Here is the CPU.
    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz

I dropped it to 1080p and rode around on the batcycle. Still a tiny bit of hitching. Not massively annoying.
    Still, this should not be happening. I am using a SSD.

Edit: I played some more. It seems to be performing better. Either that or I am getting used to it.

Krathoon on
    I just saw a levitating bus. Janky ass game. Needs some more patching. Getting kind of funny. Reminds me of an Elder Scrolls game.

• Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Beat Gotham Knights tonight. Turning down the difficulty to Easy made the last stretch of boss fights feel pretty all right, not too spongey.

Might do collectibles cleanup later.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am enjoying this, even if on the occasion the game slideshows for about 5 -7 seconds for seeming no reason.

Also, I don't know what the green icon at the bottom left means

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Despite some technical glitches, I overall enjoyed the game and the story. A real Solid 7-8/10, I think

DemonStacey
    And now there's been a big leak for Suicide Squad looking to confirm that yes, it is GaaS with a battle pass and all.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    At this point to avoid another Gotham nights they just need to release it as is and hopefully their vision is good

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Whelp, I just saw the leak as well and yep, Suicide Squad has a battle pass and all. Fortunately I had no interest in a Suicide Squad game, but yikes, that kills any chance I give it a go. I'm so done with GaaS garbage and battle passes and multiple currencies.

To be fair though, Any Robinson tweeted this context out:

I'm guessing that this is how they had to adjust after the disaster of Avengers and make it all cosmetic, but it is still the GaaS game that was rumored from the start. Also, using the 'it's all cosmetic' reasoning for the battle pass isn't the positive I think Andy thinks it is. It's there to force players to grind for alternate costumes and such that should just be regular unlockables within the game. It's the same garbage excuse they tried to use for Avengers battle passes, but they gave was a boring, grindy slog.

It's hugely disappointing considering how much I love the Arkham games and Rocksteady.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    DemonStacey
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    In other news, I'm getting close to finishing Gotham Knights and I really wish more people gave it a go. The game is excellent. I love the Action RPG take on a Batman game. The story is fun and I'm having a blast exploring the city. I am loving the interactions between the four main characters. Even the way you upgrade and equip new weapons isn't that bad. I was a bit worried about collecting materials to build new equipment, but stopping crimes and doing missions has given me so many materials and blueprints that I've never had an issue just quickly building new stuff between missions and patrols. It's all quick and super simple.

As long as a person goes in knowing it isn't trying to be an Arkham game, then I think it can be quite an enjoyable experience. The game definitely can be quite buggy but so was Arkham Origins. Nothing game breaking and most of it is funny bugs like a flying bus or a bad guy getting stuck in the wall when you beat them.

I have quite enjoyed my time with it and look forward to finishing it here in the next day or two.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    DemonStaceyPenumbraFencingsax